AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-04, 13:40   Link #201
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyougaElliot View Post
On the topic of Shounen readership here in Japan, I think one of the most interesting elements is how different it is than in the states.

A LARGE portion of the readers of Shounen manga are women. In fact, all character shops and doujin shops will at any time be crowded with women buying items of their favorite shounen series characters. This includes all the major Jump players of course.

A week ago I went to Comic City at Tokyo Big Sight, and 95% of the material being sold there were yaoi doujin for the big manga series. 98% of the crowd that went were women.

The only sections you find Japanese men in at anime/manga shops in Japan, are the ones with pink backdrops, frills, and Clannad/Kanon/Air-esque characters present. It's an interesting split that women are more interested in supporting their favorite shounen series and discussing it then men are. Sure, men read it, but they aren't the ones buying posters of Allen Walker, Tsuna, Zoro, Kakashi, etc.

Every Jump author seems to knows this. It's why Reborn panders to females, it's why Kubo draws attractive characters; the female fan base is what brings in an extremely large amount of the popularity, thus it is more important to cater to them at least on some level.

It's truly a fascinating subject to be honest, and we should start a separate thread for it because I feel like there are a lot of opinions on the subject.

On the topic of the manga, something tells me they're gonna win this round. They've yet to really have any HUGE victories for themselves yet, and this is a great place to start now that they finally have a great concept.
yaoi fangirls are scary
Old 2009-04-04, 16:51   Link #202
AcroDave
Go Chrome or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
They really arent a normal couple at all lol. My fiancee live next door.. we went for breakfast, lunch, and dinner together everyday.. and still have the urge to talk through the phone several times a day @.@
Agreed. I really don't understand where they're going with Mashiro x Azuki. Having a relationship with someone is a distraction from making your dreams come true?!? O-kay....

Anyway, this manga continues to impress me. Who would think that a story that contains mostly talking, drawing, meetings and paperwork could be so engrossing.
Old 2009-04-04, 20:20   Link #203
Nosauz

I love this atypical romance, with constant bombardment of harems and wierd love polygons this is quite refreshing and cute, even though their idealism IS SOOOOOOO out of this world.
Old 2009-04-04, 21:45   Link #204
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
I love this atypical romance, with constant bombardment of harems and wierd love polygons this is quite refreshing and cute, even though their idealism IS SOOOOOOO out of this world.
I don't, actually. It doesn't feel very romantic, like the first few chapters was. It's just...there. And I can't help but feel that Azuki will dump him with a straight face the moment they achieve their "dream."
Old 2009-04-04, 22:55   Link #205
Nosauz

Well love may be too extreme, I felt that the romantic tones in his uncle's story were very bittersweet which makes me want him to succeed, I guess their relationship is somewhat like misato and kaji but with less issues. Yes in recent chapters I've found the romance to be a lot more dull than earlier when it was fresh, now its just plain awkward at times especially when takagi is basically acting as bruja or go between.
Old 2009-04-05, 15:20   Link #206
Dark Mage

I also want him to succeed where his uncle failed but its like what Irenicus said in the above post "I can't help but feel that Azuki will dump him with a straight face the moment they achieve their "dream." because comeon if you don't talk enough the charm is gonna get less effective and their attraction towards each other is bound to lessen. If Azuki's mom could dump his uncle, I guess the daughter can do the same
Old 2009-04-05, 15:39   Link #207
Nosauz

this is a freaking manga, in real life yes, but whereas there is this history, his uncle her mom, yadda yadda, its a story and the premise is an interesting idealistic look at a love. Is it the social norm? no, is it even somewhat practicle? no. But for the sake of the story early portions were endearing, where as now it just plays out as awkward in current social standards of courtship.
Old 2009-04-05, 19:05   Link #208
AcroDave
Go Chrome or Go Home

Quote:
this is a freaking manga, in real life yes, but whereas there is this history ... its a story and the premise is an interesting idealistic look at a love.
I actually think the story would be more interesting (and realistic) if Mashiro had a girlfriend first, and then it explores how he tries to find time for his love-life and his manga passion. Who can't relate to trying to balance all the demands of your life? It's almost too easy for these guys (parents are supportive, get handed keys to studio full of everything they need, both girlfriends behind them 100%).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
I can't help but feel that Azuki will dump him with a straight face the moment they achieve their "dream."
Well, Azuki is the one who wants them to wait... so if there's any 'justice' it will be Mashiro dumping her for some other girl. Actually, I sort of hope that's what happens. I think the moral of the story should be 'don't put the rest of your whole life on hold while you pursue your dreams' - but we'll see I guess.

Quote:
I guess their relationship is somewhat like misato and kaji but with less issues.
But Misato & Kaji already had an intimate relationship, then they broke up. Even his uncle had a friendship with Azuki's mom, before they started writing each other. Mashiro & Azuki have only talked a couple of times, and have never even been on a date! You can't build a solid relationship with someone via email, and I hope that the story will show this (unlikely though).
Old 2009-04-06, 00:19   Link #209
Nosauz

why does it matter? the mangakas clearly like this idea of untainted love, and are using it. Doesn't make it any less real, it just shows you what type of people Mashiro and azuki are, and with takagi, he and satsuki act as a foil, basically its to contrast two differing types of relationships albiet one is farfetched in reality while the other is to social norms. And Mashiro's Uncle and Azuki's mother were not friends, they just were aquainted with each other through class. Similar to Mazuki.
Old 2009-04-06, 01:48   Link #210
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Let me put this clearly: I'm the idealistic type. I'm the kind of idiot who believes in True Love and Soul Mates and Passion and pink skies and fluffy clouds all that sort of thing. I'm the airhead whose favorite song is Kiss Me from Sixpence None the Richer. I can't stand overly realistic relationships in my manga or the ones where they get all complicated and tangled up. I like the perfect happy endings straight from Jane Austen. I'm supposed to be the one loving their "pure love."

And I thought it was cute. For the first few chapters.

But now I feel nothing when the topic of their "love" comes up. It just feels so fake, so empty, like a statement of an empirical fact rather than any sort of passionate, idealistic love. It's like the authors put it there just because it was supposed to be there; like they forgot for a while writing about more interesting things and come back to it because someone -- their editor? Ha! -- reminds them that it was there. If that's what you don't feel, fine, but that's what I feel -- and I think what a lot of other people feel as well when they read the manga.
Old 2009-04-06, 11:54   Link #211
kakakka

TBH, I also think that, with the way they handle their relationship, Mashiro and Azuki won't last very long. I can see it clearly being like what happened to his uncle. Very sad end for a relationship...
Old 2009-04-06, 12:14   Link #212
Dark Mage

Yeah i think the same thing as at first it was cute and idealistic but now its just is and if I am not wrong they are already starting to drift apart which will eventually result in what happened with his uncle. I mean, what's wrong with even talking on the phone, that's just plain stupid if you dont even talk when you can't see each other
Old 2009-04-06, 15:57   Link #213
REEPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakakka View Post
TBH, I also think that, with the way they handle their relationship, Mashiro and Azuki won't last very long. I can see it clearly being like what happened to his uncle. Very sad end for a relationship...
True, but they never really had a relationship to begin with
Old 2009-04-06, 16:13   Link #214
kakakka

Aren't they engaged or something?
Old 2009-04-06, 16:18   Link #215
Nosauz

The relationship is pretty benign at this point, but there was some genius in the begining like the scene were she says she'll wait forever, unlike her mother. I understand how now its worn off, then novelty and the cuteness, but the story is still young give it time. I actually wasn't all that into most of the romance going on in Ichigo 100% till a lot later in the series. It really just depends on how this all plays out.
Old 2009-04-10, 16:13   Link #216
Cinocard

Wow, chap 33 is out. What an intense chapter. 2 newbies and 2 veteran. One of the newcomers will be out. I seriously still think that's Ashirogi will not be accepted. After all this, if the next chapter all they're gonna do is screaming "hell yes," it would feel really not right.
Old 2009-04-10, 16:44   Link #217
bahamut zero
miragecoordinator

I crushed my mouse at the last page, what a cliffhanger >__>
Old 2009-04-10, 16:46   Link #218
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Arrrgghhhhh! They love to keep us in suspense. D:
Old 2009-04-10, 17:05   Link #219
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

taht is sooooooooooooooooo wrong. i kept getting a feeling that this would happen but, when it actully happen it's just so fustrating. as i was reading it i kept trying to go to the last page but, always held back.

i think Fukada will be the one that is out. they were saying about how it was all the same. after reading this chapter Aoki has a huge chance IMO.
Old 2009-04-10, 17:11   Link #220
DeotoxSlayer

The thing is though, 2 of the 3 could be out because there's that other newcomer that they were talking about. the one that only started reading manga about a year ago.
Closed Thread

Tags
manga, shounen