Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-04-05, 11:59   Link #101
Aidan
Am I bad? Yes... Very X(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Macross Zero is probably the closest you can get for a mech pilot with G-suit
ah.. Macross, I won't open that can of worms, but I generally like what they do. It's funny but I seem Macross more as a jet fighter series than a Mecha series. I know it's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^
I thought that list was a joke.
That would be good news.
Aidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 12:07   Link #102
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
That would be good news.
Sorry to break your bubbles, but it's real. It's listed in the main Heroic Age website.

Frankly, I don't really see what's so bad about the 12 Labours. True, it opens up some pretty cliche possibilities like "human with god's power who fought for the good of humanity, but in the end is still discarded for not being normal" twist, or "love a person, but cannot love due to reasons", "fighting against your own kind", etc but in the context of what they're trying to go at, it doesn't sound all that bad.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 12:14   Link #103
Aidan
Am I bad? Yes... Very X(

That's sad, as 5 out of the 12 are more like contractual conditions instead of labors.
Aidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 16:26   Link #104
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Age's henshin looks more like a monster than a mecha.... i wonder how they are gonna launch him into combat? Sling shot him into space?
Hm...that makes me wonder... is he piloting the mecha, or does his body transform in to that "mecha" ?

Spoiler:

I think it might be the later.
Old 2007-04-05, 16:50   Link #105
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Just checked out the first episode i was really impressed with the visuals. Im still not sure about the story yet but so far things look promising. The way certain races that have entered a certain stage in the universe are descibed as tribes sat very well with me. Its interesting after watching the episode i kept thinking i had heard of something similar to this before and it hit me today. Certain aspects story so far like an ultimate race that was the oldest and risen above all other. and other younger races were like children reminded me of a Sci Fi series called Babylon 5. Theres quite a bit of similarity between them.

Over all im looking forward to more i hope the story is unique and not just a mech series. But i like what i see so far
Old 2007-04-05, 16:54   Link #106
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Hm...that makes me wonder... is he piloting the mecha, or does his body transform in to that "mecha" ?

Spoiler:

I think it might be the later.
I think a better example would be:

Age is Bruce Banner and the "mecha" is the Incredible Hulk.

So the moral is: Don't let Age get angry!

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 16:57   Link #107
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Just checked out the first episode i was really impressed with the visuals. Im still not sure about the story yet but so far things look promising. The way certain races that have entered a certain stage in the universe are descibed as tribes sat very well with me. Its interesting after watching the episode i kept thinking i had heard of something similar to this before and it hit me today. Certain aspects story so far like an ultimate race that was the oldest and risen above all other. and other younger races were like children reminded me of a Sci Fi series called Babylon 5. Theres quite a bit of similarity between them.

Over all im looking forward to more i hope the story is unique and not just a mech series. But i like what i see so far
However the Silver Tribe is more like the Protess and the Bronze is more like the Zerg. And well Humans are Humans
Old 2007-04-05, 17:03   Link #108
jedinat

On the AniDB image the protagonist looks like a scantily clad girl.
I was heartbroken when I found out differently while watching the first episode.
I didn't even finish watching it, and it will be a while before I give the show another chance.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 17:31   Link #109
sazan fan

Quote:
On the AniDB image the protagonist looks like a scantily clad girl.
I was heartbroken when I found out differently while watching the first episode.
I didn't even finish watching it, and it will be a while before I give the show another chance.
Today 17:57
Umm... Ok... Well, just take a look at the sig above you and that should cheer you up.
sazan fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 20:11   Link #110
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoHell View Post
Dang, just watched the 1st episode, good animation, story line is a little eh since we don't know much about it yet. In some ways it kind of reminds me of Utawarerumono, ........
Dude. Not everyone has seen Utawarerumono!!!!

I have, but you're spoiling the story for alot of people!

Negative reps to all of you spoiling it!
Old 2007-04-05, 20:36   Link #111
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Bah, if you haven't seen Utawarerumono by now, you haven't really missed much, except excessive wastes of potential.

Ep 1.

Yaaawwn. Ok, the animation was good, but the rest was boring as all hell. Never mind the generic character designs, the worst thing about the characters so far are the generic personalities attached to them. As mentioned by other people, blonde princess, bearded captain, scraggly Tarzan dude with optimistic attitude... cliches left, right and center. Actually, scraggly Tarzan dude could have been one of the more interesting characters purely out of his bizarre interactions with the ship, but then he had to go super saiyan 3 and become a giant mecha with godlike powers. The godlike powers will inevitably kill this series for obvious reasons. I mean, how can it be interesting if there's no way he can die.

Early days yet, obviously, but I'd be very very surprised if this show didn't suck. If it had a more interesting cast, there'd be promise, but it looks like it's going to be generic space adventures with a group of one-dimensional characters.

This is why I usually avoid this genre...
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 20:50   Link #112
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

If one watched the first episode of Kanon or any other well-liked bishoujo anime, it'd be just as easy to dismiss all the characters as one-note cliches. It has nothing to do with genre.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 21:49   Link #113
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

It does. If this so chose, it could be non-stop action with zero character development and still find an audience. It's not dissimilar to harem shows having non-stop fanservice with zero character development. And, admittedly, it doesn't matter if the characters are one-dimensional or not to begin with, it's what happens to them throughout the series that matters. Even characters that are really interesting to begin with (like half the cast from Utawarerumono) can be wasted by a lack of character development.

The cliched characters aren't anymore than an indicator from which I can speculate. I made the same speculation with Higurashi after the first ep, ie, that one-dimensional characters would kill it too, but I turned out to be wrong on that one. But, that's a rare case. More often than not, there needs to be interesting characters in the first episode for the show to build on, else it has its work cut out for the rest of the series to make them interesting somehow. It's easier for a series in a position like this to just be an inane popcorn show, and if that's the path this show goes down... well, I'd be disappointed, but I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 2007-04-05, 22:01   Link #114
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

It depends heavily on perception. We get stuff like background trivia, interviews, and stuff in the websites of animes to get the general gist of what we're looking for and also what that particular anime hopes to achieve. I mean, seriously, anyone who's watching Legend of Galactic Heroes, another epic sci-fi story with intents of looking for kick-ass action scenes and comedy will be sourly dissapointed. I'm willing to bet no one watching Gurren-Lagann is expecting it to turn out more than a One Piece-ish adventure story across the barren lands with quirky fun characters, exciting vibrant lush direction and fun comedy.

And true, I'll agree that Heroic Age as well as technically every other anime, can be uninteresting depending on the route they're going for the characters. Didn't everyone started off calling RahXephon and Fafner Eva clones with shitty emo characters as well?

Looking at the minor background trivias...I can't say much for the characters like the Princess and stuff, but at least, Heroic Age seems to promise that the main character in the least would be going through a lot. Way more than what Hercules and Tarzan went through, that's for sure.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 22:02   Link #115
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
It does. If this so chose, it could be non-stop action with zero character development and still find an audience. It's not dissimilar to harem shows having non-stop fanservice with zero character development. And, admittedly, it doesn't matter if the characters are one-dimensional or not to begin with, it's what happens to them throughout the series that matters. Even characters that are really interesting to begin with (like half the cast from Utawarerumono) can be wasted by a lack of character development.

The cliched characters aren't anymore than an indicator from which I can speculate. I made the same speculation with Higurashi after the first ep, ie, that one-dimensional characters would kill it too, but I turned out to be wrong on that one. But, that's a rare case. More often than not, there needs to be interesting characters in the first episode for the show to build on, else it has its work cut out for the rest of the series to make them interesting somehow. It's easier for a series in a position like this to just be an inane popcorn show, and if that's the path this show goes down... well, I'd be disappointed, but I wouldn't be surprised.
You should go try Maison Ikkoku. It's not the best, it's not the most recent, and it's not all that, but it's filled with two characters that sincerely progress slowly through a 96-episode series. Frankly, I took that, and I already cried once.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 22:05   Link #116
AvianWing
lol whut?

Send a message via MSN to AvianWing
woah, hold your horses. It is the first episode. Of course, the story has to start with a bang to captivate the audience. More than anything, this demonstrates that this is a high budget project and has its potentials. It's like dangling a candy-- in this case, an eye candy-- to all the mech fans out there. It is clearly establishing its genre.

I agree that the characters are cliche'd, but it's about time. Reverse discrimination has been going on for a fairly long time that all the significant captains are pretty much unfit for the job (female w/ romantic issues, child to teenage geniuses). I mean, come on.
AvianWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 22:12   Link #117
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

How cliche is a Tarzan main character in anime? I don't remember seeing any recent anime with that.
Old 2007-04-05, 22:31   Link #118
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
You should go try Maison Ikkoku. It's not the best, it's not the most recent, and it's not all that, but it's filled with two characters that sincerely progress slowly through a 96-episode series. Frankly, I took that, and I already cried once.
In the middle of watching that at the moment, actually. And, it's really an outstanding series, character-wise.
Old 2007-04-06, 00:13   Link #119
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
In the middle of watching that at the moment, actually. And, it's really an outstanding series, character-wise.
One of the best character driven anime I've ever had the pleasure of seeing, and a top 10 all time for me. It doesn't disappoint, all the way to the end.
Old 2007-04-06, 01:34   Link #120
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

And I thought I was going to get flamed for suggesting a 20-year old series . . .

Scratch that. Although there's the clutter with the side characters (and their apathy and just plain evil > ), the dynamic between Kyoko and Godai is one of the best in any anime series I've seen. And the themes of patience whilst waiting for the one true love still remains as fresh as ever. Yeah, it's a great show. There are few shows that can make me cry, and those that do I often (if not all of the time) classify as great (e.g. Honey and Clover, Shingetsutan Tsukihime, Cowboy Bebop). But going back to topic . . .

This series is like Starcraft. :V
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, science fiction