AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-08-01, 15:32   Link #521
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Honestly, I don't really see anything "fiscally conservative" in Satsuki's platform at all, based on what we've seen so far. Looks like straight up redistribution of wealth to me.
Cutting spending for clubs (essentially, a "social program") in order to finance spending elsewhere is more in line with fiscal conservatism than raising taxes (in this case, raising tuition or adding some new student fees/raising existing ones) or engaging in deficit spending.

One of the things that got the current Student Council President in trouble was "unaccounted expenditures" (see 13:32 to 13:55 of Episode 1). Such expenditures is also what Satsuki used against the General Affairs Commissioner. That does seem to at least hint at the possibility of deficit spending to me (although it also makes it clear that this school would frown on it).

Should you be right in your interpretation, it means that Satsuki cares about the poorer students at her school. But it also means that the methods she's using to help them are ones of considerable fiscal restraint.

Honestly, I don't know why you seem to be equating cuts to spending on school clubs with... raising taxes on the rich, I guess. The kids in the Food Club aren't rich, or they wouldn't be worrying about raising money for a political campaign.
Old 2012-08-01, 16:10   Link #522
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

They're certainly richer than the ones having to sweep the hallways and empty the garbage.

I think you're using the wrong model here, to be honest - it seems to me that the budget the Student Council President has to work with is a fixed number, so really, this is a zero sum game - "raising taxes" doesn't enter into it. Either the money is spent on one thing, or on something else. And if there's a question of misappropriated funds, that's a matter of malfeasance - liberalism or conservatism doesn't enter into the equation.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-01, 16:20   Link #523
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I think you're using the wrong model here, to be honest - it seems to me that the budget the Student Council President has to work with is a fixed number, so really, this is a zero sum game - "raising taxes" doesn't enter into it. Either the money is spent on one thing, or on something else. And if there's a question of misappropriated funds, that's a matter of malfeasance - liberalism or conservatism doesn't enter into the equation.
The model I was thinking of here is more like financial management at a crown corporation or non-profit. Although there is indeed a governance aspect, I tend to agree that it's a stretch to bring fiscal conservatism into the equation. (I highly doubt the students can vote to raise the tuition that their parents have to pay, or at least that they could to that without some degree of extra approval.) This is about managing the funds they have more than anything else.
Old 2012-08-01, 17:08   Link #524
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
The model I was thinking of here is more like financial management at a crown corporation or non-profit. Although there is indeed a governance aspect, I tend to agree that it's a stretch to bring fiscal conservatism into the equation. (I highly doubt the students can vote to raise the tuition that their parents have to pay, or at least that they could to that without some degree of extra approval.) This is about managing the funds they have more than anything else.
It's not your model I disagree with - I think we're on the same page here...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-01, 23:32   Link #525
Beggar

I just found another reason to root against the food research club. It seems to be implied that that they want to save the food research club just so they can have a place to hang out with friends after school. Couldn't they just negotiate with Satsuki for a way to keep their club room. I mean if Satsuki wins the campaign there's not really much to do with the extra club rooms from abolish clubs anyway except give them to students. Even if the food research club gets no budget they at least get a place to hangout. They'll just have to buy their own snacks and it seems like they can get as many free yaoi sticks from the yaoi guy as much as they want. This plan works unless they were just honestly running to get club funding which would make even less of a reason to root for them.

Their campaign slogan is something about saving all the school clubs, but to be honest it hasn't been shown that they care about the other clubs as much as they care about their own. And looking at episode 4 some of these stupid clubs need to go.
Beggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-02, 00:02   Link #526
Xaturas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beggar View Post
They'll just have to buy their own snacks and it seems like they can get as many free yaoi sticks from the yaoi guy as much as they want.
I loled, no matter how you look at it, its sad ^^.
Old 2012-08-02, 00:33   Link #527
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
They'll just have to buy their own snacks and it seems like they can get as many free yaoi sticks from the yaoi guy as much as they want.
and if the girls ever run out of that, they still have Yume's last "Yaoi Stick" to enjoy.
Old 2012-08-02, 00:56   Link #528
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Couldn't they just negotiate with Satsuki for a way to keep their club room. I mean if Satsuki wins the campaign there's not really much to do with the extra club rooms from abolish clubs anyway except give them to students. [...] This plan works unless they were just honestly running to get club funding which would make even less of a reason to root for them.
Well, I think they still can do this if she wins, but right now she's only just a candidate, so there's not necessarily any reason for them to not throw their hat in the ring. If Yuuki's platform happens to gain enough momentum (showing that a lot of people are on on-board with his idea), that could have an influence on whoever ends up winning the election (no one said that a politician had to follow-through on every one of their early campaign promises if they find out that an idea is unpopular and not following it would be strategically better). Also, if the group from their club can actually run a decent campaign, it may show that they're not a "useless club" after all.

Well, and that aside, I think there's the bias we have in the audience, and the bias students of the school might have. Even though we might think right now that Satsuki's got the better platform, that doesn't necessarily mean the school population sees it that way. Given the bullying, they may not care about the plight of the Financial Aid students. So if Satsuki doesn't win because of this policy, and Moheji gets in instead, who knows what will happen. If Yuuki wants to make any difference in the campaign or in the future of the school, he basically has to run, and shouldn't just leave it to chance.
Old 2012-08-02, 11:22   Link #529
EroKing

A freebie.
Old 2012-08-03, 12:30   Link #530
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Cutting cost to reform the scholarship program....

Won't reduce bullying and elitism at all...Petitioning for harsher punishment on the perpetrators, like expulsion and black marking would make more sense.

Also....just what is going on beneath it all. There's no way the school authorities would be this irresponsible, letting the students have free reign over the academy's administration. Has to be something deeper here.
Old 2012-08-03, 12:46   Link #531
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Cutting cost to reform the scholarship program....

Won't reduce bullying and elitism at all...Petitioning for harsher punishment on the perpetrators, like expulsion and black marking would make more sense.
You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar. This is why I put my trust in the Food Club, for sugary things are their field of expertise.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 12:51   Link #532
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

But the Food Research Club isn't pushing for cost cutting...

I don't doubt they can handle it better than Satsuki though.
Old 2012-08-03, 12:52   Link #533
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Well if it's to actually solve bullying then that naturally won't work. If anything it will make the bullying even worse, since the regular students will be bitter about losing club funding and will naturally turn their bitterness on the Scholarship students who benefited from it.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 12:53   Link #534
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Well if it's to actually solve bullying then that naturally won't work. If anything it will make the bullying even worse, since the regular students will be bitter about losing club funding and will naturally turn their bitterness on the Scholarship students who benefited from it.
I have no idea on how the scholarship must solve the bullying issues. Anyone have one ?
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 13:11   Link #535
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Well that's what the manifesto...the top part visible was about anyway.

Assuming that's her real goal and not election rhetoric. It really does look like solving the bullying problem is her real goal though.

It's not the scholars are better off than the others...if anything, the rich kids look down on them due to the finacial disparity.

The scholarship is the problem is what Satsuki thinks.
Old 2012-08-03, 13:28   Link #536
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
I have no idea on how the scholarship must solve the bullying issues. Anyone have one ?
This is part of the reason why I (at least initially) didn't make the same connection that Guardian Enzo and Relentlessflame did. It's also why I'm not totally sold on it yet, although it would probably make for more compelling drama and would also probably tie things together a bit better.

It's not clear to me how the introduction of a scholarship program and/or additional funding for poor students would stop the bullying. Like Haak said, I'm inclined to think it would make things worse (especially since students would be bitter over losing their clubs in order to, presumably, have additional funding for the poorest students).

The only thing I can see right now is this: The poorer students get picked on because they're always busy working and don't socialize as much as the other students do. The fact that they're seemingly always working might lead some students to think they never do anything else (like, say, keep up good personal hygiene - hence the "You stink" bullying ). So scholarships would free up poorer students from having to work as much (if at all), and hence enable them to socialize normally, thus breaking down the boundaries causing the bullying.

It makes some sense to me, but it is a bit of a stretch.

I'm hoping that Episode 5 will shed some further light on things.
Old 2012-08-03, 14:53   Link #537
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar. This is why I put my trust in the Food Club, for sugary things are their field of expertise.
They could easily get the hunks and pretty girls to pose for their displays and label the banner outside "Taste Test for our new Recipes!".

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 15:12   Link #538
Arya

From what I got from the subs, Satsuki's manifest said something like "erase the scholarship students"; this line has two interpretations; Satsuki intend to erase the scholarship system or erase the scholarship student as figure, i.e. as a target. Erasing the scholarship student figure means exactly what Triple_R has already explained in his last post. They will not work anymore and the money Satsuki saved from the abolished clubs will cover the difference with the tuition. The scholarships students won't exist anymore because they would be enrolled as normal students, sort of. I don't know how practical her idea is in detail, but if she had enough money it could work.
Now I'm curious to see what Pakojima will think up to have it both ways They will open a bakery inside the school.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 15:18   Link #539
zgmf-x19a
Divine Gundam Pilot

Was episode 5 aired this week? Is it on a break?
Old 2012-08-03, 15:23   Link #540
hyl
reading #hikaributts

No episodes this and next week due to the olympics. However on august 16th we get episodes 5 and 6 though
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, eroge, politics, romance, school life, seinen