AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2008-04-01, 05:05   Link #421
greyhawk
Some dude

I'm not a professional.
But I don't like it.
greyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-01, 07:10   Link #422
VABG
Without Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesince83 View Post
To VABG, it's perfectly acceptable to be critical of artistic design, but keep in mind Kairin is a mascot for the diverse Anime Suki community. While there is a template in place, it is by no means an exclusive definition of her character creation. So in reality, the unique and varied interpretations by different artists is more appropriate for the site.
I think difference in styles and interpretations is good (actually, I prefer it) but I think that certain traits are best to be kept for the sake of it noticeably being the same person, that's probably what's bugging me most.

It's the first page I see whenever I open firefox so I'm probably overreacting
VABG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-01, 15:00   Link #423
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Great piece of work Takumy. I like it because it's fresh and interesting in a way I haven't seen before for Kairin. Getting locked into a narrow art style is never good for an artist, so I'm glad to see artists who break the mold Keep up the beautiful work!

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-01, 20:54   Link #424
tokoyoko
ruu, yaoi fiend.

i really love the style of the new kairin it was about time for a fresh interpretation of the character... uber feminine kairin is nice, but this impish kairin is nice too! and the kimono is to die for.

fanwork isn't any fun unless you put a bit of your own style and take into a character. 'nuff with the negative nancys - the artist doesn't exist to serve your personal tastes. saying things like "i don't like it" just conjures up bad vibes for no real reason.
tokoyoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-01, 21:32   Link #425
PonSquared
A Very Senior Member

The best Kairin yet. Congratulations to the artist.

(Kimono version)
PonSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-01, 22:01   Link #426
Takumy
Vector Queen

Yes this is an anime site ... but open your eyes to new things guys .. i mean i would love to make this picture more eye candy... cause that is what you want, is it not? But noticed how other drawings are kinda copies of other anime styles .. .. the kimono version before it .. it reminded me of Seshamoru from inuyasha.. other drawings are from .. claymore .. saint saiya.. Sakura .. Utawarerumono... i decided to make it origial .. and for that my pieice gets trashed talk.. not nice.. not nice at all.. ^__^

But for those who love art and anime .. they know there is more .. and still appreciate the hard work and love put in to it .. and for that i thank you .. !!

and yes is true .. it should always be the same artist .. but this site loves to see other artist point of view of kairin ... and wishes to give the opportunity to others to draw her and be posted in the site..
Takumy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-01, 22:02   Link #427
Takumy
Vector Queen

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokoyoko View Post
fanwork isn't any fun unless you put a bit of your own style and take into a character. 'nuff with the negative nancys - the artist doesn't exist to serve your personal tastes. saying things like "i don't like it" just conjures up bad vibes for no real reason.
Aww!! Thank you ... I never knew people would hate this picture so much .. Is nice to know that some people do understand the artist point of view and differences of styles ..
Takumy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 02:05   Link #428
PonSquared
A Very Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumy View Post
Aww!! Thank you ... I never knew people would hate this picture so much .. Is nice to know that some people do understand the artist point of view and differences of styles ..
How could anyone hate it? It's head an shoulders above the previous versions that have been plastered on the main page. I'm not saying the other versions weren't good. They were alright - but this new version struck me as being done by someone who has marketable skills (Someone who could work as an artist at some level.)

In a way, the previous version looked as if a fan was copying something out of a manga/anime. The current kimono version looks like an original work. As if the artist thought "Hrmm, what can I do with her?" while staring at a blank sheet of paper, holding a pencil, and using nothing more than his/her own imagination. If anything, I'd say it reminds me of something you'd see on Penny Arcade (The style of her nose, maybe?).

NOTE: Art is in the eye of the beholder. (Who doesn't love floating octopi?)

EDIT: Grats on raising the bar for AS.com main page art, Takumy. You have at least one fan, here.

PS: Fan service is LAME. Real artists don't need to show T&A + panty shots to get their art across. Please ignore the unwashed masses and do as you see fit. Really, no one needs to tell you what to draw. You are doing just fine with what you are producing now.

Last edited by PonSquared; 2008-04-02 at 02:20.
PonSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 05:04   Link #429
N.L

Oooh! I -love- all the details in her outfit. Nicely done! And I actually like that vicious look in her eyes. Makes me feel like she's upp to something. ;D

I would guess that it's the distance bewteen her nose and her mouth that makes her look a little bit odd. And perhaps the shadow between them as well? O.o
N.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 05:24   Link #430
N.L

I am working on a new Kairin-picture.. And I have -no- idea what she should wear. -_-;;

Any suggestions?
Old 2008-04-02, 07:11   Link #431
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

Kairin as an Undine ^_^ .. I would have drawn it if i had the time.. but if anyone else would take the opportunity..it would be awesome
toxic_trance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 13:22   Link #432
tokoyoko
ruu, yaoi fiend.

hahaha sage is awesome well said! the new kairin is indeed a shining example of originality even within the realm of "fan"work.

takumy, a mark of a real artist is to make some waves and get some conversations rolling... rather than pleasing the masses. you certainly seem to have accomplished all that, eh? thanks for challenging the status quo and sharing your talents. ya got a fan in me too.
Old 2008-04-02, 19:46   Link #433
kacike

You mean that kairin is not for april fools?.

I mean , it is well done and all that , but it is disgusting. Before it , access to the page was rewarded with a cute looking girl. Now i am thinking of ways to block that image.

It give me shivers , with all due respect to the drawer.

I have been wanting to register for a time and that image got me to do it so i can warn you. Ill let that fact do the talking.

By the way , since i registered on whim only for this and will possibly never post again , let me praise you people. Nice community you got up here , dudes. I have been around here since years ago and will do so in the future.

Keep it up.
kacike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 20:32   Link #434
ShiniIllumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacike View Post

I mean , it is well done and all that , but it is disgusting. Before it , access to the page was rewarded with a cute looking girl. Now i am thinking of ways to block that image.

I have been wanting to register for a time and that image got me to do it so i can warn you. Ill let that fact do the talking.

By the way , since i registered on whim only for this and will possibly never post again , let me praise you people. Nice community you got up here , dudes. I have been around here since years ago and will do so in the future.

Keep it up.
To each their own, but I don't believe her hard work is something to call disgusting.

So it doesn't look like the other Karen's from the past. I think it's nice in it's own way. I like, as it's not quite anime, but not quite real.

Kudos to the Artist^^

Last edited by ShiniIllumi; 2008-04-02 at 20:32. Reason: abc, 123, there =/= their. -.-;
ShiniIllumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 20:39   Link #435
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I find myself shocked that anyone could say something so nasty about that very nice piece of artwork. I certainly know that it is not typical anime style, but it is absolutely beautiful. I actually like the distinctiveness of this vision of Kairin and find it very refreshing.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 23:48   Link #436
tokoyoko
ruu, yaoi fiend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacike View Post

Keep it up.

[face-palm] what's disgusting is your lack of courtesy, your warped motivation to register out of purely vindictive intentions, and your bizarre and incorrect use of the word "drawer."

takumy, as far as i know... is not a piece of furniture that holds various items or articles of clothing. nor is takumy underwear.

go back to lurking - shoo shoo! [scatters salt]
Old 2008-04-03, 07:18   Link #437
N.L

Now, now tokoyoko. kacike is entitled to his/her own opinion, and free to express it; even though some might not agree with it. As an artist it's important that people are honest rather than just smiling, nodding and saying that all we do is great. "Disgusting" might be a clumsy way to express what ever it is that kacike find so displeasing about this picture, but it is still his/her opinion..

And come on.. We're from different corners of the world; as long as we understand each other there's no meaning in pointing out if we spell something wrong or if some particular word is misused. ;P
Old 2008-04-03, 07:51   Link #438
kacike

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokoyoko View Post
[face-palm] what's disgusting is your lack of courtesy, your warped motivation to register out of purely vindictive intentions, and your bizarre and incorrect use of the word "drawer."
I re-enter the forum against i was initially thinking to do and what do i found?. Some random guy trying to make a fool out of me...

Lack of courtesy? : Which part of the "with all due respect" do you not understand.

Warped motivation to register out of purely vindictive intentions? : vindictive? omg , VINDICTIVE!!??. I searched that word my friend , and i dont like it. I came here to tell you all what kind of reaction that image is getting out there. I merely told my opinion about it. Now , tell me where is the revenge there. Or are you telling me that i am hurting/anguishing the drawer with an honest opinion?

Bizarre and incorrect use of the word drawer? : My bad , some of the animesuki users have not english as a native language since we are from all around the world. I hope that you have no problem with that. If you are willing to teach me a new and more correct word meaning drawer ill be glad to hear.

To sum it all , i think you are trying to mock me. I came here with an opinion trying to be useful for the community and you use sacarms against me. I hope you had fun.

ShiniIllumi , maybe disgusting have connotations i am not aware of. What i wanted to say its that that image is , as we say here in spain , "desagradable". It means that its ugliness shocks anyone who access the page. I am not sure if i am being understand now , have i used the right words?. I mean no offense to the drawer , its just and opinion and i must say that in its own style it is very well draw. Its just... that it is shocking and , in a way , "desagradable".

Well , i came again not to justify myself , i dont care about what you think about me , but to bring something useful. I found a way to block that image for everyone who might think like me to use and i thought it would be useful to share it. It is to add the next line:

Quote:
127.0.0.1 static.animesuki.com
to the hosts file. I am using it on linux , you find the file in /etc/host. For windows , you can go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and edit it , adding the previously written line to the end of the file.

So far , it only block that image. I dont know if any other files will be block but i think that will not be the case. If it happens , you can comment the line with # so it is not used. Like this:

Quote:
#127.0.0.1 static.animesuki.com

Well , i hope you found this useful. Ill be leaving you now. Thanks , again , to the animesuki community for this extra-nice site.
kacike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-03, 10:39   Link #439
bb10

I have to comment on this after I've seen the picture on the frontpage. The minute I saw this picture I knew something was ... different with this picture.

After coming here to see the picture, I noticed the drawing looks great. Somehow the I like the face much better in the drawing. The shape of the nose, the cheeks are a bit overdone in the picture in my humble opinion and is it just me or did anyone notice that she misses an upper lip in the picture?

I don't know if the missing upper lip is intentional or not, but the character would look so much better with an upper lip. I also don't know if thats easily fixable or not.

Anyway, I don't want to be all negative about the picture. Both the drawing and the picture are great pieces of art and their creation has no doubt consumed lots of free time.

Good luck with your future works Takumy.
bb10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-03, 11:45   Link #440
VABG
Without Avatar

This is all my fault! Noooooooh!
VABG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kairin, wiki candidate