AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

View Poll Results: Rate Mai Otome
Perfect 10 11 6.75%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 41 25.15%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 40 24.54%
7 out of 10 : Good 47 28.83%
6 out of 10 : Average 15 9.20%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 7 4.29%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.61%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.61%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-12, 13:44   Link #1
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

The Mai Otome Season Rating and Final Discussion Thread

This thread was created for rating/discussing the entire Mai Otome season.

Subjects that may be discussed in this thread:
  • General impression on the series
  • Opinions… like how some things should have been done
  • Earlier subjects that you feel were misinterpreted
  • Comments on the concepts of the series
  • Rating for the series… basically what you liked or disliked about Mai Otome... making comparisons with other series is allowed… but please use Spoiler Tags when referring to them… I for example haven’t seen Gundam Destiny or some of the others that were mentioned in previous ep discussion threads… and having them spoiled wasn’t very nice

Spoiler Tag Usage:

Writing this …
[spoiler=Subject]Spoilers R us[/spoiler]

…will make it look like this…

Spoiler for Subject:

My view on the show :

I liked Otome because it had a great deal of characters... the first time I seen one with so many (I don't think even Bleach or Naruto focused on so much character development... and considering Otome is only a 26ep series it's bold and impressive, IMO)

Another thing that I liked about Otome were the Otome robes... like Natsuki's (silver=gold )… or Arikas blue sapphire robe… too bad she’s going to use the butchered one (which IMO is uglier then her normal one… )… Nina’s robe is nice too… the black one seems to be cooler when animated (judging from the image on the official site)… perhaps that’s why it wasn’t used earlier on… Miss Maria is cool too...

Now some things that bothered me after Otome finished...

I'm starting to doubt the hole "Tate = Sergay" thing... the only thing they got going for them is the blond hair ... and I don't remember Tate as a chick magnet (he only had Mai and Shiho if I remember well )... I'd say that the Captain guy is a much more likely candidate. Here are some of my arguments :
  1. He had some sort of scar… somewhere
  2. Natsuki hated him... with no apparent reason.
  3. He resisted his pervert instincts... in his own way
  4. He was a military type of guy
  5. He had some brains...
  6. He knew how to fight... probably
  7. He was the "I want to help people" type of guy (well compared to Tate )
  8. He survived major blood lost

As for Tate... uh... well...all the arguments I can think of are : he's blond , and he was a main character.

Full series opinion...

Some people suggested that the series would be better watched from beginning to end in one go ... I bit to differ...HiME was much better watched this way then Otome, in concept and practice… I watched HiME from A to Z after watching Otome ep7 and it was genius... Otome is just one of those series were you’re probably better of watching it every week when it airs, and discussing it with people… it has that type of mystery (well it tried to have that type of mystery)… I think it would get really boring if watched otherwise (of course I could be wrong :P)

My Rating…

One of the strong points of Otome was it's "I R offer" thing from the begging... when it showed the promise of bringing some super exiting story... kind of sucked when it ended up with an average story ... oh well the sheer excitement from the beginning can't be taken back... it was totally dumped... but it still counts in the rating ... I give it 9.5/10 for the Promise Factor...

Otome didn't reach that high cord with fighting scenes in the second half but up to ep7 it was perfectly balanced... for disappointing in most of the rest of the Ep, and not keeping constant action I give it 7.9/10 (I liked some of the DotVSDot action too )...

Character development isn't really my thing(I appreciate it … but just don’t feel it’s that important to concentrate on developing all the characters in the that type of setting, I personally don’t really like mutants, MO as I see it is suppose to be love story + comedy + war + action + fairy tale + drama… it’s a little too much )… still, for devoting enough time for the Mashiro and Nina I say 9/10 (I'd give it a 10 but Arika's character development sucked on so many levels )...

Fan-service... hmmm... I saw people complain about it in some of the threads... I think the same people that liked it the most in the begging *points at Natsuki's naked butt and the beach party*... I personally think it was perfectly balanced... zero to little fan-service in the second part... some constraint in the first... 10/10 ...

Humor was... uh... ok did we see any that wasn't fan-service ?... a yes MAKI MAKI ... perfect 10 because I loved it ... and for being able to make so much of so little

Overall I say the series was Good

Note : You can also discuss anything in this thread that would go a little off topic in others, like :

Who else thinks Gigi is going to be a main character in the next season, or maybe in the OVA, she gets a lot of screen time for a character that never talks, and her character design looks unique.
Old 2006-04-12, 15:10   Link #2
Preston
I am the lies in you.
*Author

I loved it. Not as good as Evangelion, but I shall never find a series that captures my attention so swiftly. I'll edit this post with a review later.. but no time now.. I voted 9/10. Oh yeah.. and.. dare I say it.. it might have beaten HiME for me.. but I'll have to think about this. I only hope Sunrise rakes in a load of cash with the OVAs and we get a series two. I'll be happy just so long as Nina, Natsuki, Nao, Chie, Miyu and Aoi get plenty of screen time.. (Nagi goes without saying) and Erstin comes back from the dead. Hah, well, I'd just be happy if The Mai Project continued.
Old 2006-04-12, 16:32   Link #3
Silveril
Chopper Disciple

not as good as evangelion? did you even watch the end of evangelion?
anyway, i thought that it was a good show, not as good a mai-hime though;
too many characters meaning no developpment for most of them (hello 5 minutes of each pillars action; 2 episodes with mai and mikoto showing) well i can only hope will get something more in the ovas...
also, what's up with so many actionless episodes? some were like *hello? blablablablbalbalbalbalblablablbala nonsense and useless talking blablbalblablbalbla*xD
however there were some good points also: miyu comming back and transforming the moon into a giant pokeball (ahahah I laught so hard), the materialize! sequences, the robes (even thought i have to agree with blackcat (what's up with arika's final robe? it's so ugly!!)..
that must be it.

anyway this is just my opinion x)
Old 2006-04-12, 17:47   Link #4
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
The series was good, it wasn't super great or super bad, just another ok series.

Quote:
I'm starting to doubt the hole "Tate = Sergay" thing... the only thing they got going for them is the blond hair ... and I don't remember Tate as a chick magnet (he only had Mai and Shiho if I remember well )... I'd say that the Captain guy is a much more likely candidate. Here are some of my arguments :
And Sergay only had Nina and Arika going for him.

I'm not so sure about Mai since nothing is ever mentioned about it.
Old 2006-04-12, 23:41   Link #5
shikamarufoo

I loved the series though, it didn't bring out the full potential I thought it had...
Series barely touches on the level that Mai HIme brought to the anime game. The love-story was different and original, something I liked, though the age gap could have been a bit smaller.
The end feels super rushed especially how we get to see all the super-duper cool stuff for only 10 minutes or less.
Characters were great, though not too much development. It was cool though, seeing everyone especially Mikoto in that outfit with Mai-chan~
I loved the music, and it always seemed to fit in with the mood like video game music. 2nd OP was my favorite and ED was ok, though I only listened to it while watching Arika's butt bounge back n forth lol JK...
Overall 8.5/10
Old 2006-04-13, 00:32   Link #6
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
I vote for 9/10
It's not Perfect Than Mai HIME(Forget about the Bad ending and the Worst Ending from Director Cut), Not a Master Piece
But, Mai Otome is a good evolution for the Work of Sunrise
Just forget about some Episode Fanservice (Can count a lot...) But the End was the best... The Music is good too but maybe inferior than Mai HIME and some Kajiura Composition... If You listen some Old Anime With Kajiura, she lost some inspiration and some Music looks Same...
But in the End, 9/10... Watch it, love it...
Give him 8/10 If you haven't watched Mai HIME Yet
Old 2006-04-13, 00:44   Link #7
Pakxenon
popcorn

9/10

All it needed was more action and less talking, but otherwise everything was really good, fast-paced (a little TOO fast...), and has addictive factors.

Compared to Mai-HiME, it barely edges out since Mai-Otome was more happier and less tragic. The ending is WAY better than HiME's, though, by a LONG SHOT.
Old 2006-04-13, 01:02   Link #8
BigPrime

8/10 for me, but I don't think I'd ever give something 10/10 (that would be utter perfection and thus unattainable). It had some flaws, but all shows do. It had fun, cute characters, some good action and a pretty good story. It might have used a bit more action here and there, but what it had was more than good enough. It might have focused some more on some of the other characters, but those we got were well done. The story could have gone a little faster earlier so that it didn't have to rush as fast at the end, but I like the almost slice-of-life aspects of Arikas early days at Garderobe. I like slice of life. It had a good segue into the more serious plot and generally did well without needing any sort of reset to give non-depressing ending. All in all, this show was well worth my time watching it since October and I'll probably sink the money to buy it when/if it comes out Stateside.
Old 2006-04-13, 02:07   Link #9
razi192

until the few last episodes I would give it like 8.5/10, but the action is too fast in the last episodes and they leave so many unaswered questions in the end that I can now give it 7/10 and wait hoping that the OVAs will solve a little.

Mai Hime was much better though.
Old 2006-04-13, 02:12   Link #10
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatXIII
He had some sort of scar… somewhere
Natsuki hated him... with no apparent reason.
He resisted his pervert instincts... in his own way
He was a military type of guy
He had some brains...
He knew how to fight... probably
He was the "I want to help people" type of guy (well compared to Tate )
He survived major blood lost

As for Tate... uh... well...all the arguments I can think of are : he's blond , and he was a main character.
You forgot that he wasted Smith.
Old 2006-04-13, 17:56   Link #11
The Bloodlust Kid
Needs a better screenname

Send a message via AIM to The Bloodlust Kid
I give it a 8 out of 10.

Otome had great potential, it's only drawback is it's episode limitations.

I thought Mai-HiME would have a great prequel and now the problem has passed down to Otome.

I really do like how Otome was able to create unique societies but the problem is that Windbloom was the only country to get the most exposure.

The main problem about Otome is that the history of Earl wasn't explained much.

What Otome needs is an artbook that can be viewed as a mock history book. Similar to "Xenogears: Perfect Works" if anybody's familiar with that.

And the inclusion of Annam is a plus for me.
Old 2006-04-13, 18:10   Link #12
Thesinwithin
Undersea Lolcano

Send a message via AIM to Thesinwithin
Personally, I'd give the series an 8/10 because, although a great continuation of the things started in HiME, there were far too many plot holes left unfilled at the end of the storyline.

I did enjoy the early episodes for their slice-of-life-at-Galuderobe, not to mention their comedic value. Arika and Nina's excellant adventures were a real treat to watch.

At the same time, I really wish that Nagi's invasion of Windbloom had happened before episode seventeen. If there were, say, a few more episodes to flesh out the conflict, I have a feeling that the whole 'last dot-vs-dot' would have not seemed so much like a cop-out to me.

I found that the character development was lacking in some areas, but great in others. Nina, Arika and Maishiro were all well fleshed-out characters before the great Nagi (heh, I typed Negi there first... fufufufu) invasion. At the same time, I found myself annoyed at the way that some of the characters were introduced at the very end of the series. And that there was NO EXPLANATION for half of the things that happened in the series.

The main reason I watched this show after watching HiME was for the comedic element, and after that, the Shizuru and Natsuki relationship that to me, at least, seemed to be not as one-sided as it was in HiME. Unfortunatly, Teh Kurger is far too ... dumb for my taste. Natsuki should never be as... I hate to say it, stupid as she was for a good portion of the series. That was one of the major turn offs of the series for me.

Other than that, Maki Maki and Miyu's decent back into Fuuka made the show really worth it for me.

---

Overall - 8/10

Last edited by Thesinwithin; 2006-04-13 at 20:05.
Old 2006-04-13, 18:58   Link #13
Kata

8/10

I gave the series an 8/10 because it wasn't perfect, I have yet to see an Anime that is. I enjoyed Mai Otome, not as much as Mai Hime though. Three episodes into the series I saw common threads develop in the way the Mai Hime counterparts act in Mai Otome. I like the quirky humor, the feeling of impending doom. Nagi's "Napoleon Complex", and the fact they made Tate (Sergay) much manlier than before. Personally watching seeing Mai Hime before Mai Otome kind of spoiled the way the story would develop, but it also made it easier to look past the plot holes. Good series overall I enjoyed it a lot, anything to break the depression of Naruto's 60 episode filler streak.
Old 2006-04-14, 00:42   Link #14
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
As much I'd love to give the series a 10/10, I have to be fair and give it only 8/10. Granted I love My-Otome over all. I also enjoy the references to My-HiME. Especially certain heavy references. Also some of the characters were quite interesting and I liked how many got involved in the final battle.

Now for the flaws. Mainly the flaw comes in the under development of several characters. Plus it doesn't help that several characters appear at the last minute. I would have also liked to have seen more battles. My-Otome suffers from the same fate as My-HiME. In the sense that both should have been several episodes longer to flesh out certain aspects.

If I was being completely biased I'd give the series at least a 9/10, but since I'm trying to be a bit fair and less biased. My rating will have to stand as an 8/10 over all. Simple as that. Still it's become one of my favorite series for its time. So that should count for something if you ask me.
Old 2006-04-14, 04:18   Link #15
Conri

I decided not to vote because I'd like to give it a 6.5...not consistently good, but not average either. There were some nice episodes during the first half, but I feel that there were so many characters and plotlines to fit in that both of these started to fall apart towards the end. I'm looking forward to the OVA, and I still hope they can learn from HiME and Otome and put together a more focused third season.

For comparison, I would have given Mai-HiME an 8 overall. For overall series in general, I don't think I'd give out many "Very Good" or "Excellent" and "Perfection" is virtually impossible.
Old 2006-04-14, 07:39   Link #16
Axial
Lord of all Lurkers

Overall, 8/10.

Very nice, but could've been much better.

A vast set of characters but able to focus on the main ones and give some of the subs a second job.

Wasted many episodes but came up with a satisfying ending, considering how they had so little time left and only a few episodes left to cramp everything in.

They could've made the robes look nicer, but they're great anyways. (Why must they burn off Rena's robe after Arika used it for only ONE episode, and then give her a fugleh fusion. But I'm happy with her Meister outfit *points at sig* :3)

Needs more action (the final battle was good ), and some characters were intro'ed too late, so late that I have no idea who they are or why they bother to include them. >_>;; (Exclude the Five Collumns/Pillars thingy and the like)

Funny, funny humour. But they stayed at the humour for a bit too long. xD Maki maki! And poor Akane + Kazuya. (´・ω・`)

Sergey has nine lives.

Too bad I haven't watch Mai-HiME yet. D: *checks KAA*

I really enjoyed Mai Otome. It's seriously a must-watch.

Maybe I should read the manga. D:
Old 2006-04-15, 09:17   Link #17
niwasatou
mind the gap
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to niwasatou
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatXIII
  1. He had some sort of scar… somewhere
  2. Natsuki hated him... with no apparent reason.
  3. He resisted his pervert instincts... in his own way
  4. He was a military type of guy
  5. He had some brains...
  6. He knew how to fight... probably
  7. He was the "I want to help people" type of guy (well compared to Tate )
  8. He survived major blood lost
Brains? WTF?

I voted 7/10. It was never even near to "as good as Hime".
I enjoyed it because I didn't have to think while watching it. Fin.
Old 2006-04-15, 10:13   Link #18
Eclipze

Things that were quite poorly executed in the series: (my opinions, incase you haven't noticed)
1) The potential. For a series with pretty well executed first few episodes, it had alot of potential (story-wise) at being a great anime. Ratings for Potential: 9/10

2) The fight scenes. If you take a look from episode 1-26, there was only one decent fight that was shown, that being Nina vs Arika in episode 3. Most the "fighting" bits was merely Otomes flying into each other, causing a big explosion. Ratings for the fights: 3/10.

3) The transition. The way that the story focus shifted from *school life of a happy-go-lucky girl* to a *full-scale invasion* was badly paced. One moment they give us character development of Arika, which I liked. Next moment, the invasion by the slaves, and intrusion by Artai. There was something lacking in between: something was missing. Ratings for transition: 5/10

4) Enjoyability. The first 15 or so episodes were highly enjoyable. Once the war theme was brought it, the way at which it was executed began to wane my interest in the anime. Episodes 19-23 really killed what I liked about the series, which was further enhanced (in the bad way) with low-quality of animation. Last 2 episodes redeemed it alot, yet had alot of holes to cover. Ratings for enjoyability: 8/10

5) Story/plot. The setting for MO was pretty well done, as were history of Earl. First 16-17 episodes generally had substance, which serverly lacked from 19-23, and episodes 25-26 concluded the series pretty well, save the un-answered questions. Ratings for story/plot: 7.5/10

6) Character development. Even though MO has a very large cast, only 6 characters went through some sort of development (Mashiro, Arika, Nina, Tomoe, Sergey, Erstin). However, the development for Mashiro, Sergey and Arika was pretty well fleshed-out and executed, hence it redeems the lack out characters who were developed. Ratings for c. development: 6.5/10

Overall ratings: 6.5 (+ favourtism 0.25) = 6.75/10. Its another "could had been" anime for me. Enjoyable, yes, but nothing memoriable.
Old 2006-04-15, 12:41   Link #19
Naif

I'll give it a 7

The story was good: It had many potential, but I don't know why the writers intended to take it to the wrong direction in most of the episodes.
The main problem with the siries imo is that it took a long time to introduce the characters and left very few episodes to continue with the plot. Another problem is that its main characters weren't as lovable or as cool as Mai Hime's characters.
On the other hand, some of the episodes were really good and the music and the design in general was also good.
Old 2006-04-15, 17:25   Link #20
Tremalkinger
Hai, Nao-oneesama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchiKyo
It's not Perfect Than Mai HIME(Forget about the Bad ending and the Worst Ending from Director Cut)
Wait, what? There's a director's cut ending?
Closed Thread