AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2013-08-17, 03:27   Link #8621
azziz

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroNerdBoy View Post
One can only hope that the new manga is good like Love Hina or Negima. I'm still hoping for some sort of publication to fill in the gaps left by Negima.
so do i,to my taste,love hina was mediocre;only negima(after vol.3)impressed me:i particularly liked the original use of latin and ancient grec for spell.
the magic system was,to my humble opinion,one of the best devised among all fantasy story,no just manga.
but i don't vexpect much of his next work:after all,no only is he L.H. author,but the lazy way he concluded negima betray his weakness.
azziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 09:19   Link #8622
Sakuratsuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by azziz View Post
so do i,to my taste,love hina was mediocre;only negima(after vol.3)impressed me:i particularly liked the original use of latin and ancient grec for spell.
the magic system was,to my humble opinion,one of the best devised among all fantasy story,no just manga.
but i don't vexpect much of his next work:after all,no only is he L.H. author,but the lazy way he concluded negima betray his weakness.
Before we can conclude that. Let us first see what his new work is like. Negima ending was the worst ever I agree and I also want a continuation very bad. But you also have to consider that Ken akamtsu at that time had different problems etc. And think about the child law he was fighting and other things. Some people are saying because of that he ended it that way. here is a link for you:

Spoiler for Child law:

So before I make that judgment about his new work. I want to see his new work first. Maybe I am too optimistic but I do rather Judge his work first after reading it and not because Negima had an epic fail ending.
Sakuratsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 11:18   Link #8623
chaosprophet

More news about his new manga from ANN:

Quote:
The "near-future battle fantasy" series(...)

In the decade since the world became aware of the existence of magic, the world has undergone massive upheaval. However, a boy named Tōta lives in seclusion in a rural town far removed from these changes. His ordinary life is highlighted by his magic-using female teacher and his supportive friends. However, when his tranquil daily life is disrupted, he embarks a unique adventure.
... You know this may actually be in the Negima universe... didn't Negi reveals magic to the world a bit later in the future of the manga as part of his plan?
Old 2013-08-17, 11:40   Link #8624
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Yes! That means we get to see the Negima cast again!
Old 2013-08-17, 11:44   Link #8625
shadow1296

if thats the case then Tota might be connected to negi in some way, either by being his kid/descendant or through his teacher being one of negi's students or both
Old 2013-08-17, 12:14   Link #8626
Sakuratsuki

Yes, I'm more excited now. If there is a connection between negi and this boy. Then we will get the answers we want for sure.

EDIT: Damn can't wait anymore, just saw this article on ANN. I hope Ken Akamtsu does something big with this manga. If there is a connection with Negima, then definitely it will have some answers for us. That is why I don't like to Judge Ken Akamatsu his new manga only because of Negima ending (without seeing the new manga first).
Sakuratsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 12:28   Link #8627
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

It's highly possible that they're connected with this. Guess we're going to see the future Negi students in it.

Also if it's really connected with Negima then I think it's good that we can see different perspective on the change of the world from different person

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 13:41   Link #8628
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
I was wondering when KA-sensei was going to start his next series... after what happened with Negima (truth be told, I have never bothered to read the ending because o9f how abysmal the ending is), but I know there were certain circumstances surrounding what happened there as well

And it will be interesting to see just how this series will tie in with Negima, as you guys are hinting.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 13:44   Link #8629
chaosprophet

Now if it's connected, another question is at which part will it happens. Ken did say that the last two chapters timeskip was just one possibility (considering the universe of the story does deal with parallel universes as we see with Chao near the end.

Considering the learning about magic would likely be because of Negi's plan, then at least up to Asuna being sent to the future would be the past of this story. Now it may be an universe where Asuna never got back thought time travel, it may be one where she got back through travel but the timeskip didn't happen as we were shown, or may follow all the way to last chapter.
Old 2013-08-17, 13:48   Link #8630
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Can someone explain to me what made Negima ending so bad?

Other than that glasses girl whose ending I found a bit sad since she was clearly the most clever girl in the whole group yet became some recluse after her adventures, the ending is mostly ok.

I also like the fact Negi kept his vow as a teacher and as far as I can tell, isn't dating one of his students.

So what gives?
Old 2013-08-17, 13:52   Link #8631
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post

Other than that glasses girl whose ending I found a bit sad since she was clearly the most clever girl in the whole group yet became some recluse after her adventures, the ending is mostly ok.

I also like the fact Negi kept his vow as a teacher and as far as I can tell, isn't dating one of his students.

So what gives?
because none of the major plot lines were resolve.
1. what happen to Asuka
2. how was Nagi rescue
3. the unification of the Mars and Earth
4. the Senators who sent the demons to attack Negi.
5. there is a teaser with the demon world but we never got to see it.
6. who is the Negi in love with.
Old 2013-08-17, 13:57   Link #8632
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

I'm sure you'll find the answer if you go back many pages, but to save you time... IIRC, these are the main complaints:

First and foremost, unlike all his other works, Negima! did not have what you would call a true ending- there were literally dozens of plotlines left open, something that KA was known to in general never let happen. Then after that, since we all knew that Chao was a descendant, she also revealed that she was a descendant from an alternative timeline. Few authors can handle time travel very well, and in the end, KA showed he is also one of those who can't handle it well... basically a way to dodge the question of who negi ends up with in the end

Old 2013-08-17, 14:05   Link #8633
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
magic-using female teacher
speculations on who the teacher is?
Old 2013-08-17, 14:13   Link #8634
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

This is the part where we have to remember which one of the students wanted to be a teacher... unfortunately, I don't remember off the top of my head

Old 2013-08-17, 14:43   Link #8635
chaosprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post

So what gives?
As others pointed, the problem with the ending isn't what happens in it, but what didn't happen in it. There was many things left to be resolved or that were skipped and just showed that they were solved. The small arc just before it was some chapters where the whole point was learning that Negi actually have one girl he likes (which would mean a girl with a higher chance of ending up with him). But then not even that the end solves.

Now if this new show really ends up in the same universe and if Akamatsu already had that planned then it may bring a new meaning to Negima end. Oe reason to end Negima may be because a lot of what it was is ending. Negi not more as a teacher, many of the girls going their own ways and barely being around Negi anymore. The whole teacher with harem part would be gone, and many characters left aside of the story. The next story could cover the remaining answers from Negima.

Wwell, this is speculations built over speculation XD
Old 2013-08-17, 16:01   Link #8636
Lisemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
speculations on who the teacher is?
My bet is on either Yue, Anya, Takane or Mei
Lisemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 16:10   Link #8637
azziz

i wish he could be negi descendant(that would make him chao ancestor).
azziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 18:00   Link #8638
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosprophet View Post
As others pointed, the problem with the ending isn't what happens in it, but what didn't happen in it. There was many things left to be resolved or that were skipped and just showed that they were solved. The small arc just before it was some chapters where the whole point was learning that Negi actually have one girl he likes (which would mean a girl with a higher chance of ending up with him). But then not even that the end solves.
Along with the "plot threads that weren't resolved issue (and Ken's response to the "who Negi loves" issue being "I'm not telling who she is, but I will say it's not one of the more logical choices"), the other big problem with Negima's ending was the fact that Ken Akamatsu realized that he couldn't do a reasonable ending in just two volumes. As such, he instead reverted back not only to the "early volume" days of the manga (with the final storyline being somewhat of a rehash of the ending to Xebec version of Negima, which is the result of the studio assuming that Negima was another harem series), but also back to his days of writing Love Hina (i.e. the infamous Sports Festival storyline).

As for my two cents on what we know so far:

On it being set in the same universe as Negima: Oh, that is pretty much a given, as I'm sure all of Ken Akamatsu's titles are set in the same universe. However, I'm not really expecting something major in terms of Negima references (probably a few hints of certain events and characters in Negima, but nothing that has "major character" potential).

The story itself: This is one that will be more "wait and see". However, there's three words of advice to Ken Akamatsu:

1. Keep in mind that people are probably expecting some light-heartedness in terms of action (not to mention to keep it more like One Piece rather than Dragon Ball Z);

2. Make sure you have "strong" characters, especially females (as I consider one of Negima's strengths being the way Ken Akamatsu wrote certain characters);

3. Don't go overboard in terms of ecchiness (as that was one of the big problems affecting the final volumes of Negima).
Old 2013-08-19, 16:07   Link #8639
AlphaDragoon
Flame of the Dragonslayer

I really hope he drops the tons of fanservice in favor of straight shounen, he really doesn't need it as the best parts of Negima were completely fan-service free throwdowns.
AlphaDragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 17:53   Link #8640
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

This fixes nothing regarding the end of Negima, since it's set too late in the timeline to see any of the important developments we were cheated out of (like all the events, including Pactios, shown in the final class roster and Chapter 353, or Natsumi's adventure, or the Narutakis' princes, or how and why Hakase married Godel, or what was the deal with Setsuna and Konoka's marriages, or the Lifemaker's final defeat). All of that would deserve its own sequel, not being merely referenced to in other characters' story. That's just plain sad.

My guess is Akamatsu got sick of the Negima cast, since he very well could have done a direct sequel covering all those holes instead of this spinoff if he had wanted to. Obviously Kodansha wouldn't steal his rights away since he's working for them anyway and using the same setting as it is.

So no, out of principles, I won't be following this unless it actively somehow fixes the Negima end. Otherwise, what's to tell me he won't sink this series down the same way he did to Negima, next time he and the same editorial that wronged him have another fallout, or he just feels like quitting?

Tags
action, fantasy