AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Asatte no Houkou

Notices

Old 2006-10-26, 12:31   Link #261
angel_wing0
心の番だよ ^o^

Send a message via MSN to angel_wing0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastPrime View Post
When I first read about this show I decided to give it a pass because I was expecting some kind of ecchi comedy. But then I read that it was a serious show so I decided to check it out. So far it seems to be one of this seasons best shows.
same with me. (i just started watching yesterday....all 3 eps)

It's getting better and better, i wonder what hiro will do now knowing that her sister (gulp) became an adult...and what will happen to little pepper shouko
angel_wing0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-26, 12:47   Link #262
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
epiosde 3 was one of the best so far imo. The emotion involved was great and we get to see just how the girls are coming to grips with their new reality.

Spoiler for episode3:
Old 2006-10-26, 12:56   Link #263
martino
makes no files now

This series hasn't let me down in episode 3 neither. It's been getting better and better since the start...

We have finally gotten an inside into both Shouko's and Karada's life. I was actually about to ask whether Karada was blood related to Hiro. Now I finally have an answer, and with her grown up this could become and interesting romance triangle... *wishes for it silently*
Old 2006-10-26, 13:10   Link #264
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImClueless View Post
...Also, where the hell was Hiro and Shouko staying in the US? That bedroom was HUGE. Not the typical flat you would find college students in.
I think it's not really any specific city, just generic US for Japanese consumption. The street signs were "Boston" and "...ngton". There may or may not be a "Boston Street" in Boston, but it would be more likely somewhere else, since you're already in Boston. New Haven? It was made to look like an older eastern city, anyway. And I have actually been in a friend's student apartment in Boston that looked very much like that, including old-fashioned kitchen and big bed/sitting room with bay window...and cockroaches, I presume, which would probably lower the rent.

As for why they looked better in the past: they are four years of depression older. Hiro doesn't seem to shave much, and combs his hair over his eyes, lol. But actually, I think Shouko looks just as good, only older and thinner-faced.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-26, 13:29   Link #265
Vulcannis

Ah, finally! I had to stop reading the thread for all the ep. 3 spoilers--I was going through withdrawl.

When I heard the "not blood siblings" part I initially thought the worst... but then I realized that even if they went that route, as long as the kept up with the quality they've shown in the first 3 episodes I'd be quite happy with the series.

Now I'm not going to read the manga spoiler, but the "never saw that coming" line got me thinking... what would be the wackiest resolution to all this? I think that Hiro and Tetsuya swapping ages would definitely qualify. Anyone have any others?

The reference to "that summer" in the OP though makes me think their condition is only temporary.

As for convincing Hiro, really it shouldn't be that hard. Just get him to keep asking questions that no one else would know until he's satisfied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
As for why they looked better in the past: they are four years of depression older. Hiro doesn't seem to shave much, and combs his hair over his eyes, lol. But actually, I think Shouko looks just as good, only older and thinner-faced.
I think the older Shouko actually looks better. A bit on the thin side perhaps, but the long hair and slightly more mature look really works for her. Hiro on the other hand really let himself go.
Vulcannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-26, 13:48   Link #266
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
Im wondering after everything is said and done will Shouko and Hiro try to rekindle their romance in her present state that could be asmusing to watch
Amusing? More like painful, if you ask me.

Quote:
Ah, but it only takes very little to perk initial interest. Those of us with blogs, all we have to do is post a few more screenshots (make em' fairly large), suggestive or otherwise, on our blogs and voila, I'm sure the download count for this show will start to tick up.
I don't think just screenshots will do the trick, they can't do more than just hint a bit about the amazingly crafted atmosphere of the series. The screenshots simply don't scream "Check out this series as soon as possible!" to me but then again I had not even seen a single screenshot of it before reading Kaoru Chujo's recommendation of it in the Simoun thread and deciding to check it out. So my perception might be a bit different to that of those who have stumbled upon a screenshot knowing nothing about Asatte no Houkou.

Quote:
I don't think its been brought up before, but is Karada going to at some point realize/find out just what sort of relationship Shouko and Hiro had?
Considering they tend to quarrel about their relationship often enough, we should expect she will realise it. Plus, it would be a waste from a dramatic point of view to keep her ignorant about this, she needs to know it in order to see how she will cope of the guilt of being guilty (or at least blamed somewhat by Shouko) for their breaking up.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-26, 13:58   Link #267
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcannis View Post
I think the older Shouko actually looks better. A bit on the thin side perhaps, but the long hair and slightly more mature look really works for her. Hiro on the other hand really let himself go.
Hear, hear. To tell the truth, pre-chibi!Shouko was, no wait, is still one of the primary attractions for me in this show. I know it sounds boorish and shallow of me, but its true; I do freely admit that I find long-figured women with a mature mind very attractive, even if it were a bit on the cynical side.

In response to the above: In the past, a signature I made from screenshots of Honey and Clover (Rika and Hanamoto-sensei, to be specific) garnered me several private messages asking about what anime it was. I suppose if a few of us here put in a little effort to promote this overlooked gem, it could do a great deal to raise its profile, here and elsewhere.

*Goes off to make a new sig*

I very much look forward to how Shouko and Hiro's past relationship will be revealed to Karada (assuming, probably, that she will learn of it). Will Hiro tell her after she confronts him? That seems more likely that Shouko telling her herself, as it does not seem fitting of her character to place the guilt on Karada, despite her initial hostility towards the little girl for whom Hiro dumped her.
Old 2006-10-26, 14:05   Link #268
JediNight
キズランダム

I think that there is a good chance for Karada to convince Hiro in Ep4 of what happened. The problem is it requires her to be rational and realize she has to just keep rattling off every little thing they've ever done together -- so much that Hiro realizes she couldn't have just talked with Karada to get the info -- but really IS Karada. AND it requires that Hiro stick around long enough to listen to all of it.

Part of the problem so far is that Shouko has been sending mixed messages to Hiro. One minute she's talking about her "older sister" and saying she called on the phone, etc. The next she's claiming to actually BE Shouko, and the amount of info given isn't more than she could have heard "Shouko" complaining about over the last 4 years.

The real hope with Karada is that it's only been a couple days now, so there's no way that she could have told her entire "life story" to someone else to try to fake this situation. Thats why Hiro may be more likely to listen -- and of course adult Karada still is the spitten image of her younger self ;p
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-26, 16:02   Link #269
waffo
25% Unknown

Send a message via AIM to waffo Send a message via Yahoo to waffo
I've watched the first two episodes so far and it looks slice of life-ish so I'll watch the third soon. The animation's nice.
waffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-26, 18:23   Link #270
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImClueless View Post
Well it said Boston on a street sign so we don't know which city? Anyway I wasn't refering to their location in the US, I was just commenting on the fact that their living conditions seemed pretty grandiose.
Also if you look on the letter Shouko recieved in the flashback from Hiro you will the address say Boston USA on it.
Old 2006-10-26, 20:08   Link #271
Pakxenon
popcorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Also if you look on the letter Shouko recieved in the flashback from Hiro you will the address say Boston USA on it.
I was JUST about to say that. :P

I'm loving this. I don't know why I skipped over Lunar's picks the first week of the season, but it's a good thing AoMM suggested this without telling what was in it.

Anyways, I'll just comment that Shouko and Hiro look REALLY cute together when they were still in university.
Pakxenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-26, 21:15   Link #272
Skane
Anime Snark

Best scene in Ep03 for me is the transitions of the seasons as Shouko walks to the horizon, waiting for Hiro's return.

Cheers.
Old 2006-10-26, 21:44   Link #273
Orrin
Sumika Kagami Fanboy

Episode 4 didn't exactly let me down, best episode so far and this is now my favorite show this season (sorry Koyani).
Spoiler for episode 4:
Orrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-26, 21:58   Link #274
Srin Tuar
無謀

Spoiler for ep4:
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-26, 21:58   Link #275
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrin View Post
Episode 4 didn't exactly let me down, best episode so far and this is now my favorite show this season (sorry Koyani).
Spoiler for episode 4:
You're not the only one.

Spoiler for thoughts on this episode:
Old 2006-10-26, 22:05   Link #276
firstian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I think it's not really any specific city, just generic US for Japanese consumption. The street signs were "Boston" and "...ngton". There may or may not be a "Boston Street" in Boston, but it would be more likely somewhere else, since you're already in Boston. New Haven? It was made to look like an older eastern city, anyway. And I have actually been in a friend's student apartment in Boston that looked very much like that, including old-fashioned kitchen and big bed/sitting room with bay window...and cockroaches, I presume, which would probably lower the rent.

The city looks like Boston. The scene where they walked in the snowy park shows the old John Hancock tower (the one with famous lights that shows the current weather) and the Prudential towers. The perspective of the building looks like they are walking in Boston Garden. Also, in the envelope, the city is Boston, but the state and the zip code is all messed up (they showed BS 98765 which isn't a valid state or zip ).

Frankly, I don't know where in Boston they can find an apartment with such a lousy kitchen and nice bedroom with those huge windows. Can you imagine the heating cost? All the old student apartments here have dinky old tiny double hung windows.
firstian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-26, 22:44   Link #277
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srin Tuar View Post
Spoiler for ep4:
Spoiler for response:

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-26, 22:55   Link #278
wingnut2292
Go Get'em Tigers!

Send a message via AIM to wingnut2292
Not having seen Ep. 4 yet, I'm not completely worried that there would be a relationship between Hiro and Karada. Simply because the falling in love is something adult to do, and since there's no other same body-age male character to fall in love with, Hiro looks to be the likely candidate. Assate no Houko is a role-reversal anime, I suspect that 2/3 of the through, Shouko and Karada will have mostly traded rolls. I do suspect that Shouko and Karada will turn back, I really cant give any proof outside of a hunch right now.

I think the key to the climax of Asatte no Houkou lies in the very beginning:

There are things you won't reach with even with your outstretched hands... There are things that fade into the distance once you let go. People are always seeking those, and before they know it, become lost.
--Asatte no Houkou Lunar Fansub; time +1:12 to time +1:28

I view any potential Karada/Hiro relationship thourgh that first line - There are things you wont reach with even with your outstretched hands... I think Karada dosne't want to be a burden on Hiro, and to do that she want's to be an adult and do adult things. The catch is, Karada's not ready for the adult world. She may look like and adult, sound mostly like an adult, but she dosne't have the education nor experience of the bounus years her body gained. Karada's still just a child in a really good adult costume.

Well 2 minutes left for the raw of Asatte no Houkou 04 according to uTorrent. <sigh> there are times I wish I understood Japanese. Actually watching the raws, I realize I do understand some. About 5% of what's said. Well , time to get snacks before the download finishes. Ja, mina!

Last edited by wingnut2292; 2006-10-26 at 23:39. Reason: Gramatical error fixed
wingnut2292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-26, 23:01   Link #279
JediNight
キズランダム

Comments about Hiro and Shouko's history:

Hiro is really in the wrong in all of this. Relationships are built on communication, and he basically cut Shouko completely out after going back to Japan. He made a unilateral decision for her without even asking her what SHE wanted to do. Maybe she would have gone back and joined him and helped raise Karada? Maybe she would have done a long-distance relationship until school was finished? Maybe she would have transferred to a school in Japan?

He just slams the door in her face so-to-speak and she's left creating stuff in her mind ... which ends up leading to her misunderstanding of Karada's relationship to Hiro, and maybe even the current situation.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-26, 23:10   Link #280
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
Comments about Hiro and Shouko's history:

Hiro is really in the wrong in all of this. Relationships are built on communication, and he basically cut Shouko completely out after going back to Japan. He made a unilateral decision for her without even asking her what SHE wanted to do. Maybe she would have gone back and joined him and helped raise Karada? Maybe she would have done a long-distance relationship until school was finished? Maybe she would have transferred to a school in Japan?

He just slams the door in her face so-to-speak and she's left creating stuff in her mind ... which ends up leading to her misunderstanding of Karada's relationship to Hiro, and maybe even the current situation.
Hear hear. I agree, and that confused at first, because it didn't seem the make sense that the story writer would make our main man be such a, well, jerk to whom readers would have no sympathy, it just doesn't make sense. And so far no satisfactory explanation has been given for the way he treated Shouko; one would think he must've had really good reason to do what he did, for example:

(The below under the assumption that Hiro is, in fact, a nice guy)
1)He was unfaithful to her (not a great reason but it would help explain things).
2)He's developed romantic feelings for Karada

And... I'm out of reasons, which goes to show the problem: It's nealry impossible to explain Hiro's behavior in cutting Shouko off. This, to me, is the biggest hole in the plot so far.

Tags
drama, fantasy, j.c. staff, romance, seinen, slice of life, supernatural