AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2011-03-28, 14:57   Link #1481
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
Thanks

That Nanoha and Fate image doesn't say "Married at last!" does it? ^^" I know Danbooru's throwing a fuss about tagging it as yuri
The big pink stuff on the site?

独立創刊

独立 【どくりつ】 (adj-na,n,vs) independence (e.g. Independence Day); self-support; (P); ED
創刊 【そうかん】 (n,vs) launching (e.g. newspaper); first issue; (P); ED

As for why they're getting all prepped for a wedding?

Because the character designer for the Nanoha franchise, Okuda Yasuhiro, is getting married. Or he's married already and we're celebrating. One or the other. :B

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Bananoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-28, 15:02   Link #1482
Justin_Brett

Oh, that's nice.
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-28, 22:38   Link #1483
WarpObscura
Bibliophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Rough guess based on the Force/Vivid divide, half of the vocal fanbase would have liked it, half would have loathed it.
I wouldn't be surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
If this is really going to be a war story (which I'm still doubting) there will be repercussions for this failure - even a reasonable superior will at the very least tell them to stand down and *ahem* wait for further instructions since there's so many things to be rethought and reparations and refitting to be done. Unless they'll play the nepotism card and have Fate make some 'family calls'
I don't honestly think Tsuzuki is going for a war story, not like this. Where are the strategic/operational/theatric objectives? Where is the planning? The deployment and logistical concerns? The support units and redshirts? The Bureau definitely isn't gearing up for a full conflict if the only thing it's doing about Eclipse and the Hucks is send RF6 forth.

Unless the Hucks are just scouts for the real enemy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
I'd prefer if they add a bit of fantasy - for all it's claim as a magitech story, the series seemed to be leaning heavily towards the technology side these days.
How would you definite fantasy? Is not this focus on an elite group that can flatten large numbers of the enemy with ease enough a hallmark of that genre?

Yo dawg, I heard you like QB...

Thanks MAEt for the av!
WarpObscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-28, 23:04   Link #1484
Justin_Brett

To anyone who says this is a war: wars never have a battle ending with all the casualties on one side.
Old 2011-03-28, 23:16   Link #1485
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
To anyone who says this is a war: wars never have a battle ending with all the casualties on one side.
First time for everything =/

Though I've never really taken the war in the title seriously. I think they just wanted a good word to replace shoujo with. Besides, maybe the word 'Senki' has a different connotation than the typical war us english speakers are used to. I usually see 'Sensou' used for that context.
Old 2011-03-28, 23:27   Link #1486
Justin_Brett

Well okay, maybe in Destiny. But do you really want to use THAT as an example? For anything?
Old 2011-03-28, 23:30   Link #1487
Ottocycle

The "war" in the title can easily be replaced with "battle" and still work. "War" was adopted by the translators back when they had no idea what would come up next, and only chapter 00 was released then.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-28, 23:31   Link #1488
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Eh, Special Editions at least had Dearka and that one DOM pilot recieve damage.

That flawless victory has horseshit because it was the final battle. Of a Gundam series. Here in Force, the Huckebein's victory happens after their first major encounter. Like I pointed out before, evil always triumphs in the middle.

Come to think of it, S1 and A's both had flawless victories for final battles too.
Old 2011-03-28, 23:35   Link #1489
Justin_Brett

This is why I like Monster of the Week shows. Even if the major villains win in some way, the heroes are allowed some victory. Here it's pretty much impossible to get rid of any of them until near the end.

And a crucial difference there is that Precia and the Book of Darkness weren't the main characters for two thirds of the series beforehand.
Old 2011-03-28, 23:43   Link #1490
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Just goes to show that things don't always go your way, even if you are the good guys. Even the mightiest hero suffers a crushing defeat at some point. Just be thankful they got off without any fatalities.

You certainly don't have to like that development, but that doesn't mean there's something wrong with it from a storytelling stand point.
Old 2011-03-28, 23:46   Link #1491
Justin_Brett

Most shows like that also have the heroes win a couple times before that happens. Just sayin'.

(And yeah, there's pre-established characters here, but they were probably intending to pick up some some new audience members, what with the new protagonist and all.)
Old 2011-03-28, 23:46   Link #1492
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
I like not knowing whats going on. Its a challenge.

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
itanshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-28, 23:53   Link #1493
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
Most shows like that also have the heroes win a couple times before that happens. Just sayin'.
Nanoha has 3 seasons worth of wins under her belt =/
Old 2011-03-28, 23:57   Link #1494
Justin_Brett

Look at the second line there, Raiser.

But then again, Touma hasn't come close to winning a fight so far himself, so what do I know?
Old 2011-03-28, 23:57   Link #1495
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

It's kinda sad that the only there isn't rampant complaining in this thread is when we're off-topic.
Old 2011-03-29, 00:05   Link #1496
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Well this thread would be a lot more peaceful if Justin would admit that he's wrong about everything

I kid, naturally
Old 2011-03-29, 00:05   Link #1497
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

It feels like some of us are angsting that we have to actually angst about the plot line. When did we ever want it to be easy on us? Why would we ever want a story involving death to be easy on anyone?

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2011-03-29, 00:10   Link #1498
Justin_Brett

And if Raiser would stop needing to be so damn reasonable about almost every single plot point.
Old 2011-03-29, 00:54   Link #1499
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpObscura View Post
How would you definite fantasy? Is not this focus on an elite group that can flatten large numbers of the enemy with ease enough a hallmark of that genre?
I think Tiresias is refering to a more mystical elements into the plot, which i agree with. All of this "magic sucks" plot saddens me greatly. also the fact that they surrender quickly to rely on full-technology. StrikerS and ViVid demonstrates that there are various types and styles of magic, and we are telled that they ignore all the vast options and go directly for the guns? For an organization so adamant on their "no mass weaponary" posture, they surrender farily quick on the optioons available. Isis(and Hayate) are the only creative mages here so far(Signum didn't count because even after seeing the big wall she still opts to headbutting against it ...repeatedly).

And i know that "technology plays always a big part of the nanohaverse" but also magic and mistiscism, Precia was a scientist but behaves much more like a typical witch, which i find very amusing. The Wolkenritter are much more akin to "Magic Knights" than "Science Warriors" gain being both strong and interesting. Each style of magic is testament of a different culture or society and even if in the end all is mana, it also means that they aren't a single form of using it, ViVid is doing a pretty good job on that department, i'm waiting for the teournament to continue because is starting to introduce more creative ways to use magic. That's also one of the very good points of StrikerS, it introduces more variety of magic(Nakajima Shooting Arts, Summon Magic & Support, Nightmare dogs w/mind reading, Teleport/Flash Step, more variety of Knight Devices, Unison) as also interesting roots for said kinds of magic. FORCe is introducing some new stuiff but it gets very limited in both quality and cultural background by the fact that only technostuff is able to work against these people, effectively banning all other magical solutions or mistical warriors to come and lend a hand xDU.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-29, 01:01   Link #1500
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

I don't think we should down on the fact that our ladies might be strong regardless of what tools they use.

Tags
manga, nanoha force