AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 15 Rating
Perfect 10 137 69.19%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 19.19%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 8.08%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 2.53%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.51%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.51%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-01-12, 09:17   Link #41
velocity7

Most accounts, albeit some minor changes due to the way the story is told (which can't be helped, of course).
Old 2007-01-12, 09:39   Link #42
Anacone
Lazy Poster

Send a message via MSN to Anacone
Spoiler:

Hmm...I'm quite lazy to give rates because I try think too much and there might come better eps and so on... I can't just decide...

Last edited by Anacone; 2007-01-12 at 09:49.
Old 2007-01-12, 10:32   Link #43
Mentar
Banned

I can't give anything but a 10 this time (only my third one on Animesuki). Not just that the technical merit is outstanding again, the episode also had all of the emotional impact you could wish for, and the wonderful final twist sealed the deal.

Finally, Mai is whole again - because Yuuichi returned, a critical part which was missing in her is back: "Hope". What a wondeful symbolism. That's what's turning great episodes into awesome eps.

The 10 is fully deserved.
Old 2007-01-12, 10:56   Link #44
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

If this episode does not cement the thoughts of getting BOTH the DVD & the upcoming Blu-Ray releases for those watching and enjoying the show, I do not know what will.
Old 2007-01-12, 11:18   Link #45
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

My reflection by now is that, it is given thus far that a miracle costs a life and a memory. Strangely though, hope seems to bear much less of an overhead. It makes you wonder what seems to be a better bargain to ask for...

And yes, Blu-ray version of Kanon (hopefully not just purely upscaled) is becoming more and more tempting for me.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2007-01-12, 11:24   Link #46
velocity7

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
And yes, Blu-ray version of Kanon (hopefully not just purely upscaled) is becoming more and more tempting for me.
Where did you hear Blu-ray from?
Old 2007-01-12, 11:32   Link #47
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
My reflection by now is that, it is given thus far that a miracle costs a life and a memory. Strangely though, hope seems to bear much less of an overhead. It makes you wonder what seems to be a better bargain to ask for... ~

While it is true that Kanon is a show filled with miracles, not all the miracles come with such a heavy price. That particular price is for the foxes who choose to take a Human form.

Miracles come in all shapes and sizes, so to put it one way.

Mai's story is also quite unique from the other arcs... in that epic sort of way. Well... if it had been animated in full, that is. I have long accepted that this run is all but a homerun for our dear beloved Ayu( since her arc is the very pillar of the Kanon mystery), but it still pains me that Mai's story will not be told in full.

Cheers.
Old 2007-01-12, 11:44   Link #48
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

I almost thought I was watching F/sn in the beginning.

Everything is pretty much well explained, so not much to complement. KyoAni did a good job in telling her background story in one episode. However, I do wish the ending could be prolonged slightly a bit more --- after all those emotions being built up, I consider the ending a little abrupt. Of course, we can't have the "3 of us happily everafter" ending since U1 now has to move on to another girl, but at least extend that barley field scene in the end a little longer, even if it's just a few seconds. IMO, it'll have a greater impact on the audience that way.

It sounds like I'm (the only one) complaining here. Don't take me wrong, I enjoyed the episode. With so much expectation put on it, KyoAni surely has done an amazing job so far on Kanon. After each episode, I have the feeling "Ah, it's so worthed it to wait a whole long everlasting week just for this one episode". With that being said, I feel sorry for AIR. Game-wise, AIR's story has a way greater impact, but the TV series just didn't do the game justice.

Getting a little off-topic here, pardon me.
Old 2007-01-12, 11:51   Link #49
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Just...... um, wow.... speechless for a change.
@skane: yeah, I understand the needs that drive the story arcs as they are but I feel like Mai almost deserved her own series
@quuchan: personally, I agree that the game AIR was more compelling in an epic sense for me than the game Kanon but then I've got a lifetime interest in asian philosophy and religion and how it affects culture (and cultural entertainment).
Old 2007-01-12, 12:23   Link #50
LCeh

I could just sense the potential in Mai's arc while I was watching this episode even without playing the game nor having watched the toei's version, but in the end, I think it ended a bit too quickly.

I think this arc could have been better if it had one or a half more episode, maybe coming from Makoto's arc, since her arc lasted pretty long, it felt.

But with that said, it was a great episode. KyoAni did the best they could with the time given, I just wish that more time could be given to Mai's arc. I can't help but feel a little down since Mai's my top 2 favorite girl in Kanon along with Shiori, who probably won't get the time she deserves either.
Old 2007-01-12, 12:28   Link #51
Julius Firefocht

This episode is simply beautiful. I was weeping tears of joy at the insane animation, and then I was simply weeping for Mai's tragedy and her return. If I can give a 20 out of 10, I will.

It was so perfectly done, everything from music to camera angle to animation to voice acting, everything was perfect.

KyoAni is blessed by Haruhi's own powers, there is nothing else left to be said. This episode has reached the point when I can no longer comment and nitpick at supposed weaknesses, I can only sit back and throughly enjoy the artform that KyoAni has provided us with.

Oh, and I love loli-Mai! Especially with bunny ears on!
Rightousness is our Shield, Faith our armour and Hatred our weapon.
Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.
~~~~~

Blog featuring anime, manga, seiyuus, tabletop wargames (WH40K) and everything in between: http://nk-ds.org/
Old 2007-01-12, 12:39   Link #52
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
i think my heart just skipped 10 beats...absolutly scared me to death i think ill need to carm down before writing my opinions...

*breath in**breath out*
Spoiler:

a well deserved 10/10 in my books...i think the emotional impact is more than what happened to makoto in the end for some reason :/

edit: and oh forgot to mention...viva la shiori! ive been waiting for her to hit the spot light

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS

Last edited by Deathkillz; 2007-01-12 at 12:50.
Old 2007-01-12, 12:47   Link #53
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

The destruction of the classroom was jaw dropping enough to merit it a 10, Mai jumping from the third floor staircase to slay the (second) last demon was as mesmerizing as the original game CG that depicted that scene, giving it another 10.

On top of that, the faithful adaptation of Mai's emotional and back story scene for scene (which nearly ends in tragedy) from the game more than doubles all of the above. And last, but not least, Bunny-Girl Mai! (Both the chibi-one and the present one. )

Of course, as is usual, the poll only gives 10 points, so a 10 it is. I don't remember ever giving a high frequency of 10s for a series on ASuki before, besting even my voting record on Suzumiya Haruhi. Kyo-Ani continues to impress.

I'm glad I didn't watch Omni's screenshots before watching the ep, because I wanted to see whether Kyo-Ani would let Mai live. I'm so glad they let her live, as she's been waiting so long.

Oh and has anyone noticed that when chibi-Mai stands in the barley field basked in the yellow sunshine, she resembles another loli that is also sword wielding and loves to eat melon-bread? Not to mention everytime chibi-Mai speaks, I can't help but think of Nanoha, for obvious reasons.

In case anyone hasn't noticed, with the exception of some episodes of Inu-Yasha, which was co-produced with Sunrise, Kyo-Ani has ventured into the unknown producing and airing their first ever episode 15 on their own, and they did it in style, signalling their intent to tell the industry that they can do a 24-26 episode season without compromising quality.

Next week is Shiori-chan! I'd be lying if I didn't say I wasn't looking forward to this. (Reasons are obvious, no? )

Spoiler for about her:

Expect our "friend" to give this episode an unrealistic low score of 1-5. His unique voting pattern stands out from the rest that I can pretty much read him like a book. In fact I double dare him to prove me wrong by giving this episode the high score it deserves.
Old 2007-01-12, 13:08   Link #54
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...

One word: Amazing!

10/10

Definitely had my emotions running high.
Old 2007-01-12, 13:29   Link #55
i0td

This entire episode was beautiful throughout, from the "demon" battles to the awakening of Mai's past and all the way down to the final moments in the classroom. Loved this arc. Looking forward to more Kanon.
Old 2007-01-12, 13:30   Link #56
Oberon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian View Post
Spoiler for 15:

After reading this bit about Mai's arc ending in the game...
Spoiler:

Well, so much for my rant. If it's not as I have interpreted it and there's something more to it or a different outcome, feel free to correct me, as I haven't played the game.
Old 2007-01-12, 13:41   Link #57
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Mai jumping off the roof, flipping and fighting the demon = pwnage. That scene was excuted beautifully.

Man if Mai making the snow bunny zoo for her mom wasnt the cutest/saddest thing ever.....
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing

Last edited by White Manju Bun; 2007-01-12 at 13:56.
Old 2007-01-12, 13:47   Link #58
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Spoiler for on Mai's ending in-game...:

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2007-01-12, 13:52   Link #59
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Game spoiler.

Spoiler:
Old 2007-01-12, 13:56   Link #60
Darcean
Life at 180BPM

Send a message via AIM to Darcean Send a message via MSN to Darcean Send a message via Yahoo to Darcean
Awesome episode, 10/10, KyoAni is excellent in their portrayal of the story
Closed Thread