AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kashimashi

Notices

Old 2006-01-22, 11:12   Link #241
kukai
(Kobo Daishi)

This is one of the few anime I've been able to watch in the raw with no real lack of comprehension. It's so predictable ... but cute, I guess.
kukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-22, 22:12   Link #242
BonBon
Rabu-rabu-zura?

Wahaha! I'm so glad I watched this without having read any synopses or having the least idea what the series was about.

That was just about the biggest 'WHAT THE HECK?' ever.
BonBon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-22, 22:19   Link #243
Thelastguardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight
I was going to make a similar comment about Kashimashi: I think the series works on multiple levels. Theres that base level for those that are just looking to get some yuri out of it, then theres the light-hearted comedy for some good laughs, and then you can also get some really good underlying commentary on loving someone on the inside and even questioning the male vs female role in society I think.
Wow, I am speechless. It would be highly hilarious if you are right that the mangaka (and the original author) intended to make the theme that deep.

For episode 2- there are tons of changes, and they are for the better, thankfully.
Old 2006-01-22, 22:35   Link #244
JediNight
キズランダム

I know I probably over-analyze a lot of the time, but for going "deep" like that I think it could be explained like this: There is the story that the author *wants* to tell, and the one thats financially feasible to tell.

Example: Starship Operators is about technical realistic space combat, politics, mass media, etc. In order to be able to tell that story they load up the ship crew with a bunch of cute young female staff, etc.

So it could be that they wanted to throw in some of that deeper stuff, but obviously you need the comedy, moe, etc. to sell the series or it can't be made at all...
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-22, 23:58   Link #245
adamatari

Quote:
I know I probably over-analyze a lot of the time, but for going "deep" like that I think it could be explained like this: There is the story that the author *wants* to tell, and the one thats financially feasible to tell.

Example: Starship Operators is about technical realistic space combat, politics, mass media, etc. In order to be able to tell that story they load up the ship crew with a bunch of cute young female staff, etc.

So it could be that they wanted to throw in some of that deeper stuff, but obviously you need the comedy, moe, etc. to sell the series or it can't be made at all...
True, but that's also what makes it GOOD! A story about gender identity and roles would quickly become a boring gender studies class without cuteness, yuri, and comedy.

I think this story has the potential to take on these serious themes but as of now I don't think I can say it has. Of course, I've only seen the first episode... I wonder how many people watching this are the "I want to be the little girl" types. Certainly I've though before that I wish I was a girl.
adamatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-23, 00:01   Link #246
JediNight
キズランダム

Not saying thats wrong either =D Just was explaining the business of selling your idea hehe
Old 2006-01-23, 19:05   Link #247
Seiryuu

I've always said I like to watch shows for three episodes for those exact reasons. Many anime out there try to explore intriguing questions about ethics, love, and the very nature of man. Some of these put this stuff pretty far forward, and the first couple eps are very dull. Most companies can't do that, since they need the ratings to produce the whole thing, so instead they add in some bizarre characters and situations, along with lots of bishoujo or bishounen, so we're hooked before we realize that there's a deep lesson hidden within. If only school worked that way...
(NOTE: events from manga) I wonder when they'll explain Yasuna's condition. I've never heard of any disorder, psychiatric or otherwise, that would make someone incapable of making out the image of a person of the opposite sex. It does make sense, though, that she would be afraid to get into a relationship with the first boy she could see since he might "disappear", and that she would have a certain joy in seeing him take a form she'll always see.
This does raise interesting questions about the depth of love and how difficult it is to stay OR leave a loved one after a life-changing event.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-23, 19:36   Link #248
CaiSter21

does anyone if any of the older fansub groups are gonna pick up on this?

like maybe shinsen-subs or froth-bite?

because im very cautious of new fansub groups
CaiSter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-23, 19:55   Link #249
JediNight
キズランダム

I've arranged a group project for Kashimashi that is made up of veteran staff from various groups. I've just got a small holdup on ep1 yet, but the plan is to be caught up by the time ep4 airs. *crosses fingers*
Old 2006-01-23, 22:40   Link #250
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
I've arranged a group project for Kashimashi that is made up of veteran staff from various groups. I've just got a small holdup on ep1 yet, but the plan is to be caught up by the time ep4 airs. *crosses fingers*
What is your group's name going to be? I'd like to know so that when your episode 1 comes out, I can say "Ooooo!"

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-23, 23:32   Link #251
Diedrupo

I can't stand this work, I don't consider it a true yuri manga. As effeminate as the main character was when he was a boy, he is still really a boy even after having his sex changed. This is just a common japanese fanboy fantasy since they can't stand the idea of an actual lesbian romance.
Diedrupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-23, 23:54   Link #252
shake
Inactive Member

i looking forward to the 2nd esp
shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-24, 00:14   Link #253
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

Caister: No need to be so "cautious" of new groups. *wink wink nudge nudge.

Anyways, Episode 2 was a hoot, it's coming very soon (stupid karaoke...)

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-24, 00:20   Link #254
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diedrupo
I can't stand this work, I don't consider it a true yuri manga. As effeminate as the main character was when he was a boy, he is still really a boy even after having his sex changed. This is just a common japanese fanboy fantasy since they can't stand the idea of an actual lesbian romance.
You know, no-one is forcing you to watch it...
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-24, 00:24   Link #255
st40611
..Oh dear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaiSter21
does anyone if any of the older fansub groups are gonna pick up on this?

like maybe shinsen-subs or froth-bite?

because im very cautious of new fansub groups
KnKF, the previous subber of Shuffle!, is picking this series up.

I watched the first episode when I read the summary. At first I thought this is going to be some kind of lesbian or sort kind of weird romance, but knowing it's KnKF, I know it should be funny in some way, and so I download it off. I was really impressed by how they change my idea. The main character's personality completely fits the change of sex, not to mention how the anime was done was really great. Comedy is pretty light, and pretty suitable for young mens like me.

I am still in the shock when I saw the reality when Hazumu changed to girl and have female parts. Make me crack with Tomari's expression when she found him.

Still can't believe Sakura = Tomari and Kotori = Yasuna in Da Capo term. I can't even tell. XD.
st40611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-24, 02:24   Link #256
hikaru2895
GPL Freedom Fighter

Early script up for Episode 2

http://tracker.datorrents.com:6969/t...ls.asp?id=6219

someone posted a quick script, he did it to help him learn japanese, it's maybe 90% complete and the timing is good.

I enjoyed it, and still looking forward to a complete fansub later...

Be sure to rename the script file "Kashimashi.ass" to the file name of the raw you are using plus the file extension ".ass"

see the website for details, and his email is inside the script.

Also, you can edit the *.ass file in Wordpad or Notepad so you can make up your own subtitles to make the characters say what you want. (tee hee hee!)

(*.ass stands for Advanced Subtitle Station Alpha, its a mod of the *.ssa format)

you can also search tokyotosho at
http://www.tokyotosho.com/search.php
look for "Kashimashi.zip"

Last edited by hikaru2895; 2006-01-24 at 02:41.
hikaru2895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-24, 03:54   Link #257
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze
You know, no-one is forcing you to watch it...
While your reasoning is true, I think his viewpoint does contribute positively to the discussion. Namely, do you consider this yuri? Personally, I don't find it as reprehensible as Diedrupo puts it, since sometimes you do see tomboy personalities crop up in one of the two involved in a yuri relationship. Whether a girlish boy who gets turned into a physical girl is too different from a boyish girl is still open to debate, though.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-24, 04:26   Link #258
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
While your reasoning is true, I think his viewpoint does contribute positively to the discussion. Namely, do you consider this yuri? Personally, I don't find it as reprehensible as Diedrupo puts it, since sometimes you do see tomboy personalities crop up in one of the two involved in a yuri relationship. Whether a girlish boy who gets turned into a physical girl is too different from a boyish girl is still open to debate, though.
*sigh*. You see, not only was he just merely bashing the show, he is putting some insult in his post as well.
Quote:
I dont think mods nor people in that category would like reading that comment.

I personally dont like Ebichu, but I dont make the effort to go to the Ebichu thread, and state how its a show with lousy animation and excessive sexual content, do I?

Nor do I add any statement to insult the fans of the show.
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-24, 04:42   Link #259
Imion
Bakabakabaka! >_<

Quote:
I personally dont like Ebichu, but I dont make the effort to go to the Ebichu thread, and state how its a show with lousy animation and excessive sexual content, do I?

Oh, there is nothing wrong with some criticism, threads regarding certain animes aren't only around for praising them, even if they are crap. However, such comments should have at least a bit of reason, so...

About this series... well, judging from episode 1 it looks great.
Animation is nice, BGM was ok, voicing as well and the story... well, nothing too deep probably, but this one is surely fun anyway. ( I never imagined a a space ship leaving "Homer-style". You know, "Err... I... have... to... get something...just a sec..."
*sound of footsteps on the stairs*
*car door banging*
*sound of squeeking wheels...* Got me a good laugh. ^^)

The theme of Kagimashi is nothing new, but that doesn't mean you can't make anything good out of such a gender switch plot and if we have some so called "lesbian romance" ... well, I won't mind.
Imion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-24, 04:45   Link #260
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Quote:
I dont think mods nor people in that category would like reading that comment.

It's a fair cop.

Again and again in anime you'll see that either the lesbian romance is either sidelined, thwarted or isn't really a lesbian romance. I only know of a single example in my entire experience where two girls ended up together. It is a spoiler, since you don't know how that anime will end up, but if you really want to know:

Spoiler for a show where surprisingly the two female characters ended up together:

Kashimashi is one more example of not being an actual lesbian relationship, since one of the girls is actually a boy inside. This way they can have their cake and eat it too.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, drama, genderbender, romance, seinen, yuri