Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-10-28, 09:56   Link #121
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurik View Post
I think each member are going to get a small flasback of their 2 years training around the time they are having the center stage fight, sort of remembering any tips they got so they can defeat their obstacle (sort of like zoro when he fought Mr 1).
That seems the most probable story approach. Additionally, I doubt the fans could take it if Oda wasted any current chapters on flashbacks (as it is, I expect next chapter will, yet again, be another "Reaction" chapter, with the marines reacting, if not the entire world reacting, to the Strawhats reemergence.
Old 2010-10-28, 10:04   Link #122
Rurik
Golden

You know what I would love to see?, Sengoku meeting Luffy in the NW, I love the character and his interaction with Garp were always funny, So I’m hopping some similar interaction with Luffy (got to love the goat!).
Old 2010-10-28, 10:40   Link #123
Amirali
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Amirali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Of course. Having that element of mystery to keep us in suspense and anticipation. I understand all of that. I'm not saying they would demonstrate all of their new tricks to fodder (they wouldn't even have to do so). The point here is that Oda needs to stop "spoon feeding" the strawhats with all this help. That's tantamount to the strawhats not deserving all of the praise and credit they get.
Luffy and/or the Strawhats have taken out Skypeia's dictator, rescued Alabasta, stormed down Enies Lobby, cracked Impel Down; among other things. Also, Luffy,Sanji and Zoro already defeated the main marine threats this round - the Pacifistas. So, I think they've earned a free pass to Fishman Island.

The stormtroopers we saw in the chapter are just bugs. This chapter was about giving the strawhats an affectionate send-off, rather than "rescuing" them from any distress. Saobody Archipalego, or the Whitebeard War are actually much better examples for you of where Luffy and co did seem too hapless. But from this point out in the New World, we can expect to see them fighting (primarily) on their own. Rayleigh, and Kuma and the Whitebeard pirates may have protected them from the admirals/big brass before - but it's upto the Strawhats now to prove they're ready.

Last edited by Amirali; 2010-10-28 at 10:50.
Old 2010-10-28, 12:06   Link #124
cheese4u
da big boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animizzle View Post
Funny how a some of posters come up with the argument that it's ridiculous to complain because 'who cares' and "What, is the story over now?". Seriously? Rurik even made the good old 'how is anything unrealistic in a magical shounen'-argument.

Way to kill a discussion. The purpose of these weekly discussions is to microanalyze every panel is we wish to. Just as we revel in the small fun details that Oda gives us, why wouldn't we be allowed to be annoyed at (what I personally thought) was a unneccesary display of events, and discuss the plausibility of mentors presence?
I'm not saying you don't have right to do anything. I'm just criticizing your complaint, like you're criticizing the manga. I think that's fair. When you post, you open the door for people to say you're wrong.

Quote:
I admit this particular complaint isn't really consequential to the story, but that's not the point here. The strawhats have just made their return after 2 years of training, so there is this expectation that they can now take care of themselves (at least much better so than before, especially against fodder). Then it just so happens that all of their mentors/allies are there to bail them out of trouble. Not a good starting impression on their progress.
They're not being bailed out, they're just being sent off. I think if they wanted to they could take out all or most of those marines, but they probably didn't because they don't engage in pointless fights. And even if they couldn't win, so what? There are only nine strawhats and thousands of Marines.

And what would be the point of them fighting the marine's anyway? To prove they can beat marines? To prove that they're strong and dangerous? Haven't they arlready beaten thousand of marines? Isn't they're crew worth 600 million plus? Engaging in that kind of fight would be completely pointless.

This chapter was just meant to be a heart-warming farewell from all of the SH's friends, not something to be examined under a microscope. Next week I'm sure it'll be back to business as usual.

Quote:
This is a terrible analogy.
10 million dollars= One Piece Manga

1 or 2 bucks here or there= this chapter

How could you not get that?
Ya know, when a man works hard his entire life enduring hundreds of ladies, many of whom he does not even remember you'd like to think that at the end of the day he will be given a lot of money, without having had to earn it. -Leon Phelps
Old 2010-10-28, 12:20   Link #125
p-kun

Perona is so hot now :3, and this is coming from sb who hated her old looks. It'll be great if she joins, but even if she doesn't, it's not a big deal (I hate her voice). She has no position to fill anyway.

As for the send-off by the mentors. It's cheesy, but like everyone says, it's a good way to withhold showing off the new capabilities of each SH until the best moment.

Besides, if you care about someone, wouldn't you wait for them until takeoff, no matter how long? When I accompany someone to the airport, I always wait until he/she takes off or at least until he/she enters the custom area where I cannot see him/her anymore, even if it takes over 1 hour for check in. It's common courtesy as well.

I personally don't think the gramps of weatheria have no business there. No matter how strong Nami is, she's a girl and they are sending her to a lawless area. They just want to make sure that she's safe and sound before leaving. Now, I'm not saying that she is weak, but her being a girl means that you get bigger urge to spoil/overprotect her.

EDIT: If the SH were not in a hurry to leave, the mentors might even want to introduce themselves to the whole crew or at least the captain. Another common courtesy, another reason to stay in the archipelago, aside from shopping, watching concert, and playing in the amusement park.

I found that the SHs, especially the ones that came several days earlier, not waiting for each other in the ship was weirder. I mean, they had been separated for 2 years and they really missed each other, but they sure were not that eager to see the others as soon as possible. Just a little nitpick.

Last edited by p-kun; 2010-10-28 at 12:46.
Old 2010-10-28, 12:26   Link #126
Ermes Marana

I had issues with the entire Impel Down story, and to a lesser extent the war, due to Luffy being too weak and continually skating by due to lots of unlikely help. This complaint was partially fixed by finally having him realize his weakness.

I liked the mentors being there. Presumably they helped provide transportation, so they were already there, and it makes perfect sense for them to give their pupils a sendoff just because they wanted to. They didn't need to help, they wanted to help. And it provided closure for the time the crew spent apart.

I'm surprised anyone is taking it as an implication that they "needed" help.
Old 2010-10-28, 16:12   Link #127
ashesatdusk

Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
Quote:
I'm not saying you don't have right to do anything. I'm just criticizing your complaint, like you're criticizing the manga. I think that's fair. When you post, you open the door for people to say you're wrong.
The issue with the group of you, since its not just limited to you, is your not directly criticizing the argument. Criticizing other posters for having a particular view point. This is a forum for discussing manga and inherently a place where people are allowed to critique work to have room for an intelligent discussion.

A few of you have afforded this, but some clearly have not. If you think that there is nothing wrong with the send off that is a perfectly valid opinion to have, its the comments after words that leave a foul taste in the mouth. Its unfortunate that a set of you take the time to write things like, "I'm surprised to see a veteran poster". It really does discourage the point of having these threads in the first point. Maybe I have a bit to high expectations for Animesuki.
Old 2010-10-28, 16:27   Link #128
cheese4u
da big boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashesatdusk View Post
The issue with the group of you, since its not just limited to you, is your not directly criticizing the argument. Criticizing other posters for having a particular view point. This is a forum for discussing manga and inherently a place where people are allowed to critique work to have room for an intelligent discussion.

A few of you have afforded this, but some clearly have not. If you think that there is nothing wrong with the send off that is a perfectly valid opinion to have, its the comments after words that leave a foul taste in the mouth. Its unfortunate that a set of you take the time to write things like, "I'm surprised to see a veteran poster". It really does discourage the point of having these threads in the first point. Maybe I have a bit to high expectations for Animesuki.
Would you be so kind as to point out where i attacked the poster or his right to say what he/she pleases. Because I don't recall saying anything like that. I've even implicity stated that you have the right to say whatever you want, but I have the right to call you out on it if i disagree. Responding to the manga isn't the only point of forums. Sharing your views for others to view and critique is also a part of it.

Btw, you sound a lot like the people you're criticizing with your "maybe i have a bit too high expectations for Animesuki" comment.
Ya know, when a man works hard his entire life enduring hundreds of ladies, many of whom he does not even remember you'd like to think that at the end of the day he will be given a lot of money, without having had to earn it. -Leon Phelps
Old 2010-10-28, 17:22   Link #129
spandy15

If the SH have to take another detour on the way to Fishman Island, I'm gonna go ballistic.

We, the loyal fans, have waited since the end of Enies Lobbies to see Fishman Island; I've lost track of time, but that's got to be about four years ago. I understand that the seperation arc was crucial for their survival in the New World, but FOUR YEARS? Let's just get there already!

P.S.: If the SHs do get a crew member that used to be an enemy, I hope that it's Bon Clay. I have been hoping he would become a SH since the end of the Alabasta arc, and watching his actions during Impel Down has only strengthened my resolve that he would be a perfect addition to the SHs. Anyway, is it really so hard to believe that he could have survived against the Warden?
Old 2010-10-28, 17:48   Link #130
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese4u View Post
10 million dollars= One Piece Manga

1 or 2 bucks here or there= this chapter

How could you not get that?
Clearly you didn't understand my argument properly, because your analogy doesn't remotely conform with what I'm saying. That's why I called it terrible.

Several people here found the send-off to be lame/cheesy, others didn't. We'll have to agree to disagree on the matter. Nuff said.
Old 2010-10-28, 17:56   Link #131
cheese4u
da big boss

Quote:
Clearly you didn't understand my argument properly, because your analogy doesn't remotely conform with what I'm saying. That's why I called it terrible.

Several people here found the send-off to be lame/cheesy, others didn't. We'll have to agree to disagree on the matter. Nuff said.
What I meant by my "terrible analogy" was that picking apart one insignificant scene in one chapter (i.e. one or two bucks here or there) is shortsighted on your part when the rest of the series (and more than likely everything from here on out) has been gold (i. e. ten million dollar lotto). You may or may not have been impressed by by my analogy, but it is accurate.
Old 2010-10-28, 18:09   Link #132
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese4u View Post
What I meant by my "terrible analogy" was that picking apart one insignificant scene in one chapter (i.e. one or two bucks here or there) is shortsighted on your part when the rest of the series (and more than likely everything from here on out) has been gold (i. e. ten million dollar lotto). You may or may not have been impressed by by my analogy, but it is accurate.
I already acknowledged that my complaint wasn't consequential to the story. I'm saying that I don't like the way the strawhats' departure was executed. That's all.

I also said that I rarely complain about One Piece, since Oda is an excellent writer. That being said, I absolutely love it (it's my favorite manga of all time). But that doesn't mean it's perfect.

If anything, the defenders are making a big deal out of this dispute.
Old 2010-10-28, 18:18   Link #133
cheese4u
da big boss

Quote:
I already acknowledged that my complaint wasn't consequential to the story. I'm saying that I don't like the way the strawhats' departure was executed. That's all.

I also said that I rarely complain about One Piece, since Oda is an excellent writer. That being said, I absolutely love it (it's my favorite manga of all time). But that doesn't mean it's perfect.

Fair enough.
Old 2010-10-28, 18:51   Link #134
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
But you don't like papa Whitebeard, rendering all your points moot!

........ no, that wasn't serious.

Quote:
I didn't have any beef with your argument until this part.
Oh come on, you should know better than this kettle-call-pot-black cop-out.
Old 2010-10-28, 19:44   Link #135
secretzfan
*Fansubber

You know the best part of this chapter was when everyone finds out that Luffy is friends with a warlord
Old 2010-10-28, 19:49   Link #136
Tommy
Mr. Prince

My favorite part was Sanji turning to stone after checking out Hancock through the telescope. Great chapter all in all, I liked seeing all the cameos.
Old 2010-10-28, 20:25   Link #137
kiak666

Ha ha, I find this chapter to be quite awesome. Too bad Ussopp wasn't there when Perona make her appearance, I had always been wondering how the Ghost Princess would react if she ever saw her "arch-nemesis" again.
Old 2010-10-28, 20:30   Link #138
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
You know the best part of this chapter was when everyone finds out that Luffy is friends with a warlord
No no, the best part is when the okama 'winked' at Sanji (which resembles Boa when she winked at Luffy )

Old 2010-10-28, 20:36   Link #139
Gin
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiak666 View Post
Ha ha, I find this chapter to be quite awesome. Too bad Ussopp wasn't there when Perona make her appearance, I had always been wondering how the Ghost Princess would react if she ever saw her "arch-nemesis" again.
I was wondering if Usopp would still be immune to Perona's powers. Now that he is a brave warrior of the sea, Usopp might not be so negative anymore.
Old 2010-10-28, 20:55   Link #140
golgo13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin View Post
I was wondering if Usopp would still be immune to Perona's powers. Now that he is a brave warrior of the sea, Usopp might not be so negative anymore.
yeah that's a good point. maybe not. hopefully they won't quarrel in the future anyways.

i liked the chapter. there was some fan service, but i thought it showed how special the relationships that each character had built over the last two really are. i was actually wondering about how no "mentor" really stepped up for robin, franky or brooke.
Closed Thread

Tags
weekly chapter discussion