AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-15, 14:57   Link #1381
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post
as my knowledge of vehicles is limited, I imagine the jeep was made of steel compared to what some modern cars are made from?
Its more likely that older cars were not build to have crumble zones that take the energy out of the collision. So, that impulse of the impact is lessened for the occupants of the cars. In that case, the old car was just sturdy, but when it collides with anything but a modern car is definitly more deadly for the driver.
Cars these days are made to crumble everywhere except for the passenger compartment - so its not an aspect of quality but safety.

Thats rather off topic though
Old 2012-10-15, 15:27   Link #1382
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, I have an '85 Olds I drive for fun. Solid as a rock (steel from front to back) and a deathtrap for anyone inside. Nothing crumples anywhere, no airbags, and a steering column that would skewer the driver. The passenger's face would simply crumble on the dash even with the crappy shoulder-seat belts of the time.

In contrast, I had a '90 300Z at one point that I was in a multi-car collision - I hit the concrete guardrail head on at about 50mph (I know because I looked just as it happened). Walked away from it - the force had crinkled the front of the car to half its original length.

I guess we're talking about this because one can only tolerate swimming neck deep in counterfactual 'realities' for so long.
Old 2012-10-15, 15:32   Link #1383
Ruby Princess

So you're saying that there's a big difference between cars of the mid-1980s and those of the early 1990s? Hmm...
Old 2012-10-15, 15:39   Link #1384
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Princess View Post
So you're saying that there's a big difference between cars of the mid-1980s and those of the early 1990s? Hmm...
That was a transition period to new technologies. Most late '80s cars looked a bit deranged tech-wise in retrospect, like transitional species. The evolution since then has been a bit more incremental aside from hybrid engines.

Okay, now we're really off topic. Back to the election:
Romney collects $170M for final ad push
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ce-final-push/
However, the "secret donor" "non-profit" SuperPACs for the GOP are dumping millions to overwhelm Dem fund raising. Problem: Secret donor == difficult to tell if donor monies are foreign or not (legal consequences).

On the social conservative front:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012...exually-active

One of the ways I tell that many "social conservative" shriek issues come down to a fear that somewhere someone is having fun and they need to punished -- rather than the smokescreen concerns they raise.
Old 2012-10-15, 15:44   Link #1385
Ruby Princess

Vexx, do you think it would be a helpful technology if, upon detecting a crash, the car immediately teleported all its passengers to a CRF (Crash Recovery Facility) so quickly that nobody in the wreck could come to harm? I hope to become a scientist and invent that someday. ^^; (No joke)
Old 2012-10-15, 15:49   Link #1386
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Princess View Post
Vexx, do you think it would be a helpful technology if, upon detecting a crash, the car immediately teleported all its passengers to a CRF (Crash Recovery Facility) so quickly that nobody in the wreck could come to harm? I hope to become a scientist and invent that someday. ^^; (No joke)
o.O I think you'd make a lot more money selling that as a complete replacement for transportation in general. But there are a few technical details to overcome (understatement of the century).
Old 2012-10-15, 15:53   Link #1387
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Why use a car when you have a transporter? (if all you are doing is going from A to B)

As for cars and regulations, it depends on how old your car is. In California, if your car was build before 1976, that it is exempt from emissions regulations, unless it gets sighted as a "gross polluter" by someone. Which would be smoke and such coming out of it at all times basically. I drive a 1972 Dodge Dart. The last time it was Smogged was when I got it about 15 years ago. It ran as good as a 1990 Lincoln Town Car for all the testing was concerned.

We've since removed some of the older emissions reduction materials added on during the late 1970s and 1980s. Mostly because they were starting to fail and make the car run poorly (vacuum leaks). It was far simplier to remove the items than repair them since they did not effect the car's performance when removed, and the car no longer needed to be checked for emissions.
Old 2012-10-15, 16:05   Link #1388
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
On the social conservative front:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012...exually-active

One of the ways I tell that many "social conservative" shriek issues come down to a fear that somewhere someone is having fun and they need to punished -- rather than the smokescreen concerns they raise.
I can't tell if this ''punishing fun'' reason is a worse reason than the '' I have no real proof but I belive than the vaccine is dangerous'' than Bachmann use.
Old 2012-10-15, 16:40   Link #1389
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
I can't tell if this ''punishing fun'' reason is a worse reason than the '' I have no real proof but I belive than the vaccine is dangerous'' than Bachmann use.
I have a real personal problem with a parent who would rather their daughter get this cancer because "she made a mistake" than to protect her.
Old 2012-10-15, 17:21   Link #1390
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

In a 80s Jeep on Prius collision, I think bumper heights might also play a role. I don't think weight plays much of a role - contrary to popular belief, modern cars aren't actually that light, and for a while new models were frequently heavier than those they replaced. Based on the speaks I'm seeking, a Nissan Leaf weights about the same as a (stock) 87 Jeep XJ (a bit over 1500kg), and a Prius is well over 1300kg as well. Those battery packs add weight, though even my dad's 2012 Elantra is well over 1200kg. Only the Smart car is dramatically lighter, and despite some lip service to the US market in the more recent generations it wasn't exactly designed with the US market in mind.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2012-10-15, 17:41   Link #1391
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, I think SmartCars are cute as a bug - but I wouldn't use them on a highway. Village driving, getting to the train station, downtown ... yeah, sure, but that's all. Strictly urban puttputt.
Old 2012-10-15, 17:47   Link #1392
Lightning_Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye, I think SmartCars are cute as a bug - but I wouldn't use them on a highway. Village driving, getting to the train station, downtown ... yeah, sure, but that's all. Strictly urban puttputt.
Perhaps the viability of Smart Cars as used as a more long-distance travel vehicle would increase if they got more abundant and larger transportation became segregated onto different highways.

I would imagine that this would take a fairly severe amount of change to the auto industry as a whole, however, and segregating the large interstates and other highways would be quite costly. But, it's certainly possible that this trend would occur and probably hold, especially if gasoline (and oil as a whole) continues to be a rather volatile market.
Old 2012-10-15, 17:53   Link #1393
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

They look like they will ger crushed, not only by the semitrucks with trails, but by jus about any full sized car or truck on the road. They remind me of the Ford Ka we saw in Scotland around 2001.

(Political news should pick up again tomorrow for the debates.)
Old 2012-10-15, 18:02   Link #1394
Lightning_Wing

(ignores above post)

EDIT: Post was removed anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
They look like they will ger crushed, not only by the semitrucks with trails, but by jus about any full sized car or truck on the road. They remind me of the Ford Ka we saw in Scotland around 2001.

(Political news should pick up again tomorrow for the debates.)
That's what I mean though, is that if there would be more Smart Cars and less larger vehicles then there would be less of a chance for such a collision, the playing field would be more even.

But as of now, yes Smart Cars would be smashed by any other larger vehicle. There's just way too much momentum in average vehicles compared to smaller Smart Cars.
Old 2012-10-15, 18:07   Link #1395
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

You likely won't be able to remove the larger cars because things still need to be transported from place to place long distances and short distances. That's why they are large vans and tractor-trailer trucks moving up and down the freeways in large numbers.

And that is before you get down to non-commercial cars and trucks, and the need for people to move stuff around, or just larger numbers of people around. SMART cars are too small for things like that.
Old 2012-10-15, 18:07   Link #1396
james0246

Okay, please move on from the Cars discussion (I'm personally surprised no one commented on GundamFam seemingly killing others with his jeep (I imagine similarly to Kurt Russel from Death Proof )...but whatever)).
Old 2012-10-15, 19:51   Link #1397
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

Quote:
I'm personally surprised no one commented on GundamFam seemingly killing others with his jeep (I imagine similarly to Kurt Russel from Death Proof )...but whatever)).
I lol'ed.
Old 2012-10-15, 22:05   Link #1398
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Okay, please move on from the Cars discussion (I'm personally surprised no one commented on GundamFam seemingly killing others with his jeep (I imagine similarly to Kurt Russel from Death Proof )...but whatever)).
Ha, ha.
Like I'm the friggin Road Warrior or something.

When I can buy a Jeep that looks like this...then I'll be happy.

Seriously though, would you mind, James, if I started an automobile thread?
Of course I'll be babbling on and on about jeeps, but that's not to say other peopel here might not want to talk about their favorite autos.
What do you say?
Old 2012-10-15, 22:14   Link #1399
Ruby Princess

If I can start a six word thread about spiders, I'm sure you can start a thread about cars. XD
Old 2012-10-15, 23:38   Link #1400
james0246

There is already a general car appreciation thread. It is the ideal location for these discussions...
Closed Thread