Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-07-07, 11:05   Link #81
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
i don't mind implied Shounen-ai as long as they put in shoujo-ai as well (Well ok, normal love will do too)
as long as the love thingy doesn't mess with the fighting it's cool.

It was kinda shocking, when you realised after the monster attacking, that these people were a few minutes ago, living a normal life, had loving spouses and families, then suddenly they were in a different role.

Especially heart wrenching was the operator talking to the pilot and a tear drip down her face, because she knew he was going to die and when he did, she just kept on working.

It was a great start, it show the human side of them.

Of course i can't help but to notice the Rahxephon/Eva opening style.
well more of a Eva style you see a part of the battle first, then the wind-up to it. Then the rahxephon style where the main fight is in the next episode to make people follow it.

I can't wait for the next, time will tell if the series is any good, but at the moment it has me interested.

Just one problem with the character design, why does all the the faces look like they have sratch marks on their cheeks? its just irritating and ruins the clean look of them.
Old 2004-07-07, 11:34   Link #82
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Lol someone earlier said those scratch mark on the cheek they are blushing. ^^;; it's the same character designer who did Gundam Seed. I tought Gundam Seed was a little bit look too much like sCRYed and Invinite Ryvius back then when I just started watching it but I get used to it after a while when the story kick in. ^^

Just for kick, if anyone seen Hajime no Ippo, that's Makunouchi Ippo VA behind Soushi's voice. ^^
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 14:19   Link #83
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

I actually think the scratch marks/blushing/whatever makes the character designs look more appealing--or, at the very least, less Gundam SEED-esque. Watching Fafner gives me a strong urge to go back and give Saikano another look. ^_^;
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 17:24   Link #84
foxdie

Well, i loved it. The island was very well designed. I loved how they introduced the surroundings in which things take place. I've already got a feel for the geography on this one (something fullmetal alchemist could have used, but that's the only thing wrong with FMA mind you). The enemy mech could be a bit more animated though. It's like he (or she, it) is a still. The music was very very cool. Fits great with the beach island theme, very unique. I also like all the cool terms they throw around., makes me feel smart.
I''ll stick with this one like glue.
foxdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 18:21   Link #85
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

one thing, anyone find the use of the terms Siegfried and Fafner strange? I think the Siegfried is the hero who killed Fafner, but in the anime they are systems working together?

I hate the ED... I don't think it has any "angela flavor" in it
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 19:07   Link #86
Mugen-X
BadAss

Soukyu no Fafner (TV)

Someone tell me about this anime what is it about is it any good it just came out so if u watched it give you're thoughts on it so far.
Mugen-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 19:10   Link #87
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

look in the fansub forum, there's a nice chunky thread about it
it's pretty good so far, sort of RahXephon/evangelion-ish
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 19:19   Link #88
ZeppelinJ0
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
I think the Siegfried is the hero who killed Fafner, but in the anime they are systems working together?
Hmm... interesting eh?? I'm sure that signifies a 'twist' to come in the story! Stay tund!
ZeppelinJ0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 03:22   Link #89
JediNight
キズランダム

I think a lot of people are being overly critical of the series. Anime has been around for a solid 30 years now -- theres bound to be similarities in almost every series you watch (except for maybe Lain hehe). So stop trying to compare it to Eva or RahXephon or whatever.

The mecha is very unique-looking if you ask me -- I don't remember seeing anything like it at least, especially in its flight-mode.
Spoiler:

Think about things like that and try to not compare it to other shows and just accept it for what it is.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 13:26   Link #90
Tellu54
Banned

The mech design doesn't really seem that derivative to me; I mean since they're all massive humanoid fighting robots they're all gonna look FAIRLY similar, but I can't say that the Fafner mechs would seem to follow any particular style.
The show hasn't succeeded in creating anything REALLY distinct, like say, Rouran did, but it definately is its own thing.
You can look at the designers page here.
http://www11.ocn.ne.jp/~kiwi/
Tellu54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 00:22   Link #91
dreamless

finally watched episode 2, now I can say that there's at least one thing I love about the series, the OP!!!! I love the OP animation and the song Shangri-La. too bad I don't like the ED too much...

So far imo the show has only some very minor and insignificant similarities to EVA, the storyline seems to be progressing very differently, there are already two love triangles, and I hope the character relationships will develop more like RahXephon than EVA...

Now I like the girl whose dad died at the attack a lot... well, at first I think she's a boy, until she speaks...
Old 2004-07-09, 00:28   Link #92
144M_HYPERION
Miracle Yang !!

The first thing that grab my attention for this series is the BGM. The first few min BGM is just grandeur.

As for the anime, I think this is a very interesting series. Although it share some similarities with EVA, the series still really stand out on its own.

P.S. How come mecha type anime is always so obsessed with German word ???
144M_HYPERION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 00:50   Link #93
dreamless

Hmm... I don't see why Festum/Festive is incompatible with humanity's survival.. currently I think there's much more to the human vs. Festum/Festive war it seems... kinda reminds me of Jovian vs. human war in Nadesico...
Old 2004-07-09, 00:54   Link #94
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Hmm... I don't see why Festum/Festive is incompatible with humanity's survival.. currently I think there's much more to the human vs. Festum/Festive war it seems... kinda reminds me of Jovian vs. human war in Nadesico...
!!! good point. There is that possibilty.
Old 2004-07-09, 01:03   Link #95
Jeebs
Ooga Booga

Send a message via AIM to Jeebs
Quote:
one thing, anyone find the use of the terms Siegfried and Fafner strange? I think the Siegfried is the hero who killed Fafner, but in the anime they are systems working together?
(
The hero that slays Fafnir in the Norse myth is named Sigurd isn't he?
Jeebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 01:14   Link #96
Secca
nya`
*Artist

LoL I also tought there is another possibilty, that they are just evil aliens like in the Mars Attack movie. "We come in peace." *ZAP* *ZAP* ^^;;
Old 2004-07-09, 01:36   Link #97
supra33202

New series: Soukyuu no Fafner

Have you watched the first episode of Soukyuu no Fafner? Is it good?
supra33202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 02:42   Link #98
Tellu54
Banned

To the person who said that the Festum's goal is not incompatable with mankind's existence, here's something from the background docs on the show:
This is probably a pretty big spoiler, or maybe not, because it was in the background docs which have so far been good about not revealing too much.

Spoiler:

BTW It's "Festum" or maybe "Festom", "Festive" is wrong.
Tellu54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 07:13   Link #99
dreamless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebs
The hero that slays Fafnir in the Norse myth is named Sigurd isn't he?
Sigurd and Siegfried are the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellu54
To the person who said that the Festum's goal is not incompatable with mankind's existence, here's something from the background docs on the show:
This is probably a pretty big spoiler, or maybe not, because it was in the background docs which have so far been good about not revealing too much.

Spoiler:

BTW It's "Festum" or maybe "Festom", "Festive" is wrong.
Well,
Spoiler:

Hmm... I see Festive in Aoi-Anime's translation... anyway anyone has any idea where does the word Festum/Festom come from? I also noticed the term Lindblum in the second episode...
Old 2004-07-09, 08:01   Link #100
JediNight
キズランダム

Quote:
Hmm... I see Festive in Aoi-Anime's translation... anyway anyone has any idea where does the word Festum/Festom come from? I also noticed the term Lindblum in the second episode...
I believe its a derivative of Festus aka the man who sold his soul to the devil in that one famous play or book or whatever. They are the children/spawn of Festus I guess since Festum would be a plural of Festus. (Like Lillum is plural for Lillith offspring in Eva). And no, it's not Festive -- Aoi had a rush release so they didn't do proper research into the terms from the series.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote