AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-27, 18:38   Link #1841
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bob-ce...b_2018663.html

This article lays it out for people who aren't in the know (the GOP doing a bunch of fillibusters and the whole 'make Obama a one-term president' thing). Nothing new to most people here, but it is good to see that article on the news pages for AOL and AOL Instant Messenger.

I read most of the comments on the first page, and nearly everyone was in the right (knew about these things, condemning the GOP for it), but I read one comment where a guy basically said "Obama hasn't been trying to work with the republican party since day one and anyone who doesn't think so is misinformed; Obama has a plan to destroy America and blame it on the republicans (yes, he said that!). I mean, damn, I was gonna respond, but decided not to. But really, how could he say that and say the other people commenting were the ones misinformed? It is just crazy, he says that and says others are misinformed, and really, what you have is that the GOP have steered America down a path of doom for the last four years and blamed it on Obama and the democrats. I mean, the guy who left that comment is living in a bizarro world.
Old 2012-10-27, 18:44   Link #1842
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Just a glimpse of two utterly different realities, one based in some regard for actual events - the other completely based in ideology with the "facts" created to fit the ideology.

And yes, this *can* happen no matter what end of the political spectrum you're on (I have 'left' relatives who are on the tin foil hat ride in regard to conspiracies, vaccines, electrical fields, and other modern 'demons'). But right now the biggest reality distortion bubble is with significant fraction of those who might vote GOP.
Old 2012-10-27, 18:51   Link #1843
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Just a glimpse of two utterly different realities, one based in some regard for actual events - the other completely based in ideology with the "facts" created to fit the ideology.

And yes, this *can* happen no matter what end of the political spectrum you're on (I have 'left' relatives who are on the tin foil hat ride in regard to conspiracies, vaccines, electrical fields, and other modern 'demons'). But right now the biggest reality distortion bubble is with significant fraction of those who might vote GOP.
With regards to the bolded part, I think I can understand why with you around; you actually help work on the conspiracies didn't you?

To be serious, I think that it isn't that the people don't live in "two different bubbles", it could be just that people are being paid to write this kind of stuff to sway the opposition and create doubt, but with the GOP messing themselves up royally, these people just got sick, turning to just simply write something lame, take the money and run.

Reuters and Marketwatch have plenty of these kind of comments. And with the way they write, I sometimes wonder if these writers, hired or not, are equally lunatic as their idols/employers.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-10-27, 18:52   Link #1844
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
*peeps from under the 'non-Western' rock.

Is it over yet? I hear peeps have already voted way in advance so it's decided right?
No high chances of cheating or votes being rigged again, right?

Early voting: Is the election already decided?

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2012-10-27, 19:22   Link #1845
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
*peeps from under the 'non-Western' rock.

Is it over yet? I hear peeps have already voted way in advance so it's decided right?
No high chances of cheating or votes being rigged again, right?

Early voting: Is the election already decided?
tl;dr, what are the results of the early voting?
Old 2012-10-27, 19:37   Link #1846
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

I read a lot of stuff since yesterday. Apparently, Obama looks to be in contention to win the election on electoral votes. HOWEVER, those stupid polls keep saying Romney is ahead on popular vote. Can somebody tell me what's the mindset in the US right now? When you look at how Romney got battered in the debates, changed opinions in several subject matters and also that his own men came up with all that crap about abortion/rape, how would that be possible that popular vote goes Romney's way?

For the record, Bill Clinton had to climb his way with solid stuff in order to throw down George Bush. I don't think Romney has anything as appealing and comparable to what Clinton had when the task was to defeat a President, who's trying to be re-elected.
Old 2012-10-27, 19:39   Link #1847
GundamFan0083

Not that it matters...but for those of you still playing "Team Jacob (Democrat Dogs) verses Team Edward (Republican Bloodsuckers)" here's something for you.

Gallup: Obama's Job Approval Drops 7 Points in 3 Days
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/gall...-points-3-days
Old 2012-10-27, 19:41   Link #1848
GDB

Speaking of early voting... that's going to be extremely important this year. What with the hurricane coming in that threatens to knock out power for much of the north east for weeks.
Old 2012-10-27, 19:43   Link #1849
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

To some degree, it comes down to stubbornness, low-information voters, misinformed voters, race (black guy in the white house, o the horror), religion ("muslim" in the WH, think of the fetus, da gey).

It has been joked that the US is sort of a third world country (regressive views in much of the country) with shiny magic toys and a powerful army. Not entirely a joke.

It will be interesting to watch how the fading demographic the 'zealot' GOP represents will handle their marginalization over the next 10 years. The GOP has lost their chance with the Latinos (normally a rather conservative group) and other non-white demographics.

See, I largely agree with GundamFan0083 on the corporatist hijacking of both parties ... but I still think there's a substantive difference on social/rights issues. The GOP has a large contingent that believes in class and the privilege of class (southern aristocracy, etc) and a narrow religious theocracy. The Dems were able to throw that lot out in '64 over the Civil Rights Act. They migrated to the GOP and have been festering there for 50 years.
Old 2012-10-27, 20:10   Link #1850
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
Not that it matters...but for those of you still playing "Team Jacob (Democrat Dogs) verses Team Edward (Republican Bloodsuckers)" here's something for you.

I wonder why, when you have 24/7 "coverage" from FOX and other conservative mouthpieces hammering away at every and any possibility that Obama is somehow conspiring to win the election through Benghazi. It's gotten so bad lately that even Colbert had to lampoon it.

I won't defend Obama's record too much, and I sure as heck don't like our current political system or climate, but it does no one any good to be constantly spouting off all of this misinformation. FOX and other information sources seem to think they're somehow saving the Republic from "the evils of liberalism", but in reality they're corrupting it with witch hunts and red herrings. Whatever truth may exist out there is corrupted with sensationalism and manipulation.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating: there is no way Romney should be this close to winning. That he is speaks so much about money in politics, how poorly the media is doing their jobs, and how little the average American actually researches information or truly cares about what is going on outside their bubble. It speaks so much about why people are truly suffering, and it all boils down to their own ignorance, greed, and stupidity.
Old 2012-10-27, 20:28   Link #1851
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post

We all know Jacob is hotter!

ok, I've never watched Twilight, I swear!
Old 2012-10-27, 21:23   Link #1852
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

In Florida, black churches scramble to get early voters to polls
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...89Q0D720121027
Quote:
Errol Thompson, a Baptist pastor in Orlando's black community, acknowledges that the excitement over Barack Obama becoming the first black U.S. president has cooled.

But with the Democratic president locked in a tight race against Republican challenger Mitt Romney, Thompson still expects voter turnout in Florida for the November 6 election to be equal to or greater than it was four years ago.

To make sure of that, he and other black church leaders across Florida are organizing a mass effort, dubbed "Souls to the Polls," to get thousands of people in their flock to vote early - right after Sunday's morning service.

This weekend's voting drive carries special importance as it is the only Sunday included in the state's truncated early voting period - which begins on Saturday - after it was cut this year from 14 to eight days.

Legislators eliminated voting on the last Sunday before the election, the day black churches traditionally mobilized in a final push to get voters to the polls.
Old 2012-10-27, 21:55   Link #1853
Dr. Casey

Since this thread has been almost completely devoid of Mitt Romney support for its entire duration, I'll just say that I have faith in Romney no matter what anyone else says. I have faith that he's a good person and, if elected, will be a good president.

That is all, thanks for reading.
Old 2012-10-27, 22:14   Link #1854
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Since this thread has been almost completely devoid of Mitt Romney support for its entire duration, I'll just say that I have faith in Romney no matter what anyone else says. I have faith that he's a good person and, if elected, will be a good president.

I'll actually be warily "okay" as long as at least either the Senate or the House stay Democrat. My gut feel is that Romney has some similarities to Clinton. After the '94 election, Clinton swung center-right to work with the Republicans. Of course, that got us NAFTA and the Glass-Steagel repeal but it also meant the basic business of budgeting got done.

A split congress makes it less likely the social wingnuts will get their way. Downside is I feel like we're basically toast for Supreme Court appointments unless Romney can shake off the extremists and move center.
Old 2012-10-27, 22:40   Link #1855
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
To some degree, it comes down to stubbornness, low-information voters, misinformed voters, race (black guy in the white house, o the horror), religion ("muslim" in the WH, think of the fetus, da gey).

It has been joked that the US is sort of a third world country (regressive views in much of the country) with shiny magic toys and a powerful army. Not entirely a joke.
Such a shame that a country such as this could have so many elements like this influencing votes. When you look at the 2008 primaries, people could already see big odds that the new President would eiher be a black man or a woman, both carrying ideas for the 21st Century. I really hoped that people would start throwing regressive views into the garbage bin after that.

I guess we're not far from the truth when using the metaphor about the mentality of a third world country instead of rising above everyone as a center for modern ideas. Harold and Kumar movies sure depicted very well (although in a funny way) what the hell is going wrong in the American society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I've said it before, but it bears repeating: there is no way Romney should be this close to winning. That he is speaks so much about money in politics, how poorly the media is doing their jobs, and how little the average American actually researches information or truly cares about what is going on outside their bubble. It speaks so much about why people are truly suffering, and it all boils down to their own ignorance, greed, and stupidity.
This. With the gaffes piling up in sandwiches, there should be no way that Romney and his men should be this close to winning on any ground. Something has to be done in a more serious fashion in order to eliminate such levels of ignorance and stupidity. In this day and age, ignorance and stupidity should NEVER be an excuse when internet, satellite communications and other forms of quick information tools exist.

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2012-10-27 at 23:24.
Old 2012-10-27, 23:05   Link #1856
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:

Faith based on what exactly, because as far as I've been able to tell the man is a flip flopper with no clear position on any issue and whose sole goal is to get into office and then figure out what to do based on what his advisors who are almost certainly going to be Bush Administration style selections by powerful interests tell him to do. The man has outright stated that he does not care what the 47% of the people in the country who won't vote for him are concerned about and it's almost no secret at this point where the Republican parties loyalties lie.

He may be a decent family man in his private life or whatever and have some values there, but the Republican party is all about towing the line and they aren't going to allow the man a single independent thought if he gets into office. It's nice and all to have faith in people, but let's not be naive here. Like Vexx in that scenario where Romney becomes president I would be placing more of my faith in the Democrats in Congress to do damage control by vetting the brutally bad policy before I trust someone from a party that simply does not serve the common interest of 250 million plus people and has proven it time and time again through it's voting record. Remember it's one thing to begrudge a man personally and another to begrudge him for his politics and in this case what you're seeing in the thread is almost assuredly based on the latter.
Old 2012-10-27, 23:15   Link #1857
Dr. Casey

Yeah... I think the "There is NO excuse for ignorance in this day and age " rhetoric is unreasonable. It's true that some people are inexcusably ignorant (Like the many people who don't even recognize Joe Biden in photographs), but people shouldn't be blamed for watching the 'wrong' news stations or reading the 'wrong' websites. They make judgments based on the information that's given to them. If that information is wrong and the resulting judgment is therefore erroneous, the blame should fall upon whoever spread the lie or the misinformation in the first place. Sorry if it's such a terrible thing to not be aware of the 'proper' news sources in a world that's oversaturated with such things these days (Thanks to there being dozens of news stations and thousands of websites to select from), but people shouldn't be accused of being lazy and uncaring of important issues just because they haven't been able to successfully traverse the maze that is the political and media world and find the most reliable sources like you two (supposedly) have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I'll actually be warily "okay" as long as at least either the Senate or the House stay Democrat. My gut feel is that Romney has some similarities to Clinton. After the '94 election, Clinton swung center-right to work with the Republicans. Of course, that got us NAFTA and the Glass-Steagel repeal but it also meant the basic business of budgeting got done.

A split congress makes it less likely the social wingnuts will get their way. Downside is I feel like we're basically toast for Supreme Court appointments unless Romney can shake off the extremists and move center.
I have mixed feelings on Romney's policies. I hate Christababble, I hate the idea of using religion to justify something that by any other barometer of morality would be considered wrong (such as banning gay marriage). But... between stories like shutting down work and personally leaving to search for his co-worker's missing child, or offering to pay for the college of that one family at Christmas, leave me with little doubt that he is a goodhearted person. No amount of flip-flopping will change that. I have no problem with people bashing his political ideas, but nobody can convince me that he isn't a kind and generous person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_sama
The man has outright stated that he does not care what the 47% of the people in the country who won't vote for him are concerned about and it's almost no secret at this point where the Republican parties loyalties lie.
My computer is being painfully slow right now, so I don't think I can Google for information right now without wanting to punch out my monitor; though I do remember reading that some dialogue was edited out from the video to make him look worse.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that and just say that I left my post vague for a reason. I wanted to voice a bit of support towards Romney because this thread has been so overwhelming anti-Romney its entire run. I wasn't looking for a debate, and have no desire to participate in one (and I was hoping that nobody would try to bait me into one). Sorry.
Old 2012-10-27, 23:24   Link #1858
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:

Anyway, I'll leave it at that and just say that I left my post vague for a reason. I wanted to voice a bit of support towards Romney because this thread has been so overwhelming anti-Romney its entire run. I wasn't looking for a debate, and have no desire to participate in one (and I was hoping that nobody would try to bait me into one). Sorry.
I want to make it clear that I'm not actually all that anti-Romney (to be anti-Romney specifically I'd have to have at least some understanding of where he actually stands as an individual), I'm just anti-bad policy towards the already disadvantaged which is basically what the Republican party has come to stand for to me. Honestly unlike Santorum or Gingrich and the like though I think on some level Romney is actually a functional human being with a beating heart and that there's a clear reason why the Republican party choose him as their candidate this election because he's actually somewhat presentable to the public, but I also thinks there's a reason why this thread is so anti-Romney or rather anti-Republican as I've come to see it.
Old 2012-10-27, 23:30   Link #1859
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I want to make it clear that I'm not actually all that anti-Romney (to be anti-Romney specifically I'd have to have at least some understanding of where he actually stands as an individual), I'm just anti-bad policy towards the already disadvantaged which is basically what the Republican party has come to stand for to me. Honestly unlike Santorum or Gingrich and the like though I think on some level Romney is actually a functional human being with a beating heart and that there's a clear reason why the Republican party choose him as their candidate this election because he's actually somewhat presentable to the public, but I also thinks there's a reason why this thread is so anti-Romney or rather anti-Republican as I've come to see it.
That's an understandable viewpoint. I wouldn't be so anti-this thread if more posters were reasonable as you and Vexx are. :p I think Romney's a good and hardworking person (He's done 28 years worth of volunteer work, and went to Harvard Law School and Business School at the same time); I just wish he'd leave the Christian shit at the door. As for his fiscal policies... well, I'll refrain from commenting because I don't know a thing about money. >_>
Old 2012-10-27, 23:48   Link #1860
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I wonder why, when you have 24/7 "coverage" from FOX and other conservative mouthpieces hammering away at every and any possibility that Obama is somehow conspiring to win the election through Benghazi. It's gotten so bad lately that even Colbert had to lampoon it.

I won't defend Obama's record too much, and I sure as heck don't like our current political system or climate, but it does no one any good to be constantly spouting off all of this misinformation. FOX and other information sources seem to think they're somehow saving the Republic from "the evils of liberalism", but in reality they're corrupting it with witch hunts and red herrings. Whatever truth may exist out there is corrupted with sensationalism and manipulation.

Solace, neither one of them should be winning.
This should be between the Green Party and the Libertarians with the Justice and Constitution parties next in line.
The Dems and Republicans should be part of a museum exihbit about political parties of the 19th century.

It's the media that has kept them relevant for the last 100 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
We all know Jacob is hotter!

ok, I've never watched Twilight, I swear!
If our elections were fair THIS would represent the 3rd Party candidates using the Twighlight analogy.