AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-10-04, 17:21   Link #1
Aniawn
A shoulder to lean on

Send a message via AIM to Aniawn
Neon Genesis Evangelion

I'm confused here, which isn't hard for me to get sometimes. Can someone explain the differences between NGE: Platinum, NGE: Death & Rebirth, NGE: Genesis Reborn, NGE: Resurrection, and NGE: The End of Evangelion, to each other and that of the original 26 episodes?
Aniawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-04, 18:12   Link #2
Just a subtitler ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniawn
I'm confused here, which isn't hard for me to get sometimes. Can someone explain the differences between NGE: Platinum, NGE: Death & Rebirth, NGE: Genesis Reborn, NGE: Resurrection, and NGE: The End of Evangelion, to each other and that of the original 26 episodes?
Okay, here we go.

IN THE BEGINNING, there was Neon Genesis Evangelion. Lo, and we looked upon it, and saw that it was good. ;p (Your mileage may vary.)

Four episodes had additional footage added for the Director's Cut; we recently released them and 25-26 on two new discs. (This is "Genesis Reborn" and "Resurrection", respectively.)

After the series was over, and the ending was deemed as bizarre (which it is, though I like it), a new ending was planned as a movie. It took longer to animate than they thought, though, so they ended up releasing it in two parts: first as Death and Rebirth, then as End of Evangelion. They came out in the US at the same time, if I'm not mistaken, but from Manga and not us.

Now we're working on the Platinum release, with the remastered video and a new 5.1 mix (and we're also going back through and reworking the subs ;p).
AvatarADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-04, 19:46   Link #3
Aniawn
A shoulder to lean on

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarADV
Okay, here we go.

IN THE BEGINNING, there was Neon Genesis Evangelion. Lo, and we looked upon it, and saw that it was good. ;p (Your mileage may vary.)

Four episodes had additional footage added for the Director's Cut; we recently released them and 25-26 on two new discs. (This is "Genesis Reborn" and "Resurrection", respectively.)

After the series was over, and the ending was deemed as bizarre (which it is, though I like it), a new ending was planned as a movie. It took longer to animate than they thought, though, so they ended up releasing it in two parts: first as Death and Rebirth, then as End of Evangelion. They came out in the US at the same time, if I'm not mistaken, but from Manga and not us.

Now we're working on the Platinum release, with the remastered video and a new 5.1 mix (and we're also going back through and reworking the subs ;p).
Thanks AvatarADV, that helps to clear things up for me. I'll take it that if I want to truely enjoy Neon Genesis Evangelion in all its glory, I'll need the Platinum releases, plus Death & Rebirth and The End of Evangelion.
Old 2004-10-04, 20:17   Link #4
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Thanks AvatarADV, that helps to clear things up for me. I'll take it that if I want to truely enjoy Neon Genesis Evangelion in all its glory, I'll need the Platinum releases, plus Death & Rebirth and The End of Evangelion.
Yes... Yes you will. ^^
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-04, 20:24   Link #5
ReggieM

AvatarADV: I don't know how much you have to do with the Platinum project - but I have to say that your company is doing a wicked job! I just bought a home theatre system and watched one of the episodes - the 5.1 sounded great! Keep up the good work! (My only complaint - I'm too impatient! I can't wait 2 months for the next volume!).
ReggieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-04, 20:38   Link #6
Aniawn
A shoulder to lean on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
Yes... Yes you will. ^^
Ooh... and one benefit I just realized of getting the Platinum releases is that my sister won't have to keep borrowing my Evangelion DVDs, I'll just let her have those and keep the the Platinums for myself. Looks like I know what I'll be having her get me for X-Mas this year.
Old 2004-10-04, 20:44   Link #7
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Ooh... and one benefit I just realized of getting the Platinum releases is that my sister won't have to keep borrowing my Evangelion DVDs, I'll just let her have those and keep the the Platinums for myself. Looks like I know what I'll be having her get me for X-Mas this year.

Now that being cheap and economical! At the same time it also provides justification for purchasing the new DVDs.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-04, 21:15   Link #8
Aniawn
A shoulder to lean on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper

Now that being cheap and economical! At the same time it also provides justification for purchasing the new DVDs.
You said it. Now I just have to find a way to get that Last Exile: The First Movie Ltd. Coll. Box, and the DVDs that just happen to go in the box, from my parents.
Old 2004-10-05, 00:14   Link #9
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

AvatarADV, just out of curiousity, would the Platinum release include Death and Rebirth and The End of Evangelion? Would they be in their entirety ( i.e. with the repetitious segments as well )? Would Platinum release be sold straight off as a boxed set or as several DVDs?

Thanks for answering.
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-05, 12:24   Link #10
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
AvatarADV, just out of curiousity, would the Platinum release include Death and Rebirth and The End of Evangelion? Would they be in their entirety ( i.e. with the repetitious segments as well )? Would Platinum release be sold straight off as a boxed set or as several DVDs?

Thanks for answering.
The license for End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth is held by Manga Entertainment I believe and not by ADV so (as far as I know) there won't be a platinum version of the movies .

PS Correct me if i'm wrong
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-06, 13:45   Link #11
Aniawn
A shoulder to lean on

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
The license for End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth is held by Manga Entertainment I believe and not by ADV so (as far as I know) there won't be a platinum version of the movies .

PS Correct me if i'm wrong
You are correct 7thMethuselah, if we're lucky, though, maybe ADV can work out some kind of deal with Manga Entertainment that would allow ADV to make Platinum releases of Death & Rebirth and The End of Evangelion (personally, though, I like the original ending to the series).
Old 2004-12-07, 22:50   Link #12
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Okay... I'm really confused now. What would be the optimal order to watch them, then? (I've just finished the original series and am confused). Correct me if I'm wrong:

1. Original Series
2. Death and Rebirth
3. End of Eva (movie)
4. Director's Cut 21-26

Thx, folks.
Ambience Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-08, 13:29   Link #13
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambience Blue
Okay... I'm really confused now. What would be the optimal order to watch them, then? (I've just finished the original series and am confused). Correct me if I'm wrong:

1. Original Series
2. Death and Rebirth
3. End of Eva (movie)
4. Director's Cut 21-26

Thx, folks.
that's the correct order, but Death and Rebirth is only for hardcore fans, it's a recap and the first half of End of evangelion.
Old 2004-12-08, 14:22   Link #14
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
that's the correct order, but Death and Rebirth is only for hardcore fans, it's a recap and the first half of End of evangelion.
What do you mean, it's only for hardcore fans? If it means having the endurance to sit through it all, I'm up to the task XD
Ambience Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-08, 16:04   Link #15
Briareos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarADV
So will/does the Platinum edition feature 1) the "Director's Cut" episodes, 2) the Director's Cut episodes and the original episodes, or 3) simply the original episodes?
Briareos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-08, 16:24   Link #16
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambience Blue
What do you mean, it's only for hardcore fans? If it means having the endurance to sit through it all, I'm up to the task XD
It's because in the entire 110 minute movie there are only a few scenes that aren't featured in the series or in End of Evangelion. However it's a good recap to try to comprehend it all
Old 2004-12-08, 17:20   Link #17
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

I would really like it, though, if Manga Ent.s license over the Eva Movies died, and ADV could release a proper DTS version of the films (Like the recently released DVD of EOE in Japan)
Tabiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-08, 17:47   Link #18
Pepperidge
Dissatisfied Canadian

Send a message via AIM to Pepperidge Send a message via MSN to Pepperidge
Avatar, you wouldn't happen to know if the 30 second next episode previews are going to be included as extras, would you? It would be nice to see all of them on volume 5, since it's only going to be three episodes.

Also, you know how those images superimposed over the tanks in the end of (DC) episode 23' are removed in the remastered version? Any chance the unremastered version of that scene with the images intact can be included in the extras of volume 6? As an "alternate ending" or something?

Thanks a lot!
Pepperidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-02, 06:53   Link #19
stonedzombie
またね

Send a message via AIM to stonedzombie
yea, i hate to awaken a dead thread (for a great series) but i just had a question that has been bugging me...........

Spoiler:
stonedzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-02, 07:21   Link #20
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

Spoiler:
Quajafrie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mecha, psychological