AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2016-02-01, 13:17   Link #35501
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianx View Post
what i got from the article, is that he said you have to trust her. no where did he claim red truth was actually the truth. he pretty much said everything is unverifiable. unless im misinterpreting this.
It's in the bit regarding what Ronove says. He talks about the red truth.

Basically in the first bit Ryukishi agreed that yes, everything is unverifiable but if you don't believe you can't solve the mystery (=if you completely reject the red truth then everything goes.... you've no basis for theorizing, if you don't try to solve the mystery with the info you have but keep on waiting for more info then you'll never solve it and so on).

Beatrice challenges us to solve her mystery. With her rude words she's basically telling us to give it a try as it made it solvable and subtly she's also telling us to discharge the idea of X (=unknown people, element, trap, weapon, whatever).

Ronove tackles directly the red truth. The red truth is true, we should trust Beatrice in this regard and use it to solve the mystery... but we shouldn't trust her blindly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mali View Post
I wonder why Ange was daydreaming? I could say I'm your opinion if Ange was not daydreaming.
And I clearly refered to the daydream, not Erika, as her conscience. Why?
Ange should have reasons and Erika might be a concept like Beatrice. Why that? Because she knew she would dissapoint her brother. Proof and hints?
Look at his face after she told her first thought about Beatrice's quiz. The first thought is mostly the right decision.
In my opinion I found it strange to be highly ironic in that scene.
I'm sorry, can you phraise it a little more clearly please?
I feel bad for asking but I'm really having troubles following your logic.
And I don't get how can you say that the first thought is the right decision.
In the puzzle George and Jessica gave Ange it was proved the first thought wasn't the right decision twice.

Quote:
I wouldn't defend this but ...Cpt. Kawabata knew that Ange was in danger and only he and the former deceased servants... just saying.
The trick ending leaves us a open ending. Ange murdered two people, it doesn't mean she became 'black', I'd call her an anti-hero.
In order to be a anti-hero all you've to do is to be a protagonist who has the opposite of most of the traditional attributes of a hero. They may be bewildered, ineffectual, deluded, or merely apathetic. More often an antihero is just an amoral misfit.
This doesn't stop Ange from becoming 'black Ange' or whatever we want to call her.
If we see Black Battler as the main character of Forgery XXX (or of the Ougon arcade with him and Kanon) he's an anti-hero as well as a psychopath murderer.

The problem here is: it's all right to kill a person if you suspect he/she has ill intention toward you? Without real proof? Without trying to go for an alternate solution?
After Ep 8 Ange didn't become a better person in the trick ending. Ange becomes a person who, should she suspect of you, will kill you without real proof you were betraying her.

Quote:
→first quote
Then she shouldn't have a daydream. Then she would throw everything else (reuniting with her brother and family) away. You go against the story (isn't the same style of thinking of Rosatricers and Jessicatricers? )
Again I've to ask you to explain yourself more clearly.
I've summarized what she did in Ep 4. It's not even a theory. How this becomes going against the story?

Quote:
Ange and EVA-Beatrice served her as well.
Beato made the statement "without love etc. ...." in EP6.
In EP8 even the villians changed their habits and thinking as well.
How the fact that Ange and EVA-BEATRICE serving Bern proves that Erika gained love?
Ange and EVA-BEATRICE served Bern for completely different purposes. It wasn't for their private enjoyment or in order to hurt others like Erika did. It's even possible to speculate that EVA-BEATRICE accepted to serve Bern because her aim was actually to help Ange (which she did many times during Ep 8).
But still EVA-BEATRICE is not Erika and her motivations are completely different.

Quote:
It's hard to decide if she was heart cold as you said or anything else...Maybe because it's Ryukishi's work? If I compare it to the other (fictive and real) murders I would say she is worse.
She killed two people in cold blood, without hesitation, without proof they were out for her blood, without regret. She took enjoyment in Amakusa's expression before she killed him. She had no hesitation whatsoever in taking two lives nor she regretted having taken them or worried for the ones who would miss them.
She could care less.
She's cold hearted.
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-01, 14:08   Link #35502
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
Originally Posted by marianx View Post
what i got from the article, is that he said you have to trust her. no where did he claim red truth was actually the truth. he pretty much said everything is unverifiable. unless im misinterpreting this.
You are; the Red Truth is absolutely true, but that has no value unless you trust her and her intentions, otherwise you get Battler uselessly wailing "She's lying! She's lying with the red!" Which is not only disrespectful, but also means he can never trust any information, and cannot advance in figuring anything out because if you take that train of thought long enough, he wouldn't even be able to trust the color of his own hair.

The Red Truth is an agreed upon rule. You can't play the game without respecting the rules.

And you may skype me. I'll tell it to you privately.
Old 2016-02-01, 16:00   Link #35503
Mali

Quote:
I'm sorry, can you phraise it a little more clearly please?
I feel bad for asking but I'm really having troubles following your logic.
And I don't get how can you say that the first thought is the right decision.
In the puzzle George and Jessica gave Ange it was proved the first thought wasn't the right decision twice.
Ok I'll make it clearer:
I don't argue about whether she made the right decision or not.

I was trying to give a signal "why should she daydream before making such decision?". I think how this scene starts I'd give the dream more significance. As you know there was nothing like that in EP4.

What I'm saying about "first thought=mostly the best thought" is the same as 'intuition'. I did not say she decided her future according to instinct. It was a sign why Battler and Beato looked disappointed.

Quote:
In order to be a anti-hero all you've to do is to be a protagonist who has the opposite of most of the traditional attributes of a hero. They may be bewildered, ineffectual, deluded, or merely apathetic. More often an antihero is just an amoral misfit.
This doesn't stop Ange from becoming 'black Ange' or whatever we want to call her.
If we see Black Battler as the main character of Forgery XXX (or of the Ougon arcade with him and Kanon) he's an anti-hero as well as a psychopath murderer.

The problem here is: it's all right to kill a person if you suspect he/she has ill intention toward you? Without real proof? Without trying to go for an alternate solution?
After Ep 8 Ange didn't become a better person in the trick ending. Ange becomes a person who, should she suspect of you, will kill you without real proof you were betraying her.
In terms of Umineko, yes she is an anti-hero. The border between hero/anti-hero and villian/anti-hero got so small in the story because the story let characters time to develope a new attitude. We don't give her no chance. In that way she'll remain Black-Ange. She has no reason to tell why or to regret.

I like to see Black-Battler as Asumu's Battler.

Quote:
How the fact that Ange and EVA-BEATRICE serving Bern proves that Erika gained love?
Ange and EVA-BEATRICE served Bern for completely different purposes. It wasn't for their private enjoyment or in order to hurt others like Erika did. It's even possible to speculate that EVA-BEATRICE accepted to serve Bern because her aim was actually to help Ange (which she did many times during Ep 8).
But still EVA-BEATRICE is not Erika and her motivations are completely different.
Your reply
Quote:
Not really. Even in the VN she's back on serving Bern and destroying the golden land as cruelly as possible to the point that even Dlanor judged her beyond redemption.
Huh? Please express yourself more clearly.
I know anyone who would serve Bern didn't mean he/she is villainous like Will.
Erika was just given the evil role, but she was even accepted as a friend by Battler. She made a good job solving 5 and 6 (though I would say Erika could EP5 better). Indeed Erika gained love.
Mali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-02, 16:43   Link #35504
jjblue1

Quote:
Ok I'll make it clearer:
I don't argue about whether she made the right decision or not.

I was trying to give a signal "why should she daydream before making such decision?". I think how this scene starts I'd give the dream more significance. As you know there was nothing like that in EP4.

What I'm saying about "first thought=mostly the best thought" is the same as 'intuition'. I did not say she decided her future according to instinct. It was a sign why Battler and Beato looked disappointed.
I'm confused. In the VN Battler and Beato do not look disappointed when Ange choses through which door she wants to go.
Also, the original point of discussion was 'what an Ange who chose the trick ending would have learnt' as you said she learnt something from it but not what and I said 'What Ange 'learns' in the trick ending is to continue to act like Erika....' and you seemed to... disagree? I'm not sure and I don't really get where this is going...

Quote:
In terms of Umineko, yes she is an anti-hero. The border between hero/anti-hero and villian/anti-hero got so small in the story because the story let characters time to develope a new attitude. We don't give her no chance. In that way she'll remain Black-Ange.
Thenk you agree she's black Ange? And that all she learnt is to be a bad person?

Quote:
She has no reason to tell why or to regret.
She actually had the time to express her feelings on her own actions quite clearly and there was not a sliver of regret in what she had done at the moment.

Quote:
Huh? Please express yourself more clearly.
You said Erika gained a 'bit' love after her time in the abyss. I said she didn't as she's shown back on being a jerk, happily hurting people to the point Dlanor got disgusted by her behaviour. At this point you said EVA and Ange served Bern too...
... and I got lost because, as I said, although EVA and Ange served Bern their situation couldn't be compared to Erika so them gaining love or not wouldn't work to prove that Erika gained love.

Quote:
I know anyone who would serve Bern didn't mean he/she is villainous like Will.
Erika was just given the evil role, but she was even accepted as a friend by Battler. She made a good job solving 5 and 6 (though I would say Erika could EP5 better). Indeed Erika gained love.
Erika didn't solve the episodes thanks to the fact she had love. She did it thanks to the fact she had a hint.
In Ep 8 there's not a single hint she 'gained love'. At best, she's pitiful because her lack of love is due to the traumas she received, is a way to cope with her pain.
Erika thoroughly enjoy wrecking everything and she's willingly doing it.

Let's not forget that Erika has a twisted personality regardless of the role given to her.

Even when she's pinning the culprit, she's not doing it out of the godness of her heart or for a sense of justice but because she enjoys exposing truths others want to keep hidden. In short she's not doing it because she gained love.

Battler being willing to accept her as a friend doesn't mean she's a nice person, just that he doesn't bear her any grudge. That's all about Battler being kind, not about Erika gaining love... and even Bern will comment on how Battler's kindness is his downfall.

Back to the original point... we've no proof Erika gained love in Ep 8, actually Ep 8 pointed otherwise.
Old 2016-02-03, 12:11   Link #35505
Mali

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblue1 View Post
I'm confused. In the VN Battler and Beato do not look disappointed when Ange choses through which door she wants to go.
Also, the original point of discussion was 'what an Ange who chose the trick ending would have learnt' as you said she learnt something from it but not what and I said 'What Ange 'learns' in the trick ending is to continue to act like Erika....' and you seemed to... disagree? I'm not sure and I don't really get where this is going...
I thought we discuss about the meaning of the manga ending.
The VN made the final ceremony very straight and everyone seemed to be ok no matter what the player choose.
In the manga her "first" answer was the trick one ... I can tell by Battler's and Beato's faces that their mood saddened, and even Eva had a suprised look.

Quote:
Thenk you agree she's black Ange? And that all she learnt is to be a bad person?
"Thenk"

It's the same problem with the Black Witch: Nobody understands her.
She killed 2 people and that's it. Bad person. Sayo planned to kill the whole family. Bad person. Genius!Battler used his relatives as pawns to revive a witch. Bad person. Natsuhi killed s.o.. Bad Person.
We shouldn't use "Black" anymore to avoid confusion. For example Black-Battler was a sheep in wolf disguise. Black-Ange didn't show any sign to become "Erika". Ange and Erika have totally different temperaments.
It's up to us to solve this problem, or else she will remain evil.

Quote:

She actually had the time to express her feelings on her own actions quite clearly and there was not a sliver of regret in what she had done at the moment.
Where was it shown that she was amused by Cpt. Kawabata's face?

Quote:
You said Erika gained a 'bit' love after her time in the abyss. I said she didn't as she's shown back on being a jerk, happily hurting people to the point Dlanor got disgusted by her behaviour. At this point you said EVA and Ange served Bern too...
... and I got lost because, as I said, although EVA and Ange served Bern their situation couldn't be compared to Erika so them gaining love or not wouldn't work to prove that Erika gained love.
I thought your string of argumentation was wrong.

Quote:
Erika didn't solve the episodes thanks to the fact she had love. She did it thanks to the fact she had a hint.
In Ep 8 there's not a single hint she 'gained love'. At best, she's pitiful because her lack of love is due to the traumas she received, is a way to cope with her pain.
Erika thoroughly enjoy wrecking everything and she's willingly doing it.

Let's not forget that Erika has a twisted personality regardless of the role given to her.

Even when she's pinning the culprit, she's not doing it out of the godness of her heart or for a sense of justice but because she enjoys exposing truths others want to keep hidden. In short she's not doing it because she gained love.

Battler being willing to accept her as a friend doesn't mean she's a nice person, just that he doesn't bear her any grudge. That's all about Battler being kind, not about Erika gaining love... and even Bern will comment on how Battler's kindness is his downfall.

Back to the original point... we've no proof Erika gained love in Ep 8, actually Ep 8 pointed otherwise.
Oh I would compare Beatrice.
Yeah this hint was love!As she said herself, somebody had to be the bad guy. I don't see why love is a privilege for the good guys. Beatrice even didn't show it until EP3.
Old 2016-02-03, 18:44   Link #35506
jjblue1

Quote:
I thought we discuss about the meaning of the manga ending. The VN made the final ceremony very straight and everyone seemed to be ok no matter what the player choose.
As you've said more than once that you hadn't read the manga I though you were talking about the VN.
Also the manga made clear that Ange chose the magic ending. There's not even a discussion if we're talking about the manga.

Quote:
In the manga her "first" answer was the trick one ... I can tell by Battler's and Beato's faces that their mood saddened, and even Eva had a suprised look.
Of course they look sad, they've been trying to point Ange to chose magic right from the beginning, why shouldn't they look sad? But then the scene continues. It doesn't end here, and Ange clearly choses magic because she understood what they meant with 'magic'.
Are you going to deny the rest of the scene because it's not convenient to your theory?

Quote:
It's the same problem with the Black Witch: Nobody understands her.
The black witch is evil Rosa I take? In short a mother who abuses her daughter? We understand Rosa was abused herself and came out as such... but how this justifies her? Her actions toward Maria are evil, cruel. Understanding that Rosa is damaged doesn't really make better what she does.

Quote:
She killed 2 people and that's it. Bad person. Sayo planned to kill the whole family. Bad person. Genius!Battler used his relatives as pawns to revive a witch. Bad person. Natsuhi killed s.o.. Bad Person.
Genius!Battler used a story to revive a real person. those whom you call his relatives are just characters in a story who represent his relative. And the 'witch' is not a real witch but just Sayo's soul who got amnesia. There's nothing bad in telling a story that involves real people to help an amnesiac person to get his memory back.

Killing on the other side is a crime, a crime that causes a lot of pain.
In Sayo's case it would have been a planned crime... though as she never committed it we don't know if she just told herself 'I'll do it' but then she would have come to her senses and not to it or she would have gone through it.
In short what she wanted to do was bad... but as we can't say if she would have done it or not it becomes harder to judge her.

In Natsuhi's case is a moment of insanity due to her precarious mind balance. We know Natsuhi regretted what she had done... but not enough to confess her own crime and receive punishment.
In short she did the deed, had some excuses but the worst part is that she did her best to never pay for her crime. Human? Yes. Good? No.

In Ange's case is a planned crime that she carried on and left her feeling accomplished and satisfied with herself. She's, among the people you mentioned, definitely the worst and I wouldn't wave it off saying just that 'She killed 2 people and that's it.'

Will Ange redeem herself? So far it's pure speculation as there's no proof whatsoever she'll suddently become a good person. She states she wants to keep on continuing like this. At the moment Ange is a VERY bad person.

Quote:
We shouldn't use "Black" anymore to avoid confusion.
It's a canon term as the embodiement of the Battler culprit theory is called 'Kuroki Battler' (=Black Battler) or B.Battler (=short for 'Black Battler') and also the evil side of Rosa is called Black Witch and Ange referred to EVA BEATRICE as such as well when she meant the Eva who abused her.

'Kuroki X' basically refers to the dark/evil version of a person.

Quote:
For example Black-Battler was a sheep in wolf disguise.
The only sheep in wolf disguise is the one in Ep 5... though note that in Ep 5 they do not mention black Battler, Battler just blames himself.
So it would be Battler the one who's a sheep in wolf disguise, not black Battler.

In Bern's game, in the forgeries, Black Battler is the magical representation of the culprit who killed everyone for his own satisfaction and the piece 'black Battler' embodies a merciless murder who takes pleasure in causing other people's pain.

Quote:
Black-Ange didn't show any sign to become "Erika". Ange and Erika have totally different temperaments.
At this point it'll be simpler to just quote:

Quote:
I suppose that would have been the other outcome...for me. If I would have found meaning in simply exposing the truth itself... Before long I would degenerate into a witch who exposes the truth and would ruin myself...
The one speaking is Ange reflecting on what would have been of her had she chosen trick. Erika is 'a witch who exposes the truth'. Ange is telling us she would become like Erika. Also Erika and Ange had even prior to this something in common. Like Erika did with Natsuhi, Ange wanted to force on Eva a truth in which she was the culprit, rejecting any other possibility. In Ep 4 she understood it wasn't right but then by Ep 8 she slips again into doing it.

Quote:
It's up to us to solve this problem, or else she will remain evil.
The Ange of the trick ending is evil. There's no playing around this.

Quote:
Where was it shown that she was amused by Cpt. Kawabata's face?
Amakusa's face and she states it both in the VN and in the manga.

Quote:
"That bewildered look on Amakusa's face when his scheme was exposed. That was pretty good."
Quote:
And... that befuddled look on Amakusa's face when I saw through his plan that wasn't bad at all!
Enjoying this sort of things is another trait she shares with Erika

Quote:
(Erika) "I...like exposing the truth." ... "I like exposing secrets, then watching those people turn pale as they wonder how I figured it out. ......That's when I know I've reached the truth, and it's a moment of ecstasy."
Note that Erika was having lot of fun watching Natsuhi's face as she exposed how Natsuhi killed everyone with Kinzo's help and even slept with him even if Natsuhi was innocent and Erika knew Kinzo was dead.

Quote:
I thought your string of argumentation was wrong.
I got that much but you didn't prove I was wrong, you tossed in an unrelated fact and tried to use it as a basis to tell me I was wrong.

Quote:
Oh I would compare Beatrice.
Yeah this hint was love!As she said herself, somebody had to be the bad guy. I don't see why love is a privilege for the good guys. Beatrice even didn't show it until EP3.
Love isn't a privilege for good guys. Even bad guys can love someone. But again, how this proves Erika GAINED love in Ep 8?
She takes sadistic pleasure in exposing the truth, in tearing apart the gameboard, in pushing Ange deep into desperation. Where's Erika's love you're talking about that she supposedly gained after being in the abyss?
Old 2016-02-06, 15:01   Link #35507
Mali

Quote:
As you've said more than once that you hadn't read the manga I though you were talking about the VN.
Also the manga made clear that Ange chose the magic ending. There's not even a discussion if we're talking about the manga.
For better understanding: I gave my opinion about the manga as I read it (#35485).
Wasn't it clear the whole time ?

Quote:
Of course they look sad, they've been trying to point Ange to chose magic right from the beginning, why shouldn't they look sad? But then the scene continues. It doesn't end here, and Ange clearly choses magic because she understood what they meant with 'magic'.
Are you going to deny the rest of the scene because it's not convenient to your theory?
First question should be cleared. I would note that Ange knew both meanings of the answers* in the manga.

* Because of that I said she had conscience in the boat scene. Virgilia stated about Erika she understands magic. Thad could mean she had the other choice in her mind.

Quote:
The black witch is evil Rosa I take? In short a mother who abuses her daughter? We understand Rosa was abused herself and came out as such... but how this justifies her? Her actions toward Maria are evil, cruel. Understanding that Rosa is damaged doesn't really make better what she does.
Oh that shouldn't matter whether woman I meant (Rosa, Eva or Kasumi). Yeah Rosa's violent actions aren't justified, on the other hand Maria has to grow up ( to a more or lesser extent). But many parents who receive bad parenting (and education and society) will be bad parents. Who is to blame?
In Ange's case it was Eva's protective that drove her into a problematic life.

Quote:
Genius!Battler used a story to revive a real person. those whom you call his relatives are just characters in a story who represent his relative. And the 'witch' is not a real witch but just Sayo's soul who got amnesia. There's nothing bad in telling a story that involves real people to help an amnesiac person to get his memory back.

Killing on the other side is a crime, a crime that causes a lot of pain.
In Sayo's case it would have been a planned crime... though as she never committed it we don't know if she just told herself 'I'll do it' but then she would have come to her senses and not to it or she would have gone through it.
In short what she wanted to do was bad... but as we can't say if she would have done it or not it becomes harder to judge her.

In Natsuhi's case is a moment of insanity due to her precarious mind balance. We know Natsuhi regretted what she had done... but not enough to confess her own crime and receive punishment.
In short she did the deed, had some excuses but the worst part is that she did her best to never pay for her crime. Human? Yes. Good? No.

In Ange's case is a planned crime that she carried on and left her feeling accomplished and satisfied with herself. She's, among the people you mentioned, definitely the worst and I wouldn't wave it off saying just that 'She killed 2 people and that's it.'

Will Ange redeem herself? So far it's pure speculation as there's no proof whatsoever she'll suddently become a good person. She states she wants to keep on continuing like this. At the moment Ange is a VERY bad person.
1) Even if the character in the story are pieces, they still based on real person. Justified, because Battler had the same mind in EP2. Wouldn't you be a bit angry if someone used a character in his/her story based on you without asking?
Battler justified his action in EP6 because he had to solve the game himself before an outsider else could with an other popular theory.

2) In that case...wouldn't it be better if she turned the bomb off?? If I would change my mind to save people I certainly will do it. In the manga ending Battler viewed her actions as an attempt and said it was justified because of her pain.

3) /

4) I used these examples to show another view on murders. Kawabata might be better killed off quick than having a tea time with Kasumi.

Quote:
It's a canon term as the embodiement of the Battler culprit theory is called 'Kuroki Battler' (=Black Battler) or B.Battler (=short for 'Black Battler') and also the evil side of Rosa is called Black Witch and Ange referred to EVA BEATRICE as such as well when she meant the Eva who abused her.

'Kuroki X' basically refers to the dark/evil version of a person.
Same term with different context. B. Battler and EVA-Beatrice were concepts to diguise the crimes and culprits. Black witches are the supposed not-so-good sides of characters.
If we used this on Ange we can suppose Ange had a really good reason to kill off an innocent.

Quote:
The only sheep in wolf disguise is the one in Ep 5... though note that in Ep 5 they do not mention black Battler, Battler just blames himself.
So it would be Battler the one who's a sheep in wolf disguise, not black Battler.

In Bern's game, in the forgeries, Black Battler is the magical representation of the culprit who killed everyone for his own satisfaction and the piece 'black Battler' embodies a merciless murder who takes pleasure in causing other people's pain.
I refered to Land of the Golden Witch. Anything else would be Asumu's supposed dead Battler who can indeed be a culprit.

Bern's game had more than one solution. It seems Battler likes to ignore the red "Battler is not the culprit" to reach his goals.

Quote:
The one speaking is Ange reflecting on what would have been of her had she chosen trick. Erika is 'a witch who exposes the truth'. Ange is telling us she would become like Erika. Also Erika and Ange had even prior to this something in common. Like Erika did with Natsuhi, Ange wanted to force on Eva a truth in which she was the culprit, rejecting any other possibility. In Ep 4 she understood it wasn't right but then by Ep 8 she slips again into doing it.
It doesn't matter what truth she will get. She changed her mind that the truth has no value itself (response to Erika's question), so she get nothing from it, because she "certainly" died.

Quote:
The Ange of the trick ending is evil. There's no playing around this.
Yeah she can shoot the gun without powder steam at all! Jokes aside. It doesn't matter how much you turn this. Cpt. Kawabata is suspicious

Quote:
Love isn't a privilege for good guys. Even bad guys can love someone. But again, how this proves Erika GAINED love in Ep 8?
She takes sadistic pleasure in exposing the truth, in tearing apart the gameboard, in pushing Ange deep into desperation. Where's Erika's love you're talking about that she supposedly gained after being in the abyss?
Counter: Where did she got the hint?
At the end of the EP6 she got some new insights of truth and she wasn't longer the witch of truth in the abyss.
She knew the concept of "seeing with love".
After all she isn't a witch, she wasn't one but a DETECTIVE.
Erika represents the the way of facts and Beatrice the way of interpretations.
Facts are naturally the enemies of hopes, isn't? I'd say Ryukishi represented this very good in EP6 and EP 8.
Old 2016-02-07, 16:28   Link #35508
jjblue1

Quote:
For better understanding: I gave my opinion about the manga as I read it (#35485).
Wasn't it clear the whole time ?
I'm not an English speaker but I was told you use 'yet' in interrogative and negative sentences.
When you said 'I read it yet' I assumed you meant 'I didn't read it yet' and forgot to write 'didn't'.
If the misunderstanding was due to my poor English knowledge I apologize.

Quote:
First question should be cleared. I would note that Ange knew both meanings of the answers* in the manga.

* Because of that I said she had conscience in the boat scene. Virgilia stated about Erika she understands magic. Thad could mean she had the other choice in her mind.
Nobody said she didn't.
This doesn't answer to the first question 'why shouldn't they look sad?' as, at the beginning, it looked like Ange was going to chose trick not to the second 'Are you going to deny the rest of the scene?'

Quote:
Oh that shouldn't matter whether woman I meant (Rosa, Eva or Kasumi). Yeah Rosa's violent actions aren't justified, on the other hand Maria has to grow up ( to a more or lesser extent).
So what Rosa did helped her to grow up?
Neglecting her, beating her was all to help Maria to grow up?
I fear we don't share the same educational system and values then...
Also I'll say Maria is growing up as a disturbed child with no friends. That's not exactly what I'll call a successful result.

Quote:
But many parents who receive bad parenting (and education and society) will be bad parents. Who is to blame?
So it's okay for them to be bad parents and abuse their own children?
Again I fear we come from world with different values. In my country you aren't allowed to abuse a child because you've been abused.

Quote:
In Ange's case it was Eva's protective that drove her into a problematic life.
No, it was the public gossipping, the bullying she received, Eva being unable to reassure her that her parents weren't the culprits, Eva being contraddictory, Eva being suspicious as hell, Eva cracking up and becoming abusive.

Quote:
(Ange) "Today, a kid in class bullied me...... He said the people on TV were saying Mom had ties to bad people. ......So, he said that Mom and Dad were the culprits, and that they probably killed everyone...... ......I asked Eva oba-san, hoping she'd say it wasn't true, but she didn't say anything......" [Ep 7]
Quote:
......When Eva first adopted me, our relationship wasn't that bad at all. I asked her several times. What happened that day? Every single time she answered, it was to say that she didn't remember. But...well, she must have been flustered at the time. The very first time I asked, she answered like this:
"I can't tell you about it."
It was a slip of the tongue. She knew what had happened that day. And she left this world without telling even a bit of the truth. She sealed the truth in a cat box...and left this world, taking the key with her. There can be only one answer. She was behind everything. She got all of the family wealth to herself and became super-rich. And afterward, she lamented the fact that her beloved son would never inherit any of what she had created, ...and she cursed me. [Ep 8]
Quote:
After doing that, Eva oba-san told me something. You must bear all of the glory and history of the Ushiromiya family. And in order to make you a fitting successor to bear that, the rest of your life will be dedicated to frantic studying. Sacrifice the rest of your life for the Ushiromiya family.
......That's what she said. At first, I thought she meant that literally. But I quickly realized that wasn't the case. Because even now, in Eva oba-san's eyes, the one most fitting to be successor was the late George onii-chan.
At my first meal, I had received strict instruction and questioning about table manners, and had been forced to listen to her abuse Mom and Dad as though they had been neglectful in their discipline. I had also received the same strict instructions regarding manners at my first party, and my clumsiness had been disparaged in front of everybody, forcing me to endure insults to Mom and Dad as well. After that repeated over and over, I eventually began to understand. Eva oba-san didn't really want to make me the next head.
She thought that the one who was truly fitting to be the next head was George onii-chan, ......and she couldn't forgive the fact that I was to be the next head.
So I was disparaged in front of a lot of people. I was humiliated.
And she made it known exactly how I was inferior to George onii-chan, ......surely holding a memorial service for her dead son, no, ...she must still have been mourning the fact that he was dead.
......However, that wasn't something I could endure.
I couldn't possibly live together with Eva oba-san.
......As my life was continually compared with her dead son's, I was kept like a pet.
I understood that even when I was in elementary school.
I tried to escape the Ushiromiya house and go to the house of my Grandpa on my mother's side.
However, Eva oba-san had already foreseen that.
...No, thinking back on it, she might have been luring me into escaping.
I was caught by the guards and brought back, .........and for being a coward who had smeared the Ushiromiya family crest with mud and tried to throw it away, .........in a way that makes my whole body shake and shiver just remembering it, .........I was punished.
How should I describe what Eva oba-san was like when she punished me?
In a frenzy? Gleeful?
......The anger and sadness of losing her beloved son, and well as the hatred and pain that I had stolen the inheritance from the son who should have succeeded it. And the dark pleasure at being able to let those feelings out on me. [EP 4]
That's just Eva's part. Should I also quote all the bullying she received at St. Lucia?

And Eva herself admitted she was keeping silent not just for Ange's benefit but also for her own. Eva murdered Natsuhi and Hideyoshi murdered Krauss.
She didn't have the guts to tell Ange the truth when she was alive... but let the diary around so that Ange could end up finding the truth when Eva was conveniently dead.

Quote:
1) Even if the character in the story are pieces, they still based on real person. Justified, because Battler had the same mind in EP2. Wouldn't you be a bit angry if someone used a character in his/her story based on you without asking?
Battler justified his action in EP6 because he had to solve the game himself before an outsider else could with an other popular theory.
Ep 6 was created to show that he understood everything not because an outsider could solve it.
Ep 6 doesn't show Battler solving the game nor stop people from trying to solve the game with other theories.
Also if I was Battler's family in such situation he wouldn't even need to ask for my permission, I would want to help him. And we see in Ep 8 that no one complained and they're all glad for the story he woved for Ange. Also he's not having his relatives doing anything bad as they're merely playing a prank.

Why do you find this bad while you're okay with Ange killing people?

Quote:
2) In that case...wouldn't it be better if she turned the bomb off?? If I would change my mind to save people I certainly will do it. In the manga ending Battler viewed her actions as an attempt and said it was justified because of her pain.
She was in a rush to reach them and she only managed to save Battler out of luck, because he took a detour, otherwise she would have been too late.
Would it be smart to take time to deactivate a bomb who'll explode in around 23 hours when one needs to run saving everyone as they could be killed right now?
Would it matter to deactivate the bomb if Kyrie and Rudolf had managed to kill everyone?
Would it matter to deactivate the bomb when they could reactivate it?

Quote:
4) I used these examples to show another view on murders. Kawabata might be better killed off quick than having a tea time with Kasumi.
Or Ange could have gone what she did in the magic ending and not have to kill anyone.
Or she could have gone to the police with an excuse (asking for info about the case), from there use their protection to freely hire her own bodyguards since she has money to use freely, fire Amakusa, not go to Rokkenjima and play for him the role of bait.
Or point a gun on Kawabata's head and demand him to turn the boat around.
Or tie him somewhere.
Or many, many other things that didn't involve killing him in cold blood.

Quote:
Same term with different context. B. Battler and EVA-Beatrice were concepts to diguise the crimes and culprits. Black witches are the supposed not-so-good sides of characters.
If we used this on Ange we can suppose Ange had a really good reason to kill off an innocent.
You know, I'm really having a hard time following your reasoning.
Although B. Battler and EVA-Beatrice were also occasionally used to diguise the culprits they were, in other situation, played completely straight as in they didn't disguised anything. They were the culprit.
And they weren't necessarily used only with good reasons. B.Battler is often used for other people's amusement.

Quote:
I refered to Land of the Golden Witch. Anything else would be Asumu's supposed dead Battler who can indeed be a culprit.
Asumu's son died at his own birth. He never went on Rokkenjima to murder people nor were part of the cast.

Quote:
Bern's game had more than one solution.
No. Bern's game has only one solution.

Ryukishi said:

Quote:
But for Bern’s Trial you really had to aim for one clear answer.
and also, in regard to Erika's solution:

Quote:
it is foul play to use elements in your deduction that happened before the actual incident in a logic puzzle
Quote:
It seems Battler likes to ignore the red "Battler is not the culprit" to reach his goals.
This

Quote:
".........Let me first speak with the red. Battler-kun isn't the culprit. Battler-kun didn't kill anyone. This can be said of all games."
refers to Beato's 4 games as they're discussing why Beato is leaving him alive for last and if this can mean he's the culprit. This red also can't be used in the trial, same as 'Natsuhi is not the culprit' hence Battler can ignore it in Ep 5 (even if he knows who's the real murderer).

Bern never knew of this red and was therefore in no obligation of using it in her game. Of course she knows that in Beato's games the culprit was neither Battler's family nor George's family but Sayo but the same doesn't apply for her game.

Even in Ep 8 Beato says that Battler not being the culprit applied to her games but that as this was Bern's game it was okay for her to make him the culprit.

Quote:
It doesn't matter what truth she will get. She changed her mind that the truth has no value itself (response to Erika's question), so she get nothing from it, because she "certainly" died.
I give up on following you.

Quote:
Yeah she can shoot the gun without powder steam at all! Jokes aside. It doesn't matter how much you turn this. Cpt. Kawabata is suspicious.
And everyone is totally all right with killing suspicious people.

Quote:
Counter: Where did she got the hint?
At the end of the EP6 she got some new insights of truth and she wasn't longer the witch of truth in the abyss.
She knew the concept of "seeing with love".
After all she isn't a witch, she wasn't one but a DETECTIVE.
Erika represents the the way of facts and Beatrice the way of interpretations.
Facts are naturally the enemies of hopes, isn't? I'd say Ryukishi represented this very good in EP6 and EP 8.
A fact isn't the enemy of hope per se.

"I asked for help and no one heard" can kill my hope that someone will help me.
"I asked for help and someone heard" gives me hope that the one who heard me will come to help me.

And Erika didn't need love to solve things just with that red hint in the same way as she didn't need love to solve the trick of the cup in Ep 6.
Erika doesn't look at Beato's games with 'love' but with the longing to crush them, expose the truth Beato and Battler want to hide and hurt them.
The only thing for which she has love is the idea she could hurt them.

Last edited by jjblue1; 2016-02-08 at 07:53.
Old 2016-02-09, 06:46   Link #35509
Mali

Quote:
So what Rosa did helped her to grow up?
Neglecting her, beating her was all to help Maria to grow up?
I fear we don't share the same educational system and values then...
Also I'll say Maria is growing up as a disturbed child with no friends. That's not exactly what I'll call a successful result.
I was trying to say that Rosa is aware she must going to educate Maria. I never said she was doing it right. I also agreed that the violence and abusing weren't right. I was pointing out the problem about Maria. So I don't see why are you worried about my view on child education.

Quote:
So it's okay for them to be bad parents and abuse their own children?
Again I fear we come from world with different values. In my country you aren't allowed to abuse a child because you've been abused.
Because problem children will grow up. This is often carried into adulthood because they learned from their parents. This is one example, unemployment, illness, alcohol/drugs or divorce may be a trigger.

Quote:
Should I also quote all the bullying she received at St. Lucia?
Yes please.

Quote:
Ep 6 was created to show that he understood everything not because an outsider could solve it.
Ep 6 doesn't show Battler solving the game nor stop people from trying to solve the game with other theories.
Also if I was Battler's family in such situation he wouldn't even need to ask for my permission, I would want to help him. And we see in Ep 8 that no one complained and they're all glad for the story he woved for Ange. Also he's not having his relatives doing anything bad as they're merely playing a prank.

Why do you find this bad while you're okay with Ange killing people?
Yes EP6 is just a manuscript. But what about 3-5?
This is a hard question... I would support, but I don't want to release stories about dead relatives.
Old 2016-02-09, 12:50   Link #35510
jjblue1

Quote:
I was trying to say that Rosa is aware she must going to educate Maria. I never said she was doing it right. I also agreed that the violence and abusing weren't right. I was pointing out the problem about Maria. So I don't see why are you worried about my view on child education.
The fact you started, all of sudden, pointing out the problems about Maria (problems that Rosa had likely caused) when we were talking about the problems about Rosa's behaviour gave the impression that Rosa was excused in doing what she did because 'she had to educate Maria'.

Quote:
Because problem children will grow up. This is often carried into adulthood because they learned from their parents. This is one example, unemployment, illness, alcohol/drugs or divorce may be a trigger.
Sure they did but this won't allow them to be abusive with others.
We know Rosa was abused during her childhood and that her behaviour is likely due to it. As pitiful as her situation is, this doesn't allow her to abuse Maria.

Quote:
Yes please.
Spoiler for Ep 4: Ange's bullying Under spoiler cut because there are really LOTS of scenes...:

Quote:
Yes EP6 is just a manuscript. But what about 3-5?
This is a hard question... I would support, but I don't want to release stories about dead relatives.
You said you were talking about Battler. The one writing Banquet and Co is Tohya and Umineko went to great lenght to explain that even though they share the same body we've to acknowledge them as different people.

It also explained that Tohya released Banquet as an attempt to expose what he believed was Eva's sin (he thought Eva had killed everyone) without exposing himself (he didn't acknowledge himself as Battler and didn't want to be acknowledged as such).
In short he didn't do it out of fun or malice toward his relatives but in attempt to pin the blame on the one he believed was the culprit.

Also note that Banquet, Alliance and End written by Tohya were described as different from the ones we read so we can't say exactly how they were (beyond Banquet pinning Eva as the culprit).

We know only that when Tohya met up with Eva and discovered she was innocent he was the leading force among forgery makers (apparently due to him they had grown exponentially) and that, as soon as he found out the truth, realized his actions not only didn't pin the blame on the right culprit but were hurting his sister so he did his best to silence everything.

In short Banquet was, for sure, released with the purpose to bring justice for his dead relatives... Alliance and End we can't know as we might not be reading them as Tohya wrote them.

I wouldn't say his intents were meant to be cruel toward the Ushiromiya (whom, to be honest he didn't acknowledge as relatives). Just misguided and not carefully planned as he didn't realize they could have a backlash that could affect Ange.
Old 2016-02-10, 19:12   Link #35511
chaos_alfa

I'm currently reading Umineko Episode 8

Spoiler for Epsiode 8:

No spoilers please I haven't figured out everything about the Rokkenjima Incident. I'm planning to reread everything after I'm done with episode 8.

Last edited by chaos_alfa; 2016-02-10 at 19:26.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-10, 19:33   Link #35512
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
I'm currently reading Umineko Episode 8

Spoiler for Epsiode 8:

No spoilers please I haven't figured out everything about the Rokkenjima Incident. I'm planning to reread everything after I'm done with episode 8.
If Nanjo is saying the truth the people who'll claim someone is dead and are innocent will be saying the truth while the culprit might lie about it.
Example:
Innocent person: I believe X is dead (= X is surely dead)
Culprit: I believe X is dead (= X's dead or alive status is unknown as the culprit can lie)

If Nanjo is the culprit this statement might be a lie therefore an innocent person might mistake an alive person for a dead one.
Example:
Innocent person: I believe X is dead (= X's dead or alive status is unknown as he could be making a mistake)
Culprit: I believe X is dead (= X's dead or alive status is unknown as the culprit can lie and make mistakes)
Old 2016-02-10, 19:38   Link #35513
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblue1 View Post
If Nanjo is saying the truth the people who'll claim someone is dead and are innocent will be saying the truth while the culprit might lie about it.
Example:
Innocent person: I believe X is dead (= X is surely dead)
Culprit: I believe X is dead (= X's dead or alive status is unknown as the culprit can lie)

If Nanjo is the culprit this statement might be a lie therefore an innocent person might mistake an alive person for a dead one.
Example:
Innocent person: I believe X is dead (= X's dead or alive status is unknown as he could be making a mistake)
Culprit: I believe X is dead (= X's dead or alive status is unknown as the culprit can lie and make mistakes)
Ah I see. So purple tekst CAN be used if someone believes something is the truth even-though it doesn't have to be the case. Mistakes can be made with purple text. I thought this was an impossible feature of red truth.

Does this mean red truth can be used to state falsehoods as long as the stater believes it? Or is the following rule wrong?

"Purple statements are as absolute as red truth. However, the culprit alone may lie with purple statements."

Last edited by chaos_alfa; 2016-02-10 at 20:13.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-11, 08:17   Link #35514
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

Quote:
Does this mean red truth can be used to state falsehoods as long as the stater believes it? Or is the following rule wrong?
No, you can't speak falsehood with the Red Truth. Battler choked when he tried to say that he was Asumu's son, even though he believed that to be true.

However Red Truth has its flaws. Just as any logic has the flaw of noise, so does the Red.
Old 2016-02-11, 18:12   Link #35515
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
Ah I see. So purple tekst CAN be used if someone believes something is the truth even-though it doesn't have to be the case. Mistakes can be made with purple text. I thought this was an impossible feature of red truth.

"Purple statements are as absolute as red truth. However, the culprit alone may lie with purple statements."
No, you can't state falsehood.
You can't say that 'the sun is blue' just because you believe so.
However I think it would be possible to say I BELIEVE the sun is blue because in this case the red truth would refer to what you believe (you truly believe the sun is blue even if actually it's not) and variation of the themes, not to the true colour of the sun.

Red truth must state true things.
However red can still be misleading.
For example in the previous example you might believe my belief was true (=the sun is blue) when the only true thing was that I believed in something false (=the sun isn't blue but I'm sure it is).

There are also more situations in which red can still trick you into believing in something false without stating something false but I'll let you guess them.
Old 2016-02-12, 17:55   Link #35516
marianx

if anyone has skype or aim, and solve umineko message me. i want to talk to someone about it so i can figure it out myself. my skype is zaryo@live.com
marianx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-14, 15:12   Link #35517
Rentora

Hey guys, I'm a long time lurker and although I've read and re-read the VN/Manga few times there are still few things I don't quite understand. Hopefully you can help me understand it:

1: Ange's timeline. What happened and what didn't happened, and when did it happen compared to other events? If we refer to the magic ending Ange must've met Hachijo Ikuko, but Featherine says their meeting is an illusion or something like this.
Also if they met, I am not certain that Ange could've gone to Rokkenjima so I guess that the events from where Ange jumps from the building, goes to rokkenjima and kills Sumadera are something Ange imaginated ? Since in the magic ending she apparently never went on rokkenjima to begin with.

2 : Episode 3 Shkannon murders. I get the whole Shkanontrice thing but how can Yasu still walk and kill if Shannon and Kanon are dead ? How can one still walk and kill when her two main personaes are dead ? I believe Yasu isn't included as one of her personae so I don't quite get it.

3: Erika's perception of Shannon and Kanon at the same time. Ok the narrator in this episode is Battler and he shows us Kanon and Shannon together at the same time even though Erika is told that kanon or Shannon is away for some reason WHILE the other one is there, ok. But then why do Erika and the Eiseirn Jungfrau perceive Kanon and Shannon at the same time when going back to what happened? They should have realized that the two point of view don't match. That happens after Erika looses against battler in Kinzo's room.

(Sorry for the english errors ^-^)

Last edited by Rentora; 2016-02-14 at 16:13.
Rentora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-14, 15:44   Link #35518
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
1. Everything that occurs after EP4 can be treated as a Forgery; Toya's speculations on what happened to her after she went missing after Eva's death. The Magic Ending, where she doesn't jump, changes her identity, and meets the Hachijous, seems to be her true timeline, though she seems to have memory of all of them because of her jaunt through the Meta-World, maybe.

2. Yasu's trick is that she considers Shannon and Kanon to be people, but not herself. If her two main personas are dead, then she's her "Beatrice" persona, who is a "Witch." She can thus walk around unimpeded.

3. Erika technically never witnesses Shannon and Kanon together at the same time. It's especially weasel-y, but basically the implication is that Yasu was there as Shannon, faked Kanon's voice, and claimed he was behind Gohda or something.
Old 2016-02-14, 19:16   Link #35519
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

Quote:
3: Erika's perception of Shannon and Kanon at the same time. Ok the narrator in this episode is Battler and he shows us Kanon and Shannon together at the same time even though Erika is told that kanon or Shannon is away for some reason WHILE the other one is there, ok. But then why do Erika and the Eiseirn Jungfrau perceive Kanon and Shannon at the same time when going back to what happened? They should have realized that the two point of view don't match. That happens after Erika looses against battler in Kinzo's room.
We aren't shown Erika's perspective, rather the story Lambda is telling. We don't actually know what she did or did not saw. This is the trick behind EP5, about it not having "Love", plus Battler fucking up by not playing his goddamn piece, which Lambda effectively moves into the accomplice team, tricking the reader along with it.

I think EP8 manga confirms that Erika did not witness Kanon in that super annoying EP5 scene.

Quote:
1: Ange's timeline. What happened and what didn't happened, and when did it happen compared to other events? If we refer to the magic ending Ange must've met Hachijo Ikuko, but Featherine says their meeting is an illusion or something like this.
Also if they met, I am not certain that Ange could've gone to Rokkenjima so I guess that the events from where Ange jumps from the building, goes to rokkenjima and kills Sumadera are something Ange imaginated ? Since in the magic ending she apparently never went on rokkenjima to begin with.
I kinda hate EP4 for introducing that clusterfuck of a concept of Ange's timeline. So, my interpretation is that everything until the roof scene in EP3 TP is the Rokkenjima Prime, then Bernkastel shows up and takes Ange into the Meta World, Bernkastel gives that Ange an opportunity to witness a what if scenario if she went with Amakusa, I can see her wiping out a fragment with that setting. Of course, this happens simultaneously as EP4 gameboard progresses. After her death, she is revived by Featherine in a fake world which she notices immediately. Transfered into EP7 TP where she dies again and is revived by Battler in EP8, and in the conclusive part her soul moves on from the Meta World which Ryukishi also refers to as Purgatorio. In the real world, Ange decides to kill her identity, becoming Yukari. That's how I see it.
Old 2016-02-15, 01:55   Link #35520
Rentora

1: Still, even if what we're shown were Tohya speculations, Ange must have met Ikuko at some point and learn about the truth inside Eva's diary. So we aren't shown at all when and how those events happened ? The magic endings implies that Ange has already done her "magical journey" and knows about rokkenjima prime and is the witch of resurrection. When did she learn about the truth in the book anyway and when did she meet Ikuko ?

3:
Quote:
We aren't shown Erika's perspective, rather the story Lambda is telling. We don't actually know what she did or did not saw. This is the trick behind EP5, about it not having "Love", plus Battler fucking up by not playing his goddamn piece, which Lambda effectively moves into the accomplice team, tricking the reader along with it.

I think EP8 manga confirms that Erika did not witness Kanon in that super annoying EP5 scene.
The manga makes it confusing I think, it is the second time I notice that the manga changes a little the story. I know that the narrator is Battler and is unreliable since he is an accomplice. But Erika and co aren't part of Lambda's story, they are independent pieces.
And in episode 8 Erika claims that Kanon and Shannon were never in the same room together at the same time.
Spoiler for image:

So if we refer to this part of the manga none of Erika and the Eisern Jungfrau noticed something was off. If we don't, then Erika must have been really focused on cornering Natsuhi to not realize she never saw Kanon and shannon together in the same room, while she probably heard Kanon talking behind Gohda or something.
Rentora is offline   Reply With Quote