Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-11-09, 06:30   Link #1
wrook

Easy to watch classics

Hi guys!

I've been in Japan for the last 3 months and I've just started to have some time to watch Anime. My Japanese is pretty much entrenched in the intermediate stage (somewhere in the depths of JLPT 2).

I'm looking for suggestions on great anime that I can rent from the video store here. It has a pretty good selection, so pretty much anything that's out on video is OK (although I was upset to find that they only have the Inu Yasha movies and no TV).

The biggest thing for me is to find stuff that isn't too hard (i.e. even though I really want to watch Evangelion in Japanese, it's just beyond me...)

Stuff I've enjoyed in the past: Fruits Basket, Mahoraba, Karin, Samurai 7, Naruto, Dragon Ball (but not so much Z or GT), Dears, REC.

I like happy endings. I like nice love stories. I like cute girls. But really, I'm not constrained by genre. The lower the language level the better...

Thanks in advance!
Old 2007-11-09, 07:38   Link #2
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

A lot of the series aimed at younger audiences, as opposed to more mature (including scientific/technical etc) series should be fine. Doesn't mean you should go watching a bunch of kids stuff, but you should, in general, steer away from the more... complex series.

Naruto is a fairly good example you list. Fairly simple language, other than jutsu names. Same would go for Inuyasha, Bleach, One Piece and most long running fighting series.

Stuff on a similar level to Fruits Basket (slightly marginally mature harem) would be Love Hina, and Ai Yori Aoshi. DearS, while on the more ecchi side, is probably still quite similar... but you could try Midori no Hibi, Chobits, Ah My Goddess.

Could shift back to the great comedies like Azumanga Daioh and Ichigo Mashimaro; cute girls doing cute stuff. ^_^ Language level is fairly simple in them, I think. You could include Lovely Complex for a school oriented romance, though I'm not sure how comfortable you are with kansai-ben, which can throw a lot of foreigners even when they have a reasonable grounding in standard Japanese. Also fairly new, not sure if all the DVDs are available yet.

Samurai 7... that's a hard one to compare anything to. At least while retaining a more simplified language level. Samurai Champloo, maybe, though I seem to recall it having some heavier dialogue. Or series on the mecha side of Samurai 7, would probably be getting too technical. I'm sure others will have some decent suggestions, though!
Old 2007-11-09, 07:46   Link #3
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Touch is one of the best classics out there. Also adachi's best work imo. It's baseball and romance mixed together. With some heavy drama at the middle. It's all set in our time. With normal conversations. So it should be a good one.
Old 2007-11-10, 08:50   Link #4
digitals05

naruto its seem can be classic in future..
Old 2007-11-10, 15:48   Link #5
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I'll recommend Love Hina and Cardcaptor Sakura for classics. They both fit the cute girl/nice love story criteria.
Old 2007-11-10, 18:11   Link #6
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Come to think of it, pretty much any CLAMP story should be fairly easy to watch, generally not much complex language in them... X and xXxHOLiC may be a bit too much at times, but I think anything else should be fine (CCS, Chobits, Angelic Layer, Tsubasa etc).
Old 2007-11-10, 18:28   Link #7
7Th
Mixtape

Future Boy Conan, may be a kids' show but it's an awesome classic kids' show.
Old 2007-11-10, 23:49   Link #8
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
If you love classics, then you should watch Record Of Lodoss Wars OVAs. Greatest Fantasy anime of all time.

Happy Ending, decent love story, and a cute elf. Record breaking opening, not really but it's really nice.

The effects are sorta dull because it's old, but other than that, it's a good anime to pick up and watch, since it's only 13 episodes.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2007-11-11, 06:43   Link #9
wrook

Thanks guys! That gives me quite a lot to look at.

I actually forgot to mention that I have seen Touch -- In fact it's my personal favorite anime of all time... Not sure how I forgot it

I'll wander down to the video store tomorrow and see what they've got. Thanks again!!!
Old 2007-11-12, 09:14   Link #10
miaka

kimagure orange road - classic romance anime
maison ikkoku - Takahashi Rumiko's work with proper ending, but a long series.
Old 2007-11-18, 08:05   Link #11
wrook

I thought I would do a quick update. I ended up picking up a series that no-one mentioned, but that fits the bill perfectly: AA Megami Sama (Ah! My Goddess). Very easy to understand (they all talk *really* slowly), cute girls, love story...

Thanks again for all the replies. I will eventually try to see everything.
Old 2007-11-18, 08:48   Link #12
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrook View Post
I thought I would do a quick update. I ended up picking up a series that no-one mentioned, but that fits the bill perfectly: AA Megami Sama (Ah! My Goddess). Very easy to understand (they all talk *really* slowly), cute girls, love story...

Thanks again for all the replies. I will eventually try to see everything.
I did mention that, actually, as it came to mind as one that would be an easy watch. Glad you've found it good. Some others I mentioned (particularly Ai Yori) would be pretty comparable.
Closed Thread