Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2005-12-18, 05:07   Link #1
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

[READ ME FIRST] AnimeSuki Playback Help Guide

Until I get around to updating the guide on AnimeSuki's server, please see the "Froth-Bite" guide, as mentioned in LytHka's post.
Quote:
...basically the same guide and it's updated!
software you need to install to play these files.

Playback Help Guide

If you have any comments, suggestions or questions about the Playback Help page, please post them in this thread.

LytHka and the AnimeSuki staff have their reasons for recommending the install of individual components rather than "just"
mentioning the CCCP codec pack. Please note that this thread is not meant to discuss the reason why we have taken this decision.

Last edited by NightWish; 2006-07-31 at 05:38.
Old 2005-12-18, 17:11   Link #2
LytHka
Banned

2005/12/14 update: IMPORTANT!

* ffdshow's registry information file was critically updated; killing the installation paths in it because some systems and ffdshow installed in other directories than C:\Program Files\ffdshow WOULD NOT BE EFFECTED by the registry file AT ALL! Thanks to TheFluff for reporting such a beginner's mistake which happened with the last update of the registry file. My fault.

* The 2005/12/08 version of ffdshow included from x264.nl.

* 2005/11/25 Haali's Matroska Splitter.
Old 2006-01-03, 14:18   Link #3
Mephisto2k
anime4life

untill recently i could watch everything with "vlc-player". It is a simple but good working media player that can play even currupted files. Then there was those H.264 and i was surprised it didnt work even with vlc. I downloaded ffdshow and spliter codecs and everything and still it didnt work.....
In the end i just downloaded the new version of vlc-player and it simply worked...
vlc *FTW*
If anybody has probs with h.264, just try downloading vlc player.
Old 2006-01-09, 00:11   Link #4
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephisto2k
untill recently i could watch everything with "vlc-player". It is a simple but good working media player that can play even currupted files. Then there was those H.264 and i was surprised it didnt work even with vlc. I downloaded ffdshow and spliter codecs and everything and still it didnt work.....
In the end i just downloaded the new version of vlc-player and it simply worked...
vlc *FTW*
If anybody has probs with h.264, just try downloading vlc player.
I use VLC as a last-resort player only. I prefer something like Media Player Classic or The Core Media Player for most of my playback needs. At least Media Player Classic handles custom stuff in softsubs better than VLC does (which is not at all). Or VSFilter if you're using any DS-compatible player.

Not to mention, VLC has some serious political problems ahead for it if it wants to continue being developed and hosted in France. Go check out VideoLAN's commentary about it for more information. However, I suppose development can be moved to a different country. Not to mention, the free-software-hostile bits of this law are being carefully scrutinzed by the French parliament, says VideoLAN's site.

In short, I don't consider VLC to be an end-all-and-be-all solution. The codecs are your best bet if you can swing it. I like VLC; I love open source software of any kind. However, I consider VLC to be more a stop-gap measure than anything else. I cannot consider it a normal day-in day-out player for the needs I have. Plus having everything built in isn't necessarily a benefit. None of this code can be reused by another app like DS can under Windows, or Xine's libraries or GStreamer + Win32 support under Unix.

--Ian.
Old 2006-02-16, 19:12   Link #5
sergelynx

Problems H.264 Windows Media Player 10

I tried to follow all the instructions to install the new ffdshow and the configuration settings , but to no avail i could not open my MS IGloo 2 file coded in H.264 format. It only playback the sound but not the video. Any idea what is the problem with the FFD show.I am using windows media player with a 1.5 ghz laptop.
Old 2006-03-12, 03:12   Link #6
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I genrally prefer using media player 2 as a standard media device for avi files . I use codec "6022 all in 1 , I also have Matroska_Pack_Full_v1.1.2 with divx 6 and xvideo 1.3.
Q1 Recently to some .ogm files this setting doesnt work but .mkv works just fine just watched Bleach 71 hellsubs .mkv
Q2 Whats the difference between Ogm, Mkv, Divx avi .Is there a converter software available to inter-convert these 3 formats ,
Q3 Need good Avi to real and real to avi format converter software any reccomendations
Old 2006-05-06, 18:58   Link #7
LoveOfAnime
~Lost in the Moonlight~

Send a message via MSN to LoveOfAnime Send a message via Yahoo to LoveOfAnime
Question

I could really really use some help. *Banging Head in Frustration* I have followed your Media user's guide to the letter and I am still unable to play MKV and H264 files at all.

I watch most of my anime in Winamp, it is my preferrred player. All of the AVI files play just fine, I cannot get the MKV or H264 files to play. The H264 and MKV will not play in Mediaplayer 9 either.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 2006-05-06, 20:10   Link #8
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Try a better media player? Winamp's good for playing music, but it doesn't play any other video than .AVI's without some tweaking, and even then it behaves rather weirdly. Try ZoomPlayer or Media Player Classic instead, both of those should work. If you use MPC, just make sure to uncheck those boxes that are mentioned in the playback guide, or you might run into trouble.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2006-05-06, 23:31   Link #9
LoveOfAnime
~Lost in the Moonlight~

Send a message via MSN to LoveOfAnime Send a message via Yahoo to LoveOfAnime
I got it...Thanks The Fluff,....

Last edited by LoveOfAnime; 2006-05-07 at 00:07. Reason: I figured it out....
Old 2006-05-10, 09:41   Link #10
TrannyFanboy

Send a message via AIM to TrannyFanboy
I'm so lost with this. I was a Winamp user as well, and I tried MPC and vlc player as well as the Haali Media Splitter, but nothing is working. I just want to watch my anime ;_; Can anyone help me, please?
Old 2006-05-11, 06:12   Link #11
LytHka
Banned

I've updated the guide a bit here. Perhaps you'll find it a bit more useful.

However, you should really educate yourself a bit how playing anime works. Basically, the player is there only to show the picture using a renderer. What actually opens the package of the video file is splitters (Haali's Splitter etc.) and the things in that package have to be decoded using filters. Those usually come with codecs or ffdshow.
Old 2006-05-13, 05:50   Link #12
Friday
Im shy too...

thank you very much~!!!!!!
I was unable to watch Roots w/o subtitles so I used a vsfilter-237 and it

WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you very much LytHka
Old 2006-06-03, 23:13   Link #13
Strangette

still trouble playing avi (yes,have codecs installed n read faq)

HI All,

I know this is such a newbie question, but I have all my video and audio codecs installed for playing mkv, and avi files. However, recently I've downloaded Love Generation (jdrama) and even though the bittorrent finished, I cannot play these avi files. They come with .srt files, but I don't see how that would affect playback.

Using Gspot, it says that I have 4 video compatiable codecs (it's xvid) and 3 compatible audio codecs installed. I don't have trouble playing other avi files that use these same codecs, etc. - so I don't know if I am missing something else that I haven't heard of?

What else could be causing my playback problem? Oh did I mention that it acts weird in WMP too. I mean the file will open, and it'll start playing (I can view the length) but it won't start... I just get a black screen, no matter if I fast forward to another section, the position won't move. I just don't get it *shrug* Never happened before, no audio or video, but the file is complete - I don't get any error messages from WMP saying it's incomplete or corrupted, etc.

Any ideas?
Old 2006-06-04, 04:07   Link #14
LytHka
Banned

I hope you know exactly what codecs you have installed, because right now, it sounds that your computer is in a mess.

Video needs only one codec (filter) to decode a specific video type. So, XviD only needs one filter for your video to play. It goes the same for the video's audio.

http://www.froth-bite.com/forums/ind...pic,991.0.html
http://www.rpguru.com/doc.php/help/playback.html

These two guides and CCCP (a swell codec pack) include ffdshow which has most of the filters for many types of video. First, try UNINSTALLING what codecs you can find, second, install the necessary filters listed in the guides including ffdshow and your file should play. Right now, I can't help you more than this since you weren't specific enough and I'm not even sure what "FAQ" you have read. Those files are indeed XviD, but do you have any problems playing your other video files, for example anime fansubs?

If you'll follow the guides or install CCCP after uninstalling everything, there shouldn't be any problem, but just in case, use the media player Media Player Classic (it's linked to in the guides and included in CCCP) and try to copy/paste the error log if the file won't open.
Old 2006-07-08, 10:02   Link #15
nattysammy

Using Winamp for .MKV

Hi, I recently downloaded an anime torrent which was in MKV format. The file has .ass and .srt subs contained in it.

I can play each episode fine using VLC player and am sure each of the players you reccomend would work equally well. However what I really want is to be able to use winamp to play these and other MKV files. This is because I have a pc remote control that will allow me to control winamp (though not other players like Haali's or Media Player Classic). I can get the video and audio to play in Winamp but not the sub tracks. If anyone knows how to access subs in Winamp, or if this is even possible then I would really appreciate your advice.

Cheers,
Sam.
Old 2006-07-08, 12:03   Link #16
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

http://www.cccp-project.net/wiki/ind...title=Winamp_5
(written for CCCP, but everything in it applies to the asuki playback guide as well)

I still don't recommend using Winamp for video playback, though. MPC has some remote-control stuff in it, you sure you can't use that?
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2006-07-08, 14:40   Link #17
nattysammy

TheFluff, thanks a million, you're a star. Everything works perfect now with winamp.

I can only use the software which I got with my remote/sensor to control a couple of set programs and MPC is not one of them. I guess it might be possible to download third party software for the remote, but I dont know about that.

Thanks,
Sam.
Old 2006-07-28, 08:35   Link #18
Toxic
Champion of Obscurity

Send a message via MSN to Toxic
I don't really agree with your little guide. VLC should be recommended for EVERYONE. Installing codecs is a bad idea, especially for gamers. Codecs can cause lots of trouble, especially with games like Oblivion. It can cause crashes, stuttering and alot more. VLC is also much more simple to use, as you don't have to download any huge, problematic codec packs, which means it's newbie friendly.
Old 2006-07-28, 08:51   Link #19
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic
I don't really agree with your little guide. VLC should be recommended for EVERYONE. Installing codecs is a bad idea, especially for gamers. Codecs can cause lots of trouble, especially with games like Oblivion. It can cause crashes, stuttering and alot more. VLC is also much more simple to use, as you don't have to download any huge, problematic codec packs, which means it's newbie friendly.
VLC only works best for the hardsubbed materials. More and more groups are using softsubs, and VLC's softsub support is far from being good yet, unless you get some SSA/ASS patch and compile it yourself. (Or you get ahold of one of those unofficial buildes.) So it shouldn't be recommended for everyone. It should only be recommended to gamers who only watch hardsubs.
Old 2006-07-28, 08:58   Link #20
Toxic
Champion of Obscurity

Send a message via MSN to Toxic
Softsubs work just fine for me. And I think people would prefer NOT having software that ruins their games.