AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-09-02, 00:29   Link #161
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Seriously? Stage? Now I am enrage! Will the so call victim get the part though?
Old 2012-09-02, 00:29   Link #162
Sumeragi
Banned

I would say in the end Kokoro Connect will overcome this.
Old 2012-09-02, 00:31   Link #163
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonbee View Post
Seriously? Stage? Now I am enrage! Will the so call victim get the part though?
The part doesn't exist because the character doesn't exist, that was the issue in the first place.
Old 2012-09-02, 00:31   Link #164
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
I would say in the end Kokoro Connect will overcome this.
Thank GOD! I hope your right! I don't care for the VA themselves and getting replacements, wouldn't feel right. Just like Hunter X Hunter.

Ibana VA did was not involve at all right?
Old 2012-09-02, 00:47   Link #165
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonbee View Post
Ibana VA did was not involve at all right?
Not actively. However, lots of people were passively involved (including Eufonius, until Hajime Kikuchi made that tweet and drew himself into the prank) in that they knew what was going on but ignored it or quietly derived enjoyment from it.

That's how bullying works. There's no way this stunt could've been pulled off without the cast and core staff all in on it together.

(BTW, active participants include the show's director and sound director, so they can't exactly distance themselves from the prank. They're the ones who held the audition, wrote the lines, gave the instructions, made the video, etc.)
Old 2012-09-02, 01:05   Link #166
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
What they are saying is everything is staged. People misunderstood the context and the blame is solely on thise who uploaded the video.

Very political in a sense that some of those involved cannot be touched, so they are going to swept everything under the carpet and pretend nothing had happened.
I think, to be a bit more precise, they are saying that people with a specific agenda uploaded the content in order to cause this controversy. That they took someone that was intended as an act, and made something sinister out of it that was never intended.

I guess basically this whole story depends on the fact that the actor in question did not know he was being setup; that, in fact, the real acting job he was being paid for was to play this role of the gipped voice actor (sort of an act within an act). That, in truth, even this role was all part of his promo job for this production. But I guess it also depends on what all the actors and other players knew, or thought they knew.

In the end, for all the controversy this has caused, I can see how a lot of the people involved may have been under the impression that everyone else was "in" on the joke (including the actor in question), when in fact some people may not have been told and then had to make up for themselves whether this is a joke or not. The problem is that we may never know for sure; even if the central actor involved came forward now and said "no, this was all an act, and I knew about it beforehand", people would say that he was bullied/coerced into making that statement just so the controversy goes away. So, in the end, it'll just end up as a sort of urban legend that they hope time will bury.

Personally, I have a really hard time believing that so many people were involved in a stunt that was designed strictly to play on someone's misery and be aware that the person involved wouldn't know and that they wouldn't realize this was part of the act. If that's actually what happened, then I just see it as a case of a stray idea that went terribly wrong in the execution, rather than something that's outright sinister. Like I could see someone saying afterwards "wait, wait, wait... you didn't tell him?!" "Well, we thought it'd be more realistic this way..." "You idiot..."
Old 2012-09-02, 01:10   Link #167
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

This incident mirrors the recent school bullying that happened in Japan, only little less serious. People involved in bullying also pretty much swept it over as if it's nothing unusual. As much as I like Japanese Culture, sometimes, they play real dumb by letting some offenders go with the light punishments.

Is Japan having a show 'Punk'd' of their own? At least the victim should receive some repercussion fee for public humiliation.
Old 2012-09-02, 01:29   Link #168
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
^

Screencap for good measures :-

What they are saying is everything is staged. People misunderstood the context and the blame is solely on thise who uploaded the video.

Very political in a sense that some of those involved cannot be touched, so they are going to swept everything under the carpet and pretend nothing had happened.
"I'm sorry for bullying the guy. You know, it's staged! Sure, we embarrassed the guy and hurt him mentally, but people are misunderstanding!

And you know, we don't allow unauthorized use of video and audio, so we are gonna try and punish the people who released these things and got us into trouble! Damn, I hate those guys! If it wasn't for them... If it wasn't for them...!"

In other words:
Luke: "I'm not wrong! I'm not wrong!"

PS:If the staff REALLY feels sorry like the message says, they should maybe quit or something. After all, it seems that it isn't the first time Yamanaka has bullied someone.

PSS: Hyaha!
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm18744286
The staff has finally started to move, trying to delete anything involved with the incident.
By the way, this video has the VAs (explained in video explanation) talking about the incident or talking to the victim. In general, Sugita and Mingos gives a good impression while the first two (rather no-names) were having................... their good times.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2012-09-02, 02:15   Link #169
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

This all seems very weak to me - a pathetic attempt to try and recast what happened in a less incriminating light. I really don't think most people are going to buy it, and in fact it just increases the contempt I feel for the perps - even now that they've been caught red-handed - on video no less - they won't own up. They're still trying to pretend it's all a misunderstanding. Public figures just never learn - it's rarely the act that ruins you, it's the coverup.

In terms of Kokoro Connect "overcoming" this, I'm not sure what that even means. It wasn't going to sell well, and it wasn't going to have a second season either way. I think it'll finish airing and probably see all the extra eps finished, so in the end I don't think this will have mattered for the show apart from a few hundred fewer discs sold. I hope it doesn't effect the writer and illustrator, who had nothing to do with any of it. The ones who may not "overcome" this are Yamanaka and the two VAs directly involved - their careers may well suffer for this, and they probably should. I don't think their careers should end as a result, but they certainly have no basis to complain if work gets a little harder to come by for a while.
Old 2012-09-02, 02:41   Link #170
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

"We're very sorry from the smallest corner somewhere in our hearts"

Oh well, if they think this is gonna help then screw them. Otaku would still boycott their products, and who else but otaku ever buys them?
Old 2012-09-02, 03:07   Link #171
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

I think the real victim of this debacle, other than Ichiki, obviously, is poor, poor Eri Kitamura.
Seriously, I'm actually pretty furious that that happened.
Old 2012-09-02, 03:08   Link #172
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Yeah, I'm completely with Guardian Enzo on this. This really sounds like grasping at straws for PR Damage Control to me.

I like Kokoro Connect and it's really unfortunate that something like this has happened to the KC franchise (I especially feel for the writer of the KC novels), but it was selling poorly (as an anime) anyway. It's not like this controversy makes the difference between a likely 2nd season and no 2nd season - a 2nd season was unlikely in any event. This just makes it even more unlikely.
Old 2012-09-02, 03:15   Link #173
Sumeragi
Banned

1. Overcome as in the general franchise, meaning this incident wouldn't be hitting the novels or the manga.

2. While I have to say I usually don't say much about a second season, it is to my belief that a second season is still quite possible. Regardless of the profitability of the anime, it has done a pretty nice job as advertisement. Of course, I tend to be optimistic when it comes to my favored series, but given where the anime is supposed to stop, not making a second season is probably going to be a bit hard to swallow among the core fans.
Old 2012-09-02, 03:16   Link #174
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Soliloquy: This is the reason why I made that connection between this incident and Jigoku Shoujo is because the story is roughly the same. It shows the really, really bad side of Japanese culture — no, scratch that — make that human nature.

Yeah, it sucks that KitaEri had to suffer because of some rumor that linked her with one of the culprits. I hope that the wounds created by this fiasco on Eri's heart would heal soon.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2012-09-02, 03:37   Link #175
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
PSS: Hyaha!
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm18744286
The staff has finally started to move, trying to delete anything involved with the incident.
By the way, this video has the VAs (explained in video explanation) talking about the incident or talking to the victim. In general, Sugita and Mingos gives a good impression while the first two (rather no-names) were having................... their good times.
The original video on Nico that sparks this scandal had already been taken down. It will not be long before they get to the Youtube copies.

If the studio and their staffs who are involved in the incident are truly victim of a smear campaign as they claim they are, why the need for such measures ?
Old 2012-09-02, 03:40   Link #176
Sumeragi
Banned

Why not? The inherent mistrust seems to be going out of hand also.
Old 2012-09-02, 03:47   Link #177
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

If this is their way of damage containment and control, the current climate is not in their favor.
Old 2012-09-02, 03:55   Link #178
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
In fact, with that kind of... damage control... or at least I'm trying to say that believably (I'm being a bit sarcastic here), it's going to do the reverse...?

Seems people there (speaking from a "I don't know how people there do things" POV) depend on "erase the 'evidence,' let it die out" a lot huh?

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Old 2012-09-02, 04:26   Link #179
tenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Yeah, I'm completely with Guardian Enzo on this. This really sounds like grasping at straws for PR Damage Control to me.

I like Kokoro Connect and it's really unfortunate that something like this has happened to the KC franchise (I especially feel for the writer of the KC novels), but it was selling poorly (as an anime) anyway. It's not like this controversy makes the difference between a likely 2nd season and no 2nd season - a 2nd season was unlikely in any event. This just makes it even more unlikely.
Mediocre sales is one thing. It's now not selling at all. They're also cancelling things they did not intend to cancel (e.g. the radio show; the CD was supposed to come out on 9/26, wonder what's going to happen to that now). This controversy makes it from maybe not making a whole lot of money to losing money. And it could have the potential to spill over to other things (anyone think that Eufonius might be in for a world of hurt for the time being? Poor Riya...)

As for the PR response now...it's like they're reading from the "The Bad PR Handbook". They're already going with the "it's taken out of context" move and also trying the "hey, we're the victims here" (illegal upload of stuff), along with the "we're sorry you got offended" move. What's next, Kikuchi going with the "my Twitter was hacked" or the equally believable "my brother/friend got a hold of my phone" moves? The apology is like shooting oneself in the foot, then pouring gasoline all over it and then lighting it on fire. Kokoro Connect sales were going to tank; are they trying to get all of King Records' shows to tank in the future? It would have been better if there was no "apology", seriously.
Old 2012-09-02, 04:55   Link #180
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

http://ameblo.jp/garoumow/entry-11344293982.html
Ichiki broke his silence.

He just says that while it's true that he was kept in the dark about the audition being fake, he just takes the disappointment in his stride as part of the job. He didn't expect the entire thing to get out of hand, too as he didn't harbour any ill will towards those supposed "bullies". Everything was taken out of context and Ichiki chided those who makes things seem worse than they really are. Finally, he express his apologies to those who are now under disterss because of the percieved crime aganist him.

How one makes of this statement is his own decision. Ichiki might be sincere about this or he could be under order to downplay the issue for fear of losing his job. At least we get a comment from the victim now. The timing between the blog entry and the official apology is kind of uncanny though.

Last edited by MakubeX2; 2012-09-02 at 06:07.
Closed Thread