AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-11-28, 02:26   Link #1
Dragosmore
Translator

Send a message via AIM to Dragosmore
Lord of Lords Ryu Knight

Hello everyone! As you may or may not know, NewLife-Anime (NLA) previously released 3 episodes of this great TV series and then dropped. We at Triad have decided to pick it up and bring you the greatness of all 52 episodes. I can guarantee as of right now than more than 3 episodes will be out (because beyond episode 3 has been translated already, hehe). Anyway, the story is great, and just because it's old, doesn't mean it's bad. If you like adventure stories with magic and fun and comedy, you'll love this. Not many people really liked the OVA, but the TV has a completely different feel.

Trust me, even if you hated the OVA and thought it was terrible, give the TV series a shot, because it's great. There is no 12 swords or anything of the sort :P Just give it a shot and don't be biased right away.

If you've never heard of it, it's great.

In a world where a giant sword stands upon a land full of adventure and magic...
A world called Earth Tear.
This is the story of heroes who tirelessly journeyed across Earth Tear.

Welcome to the land of Adeu, Sarutobi, Izumi, Paffy, Katze and other great characters with great plot. Enter if you dare!
Old 2003-11-28, 03:06   Link #2
marin

How does it compare to the original Magic Knight Rayearth?
Old 2003-11-28, 03:08   Link #3
Dragosmore
Translator

This series isn't related to Magic Knight Rayearth at all ^^;;;

However, most people say it's one of the better older animes (it aired in 1994) along with Hunter x Hunter, One Piece, Magic Knight Rayearth, some of El Hazard, etc.
Old 2003-11-28, 03:26   Link #4
Xiandu
Destroyer of the God Deus

Send a message via AIM to Xiandu
Great because i really like you guys at Triad. Question though; i love anime like record of lodoss war, bastard, slayers stuff like that you know with magic, knights, and dragons. Would this show be a good one to watch then?
Old 2003-11-28, 03:32   Link #5
corp20
Internet God

Question

If it isn't any problem can you tell me what it is about?
Well I haven't seen the OVA so thats why I'm asking.
Old 2003-11-28, 03:58   Link #6
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

It is a TV series, not OVA and if you want to know what it is about check out Torrents for Lord of Lords Ryu Knight TV. On that page (Under the heading of "More info:") there are several links listed that provide information about the show.

This trick will work for almost any show listed on AnimeSuki.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2003-11-28, 04:15   Link #7
corp20
Internet God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
It is a TV series, not OVA and if you want to know what it is about check out Torrents for Lord of Lords Ryu Knight TV. On that page (Under the heading of "More info:") there are several links listed that provide information about the show.

This trick will work for almost any show listed on AnimeSuki.
Thanks for telling me. And Dragosmore said something about there being a bad OVA.
Old 2003-11-28, 05:00   Link #8
FeiFongWong

I got a newbie question for you guys, what does OVA stand for anyways!? :_) And about this series, any award sexual tension? Hehe, I love animes with a little sexual tension, like Onegai Teacher/Twins and Da Capo
Old 2003-11-28, 05:09   Link #9
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeiFongWong
I got a newbie question for you guys, what does OVA stand for anyways!? :_) And about this series, any award sexual tension? Hehe, I love animes with a little sexual tension, like Onegai Teacher/Twins and Da Capo
There isn't any 'sexual tension' in LoLRK, it's more along the lines of Slayers (see the above posts and read the synopses for details)

As for the meaning of OVA, have a look at the thread in this forum called How Many Episodes: Answered here!. Have a look at the last post of the thread as it puts TV series, OVAs and Films in context with each other.

Quote:
OVA (Original Video Animation)
An OVA release means that the series hasn't been shown on TV before but is released straight into the 'video marketplace'. That's where the name comes from, it's an original video release (and the term was used many years ago before these new fangled DVDs were popular).

The OVA release schedule can be several weeks or months between one episode and the next (and please note, it is common for just one 30 minute episode to be released on a DVD in Japan). Due to this, the animation for an OVA can be very high quality. OVAs are funded before the project is started so they can put time and money into the story and artwork.

The length of an OVA can vary a lot but 4 or 6 episodes is common (or used to be). I think the general consensus is that the OVA marketplace is declining and so not as many are being made now as 5-10 years ago.

A typical OVA episode lasts for 30 minutes (since they don't have to allow for any advert breaks).
Old 2003-11-28, 05:14   Link #10
Sakaki-
AnimeONE Typesetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiandu
Great because i really like you guys at Triad. Question though; i love anime like record of lodoss war, bastard, slayers stuff like that you know with magic, knights, and dragons. Would this show be a good one to watch then?
It's style is quite similar to record of lodoss war tv imho.
Old 2003-11-28, 06:04   Link #11
Koshiba

Send a message via AIM to Koshiba Send a message via MSN to Koshiba
The sounds interesting. I'll give it a download. ^^
Old 2003-11-28, 06:46   Link #12
Tboz

Hmmm... Other than the fantasy settings, Slayers and Lodess War are quite different in my opinion... I will download it and have a look too.
Old 2003-11-28, 07:16   Link #13
Xiandu

Thanks for the replies. i think i will get this one.

to Tboz: I know that slayers and lodoss war are quite different but the fantasy setting is what originally drew me to them. That is why i was asking if i liked those anime, would i like this anime. Both are different but are both ones i really like with the whole fantasy setting.
Old 2003-11-28, 09:13   Link #14
LiQuid|J
Pantsu Faito!

Ugh, just when I thought I had enough anime to follow... This will be show #21 for me at present.
Old 2003-11-28, 09:30   Link #15
Xiandu

Yeah i hear ya it will be #24 for me......Woah holy shit!
Old 2003-11-28, 15:57   Link #16
Tboz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiandu
Thanks for the replies. i think i will get this one.

to Tboz: I know that slayers and lodoss war are quite different but the fantasy setting is what originally drew me to them. That is why i was asking if i liked those anime, would i like this anime. Both are different but are both ones i really like with the whole fantasy setting.
No, no... I wasn't critisizing your taste...

What I meant was xris said it resembles Slayers while Sakaki said it resembles Lodoss War TV. While I have never watched Lodess War TV before, I feel it should be quite like the OVA, which is different in atmosphere with Slayers. Hence the question...

Sorry if I had offended...
Old 2003-11-28, 16:05   Link #17
Thany
Unfair

Anyway, any anime subbed by Triad must be great cauz they sub it
Old 2003-11-28, 16:48   Link #18
Relentless
Certifiably insane

I'm a bit slow (plus English is not my first languaje), so please enlighten me: is Triad going to release the episodes subbed by NewLife too?

I got a VHS fansub of this with the first OVA (Adeus Legend) several years ago and liked it quite a lot.

Many people I know disliked the goofy looking robots, and the animation is definitively early-90's, but the episodes I watched were entertaining and the characters are very likeable, no matter how cliched.

I don't remember it clearly, but I think the first OVA (Adeus Legend) is set before the TV series, when the main character was still a squire without Zephyr, his Ryu Knight. There's a second OVA, but only one episode has been subbed AFAIK.

Anyways, thanks to Triad for rescuing this series from undeserved oblivion

BTW, don't you think the robots look a lot like the ones in Gad Guard?
Old 2003-11-28, 17:18   Link #19
Dragosmore
Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
I'm a bit slow (plus English is not my first languaje), so please enlighten me: is Triad going to release the episodes subbed by NewLife too?
Triad just released episodes 1 and 2, with the following episodes on the way. NewLife did episodes 1-3. Basically, Triad is starting from the beginning of the series, not from where NewLife left off.
Old 2003-11-28, 20:09   Link #20
kuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
I don't remember it clearly, but I think the first OVA (Adeus Legend) is set before the TV series, when the main character was still a squire without Zephyr, his Ryu Knight.
The OVA isn't set before the TV series... They are completely independent, what is absolutely now a uncommon thing.

Ryu Knight was really popular around 1994/1995. I have some old Animage where Paffy (the main female character) was most popular female character of the year.

A cute Paffy figure:

The main cast:

Japanese DVD box 1:

Adieu:

Paffy:

Izumi:

Katze:

Closed Thread