AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2012-07-13, 19:05   Link #361
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

I'm glad you can save anywhere now, I was kinda worried about the "Save Point" idea. ^^;

momobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 23:41   Link #362
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Interesting demo! Shorter than I expected, but pretty fun. Although I noticed that the action parts are easier to play if playing the game windowed then at full screen (which distorts the aspect ratio on my monitor, otherwise I would) as you have to move less distance in the same time.

A few minor things bugged me slightly though (or rather broke my suspension of disbelief, perhaps?)...
  • Many of the backgrounds set in 1947 had obvious modern cars visible, despite the effort to distort the background with filters. I found that a bit distracting. I know it's an alternate reality, but seeing 2012 car shapes doesn't quite fit with the rest of the scene.
  • Also I kind of question the reference material used for the Western-built cityscapes, which are clearly European based more than American. Sure, you can again say "alternate reality" and "facades", but it just looks a bit out of place for the described setting.
  • Lastly, was it just me, or did that American-recruited soldier's uniform look more like a German one than a US one? Even the belt buckle looked more like an iron eagle. I'm beginning to wonder if Ryuukishi needs to travel abroad more... (like come guest at one of our cons in the US, ha! )

But those are minor gripes really (I also find the notion of an "unexperienced" madam somehow running things at the club a bit tricky to swallow, but perhaps the story will explain that better later). The demo is fun and promising for the final version (can't wait to see what the action gameplay is like once we get the titular guns into the mix...as implied in the art in the OP!). It's a turn-based puncher/shooter novel! The feel also gives me a bit of a Sakura Taisen vibe, somehow, even if it is set later.

(MyAnimeList banner on hiatus until I bother to update my MyAnimeList status again...)
Ayu-ayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 09:01   Link #363
UsagiTenpura
Artist

I don't think RGDs being a mystery or not is any relevant to how much we can talk about it in threads. There are plenty of series here on animesuki that gets daily posts and has been doing so for years without them being mysteries.
I'd name To Aru as an example. Even without them being "mysteries" there are plenty of small mysteries, secrets and twists that we can guess at for many stories. I personally find guessing at those usually more interesting then trying to guess the truth in a 100% realistic mystery.

Obviously we haven't seen much of RGDs but I've certainly found some glimpses of it. With a structure of time that reveals much of "what's going to happen" without "how it happened" thanks to Julie (and the misinformation and wrong impressions that she can have), I'm fairly certain we're going to have a lot to guess about.

Like for instance, who is Jeanne or why does know what happened in 1947?
Or for instance, how will everyone die? since we've been told they are all dead (in 2012).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayu-ayu View Post
[*]Many of the backgrounds set in 1947 had obvious modern cars visible, despite the effort to distort the background with filters. I found that a bit distracting. I know it's an alternate reality, but seeing 2012 car shapes doesn't quite fit with the rest of the scene.
In Higurashi and Umineko, taking pictures around 2002 and 2006 didn't prevent Ryuukishi from making his story set in 1983 or 1986. Obviously it was convenient being a small village and a mansion on an island (not to know when it dated from) but R07 basically didn't change anything from what he did previously. Taking piccies and fuzzy editing them. Personally this always bugged me (come on, can't you do better 07th?) but not any more then in Higurashi/Umineko.

Quote:
[*]Also I kind of question the reference material used for the Western-built cityscapes, which are clearly European based more than American. Sure, you can again say "alternate reality" and "facades", but it just looks a bit out of place for the described setting.
In 1947 they said it was split between China and USA. We don't know what's between that time and the present time. In 2012 they talked about "westerners", not Americans. Maybe you are right, but it's early to know. My guess is that the european feel is something 07th wanted and have some reason of being there. To me a name like Jeanne or Julie anyway is not American at all but rather French. Guess we'll see. Post WW2 Germany and how it was split into two is most likely a big influence on RGDs.

Quote:
[*]Lastly, was it just me, or did that American-recruited soldier's uniform look more like a German one than a US one? Even the belt buckle looked more like an iron eagle. I'm beginning to wonder if Ryuukishi needs to travel abroad more... (like come guest at one of our cons in the US, ha! )
Personally don't care about that but it does remind me that WW2 didn't only involve Japan. What happened in GRDs Europe?

Last edited by UsagiTenpura; 2012-07-14 at 09:18.
UsagiTenpura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 05:12   Link #364
Bern-san

Today is Ushiromiya Battler's and Philip Butler's birthday so.....
Spoiler for taken from pixiv:
Old 2012-07-15, 19:31   Link #365
tantei okuoku
Mystery Otaku

my biggest question is how the phones work and there are so many of them it seems.

I also wish this was a mystery but you know, the characters and setting are a lot of fun, and it has plenty of spirit. also lets face it a break from murder and mayhem is a good thing every once in a while.

Yes I am happy the save feature will always on in the future. also I know everyone keeps complaining about the lack of mice for laptops, but I have been using my laptop's mouse pad just fine for this game, I always seem to get a good score. and I am pretty sure the point is to break up the dialogue, engage the reader, and avoid sprites having to do many actions and it works well for that.

also I don't know why but I don't really like the main character that much for some reason. though I generally care for his characters after they go nuts.

I do hope they replace that one picture with the modern cars when she is looking down because it does break suspension of disbelief. other then that everything went well. I do like the music, especially the leo in action one.

Last edited by tantei okuoku; 2012-07-15 at 20:04.
tantei okuoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 09:45   Link #366
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsagiTenpura View Post
In Higurashi and Umineko, taking pictures around 2002 and 2006 didn't prevent Ryuukishi from making his story set in 1983 or 1986. Obviously it was convenient being a small village and a mansion on an island (not to know when it dated from) but R07 basically didn't change anything from what he did previously. Taking piccies and fuzzy editing them. Personally this always bugged me (come on, can't you do better 07th?) but not any more then in Higurashi/Umineko.
Reread Watanagashi-hen, specificially the photographs of the toy store. Somebody on S-F's site mentioned seeing a bunch of post-1986 figures, including Pikachu.
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 19:53   Link #367
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantei okuoku View Post
my biggest question is how the phones work and there are so many of them it seems.
Not sure what you mean here. Telephones were fairly commonplace well before 1947.

(MyAnimeList banner on hiatus until I bother to update my MyAnimeList status again...)
Ayu-ayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 20:25   Link #368
tantei okuoku
Mystery Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayu-ayu View Post
Not sure what you mean here. Telephones were fairly commonplace well before 1947.
it's more a question of how he got the number for across the street when the guy did not know, that they where being held there
Old 2012-07-16, 21:27   Link #369
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

But Leo and all knew thanks to Richard. Even if the goons don't know that Alfred is actually across the street, if they somehow know the number (as one of their possible hideouts), that work without any problem.
Old 2012-07-18, 17:24   Link #370
tantei okuoku
Mystery Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
But Leo and all knew thanks to Richard. Even if the goons don't know that Alfred is actually across the street, if they somehow know the number (as one of their possible hideouts), that work without any problem.
I'll buy that. but I think he would have said that she might be there, when he was holding him over the street.
Old 2012-07-19, 00:27   Link #371
Ryuudou

I enjoyed it very much~
Ryuudou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 11:01   Link #372
Slay
[VN] Higurashi ~ Spanish

Send a message via MSN to Slay
Here's the Spanish Patch for the Trial Version of RGD.
http://www.mediafire.com/?uvhdekw2uf1e4f9

Enjoy it! (:

Last edited by Slay; 2012-07-20 at 15:05.
Slay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 11:19   Link #373
Joly
モエカステル

A ver. 2.00 for the RGD trial is up. Looks like you can now skip combat (space key) and save anywhere now.
Joly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 12:48   Link #374
Slay
[VN] Higurashi ~ Spanish

Send a message via MSN to Slay
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpepitone View Post
Reread Watanagashi-hen, specificially the photographs of the toy store. Somebody on S-F's site mentioned seeing a bunch of post-1986 figures, including Pikachu.
Old 2012-07-20, 17:13   Link #375
Corfish1001

I feel left out. I never notice the backgrounds beyond trying to place where the setting is. I don't notice the little details, because they're largely unimportant to the plot.
Corfish1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 08:05   Link #376
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

That's always going to be a problem with photographic backgrounds. Sure, you can Photoshop all you like, but they won't exactly be representative of the situation in the story itself.
Old 2012-07-21, 08:57   Link #377
Nigale86

Rose Guns Days is getting a Manga Adaption WOW that was quick the full game isn't even out yet

Art is to be drawn by Soichirou one of the artists doing sprites for the novel game

http://www.square-enix.com/jp/magazi...ext/index.html
Nigale86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 02:32   Link #378
Kirroha
Just... disturbed.

That's so cool O_O
Kirroha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 11:03   Link #379
st_nick5

Looks like it's been released. I've just paid for my copy on Amiami.com.
st_nick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 19:15   Link #380
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Yup, AmiAmi shipped my copy out yesterday. Looking forward to getting it.

Tags
ryukishi07, spoiler, visual novel