AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-16, 01:59   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 646 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Well, after a chapterless week whizzed on by, we're now back in schedule! Mr. T has provided a small summary (however, it looks like aohige was suffering from the stress of a chapterless week as well, so he wasn't around for translation this time around. Instead, credit for that goes to CCC from APforums):

-Chapter title is "Exchange". The ministory involves the Shandian girl Aisa, who's grown a bit. It looks like she has a job delivering some new rubber products known as "Sky Bungee" around the island.

-Basically, the chapter consists of the remaining Straw-Hats wrapping up their fights against Hody's officers. During Chopper's fight, he reveals that he can only stay in monster mode for 3 minutes using the rumble balls. Meanwhile, Daruma gets caught up in Usopp's traps. And Ikaros is charging up solar energy in order to finish off Franky with a super-move, but the cyborg is charging up his own finisher, as well.....

-We then cut to Brooke v. Zeo, where the wobbegong tells the skeleton that he'll die if he's within his range. However, Brooke has already entered it, and fells his foe with his own technique (which translates into English as "Grazing Song, Blizzard Cut"). At the same time, the officer Daruma has fallen to Usopp's ultimate move, "Green Star: Wolf Impact". Chopper takes down Dosun with a palm-based technique, and Franky blasts away Ikaros with his SUPER technique, "Radical Beam".

Back to the Wadatsumi fight, Jinbei uses his mighty merman karate to pop a hole in the giant, who deflates like a balloon, flying towards the airborne Sanji. The love chef is then reliving his nightmare of staying on the okama island, and finishes off the giant with a flaming kick. Finally, Zoro cuts down Hyouzou with his finishing technique, "Rengoku (Purgatory) Onigiri".....

Edit: Okay, updated the summary. And it looks like Hyouzou DIDN'T get a chance to harm Zoro after all. Oh, well. Still, Usopp, Franky and Brooke's finishers sound pretty darn badass, at least. Can't wait to check them out when the chapter gets here. The ministory sounds neat too. It's especially interesting to see that the sky people are adapting to blue-seas tools after learning in the recent SBS that the opposite is true, as well.

Really, I'm just glad we've got a chapter this week, period. And now to wait for its release.....

Last edited by marvelB; 2011-11-16 at 11:05.
Old 2011-11-16, 04:16   Link #2
kingsky123
Higurashi fan.

alright! i have been waiting for this
Old 2011-11-16, 09:45   Link #3
DreGon45
Rouge Encoder

awesome sauce
Old 2011-11-16, 11:06   Link #4
marvelB

Okay, I updated the first post with a more complete summary. Sure, it probably wasn't necessary (since the chap might be out in the next few hours), but i just thought, "What the heck?". I definitely can't wait to see those spread finishers.....
Old 2011-11-16, 14:46   Link #5
Rainbowman

Ministory: Asia and the sport of bungee jumping. I hope Conis is featured in the next ministory.

Main Story: To sum up the chapter we have:

Brook- "Grazing Song, Blizzard Cut"
Chopper- "Carving Hoof Parmei"
Usopp- "Green Star: Wolf Impact"
Franky- "Radical Beam"
Sanji- "Hell Memories"
Zoro- "Rengoku (Purgatory) Onigiri"
Jinbe- "Buraikan" a fishman karate technique

I don't see how the flying Wadatsumi made Sanji relive his nightmare on Okama Island, but I bet it's hilarious.

Last edited by Rainbowman; 2011-11-17 at 15:56.
Old 2011-11-16, 15:22   Link #6
james0246

Damn, talk about over-the-top. Especially Brook's Blizzard Cut (which has easily become one of my favourite attacks in the entire series). I've said/wrote it before, but Brook has simply owned this arc (at least the fighting portion). Also, great humour from Giant-Chopper.

It was sad to see Hyouzou taken down like a mook, but since this is an unsubtle "Just Say No!" storyline, it was to be expected.
Old 2011-11-16, 15:32   Link #7
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Epic chapter, I especially love how badass Brooke's blizzard cut is, even if it is pretty much a clone of Zoro's Shishi Sonson with a blizzard effect.

Edit- I changed my mind after rereading the chapter, Brooke's move is definitely the coolest one here.
Old 2011-11-16, 15:35   Link #8
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

So my finishing move ranking as of this chapter (coolness wise)

Glancing Song: Blizzard Cut > Gomu Gomu no Red Hawk > Carving Hoof: Parmel > Rengoku Onigiri > Impact Wolf > Hell Memories > Franky Radical Beam

Robin and Nami need shiny finishing moves

Brook is stealing this arc! I love him so much more now xD
Chopper's attack was so simple but the effect of the impact just made it look incredible. Just look at the marks of his fingers on the Dosun's body!
Old 2011-11-16, 15:51   Link #9
marvelB

Holy cow was this chapter badass! As noted before there wasn't that much content, but all of those spreads were great! And now, for my finisher rating:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Glancing Song: Blizzard Cut > Impact Wolf > Gomu Gomu no Red Hawk > Franky Radical Beam > Buraiken > Carving Hoof: Parmel > Rengoku Onigiri > Hell Memories

Sorry Randrak, but I figured it would be faster if I just altered your post rather than type it all out myself (I also added Jinbei's finisher, as you can see).

I'm still a bit disappointed with Hyouzou's loss since Oda hyped him as a more challenging opponent earlier this storyline, but I do understand that the two years of training gave the crew overwhelming strength, so I'm really not too miffed about it. I'm also a little sad that we didn't see Ikaros' spear-afro earlier. That would have been awesome (though seeing him finally turned into roasted squid was still an amusing sight!). Brooke's finisher is still my favorite by far, though. And to think that so many people felt that he would merely exist as comic relief.... tsk, tsk. Did those people not learn after the trials and tribulations Usopp went through after Water 7 (who, BTW, also proved his badassery against Daruma with a freaking Impact-powered wolf plant monster)?
Old 2011-11-16, 15:56   Link #10
Kallen4life

12-13 pages =/

very nice though
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Old 2011-11-16, 16:00   Link #11
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Glancing Song: Blizzard Cut > Franky Radical Beam > Hell Memories > Gomu Gomu no Red Hawk > Buraiken > Impact Wolf > Carving Hoof: Parmel > Rengoku Onigiri

^ that because most of them is spread

Old 2011-11-16, 16:08   Link #12
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Sorry Randrak, but I figured it would be faster if I just altered your post rather than type it all out myself (I also added Jinbei's finisher, as you can see).

I'm still a bit disappointed with Hyouzou's loss since Oda hyped him as a more challenging opponent earlier this storyline, but I do understand that the two years of training gave the crew overwhelming strength, so I'm really not too miffed about it. I'm also a little sad that we didn't see Ikaros' spear-afro earlier. That would have been awesome (though seeing him finally turned into roasted squid was still an amusing sight!). Brooke's finisher is still my favorite by far, though. And to think that so many people felt that he would merely exist as comic relief.... tsk, tsk. Did those people not learn after the trials and tribulations Usopp went through after Water 7 (who, BTW, also proved his badassery against Daruma with a freaking Impact-powered wolf plant monster)?
Didn't add Jinbe's because I was keeping it to Strawhats only but yes...it was pretty epic, right up there with Red Hawk for me.

I always loved Brook but I always feared he would fall into the pure comic relief realm but obviously Oda did not disappoint. I'll be honest, Zoro and Sanji haven't changed much, even their techniques are similar to their previous ones (or should I say upgrades)
But man, Usopp, Brook and Chopper are incredible now. With the plants, Usopp can make amazing trap combos rather than just shooting weird attacks. Chopper control over monster point just made me cheer. Brook...well finding the right words is hard so lets leave it at BAD-ASS!
Old 2011-11-16, 16:08   Link #13
Homura7

Oh, I get it now. That red colored demon-like skull head was actually Zoro's upgraded Onigiri.

I don't even know where to start. What the hell, the entire chapter was full of win.

And now, with Hody and the NFP finally defeated, Caribou is the only one left, so I guess we can now say for sure that the pirate rookie is officially the final villian of this arc. The question that remains is, where's he?
Old 2011-11-16, 16:14   Link #14
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Now those were some epic finishing moves. My favorite was probably Sanji's "Hell Memories". He looked incredibly badass with all that steam and fire coming off of him. Diablo Jambe is strating to grow in similarity to Luffy's Gear 2nd.

And Nami and Robin still disinterested as ever in Franky's giant mecha attacks.

I'm still not sure if Hodi has been finished off yet. If not I assume he will be in net week's chapter.~

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2011-11-16 at 17:49.
Old 2011-11-16, 16:26   Link #15
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
And Nami and Robin still disinterested as ever in Franky's giant mecha attacks.
I never tire of their reactions (or lackthereof) to Franky's mecha antics. Easily the best panel of the chapter

I'm also a fan of Brook's new attack. Hell, I'm a fan of Brook's whole fight (and of the guy himself), period. It was definitely the most entertaining one.

Sanji's attack was cool, but the fire theme is getting a bit exaggerated. He entirely roasted a giant, holy crap. It's not Ace level yet, but it's close. Anyone who doesn't know him would think he has eaten a devil fruit. I would have preferred him to learn some okama kenpo instead.
Old 2011-11-16, 17:05   Link #16
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Yeah, the reactions to Franky's mecha themes are easily one of the funniest running gags going. Saying that, i like how Sanji's horrible 2 year experience ending up being the reason behind the naming of his new month.

Usually, the format of having each character preform their new moves one after another doesn't work that well, though Oda works that same magic we usually see from him, making this chapter flow so damn well.
Old 2011-11-16, 17:34   Link #17
Undertaker

This chapter is great, spread after spread after spread of new attacks.

Well, we now know that Monster Point is the only form that requires Rumble Ball.

Franky's Radical Beam is great and the indifference on Nami and Robin's face is priceless as usual.

Brook's attack Blizzard Cut steals the show

Although I got to say Ussop's Impact Wolf is IMO the most visually impressive attack in this chapter and the two previous attacks he used were pretty cool as well. Though I wonder what the original name of his first Green Pop attack is in Japanese. The English scan translate as "Human Drakes", but isn't that just "Mandrakes" guess I'll check the Chinese scans on how they translate this.

Poor Sanji, continues his fall as the butt joke of the crew with his Hell Memories. Though this attack along this Sky Walk kind of braking Sanji's norm of naming his attacks with cooking related phrase and use of French words.

Hate to say this, but all this new attacks actually made Zoro's Rengoku Onigiri feels a bit melodramatic and un-inspiring as the end of this chapter. Not really Zoro's fault, the attack itself was awesome, it just that other member's attack were awesome-er...
Old 2011-11-16, 17:46   Link #18
Frenchie
Shougi Génération
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Frenchie
I think you'll find that Zoro and Sanji's attacks are uninspiring because they weren't really pushed in this arc. None of the Strawhats really were, but I think the difficulty is going to have to up a notch for them to reveal the cool stuff, especially for the right hand men, Z&S.

I'm still holding out on the hope of some knife action from Sanji. MAKE IT HAPPEN ODA. I do reckon the fire thing is a bit exaggerated. I mean, sure, he's a cook, but what the hell, he's not a Logia... :<

Chapter was alright, Usopp's stuff feels very gimmicky.
Old 2011-11-16, 18:03   Link #19
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Brook really becomes the second-best swordman in the crew.... nice... blizzard cuuuttt!!!
Beam laser from Franky is epic.... beeeaammm

just like we thought... it's easy... too easy.... xD
although I think Usopp is wasting his bullet.... can he synthesize his bullet again??
Old 2011-11-16, 18:29   Link #20
Prinnydood
Madness Through Sound

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OGM OGM OGM SOOO EPIC~!!!!!!!!!

That's all I gotta say (: