AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2007-12-20, 20:05   Link #1
Maxtro

Playing video on the PS3

With the newest firmware update on the PS3 it's now possible to watch most of the fansubed anime on it. It can pretty much play everything. The only shows that I have been unable to watch are Dattebayo releases. Those episodes only play for about 5 seconds then they stop. Anybody else having this problem or have an idea how to fix it.

BTW I have purposefully left out what episodes I am trying to watch.
Old 2007-12-20, 21:32   Link #2
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
I tried an ep from dattebayo and it played for 6 seconds.
Old 2007-12-21, 02:10   Link #3
Nicholi
King of Hosers

/me wonders if timecop is to blame :3

I've played both of DB's "core series" on a DivX compatible device with no issues. Could also be Sony's issue in properly supporting it .
Old 2007-12-21, 02:16   Link #4
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Same results here.

Maybe it's some XviD <=> DviX incompatibility? PS3 now has official DivX is support, but most fansubbers use XviD. And afaik while the two formats are virtually identical, they're not 100% the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxtro View Post
BTW I have purposefully left out what episodes I am trying to watch.
Of course that doesn't change that everything they sub is now licensed.
Old 2007-12-21, 08:01   Link #5
emptyeighty

PS3 doesn't handle QPel and GMC properly.
Old 2007-12-22, 00:20   Link #6
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
Same results here.

Maybe it's some XviD <=> DviX incompatibility? PS3 now has official DivX is support, but most fansubbers use XviD. And afaik while the two formats are virtually identical, they're not 100% the same.
Xvid is essentially equivalent to DivX without the use of GMC/QPEL/other whacky things. DB's encodes don't use that anyways, and few other fansub encodes do. Could be something more container related. AVI does have a 1.0 and 2.0 after all .

/me still bets timecop is to blame :P
Old 2007-12-22, 23:05   Link #7
Zoe

I'm having trouble with some Shinsen Subs and Rumbel Subs

I know some people have had luck doing quick fixes with VirtualDub and the like. Anybody know exactly what needs to be changed?
Old 2007-12-23, 03:36   Link #8
iamtetsuo
Thinking Different Member
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to iamtetsuo
The PS3 officially only supports DivX encodes not XviD encodes. So it's very hit and miss whether any given xvid encode will actually work. For instance Doremi xvid encodes seem to work, but the Live Evil Nana Live Action encode doesn't.

My current main issue is that when viewing in full screen the PS3 cuts off a good bottom portion of the video, usually cutting off subtitles. Is anyone else having this issue?
Old 2007-12-23, 08:16   Link #9
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtetsuo View Post
The PS3 officially only supports DivX encodes not XviD encodes. So it's very hit and miss whether any given xvid encode will actually work. For instance Doremi xvid encodes seem to work, but the Live Evil Nana Live Action encode doesn't.

My current main issue is that when viewing in full screen the PS3 cuts off a good bottom portion of the video, usually cutting off subtitles. Is anyone else having this issue?
It's called overscan. Welcome to the wide world of why fansubs aren't meant for TV playback .

Also just so you know DivX and Xvid are both implementations of the same standard: MPEG4 ASP. It is not like there is something fundamentally different about Xvid. But like emptyeighty said, no QPEL or GMC encodes will play on the PS3. Just so you know these are also options in the DivX codec, so a DivX file with these would not work either. First would obviously be to check if those are used in the encode, if they are you can't play those files at all without re-encoding them. I think I recall hearing that DivX certified devices also required Packed Bitstream (if there were any b-frames of course), so you should check that as well (you can use Mpeg4Modifier to repack if necessary). It would be extremely unwise for an encoder to turn that off and encode to AVI...but lets face it, we live in a day where most encoders have no idea what they are doing. If all the above is ok, I'd give the file a quick remux with AMG to see if that fixes it (don't use OpenDML and turn off the Add Junk to Header option which will break anything not perfectly AVI compliant...alexnoe is so evul).

There are a lot of encoders out there and many of them do very different, very weird things . Could be something else entirely unrelated to the video like the audio is at some whack samplerate...who knows. Remuxing should at least take care of any container problems. Many fansubs are not made to be compatible with hardware devices or rather someone uses an option that they don't know will break hardware playback. Re-encoding is too easy anyways.

But there should be no problem with the majority of Xvid fansubs because typically none of them use GMC or QPEL, which are the major deterrents in hardware playback. I've played many on my own DivX certified device like I said.

Last edited by Nicholi; 2007-12-23 at 08:39.
Old 2007-12-23, 14:24   Link #10
iamtetsuo
Thinking Different Member
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to iamtetsuo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholi View Post
It's called overscan. Welcome to the wide world of why fansubs aren't meant for TV playback .
I thought HDTV's didn't suffer from overscan? (I'm using a 32" Westinghouse 1080i LCD-TV). I can hook my computer up to it via VGA and everything displays just fine. However it would be nice to get the PS3 displaying video correctly so that I could watch high def encodes which my computer can't handle.

Well just checked the Playstation forums and overscan is a known issue with some HDTV's. Only way to fix it is to have a certified technician come and fix your tv. Guess I'll just stick to playing anime from my computer.

Last edited by iamtetsuo; 2007-12-23 at 14:46.
Old 2007-12-23, 15:41   Link #11
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

I also noticed the overscan, yet I have my PS3 connected to my HDTV through HDMI. I don't quite understand why even in that case overscan is still applied.

Anyway, I too have a PC connected to my HDTV using VGA and that just works perfect (as I mentioned here). When I compare the output I get with this setup to what the how the PS3 displays certain files, the PS3 output doesn't really look as good.
Old 2007-12-23, 20:09   Link #12
KaNa-Kun
写真いいですか。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxtro
Those episodes only play for about 5 seconds then they stop. Anybody else having this problem or have an idea how to fix it.
It stops because the Audio stream lasts longer than the Video stream. For example "Hayate no Gotoku! - 35" by SS-Eclipse:
-Video stream:24:39.71
-Sound stream:24:39.72

The ms aren't synchronized, so you need to synchronize them so that they match the same length.

In order to do that you can use/get VirtualDub(Mod) (google). Open the video file which stops at 5 (or 6) seconds, go to "Video" and then to "Frame Rate...". Afterwards change the option from "No change (xx.xxx fps)" to "Change so video and audio durations match (xx.xxx fps)". And one thing, again by "Video" change the option from "Full processing mode" to "Direct stream copy", otherwise the file would end with about 700mb or more (if you don't select a Codec).

Last thing is to save the file, the process shouldn't last longer than two minutes. Now it should be watchable from your PS3 or any other DVD-Player with XviD compatibility.

You can use the "File Information..." option to see if the video is synchron or not. If the Video stream is longer than the Audio stream, you don't need to synchronize it works anyway, I already tested it.
Old 2007-12-23, 20:10   Link #13
Zoe

I've started converting some of my files with VirtualDub, but I'm at a loss as to what I'm supposed to do to change VBR to CBR with reasonable results. Can anybody tell me what settings to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtetsuo View Post
I thought HDTV's didn't suffer from overscan? (I'm using a 32" Westinghouse 1080i LCD-TV). I can hook my computer up to it via VGA and everything displays just fine. However it would be nice to get the PS3 displaying video correctly so that I could watch high def encodes which my computer can't handle.
I have a 4:3 CRT HDTV, and the overscan is horrendous. I had to adjust the settings quite a bit to get the PS3 to display properly (still have some adjusting to do cause changing the size skewed the image a bit).
Old 2007-12-23, 20:21   Link #14
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Overscan is not a "problem" in HDTVs that is fixable...it's as much a "feature" as interlaced video was meant to be ;-;. And the reason you won't see overscan using VGA/DVI is because it is a different input (obviously), and the video is handled differently. The display is only shown on the pixels fixed inside the border, as it is expected everything coming in through VGA/DVI is meant to NOT have overscan. Unlike normal TV and even HDTV broadcasting (using every other input on your TV) which is expected to have overscan. Everyone has overscan still, it won't go away for another 10+ years probably . Most people might claim they don't have it because the fansubs they have watched did not cut into the subs, so everything seemed ok even though there was a large chunk of video below the subs cut off (not to mention the other 3 sides).

The only real "solution" is to have a customizable zoom on the TV you bought, thus you can just zoom out some.
Old 2007-12-24, 03:57   Link #15
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

Thank goodness it wasn't just me who couldn't play DB releases on the PS3!
Old 2008-01-02, 19:59   Link #16
Zoe

Does anybody convert their mkv files with PS3 Video 9? I read that it's supposed to convert them in a manner of minutes, but each time I try it, it takes more than 30 minutes. Is there a setting I'm missing?
Old 2008-01-02, 21:41   Link #17
Takeru
Jag äter idioter
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Takeru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
Does anybody convert their mkv files with PS3 Video 9? I read that it's supposed to convert them in a manner of minutes, but each time I try it, it takes more than 30 minutes. Is there a setting I'm missing?
depends on what you're trying to convert
when I used PSP Video9 it took a 5 minute PV almost 45 minutes to convert.
Old 2008-01-03, 09:38   Link #18
Zoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeru View Post
depends on what you're trying to convert
when I used PSP Video9 it took a 5 minute PV almost 45 minutes to convert.
The passthrough option isn't really supposed to convert it though, just repackage it :\
Old 2008-01-11, 09:39   Link #19
Setesch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon9283 View Post
I tried an ep from dattebayo and it played for 6 seconds.
was that for a so called [DB] Bleach 144 episode because i downloaded 2 different torrents for that and they were the same, and the episode was fucked because it was an old episode and only would play about 6 or so seconds
i finally got a working one from TPB