AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-09-28, 23:12   Link #1
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher

Bartender

The site:

http://www.bartender-tv.com

I have read it is going to be about the bartender listening to the patrons stories, in what might be a "different story each week" format, but nothing else beyond that.

I hope it is as good as I am thinking it might be.

Anyone else looking forward to this one?
Nemo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-28, 23:15   Link #2
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang
I think I'll watch the first episode just to see how absurd the premise really is. From what I'm read on the anime's website, it's going to have the bartender guy making cocktails soooo good that they can heal people's sorrows. Kind of like mahou shoujo, but replacing the heroine with a bartender and magic powers with drinks.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru episode 6: Dawn of the golden witch
Translations & summaries & screenshots
Part I | Part II In progress
Li Jianliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-28, 23:22   Link #3
xxxButterfliesxxx

Send a message via AIM to xxxButterfliesxxx Send a message via MSN to xxxButterfliesxxx
Ummm...since i'm not fluent in Japanese, can someone give a summary for the anime, and is there a manga? <<sorry if it's dumb to ask.
xxxButterfliesxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-28, 23:26   Link #4
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Bartender isn't out in fansubs yet. It's not even showing yet.

I have some minor expectations, but it really depends on the overall presentation.
Will it be a mature and realistic presentation of a relation formed between strangers bridged by cocktails, and how peoples face the sorrows and troubles of their life with the help of others and find lessons in life, accompanied with beautiful, classical piano music arrangements, beautiful visual directing (( these kinds of anime need strong visual directing to help convey emotions better, especially if it's going to be episodic )), and a realistic depiction of both professional bartending and flair bartending without juggling exagerrations?

Or will it be a shouneny unrealistic show where customer comes in, gets drunk, tells life story, and the bartender uses his l33t powahs to juggle 10 bottles in the air, mix his cocktails and offer it to the customer ON TEH HOUSE, the customer drinks it, gets a Chuuka Ichiban-ish/Addicted to Curry-ish reaction, and is revitalized with vigor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxButterfliesxxx
Ummm...since i'm not fluent in Japanese, can someone give a summary for the anime, and is there a manga? <<sorry if it's dumb to ask.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=781
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-28, 23:32   Link #5
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Well, if the anime will be anything similar to the manga, it'll be the former, Nightengale. The manga is quite mature and believable and doesn't even have furigana, which means that it's probably aimed at the 18-25 crowd.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-28, 23:32   Link #6
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxButterfliesxxx
Random Curiosity's preview of the fall shows is great resource. It gives a brief and unsympathetic outline. But I think the setup could be good. It all depends on how it's used. According to the Anime News Network Bartender page he links to, yes, there is a manga.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Curiosity
This show is about a genius bartender who has an ability called “God’s Glass.” Apparently, he’s so good that he’s able to awaken memories and heal sorrow. Ok, to be honest, I can’t say the words “God’s Glass” without laughing because of how corny it sounds - very much in the we-can-make-an-anime-about-any-topic sense. But this doesn’t sound like this is a competitive bartending anime, but rather a drama about a bartender helping people out.
I see there are at least five volumes of the manga, so someone must like it. It appears in a Shueisha magazine called Super Jump, which is marketed as a magazine for young men (late teens and early twenties).
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-09-28 at 23:43.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-29, 06:21   Link #7
eggplant
Eggplant

No wonder Bartender is targeted to a mature audience.

Looking at the group photo, the supporting cast/staff look quite....old.

Yuri de yuri de yuriyuri ne!--Tsunomoto Rein

eggplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-29, 06:46   Link #8
Lost

^ They'll prolly play the people that need "healing." Not a bad choice, we'll need really tired voicing. Anyhow thats good then, I'd prefer a mature theme over a mere bartending compeitition-like theme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale
Will it be a mature and realistic presentation of a relation formed between strangers bridged by cocktails, and how peoples face the sorrows and troubles of their life with the help of others and find lessons in life, accompanied with beautiful, classical piano music arrangements, beautiful visual directing (( these kinds of anime need strong visual directing to help convey emotions better, especially if it's going to be episodic )), and a realistic depiction of both professional bartending and flair bartending without juggling exagerrations?
Nicely put; exactly what I want. I suppose the best bartender would be the bartender that could soothe troubled customers with his words or listening ear, rather than throw bottles with "l33t powah."
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-29, 07:00   Link #9
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I'll admit it, I'm intrigued, though the intrigue is largely driven by 4chan /a/'s premature non-sensical hype of this series before anyone's even seen an episode. But, the potential's there, both for a masterpiece or a crap-fest. I'm with Lost, though, of Nightengale's two choices, I seriously hope it turns out to be the first one. That's a concept for an unforgettable anime right there. I picture Mushishi, but totally taking place in a bar and minus the supernatural aspect.

If it turns into the second choice, I think I'll bail after a couple of episodes.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-29, 07:07   Link #10
Lost

Lol.. its interesting the comparision this is getting with Mushishi; I myself can't help thinking of Mushishi when I see Bartender.

Dangerous tho, it may leave us disillusioned with Bartender; like it did with Kino no Tabi for me.
Old 2006-09-29, 07:25   Link #11
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Lol.. its interesting the comparision this is getting with Mushishi; I myself can't help thinking of Mushishi when I see Bartender.

Dangerous tho, it may leave us disillusioned with Bartender; like it did with Kino no Tabi for me.
Ah, the old Mushishi-Kino no Tabi comparison. I saw Kino no Tabi before I saw Mushishi and, even though I'd say Mushish is the better anime, KnT is very, very close to it in my eyes. Both have different strengths and weaknesses though, but they are very interesting anime to compare. I do agree with what you're saying. If we begin to expect Mushishi from Bartender, we're almost certain to be disappointed. Curbing our expectations is the best tactic (as it always is for any new anime), particularly considering that an anime of Mushishi's calibre only comes along maybe once or twice a year.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-29, 14:27   Link #12
Rion
Ramune~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K
If we begin to expect Mushishi from Bartender, we're almost certain to be disappointed.
I second that. From what I can see (from the manga), Bartender rather reminds me of Aria. Don't ask me why... And it features a (regular) bishoujo - yay!

Well, personally I think there are huge differences between Mushishi and Kino no Tabi - except for the fact that both are travelers. Mushishi never questions, say, "systems", Kino does the whole time. Mushishi is, imho, more about interaction between people themselves, Kino is more about the environment in which people live (you might notice that the villages that Ginko visits are basically all the same - they only vary by different characters and mushis). Ginko tries to interact and help all the time - in fact, his proposal of traveling is to help people to get along with mushis, Kino tries to stay out of everything and be neutral. Imho, Ginko is a caring and warm-hearted person who only appears cool on the outside while Kino is seriously emotionally indifferent towards things (except for episode 13) and only acts out of morality and politeness. I even think that the atmosphere of these anime are rather different (Ginko doesn't talk much to himself and you don't have any cheesy monologue/dialogues).

Oh by the way, I prefer Kino no Tabi over Mushishi *hrr* I'm more interested in "systems" than human interaction or mystery after all.
Rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-30, 03:15   Link #13
Lost

^ I have to agree with your second paragraph. Further Mushishi is believable and grounded in realism as far as humans are concerned, yet KnT is heavily allegorical at parts. Thats why I think a comparison between the two is pretty unfair; even if KnT is the only one that comes near to Mushishi, its really "near" by a longshot. Sorry, off-topic.
Old 2006-09-30, 03:26   Link #14
Zappster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rion
I second that. From what I can see (from the manga), Bartender rather reminds me of Aria. Don't ask me why... And it features a (regular) bishoujo - yay!
Haha. That was my initial reaction upon reading someone's translation of the synopsis of the show. Turns out I misinterpreted what he wrote. Oh well, if it turns out to be Aria without the cuteness or Mushishi without the supernatural aspect, I'll be happy. I'm watching this show out of curiosity more than anything else, so we'll see where it goes.
Zappster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-01, 02:50   Link #15
gianna
gigi

Someone finally made a Bartender thread! I've been waiting for this series for a few months now

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant
No wonder Bartender is targeted to a mature audience.

Looking at the group photo, the supporting cast/staff look quite....old.

lol And thank you for that translation

I does seem like it will be similar to Mushishi and Aria and that's what I was really wanting I finally had a chance to look at some of the manga and I really like what I've seen And finally a trailer! Love it Just two more weeks
gianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-01, 08:28   Link #16
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Trailer http://youtube.com/watch?v=R8wrOHGzkaQ
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-01, 11:12   Link #17
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
So far, there's nothing in the trailer that hasn't already been obvious about this show.

But I guess it was good to hear Ryo's voice, since he sounds a lot more "bishouneny" than I expected him to be.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-01, 11:16   Link #18
BluWacky
尻の竜

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
So far, there's nothing in the trailer that hasn't already been obvious about this show.

But I guess it was good to hear Ryo's voice, since he sounds a lot more "bishouneny" than I expected him to be.
I'm guessing it's Jun Fukuyama because a) it sounds like him and b) he's in absolutely everything these days...
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-01, 16:05   Link #19
gianna
gigi

Ryuu's VA is Takahiro Mizushima

lol Did he really come off as -bishouneny- That wasn't my first thought
gianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-01, 16:48   Link #20
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Soft&effeminate voice = "bishouneny" voice. 8)

I think I've taken the Mushishi comparison a bit too literally, since I've expected him so sound like Ginko or one of the characters from Hachikuro. 8)
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote