View Poll Results: Do you still watch domestic television
I still watch domestic television programs on a regular basis 34 24.46%
I don't bother with domestic television programs regularly anymore. 105 75.54%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-02-07, 14:50   Link #21
Circular Logic
土は幻に
*Fansubber

I haven't watched TV in a long while... Apart from the news. Got to keep up to date! But I don't see why I should watch UK TV when Japanese TV is so much better.
Circular Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 15:29   Link #22
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Tv, abandoned.
While it was a faithful friend back in the year (the Eighties, with the technology of nowadays still far away) , now it has become like more a memento.
Plus, italian television is really going down and down.

I just save the news.

Then there's the pay tv, which is genuinely better, products are more interesting, and with that I can watch the soccer matches of italian championship (soccer is quite a Bible in my country, and I'm addicted as well , proof it is that even now I'm watching a match of second division ^^).

But anyway, I'd say that excepting news and sport (mostly tennis, soccer and volley) , I turn on the tv just for my anime and for my dvds.

Oh, also, in a couple of days Winter Olympic Games will start in my country, I'm so fond of this... and I guess my hours per day watching tv will increase a bit for those two weeks ^^
Old 2006-02-07, 15:40   Link #23
Furudanuki

I watch TV primarily for the news. If I run across something interesting on Discovery, Animal Planet or History Channel I usually will watch. But I haven't regularly followed any series since Babylon 5 wrapped up. A nonstop barrage of "Reality" shows killed any remaining desire I might have had to watch network televsion. Oh, for the record I am located in and referring to TV in the US.
Furudanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 16:28   Link #24
Bracken33

I abandoned my TV too. But the main reasons are games and the internet, not so much anime.
The average TV program is also pretty bad and annoying.
Bracken33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 16:34   Link #25
elniro

Send a message via MSN to elniro
I choose 2nd option.

Im at university durin the week and i dnt have tv so no tv for me durin the week, and when im at home durin the weekends i usually occupy my time playing CSS, listening to music and watching the anime that came out that week (as i cant use bittorrent at uni)
elniro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 16:34   Link #26
Kupo!
Shane-kun

Send a message via AIM to Kupo! Send a message via MSN to Kupo! Send a message via Yahoo to Kupo!
I don't watch TV nearly as much as I used to. Whenever I'm not watching anime, I'm usually playing video games.
Kupo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 17:05   Link #27
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...

Well I don't watch near as much TV as I used to, but that is due to games not Anime (well maybe partly Anime).

I still watch Surface, Stand-up comedians, both Stargates, and Family Guy.
Orchunter226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 17:28   Link #28
Knight Hawk
Lurker

Sci fi friday line up: Stargate SG-1/Atlantis and Battlestar Galactica.
Other then that i keep my tv on NY1 for news and the tv keeps my room nice and bright
Knight Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 17:58   Link #29
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I still watch TV... a little. I have three programs I watch and the rest is just babble: Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis and 24. If something else of similar quality (of interest to me) is aired on TV, I'd watch it.

Aside from that all I watch is anime. And I don't watch anime on TV because dubbed voice acting makes me want to smash the TV set.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 18:02   Link #30
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Never during the week. At weekend's I only tend to watch the news and Takeshi's Castle if I can remember which station it's on...

The rest of the time it's dvds or anime, subbed only.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 18:47   Link #31
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I don't watch TV very much, other than sports and the news in the morning... I'd much rather just watch anime. I do watch Family Guy DVDs, though.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 19:04   Link #32
Mr.Hawq
The Hawqman

Wrestling
Family guy
Witch hunter robin
Movies on ppv
Soccer
Basketball
Hockey
News

I think thats about it. Oh yah also the music vid channel.
Mr.Hawq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 19:12   Link #33
AnimePlus
Banned

Send a message via AIM to AnimePlus
TV is boring the only thing I really watch is Barclays soccer (I'm from the US though) and the news.
AnimePlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 19:48   Link #34
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

I used to watch tons of TV. I'd only ever leave it when I had a game to play. But about six years ago I worked for a satellite TV company (Starchoice) and that kinda made me sick of it all. But my roomate's a TV addict and I need to go by the TV to get to the bathroom so if it's something interresting I'll watch until my bladder reminds me why I went upstairs and I need to book it to the can.

I like a lot of the discovery shows but I don't get to see them all that often.

So yeah, everything I need is on my computer, from news to anime
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 20:26   Link #35
ukanimemike
Love Animes !

Send a message via AIM to ukanimemike Send a message via MSN to ukanimemike Send a message via Yahoo to ukanimemike
I do watch TVs, there's need a good balance between normal TV and animes. Some TV are essential in everyday such as "News" and the comedy still good to watch....

^_^
ukanimemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 20:31   Link #36
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Yes. TV is still the major medium of which hockey is transmitted. Up here we have Hockey Night in Canada, and I do catch regularly games of my team (Canucks) playing. Of course, there are other few excellent television shows that grasps my attention: Daily Planet, How It's Made (I absolutely love this show. Products made through post-industrial/commercial processes of manufacturing. Emotionally sterile yet wonderous at the same time. Mesmerizingly interesting and educational. We take modern things we see and use too far for granted. One view of this show will humble [perhaps even disgust] you. /plug), Reno 911, Just for Laughs Gags, and the popular programs of The Simpsons, and Family Guy.

Anime did have an impact on my TV viewing habits. Before I came across anime, I watched innumerous amounts of sitcoms in addition to other shows I mentioned above. After I discovered and got into anime, I diverted more and more time from those sitcoms to watch anime instead. Basically, anime replaced sitcoms.

I don't see TV becoming obsolete (that is, until a technologically better medium comes along). Granted, there are a lot of mediocre shows on TV (excluding News and Sports), but there will always be the few gems and the rare greats in the medium of TV that'll give one reasons to keep reaching for the remote. As long as such shows exist to be found, I will not abandon it.

Last edited by Muir Woods; 2006-02-08 at 00:02.
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 23:02   Link #37
sorvani

i am forced to answer that "I still watch domestic television programs on a regular basis" because i have my DVR record Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Battlestar Galactica, & iGPX every week. Well iGPX is over for a while, so i'm down to three. I don't watch anything else on it. I'm seriously contemplating shutting down my Dish Network service, but i really DO like those 3 shows.
sorvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 23:34   Link #38
hikaru2895
GPL Freedom Fighter

I'm like DaFool.

The last time I watched TV was in a hotel room. Saw GITS on Adult Swim.

I was suprised, the dub was good, I'll have to check out the dubs more often...

I don't even have a TV. The only thing I might want a TV for would be the Presidential Debates, but I was able to see them just fine on VOA on my computer. I get my news from Google News and various links from blogs.
Old 2006-02-08, 00:08   Link #39
DrewGSR

I only watch normal tv for basically sports and thats about it only. Other then that the channel primary stays on ESPN, Fox Sports or Comedy Central since I love watching stand up when they have it on.

I dont watch regular tv shows though well not on tv at least only real show im watching is 24. But i download it since i dont like commercials lol.
DrewGSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 00:13   Link #40
Aristophanes
I have returned

Send a message via MSN to Aristophanes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circular Logic
I haven't watched TV in a long while... Apart from the news. Got to keep up to date! But I don't see why I should watch UK TV when Japanese TV is so much better.
I realise that alot of Jap media is excellent, but it ain't all good.
Besides British T.V is probably the best in the world and always has been...
Aristophanes is offline   Reply With Quote