Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-01-08, 22:40   Link #181
Xenio
Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie_Nix View Post
That would explain the some what loopy time line. (Present: Hibiki dead. Two years ago: The concert. Present: Hibiki is alive) If everyone thinks she is dead because she has turned into Kanade, that would explain a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenio View Post
they go back 2 years from the point where she's dead but after that, forward to the ";present day", not 2 years later. which mean that the beginning of the ep was the future, not the "present day"
Xenio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 00:58   Link #182
gecd
Cah Gunungkidul

Reading all the comments here make me ROTFL
If you want something realistic, please watch a documentary!

0% alcohol, 80% ginger syrup, 10% love, 10% GALAU!!
gecd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 01:32   Link #183
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ Way to mention that, Captain Obvious.

I do understand the gripes of other people when they saw those Symphogear wielders not moving an inch (even though they are managed by someone — an evil Producer-san, perhaps?). If there is an organization pulling the strings on the Symphogear wielders, they will have gone rogue by the end of the episode, or will die catastrophically.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 01:52   Link #184
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecd View Post
Reading all the comments here make me ROTFL
If you want something realistic, please watch a documentary!
Hmm, I haven't seen many comments complaining about lack of realism, though I could be wrong.

In fact the only real instance I see is the totally accurate complaint of the concert over the base let alone no plan of evacuation for the fans since this is a known enemy they knew how to fight, and the "random main character" having so much more value than the hundreds of other fans/civilians that were dying around them.

Anyway in my opinion I agree who cares about realism not every show needs to be too realistic, I usually like shows like this and would have enjoyed the kinetic action and darker scifi two of my favorites, all I wanted was for the only character I came for in the show to still be around instead of the awful lead we got in the bait and switch.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2012-01-09 at 03:36.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 06:32   Link #185
elior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Hmm, I haven't seen many comments complaining about lack of realism, though I could be wrong.

In fact the only real instance I see is the totally accurate complaint of the concert over the base let alone no plan of evacuation for the fans since this is a known enemy they knew how to fight, and the "random main character" having so much more value than the hundreds of other fans/civilians that were dying around them.

Anyway in my opinion I agree who cares about realism not every show needs to be too realistic, I usually like shows like this and would have enjoyed the kinetic action and darker scifi two of my favorites, all I wanted was for the only character I came for in the show to still be around instead of the awful lead we got in the bait and switch.
i think kanade power got into hibiki once she protect her in one of the fight scences and that how hibiki transformed so i think kanade not death exactly i think she somehow inside hibiki body
elior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 08:31   Link #186
-Antares-
Nope.
*Fansubber

Where exactly are people getting that "Aufwachenschlagen" was ever said in the episode? I hear Aufwache... and then wake. It's possible I'm missing the n for Aufwachen, but I don't hear anything close to schlagen after that. Just another wake.

You people don't actually talk to each other, do you? No way you could be this dysfunctional as a team and contradict each other if you did. Power trips not appreciated regardless.
-Antares- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 13:17   Link #187
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by elior View Post
i think kanade power got into hibiki once she protect her in one of the fight scences and that how hibiki transformed so i think kanade not death exactly i think she somehow inside hibiki body
Oh yeah I definitely agree I think it's highly possible that Hibiki's inherited Kanade's powers and armor, during the transformation at the end she even was getting the same orange/brown and black uniform and white armor I think if you look closely.

Don't think that's enough for me though as I'd rather just have Kanade's character back by far. How they describe that will probably decide if I watch or not which is ashame since I usually like this type of physical action scifi show (like say Birdy the Mighty), all they had to do was not kill the one character I came to see and was looking forward to of all characters *sigh*.
Old 2012-01-09, 15:02   Link #188
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Oh yeah I definitely agree I think it's highly possible that Hibiki's inherited Kanade's powers and armor, during the transformation at the end she even was getting the same orange/brown and black uniform and white armor I think if you look closely.

Don't think that's enough for me though as I'd rather just have Kanade's character back by far. How they describe that will probably decide if I watch or not which is ashame since I usually like this type of physical action scifi show (like say Birdy the Mighty), all they had to do was not kill the one character I came to see and was looking forward to of all characters *sigh*.
Aye, I also thought her armour looked similar. In fact, I'm pretty sure the shoulder pads were of the same structure and colour. I'll re-watch her transformation scene later.

In my eyes, she's no replacement for Kanade. Mainly because she isn't a red head, and her eye design irks me; but I guess her eye design could grow on me. Ah, I guess I'll just keep watching since I did somewhat enjoy the first episode.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 15:52   Link #189
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui
Sing a song and kick ass at the same time.

Spoiler for episode 1:
Old 2012-01-09, 16:31   Link #190
viperdk1
The Colour of Magic

I don't know what to make of this just yet. The music, by all means is top notch, but I'm not entirely sure about everything else.

Don't think it helped that there seemingly was a plot hole the size of the bloody Mersey tunnel halfway through (i.e. the army only just realising that guns won't work on the Noise - how long have you lot been fighting these b******s, eh?!). Personally, it feels like Symphogear is not even sure what it wants to be - does it want to be sombre and depressing (opening scene, the few minutes prior to and including the death of Kanade etc.), full of excitement, music and action packed wacky battles involving song (Tsubasa battling the noise on her own, the battle following the concert scene), or an almost slice of life story with yuri subtexts (the scenes with Hibiki and Miku at school)?

To me, it seems rather bizarre to pushing so much stuff into a single episode - and almost turns it into a bit of a mess.

Either way, I think I might give this a miss for the time being - the music is a massive plus point in it's favour (Sychrogazer gives me Megaman X vibes, strangely - but it's a cracking song. Along with all the songs involved in the first episode), but if that's all it has going for it, that's never a good sign (should have realised that with Persona: Trinity Soul - but no, I only realised that after marathoning over half the series. Partly makes me wonder why I've stuck with Guilty Crown, thinking about it ).

I just... don't know. Maybe I'll rewatch the first episode again (it has been a few days and I've watched a couple of other series since then) and see if I'm misguided in my judgement.
viperdk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 16:33   Link #191
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Aye, I also thought her armour looked similar. In fact, I'm pretty sure the shoulder pads were of the same structure and colour. I'll re-watch her transformation scene later.

In my eyes, she's no replacement for Kanade. Mainly because she isn't a red head, and her eye design irks me; but I guess her eye design could grow on me. Ah, I guess I'll just keep watching since I did somewhat enjoy the first episode.
Yup, not even close, loved Kanade's design, the red hair, the armor, badass weapon and cool "stances", and then in the show hints of charisma and tough personality evident in the first part of the fight, cool fighting style, lavishly animated fancy moves, pretty much everything for this type of action show and her potentially likeable partner in Tsubasa (who I hoped to like at least for the cool KOS-MOS inspired armor and sword moves even if I ended up liking her character less between the two, who's now probably going to be emo at least for a bit)...and it was replaced with "that" (agree on the eyes). And not just replacing it with "that" but doing it in the dirtiest way possible by trolling us with initially portraying Kanade as one of the two leads rubbing it in even further.

Spoiler:

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2012-01-09 at 17:18.
Old 2012-01-09, 17:20   Link #192
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui
Spoiler for more episode 1 rant... sort of ^^:
Old 2012-01-09, 17:26   Link #193
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Cloud View Post
Spoiler for more episode 1 rant... sort of ^^:
Spoiler:

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2012-01-09 at 21:15.
Old 2012-01-09, 17:42   Link #194
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Spoiler:
I agree with all this. It is real deal-breaker for me so I wont be following this show for the time being.

If something miraculous happen and somehow they manage to fix what they broke (I don't how they would do that, but I don't care) I might come back. But for now, it's a drop.
Old 2012-01-09, 17:50   Link #195
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I don't know, personally I think the whole storyline of Hibiki having to be the successor to Kanade could prove interesting. Sure she's kind of meek and not very much like a heroine at all right now, but then again so was the likes of Simon from Gurren Lagann and look how he ended up turning out. Also the fact that she seems to hulk out when she transforms kind of helps with the whole petite frame factor....somehow I don't see her just getting tossed around like she did at the beginning of the show.

Also the way I see it Kanade and Hibiki both had about the same amount of screen time in this opening episode anyway, it's just that Kanade happened to be the established heroine with experience and Hibiki is now the up and comer. Everyone's gotta start somewhere if they wanna to be the hero.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 18:16   Link #196
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Everyone's gotta start somewhere if they wanna to be the hero.
But that's how most stories about heroes begin, it's the typical thing. I liked this at first because I thought they were out to subvert that kind of plot structure, beginning with a heroine that was already established on the job.

But I was wrong. That's my fault, I gotta learn to keep my expectations in check (although those misleading posters don't help!!). Yet, it doesn't change that fact that I have no interest at all in the show now. I can't change that, so I can only drop it.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2012-01-09 at 18:30.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 18:23   Link #197
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

I really don't like to say this but it feel much like Macross Frontier(minus the mechs) + Generator Rex(with metal wings and armor coming out from body) thing.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 18:27   Link #198
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I don't know, personally I think the whole storyline of Hibiki having to be the successor to Kanade could prove interesting. Sure she's kind of meek and not very much like a heroine at all right now, but then again so was the likes of Simon from Gurren Lagann and look how he ended up turning out. Also the fact that she seems to hulk out when she transforms kind of helps with the whole petite frame factor....somehow I don't see her just getting tossed around like she did at the beginning of the show.

Also the way I see it Kanade and Hibiki both had about the same amount of screen time in this opening episode anyway, it's just that Kanade happened to be the established heroine with experience and Hibiki is now the up and comer. Everyone's gotta start somewhere if they wanna to be the hero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
But that's how most stories about heroes begin, it's the typical thing. I liked this at first because I thought they were out to subvert that kind of plot structure, beginning with a heroine that was already established on the job.

But I was wrong. That's my fault, I gotta learn to keep my expectations in check (although those misleading posters don't help!!). Yet, it doesn't change that fact that I have no interest at all in the show now. I can't change that, so I can only drop it.
Yup, it's not that they didn't have the same amount of screentime and it's not that Kanade didn't do her job as the "sacrifice" that serves as the "turning point" for the heroine, and I usually like "coming of age heroes", it's that we were advertised with two characters and one of them came out of nowhere to be the unexpectedly rare type with a fantastic design unusually complementing her type and not just the hothead (or something) and she was immediately replaced by the one character that's the most overly common and overdone, it had nothing to do with her being experienced, she had the design and character type I was looking forward to and was the whole reason I even wanted to watch the show in the first place thanks to the art and in that start she had the potential make me stick with it just to see her development. I don't necessarily want to see Hibiki "growing up" and I don't really care if she's not going to be meek they already did some of that at the end of the first ep where she was even using Kanade for inspiration as I expected and I still had no interest at the cost of Kanade especially having believed that Kanade was going to be one of the leads.

Plus they brought it on themselves that some should be disappointed by being cute with the awful Ga-Rei Zero trolling (which also was kind of awful by being two completely different shows likely appealing to two totally different audiences) and giving me a potentially lying promo poster and over-delivering on one type of heroine (the rare type even of various levels of experience: Birdy/Haruko/etc.) who somehow shockingly was the one that I picked from the art to pin my hopes on in giving the show a chance then giving me Hibiki via killing the character I came for and whom was pretty much like I'd hoped but never really thought possible for some of the worst whiplash ever.

Like Kazu-kun I guess on some level it's my own fault for setting myself up accidentally so "perfectly" for this disappointment looking at the promo poster and picking her and hoping she'd somehow be like she actually turned out which I didn't think had a chance in hell (I figured at best we'd get the hotheaded non-thinking one and the cold one) in an idol action show and the fact that all of a sudden I was realizing omg they were creating her that way and she's even a co-lead in this scifi action show (sweet) and the reality that she was turning out to be more than I expected from an idol action show... and... then they proceeded to kill her of all 5 characters two seconds later for Hibiki, but ofcourse that's what the promo art's there for to show you what it should look like visually and start wondering.

Speaking of Gurren, Simon turned out quite good due to it but the show didn't for it, I didn't like how that turned out all that much...I liked both parts of Gurren but personally the rest of Gurren was nowhere near as good as the first part's energy (it probably also didn't help that Yoko was completely sidelined and then brought back halfassed) and even though tougher Simon who developed well via Kamina to be quite likeable (though I liked him already as a kid) was merely decent and was still a waste since half his screentime was will-he-or-won't-he or the predictable fighting for Nia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I agree with all this. It is real deal-breaker for me so I wont be following this show for the time being.

If something miraculous happen and somehow they manage to fix what they broke (I don't how they would do that, but I don't care) I might come back. But for now, it's a drop.
Yeah.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2012-01-09 at 21:17.
Old 2012-01-09, 19:12   Link #199
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Speaking of Hibiki and coming of age, I'm curious, how the hell old is she even supposed to be anyway? Her character design normally makes her look no older than maybe twelve at most, but then when they show the scar she's shown to have a decent sized chest. I'm kind of reminded of Ruri Aiba from Sacred Seven a bit here.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 20:11   Link #200
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Now wtf did I just watch?
Story was seriously weird and seemed incoherent, too.

First some girl we know nothing about is dead, and there are lots of destroyed buildings. Two years back, the same girl is barely saved by one of the two main heroines doing a suicide attack, saving her and the city. Going back, she's still alive, and no destroyed buildings.

So what we saw at the beginning (dead Hibiki and destroyed buildings) is what would've happened if Kanade wouldn't have saved the girl and the city with her suicide attack. The show could be showing several possible realities to screw with our minds
It could be showing one (dead Hibiki and destroyed buildings) where Kanade is still alive because she didn't use her suicide attack, and another where she did, Hibiki survived, no destroyed buildings, and then Hibiki takes her place.
Then they could be switching back and forth between these two realities. Or, they could add some more diverging realities to the mix, for even more mindrape...

Tags
action, musical, original anime, science fiction, shounen, tragedy