AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2010-04-16, 23:14   Link #24421
Byrnbot08
Lvl 45 Human Lurker

Send a message via MSN to Byrnbot08
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoEevee View Post

Spoiler for Dark Nanoha(?):

^The best I could find with a google image search. xD; Along with some Chuck Norris Jokes-style stuff from the early posts in the Humor thread. From my research, she's apparantly from a doujinshi series.

Buuut I could work with Material-S if need be. I'll probably be... tweaking her origins a bit, though. -w-
WOAH. Evil never looked so... cute. Kinda reminds me of Vita.

More rules for sanity personnel safety in RF6

Spoiler for Rules for survival in RF6:
Byrnbot08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 00:21   Link #24422
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoEevee View Post
Indeed. ^w^

*runs off to draw Dark Nanoha for future reference*

By the way, I think I'll give my Dark Nanoha a different name. Any suggestions? Bonus points if they mean something symbolic. Bonus bonus points if they sound similar to "Nanoha."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satashi View Post
Manoha, for great justice!
I'd have suggested Nanohana, but hell, Satashi's idea is better.
Old 2010-04-17, 00:49   Link #24423
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Manoha would be for the Rule 63 version, though

How about Ahonan

Last edited by 00-Raiser; 2010-04-17 at 01:16.
00-Raiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 00:57   Link #24424
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satashi View Post
Manoha, for great justice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
Manoha would be for the Rule 64 version, though

How about Ahonan
To quote a certain darkness youkai...

IS

THAT

SO?

Manoha exists, and he is at Otakon.
Old 2010-04-17, 01:02   Link #24425
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

not epic like mannosuke ... still interesting to look at thou. needs gundam box somehow imo.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 01:15   Link #24426
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Manoha would be for the Rule 63 version, though

How about Ahonan
Fixed for great justice!

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 10:22   Link #24427
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Why not call her "Kuro"? Or "Kuroe"? Kind of a play on the Japanese word for black, heh. Or you could always call her Yami, for darkness.
Old 2010-04-17, 11:15   Link #24428
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Why not call her "Kuro"? Or "Kuroe"? Kind of a play on the Japanese word for black, heh. Or you could always call her Yami, for darkness.
Yami only makes me think of yu-gi-oh >_>

I like Ahonan, everyone knows your evil twin has to be your name backwards, and have a mustache.

Last edited by TheShinySword; 2010-04-17 at 11:50.
TheShinySword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 11:52   Link #24429
yuiseppe
Cute things, sharp teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Kuro is also (apparently) a common name given to dogs
yuiseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 12:23   Link #24430
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShinySword View Post

I like Ahonan, everyone knows your evil twin has to be your name backwards, and have a mustache.
Alternatively, Yami only makes me think of To Love Ru because I can't stand YGO!.

And wow, now I'm picturing Material S with a evil twin mustache. Thanks Shiny. That's going to be stuck in my head for the rest of the day. =X
Old 2010-04-17, 13:26   Link #24431
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
And wow, now I'm picturing Material S with a evil twin mustache. Thanks Shiny. That's going to be stuck in my head for the rest of the day. =X
I'm imagining Nanoha ala a villain from one of those old timey movies. Top hat, twirly mustache, black cape, tieing Fate to the rail road tracks while a train comes in. Hmmm... I wonder who should be the hero to save her.
Old 2010-04-17, 13:38   Link #24432
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:

I'm having trouble taking a character with the word 'idiot' in the name seriously though.

Names, names, names.... Gyousei? Taikyo? I can probably come up with something better if I know what you're going to do with her origins.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 13:41   Link #24433
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
I'm having trouble taking a character with the word 'idiot' in the name seriously though.
It could work, though, if it was a comedy-based fic. Especially since only Nanoha and Hayate would get the joke (since it's a Japanese-language pun).
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 13:43   Link #24434
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Well yeah, but if it's a comedy story there's no need to take the character seriously in the first place.

Kinda reminds me of the tea-joke in S1.
Old 2010-04-17, 14:01   Link #24435
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Well yeah, but if it's a comedy story there's no need to take the character seriously in the first place.

Kinda reminds me of the tea-joke in S1.
True. (I'll be honest, though--"evil twin" definitely makes me think "humor" more than "serious plotline"; one of those things where even though the character takes herself seriously (and *is* serious), the events that happen around her keep nerfing the drama. Actually, kind of like Einhart, if you think about it. )

Last edited by DezoPenguin; 2010-04-17 at 14:02. Reason: Yes, I can spell. Really. I promise.
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 14:32   Link #24436
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
Quote:
I'm imagining Nanoha ala a villain from one of those old timey movies. Top hat, twirly mustache, black cape, tieing Fate to the rail road tracks while a train comes in. Hmmm... I wonder who should be the hero to save her.
I don't remember the context but sometime ago I drew scribbled this
Spoiler for this:

Looks like Nanoha isn't the only one with an old timey evil twin.

Also I'm not sure why the name can only be Japanese, evil Nanoha doesn't necessarily have to be Japanese, does she? It's hard to make puns in a language you're not familiar with. That's why I think Evil Nanoha should be named Jane, or alternatively Jill.
TheShinySword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 14:49   Link #24437
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Which is why I asked what NeoEev was planning with her background. More range that way.
Old 2010-04-17, 16:08   Link #24438
kaname08
Poetic Stargazer

Quote:
I don't remember the context but sometime ago I drew scribbled this
Spoiler for this:

Looks like Nanoha isn't the only one with an old timey evil twin.

Also I'm not sure why the name can only be Japanese, evil Nanoha doesn't necessarily have to be Japanese, does she? It's hard to make puns in a language you're not familiar with. That's why I think Evil Nanoha should be named Jane, or alternatively Jill.
Speaking of names, this question has always been buzzing around in my head for quite a bit but...has anyone noticed that when it comes to trying to name characters for something (whether it'd be for manga, anime, fanfics, etc.) that authors / writers (including myself) have an odd tendency to re-cycle names whenever we try to come up with a character?

Also...since I'm sure there will be a time where nothing is considered "original" anymore (possibly), I've been wondering...why do writers or any creative person sometimes repeat re-occurring themes? What do you guys think?

The reason why I brought this up is that there are times I come up with strange names that would almost have no meaning or sense whatsoever, yet I feel that it's sometimes necessary to try and create some diversity. (Not an easy thing to do as I'm sure most of you have already known).
kaname08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 16:26   Link #24439
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaname08 View Post
Speaking of names, this question has always been buzzing around in my head for quite a bit but...has anyone noticed that when it comes to trying to name characters for something (whether it'd be for manga, anime, fanfics, etc.) that authors / writers (including myself) have an odd tendency to re-cycle names whenever we try to come up with a character?
Because only so many names exist in the world. When thinking up characters unless you want to spend hours searching for names it's easier to use a name that you hear more commonly. At least you know that those are actual names and it won't be weird that some one is called that.

Of course there are series that have really unique names you never hear used by anyone else, most notably Gundam. Char Aznable? Garrod Ran? Gym Ghingnham? Athrun Zala? Really, I wonder where the creators come up with some of these

Well, in terms of Nanoha fanfiction, since the setting has moved to Mid Childa the rule of thumb is to use car names for OCs. People like me who know nothing about cars usually choose from more well known models and companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaname08 View Post
Also...since I'm sure there will be a time where nothing is considered "original" anymore (possibly), I've been wondering...why do writers or any creative person sometimes repeat re-occurring themes? What do you guys think?
That time is now so far as I'm concerned. No individual ideas are original anymore, instead it's all about how you combine those ideas together. Repeats of themes sometimes stem from seeing other people do it and you deciding you want to give it a try. For example, I read Satashi's Hayate/Yuuno stuff so I wanted to write my own take on that pairing.

Page claim for Hayate/Yuuno!
Old 2010-04-17, 16:54   Link #24440
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Names can be the most difficult thing for some writers, and sometimes for them picking a common name is already a feat.

For Nanoha... well, car names is a theme. But even there you can be creative. For example, one of my own Nanoha characters, a lightning user, is called Tesla. This is both the Tesla as in 'Tesla coil' as well as the Tesla Roadster. A double wink to both her lightning powers and a car.

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha