AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-09-01, 13:44   Link #21
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

It's a funny thing - Usually Visual Novels get much stronger emotions out of me than Anime does. Still, there were a couple that stirred something in me.

Usagi Drop - "Awwww" all around. Didn't think it'd be my sort of show, but it was incredibly sweet, in a good way.

Code Geass / Death Note - Completely over the top at some points (alright, alright... pretty much anytime), but I was so awed by the cast and all the plotting/twists happening that I was glued to my seat all the time.

Ga-Rei:Zero - The twist at the end of the first episode left me speechless. "Reincarnation", as a music, still makes me feel gloomy because of what happened while it played.

Seitokai no Ichizon/Yakuindomo - (Perverted) laughs all around.

Berserk - Shock and awe at the last moments. Followed by "Holy cow.. the bad guys actually.. won?" and much rejoicing.

Couple others here and there. People still won't believe me when I tell them I've watched/played through all of Key's works without as much as a tear or a sad sigh.
Old 2013-09-01, 14:08   Link #22
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

Naruto/Naruto Shippuden : i felt many different emotions and many different times during this anime, i felt determined, will powered, sad, and much more, i felt very emotional at times while watching the anime and reading the manga.

Clannad/Clannad Afterstory : sad and also happy at different occasions

Sket Dance: it gave me many happy moments,it also gives a nice warm feeling and also gives the feeling of good in other people. may be that's why when the tragic part in the anime strikes it's very hurtful.

Chrono Crusade: it had the most depressing and sad ending i have ever seen, i left me depressed and sad for sometime after it.

Fairy Tail : the back stories of some characters and the events happening right now because of their past eg: Gray, Laxus, Mystogan, Mirajane,...etc, other than that there were also many other emotional moments. it was sad mixed among other feelings.

Watamote : Now i wouldn't say pushed the emotions to the edge, but while watching it as well as reading the manga it was so funny and made me laugh hard but was also sad and depressing at the same time.

Now Many people might think that it is pretty lame to be emotional over some of these animes, but this is how i felt.
Old 2013-09-01, 16:20   Link #23
Random32
Also a Lolicon

CLANNAD After Story - Many moments with many emotions. But most of episode 18 is definitely the most heartwarming moment I've had in anime.
Spoiler for ~AS~ ep18:

Haibane Renmei - Happiness near the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
5cm per second- Extremely sad.
I remember 5cm/sec as more bittersweet than purely sad. It's about moving on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
But I've never seen Now and Then, Here and There brought up.
It deserves way more recognition than it has.
^ this
Old 2013-09-01, 17:23   Link #24
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Now I notice it, but why you guys only listed anime in the last decade and ignored 70s-90s.

Oh, what about philosophy? The last time an anime really make you re-think about life?
Old 2013-09-01, 17:56   Link #25
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
Now I notice it, but why you guys only listed anime in the last decade and ignored 70s-90s.
There is a ton of early 2000's stuff listed.

Also, Grave of the Fireflies is 1980's, Now and Then Here and There is late 1990's.

As for why there aren't more. Short memory spans. And unwillingness to watch older stuff because animation is often pretty shitty.

Quote:
Oh, what about philosophy? The last time an anime really make you re-think about life?
CLANNAD ~AS~ and family relationships.
Old 2013-09-01, 19:20   Link #26
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
As for why there aren't more. Short memory spans. And unwillingness to watch older stuff because animation is often pretty shitty.
And that is one thing I have to complain about anime: With Manga, no matter how old is it, you could still feel the creator's soul in it. Not so with Anime.
Old 2013-09-01, 19:45   Link #27
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
And that is one thing I have to complain about anime: With Manga, no matter how old is it, you could still feel the creator's soul in it. Not so with Anime.
Not if your own soul resonates with the anime in question! For easy example, super robot fans tend to REALLY like those old robot animes.
Old 2013-09-01, 21:31   Link #28
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
I just finished the Oreimo S2 specials and oh boy did it stretch my ironic sarcastic laughter scale off the charts. It is possibility the worst series I've ever seen alongside Mars of Destruction, FSN: Unlimited Blade Works movie and Zero no Tsukaima S3/S4. I'm 90% sure that it was a troll by the original light novel author.
Old 2013-09-01, 22:18   Link #29
tag1981

Naruto/Naruto Shippuden - Made me feel it all. Happiness, sorrow, anger, etc. So many amazing moments scattered throughout this great anime.

Elfen Lied - Lucy is such a tragic character. I haven't watched this anime in years and yet I still randomly think about the ending and if that was her shadow.

Full Metal Alchemist - I got EXTREMELY attached to the sibling relationship between Ed & Al. When they were happy, I was happy. When they were upset with each other, I was devastated.

Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal - Wow. Just wow.

Samurai Champloo - The ending was happy enough but I was in such pain. Anyone who has seen this knows why.

Black Lagoon - Whenever I complete this series, Revy is always on my mind for at least a week. She doesn't need anyone taking care of her but she's just so f***** up mentally. She's the type you wanna watch out for even though you know she's doesn't need it.

Bake/Nise/Neko/Monogateri Series - It doesn't matter which. Whenever I get to watch an ep in this series I'm as happy as a fat kid in a doughnut shop. I haven't even watched any from the newest series but I'm saving it till they have at least more than 10 eps available. I will buy them all on Blu-Ray or DVD whenever they dub it. If they ever dub it.

The Future Diary - All I do is get pissed whenever I think of this anime. A GREAT anime that may have been on everyone's top 10 list, gets undermined because it has one of the worst male leads in the history of Anime. What a pathetic waste!
Old 2013-09-01, 22:21   Link #30
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

The one inherent issue with threads like this is that, particularly with sad shows, I think the impact can be lessened if you go in knowing it will be sad.

To me, there's three anime that stand out in terms of how emotionally invested I became in them:
Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu: It's fairly rare for me to find anime that are effective on me as either making me feel like I want to cry or like something it twisting in my gut. This anime does both. First anime I can remember finding emotionally really intense (though Moon Phase, the show that got me into anime in the first place, had it's moments).

EF: A lot of VN adaptations go the "tearjerker" route. EF, on the other hand, tends to go for the gut, and for me at least, is a much more memorable experience because of it. Chihiro's arc in particular had some heartwrenching moments. Miyako and Yuuko's stories aren't quite to the same level, but the creative ways in which the show depicts the damage done to them is still chilling in a way most show just don't manage for me.

Ever 17: Okay, so two anime and a VN. This one is mainly here for Tsugumi's story. It's gut wrenching at times in her own route, then the true path additions add some damn good "heartwarming tearjerker" moments.

The Key style tearjerker doesn't tend to be quite as effective on me. Often when I watch a Key show, I have to go back and rewatch the "big wham" moment after completing the story, concentrating on the "moment" and not the story itself, before I can really feel much from them. Hence why I don't rank the commonly cited Air and Clannad: After Story at the top of my list. I suspect I might have liked them more in VN form - I just get the feeling I would have gotten more "into the moment" in that format, which tends to be a little slower paced. That said, since we've already brought up Misuzu and Nagisa's stories, I also want to point out that Makoto (Kanon) and Kotomi (Clannad) also have their share of good tearjerker moments that tend to get overshadowed by the big two. (Since I like my gut wrenchers: I personally think of Kotomi having a nervous breakdown in Clannad S1 as the high point of gut wrenching in Key shows. Nice performance from Noto Mamiko there.)

P.S. Angel Beats is the odd exception to the rule: the graduation scene got me pretty good even on first watch.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag1981 View Post
Black Lagoon - Whenever I complete this series, Revy is always on my mind for at least a week. She doesn't need anyone taking care of her but she's just so f***** up mentally. She's the type you wanna watch out for even though you know she's doesn't need it.
It might be more accurate to say she doesn't want it (unless you mean watch out for in the "cover me" sense). And woe betide anyone who forgets that.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2013-09-01, 23:00   Link #31
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

CLANNAD to the point were I can't listen to the Dango song (Nagisa's theme) anymore because I will probably break down again.
Old 2013-09-01, 23:30   Link #32
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

@zer0: Umm, this thread is not just about sadness, but all kind of emotional. And why sad is one of the most popular emotion ever conveyed in Anime? Is it so hard to include Happiness, Regretness, Nervousness,..?
Old 2013-09-01, 23:56   Link #33
Eragon
Still Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
I remember 5cm/sec as more bittersweet than purely sad. It's about moving on.
Oh, I know. That was just my reaction on my first watch. I got to the 'moving on' part after rewatching the last song at least 5 times
Old 2013-09-02, 00:17   Link #34
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Anohana. That series was hilarious. I lol'd like every episode.

5 cm per second and Wolf Children were potent as well. It's rare to get something so engaging, meaningful, and simple which just makes you feel every care in the world was taken to create something of passion and quality in which you really felt like you were there in the world they created.

And as for the opposite is something that completely lacks these qualities...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
I just finished the Oreimo S2 specials and oh boy did it stretch my ironic sarcastic laughter scale off the charts. It is possibility the worst series I've ever seen alongside Mars of Destruction, FSN: Unlimited Blade Works movie and Zero no Tsukaima S3/S4. I'm 90% sure that it was a troll by the original light novel author.
If only it were funny. MD Geist it is not.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-09-02, 02:24   Link #35
Calca
Expressionless

Clannad After Story is the only anime to actually make tears come out of my eyes.

Kanon was the first one to actually make me upset at a fate of a character

Metropolis was the first one to make me feel depressed because I grew attached to the heroine.

Ultra Maniac was the first anime to make me feel sad when the series ended to give me the realization that I'd never see the characters again in a new setting.
Old 2013-09-02, 02:46   Link #36
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
@zer0: Umm, this thread is not just about sadness, but all kind of emotional. And why sad is one of the most popular emotion ever conveyed in Anime? Is it so hard to include Happiness, Regretness, Nervousness,..?
There's quite a bit of happy anime out there but it tends to be more low key. Think things like Hidamari Sketch or Kirino Mosaic. The sad stuff tends to be a lot more dramatic and intense.
Nervousness...you do see shows that tackle social anxiety, such as Welcome to the NHK and Watamote, but they're more likely to make the audience feel uncomfortable than nervous, I think.

I mention that sad stuff tends to be intense and dramatic, and that's why I concentrated in my post. Because shows like EF and Iriya no Sora are the ones I find the most emotionally intense.

I then brought up Key's shows to illustrate a point. Key's shows are said, but I find shows like EF are much better at depicting experiences that are painful and harrowing for the characters. And that, not merely sad events, is what really tends to "jab me in the gut".

I'll also note that when a show like EF or Iriya has a happy moment, it tends to stand out much more than in shows where such moments are more common, just because of the contrast with the gut wrenching parts.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2013-09-02, 04:45   Link #37
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

So, back to the point! Which anime do you feel is the most "alive"? And that rule out all fantasy one.
Old 2013-09-02, 05:02   Link #38
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
CLANNAD to the point were I can't listen to the Dango song (Nagisa's theme) anymore because I will probably break down again.
I agree. That's a very powerful piece. I'm careful to only pull that one out when I'm in the absolute right mood.

I had it playing on my phone while I was reading a World War II memorial plaque once. It wasn't planned, and it didn't end well for me.
Old 2013-09-02, 05:14   Link #39
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
So, back to the point! Which anime do you feel is the most "alive"? And that rule out all fantasy one.
Clarify.

Are we talking alive as in its closeness to reality? Are we talking about how well-established its world and characters are, how much effort was put into making it feel as if it were alive?
Old 2013-09-02, 06:33   Link #40
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
Clarify.

Are we talking alive as in its closeness to reality? Are we talking about how well-established its world and characters are, how much effort was put into making it feel as if it were alive?
Emotional Reality - A.K.A Poly-Dimensional Character. Oh, and I want something that could gives the "Dulled" feeling of life.
Closed Thread

Tags
anime, art, debate, discussion, emotion