AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > sola

Notices

View Poll Results: sola - Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 44 33.85%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 47 36.15%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 12.31%
7 out of 10 : Good 16 12.31%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.31%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.54%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 1.54%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-30, 12:09   Link #41
TigerII
Pilot in Training

I agree with what others have said. I don't think the cans mean they are still alive. It was just left from when they were alive.

Well, wasn't the complete tragic ending I said from episode one. I would say was a fourth tragic and three fourths happy. Aono got a second chance and both Matsuri and Yorito(Paper) got to die together.
Old 2007-06-30, 18:13   Link #42
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Well, it's finally over.

Overall series thoughts:

Two parts Drama, one part Romance, one part Action, half part Cheesy Yakusoku Cliche. Season it with excellent voice acting*, extremely pleasing character designs, an awesome music and nicely done backgrounds. And of course, right before the oven, don't forget to add the final key secret ingredient--bittersweet emotional impact.

The result is the pleasing taste Sola leaves in my mouth. Though it has its technical flaws, and they're easy to notice and criticize, that warm, fuzzy flavor is enough to leave a smile on my face. I'm not the type of person that can take a (fake) position of objectiveness in order to judge a series, so it's hard for me to rate one. I'm also someone who can hardly care for the technical flaws of any series, if the emotional impact is good enough. And that's what happens with Sola. You can see the cake is not perfect, that there's no balance in its outward features, that it's not really enjoyable from the outside. But grab a bite of it--you'll notice it tastes much better than it looks.

*With the obvious exception of Yorito

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2007-06-30, 18:28   Link #43
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
Spoiler for ep 13:
Old 2007-06-30, 22:45   Link #44
wontaek

Well, I hope one of the DVD episode fills in the missing time in the final episode. What do you think about the chance that there might be Koyori route ( A.K.A. Loli route ) in the Sola game? I know many Korean otakus are demanding for one.
Old 2007-06-30, 23:33   Link #45
cshard

@Wontaek
[I think the loli route would be satisfied by Mayuko's inclusion.
The inclusion of Koyori would only satisfy the, pardon the Shuffle reference, lolipedo route.

@ Deathkillz
Spoiler for burning spirits!:

Last edited by cshard; 2007-06-30 at 23:45. Reason: realised I didn't need to spoiler that... -_-'
Old 2007-07-01, 00:21   Link #46
arkxkra
全力全開

Spoiler for Final:

the ending song call wat name and who sing it??who know??

Last edited by arkxkra; 2007-07-01 at 08:07. Reason: edit
Old 2007-07-01, 10:54   Link #47
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Spoiler for What if..:
Old 2007-07-01, 12:54   Link #48
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshard View Post
@Wontaek
[I think the loli route would be satisfied by Mayuko's inclusion.
The inclusion of Koyori would only satisfy the, pardon the Shuffle reference, lolipedo route.

@ Deathkillz
Spoiler for burning spirits!:
I wonder if it would be possible to chose Takeshi as your character instead of Yorito. That might be interesting as well.
Old 2007-07-01, 18:31   Link #49
Shiori-chan

I actually hated aono since short, but when u see the last episodes, u really start to feel sorry for her, loved the ending alot although I didnt want matsuri to die, then again I knew it would happen from episode 1 but still
Old 2007-07-01, 19:10   Link #50
Kai1
watashi wa L desu~

I loved the ending. I felt the last few episodes were a bit dry and I'm not into the fighting scenes of matsuri/aono.
But the final ep is just so beautifully made, touching and emotional. It rounded up the series nicely.

And the ED song is cool too.
Old 2007-07-01, 19:32   Link #51
TigerII
Pilot in Training

13 subbed is out.
Old 2007-07-01, 19:43   Link #52
Asai
Nya? ^_^
*Fansubber

I liked the ending a lot. I really wasn't sure how it was going to end, but... well, they did a good job. Excellent ending to one of the best series of the year. ^^
Old 2007-07-01, 21:07   Link #53
kaerstan01
c'mon wimp!

love the ending!! such a bitter sweet one.... *sniff* i love it when the main guy dies lol^^
Old 2007-07-01, 21:19   Link #54
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Kaer that is mean to all heroes in all stories.

Well the main story is closed but I would like to see a second season involving Takeshi and May(Forgot rest). I mean sure he is not trying to kill Yakas anymore but they still have a story to tell.
Old 2007-07-01, 21:34   Link #55
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Yay a show with closure!

Spoiler for following the trend:
Old 2007-07-01, 22:44   Link #56
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Well, I'm pissed that the couple is deader than door nails and Aono came out on top. Oh, well....
Old 2007-07-01, 22:59   Link #57
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I guess it was an ok end for a show that turned sour for me in the end. While I'm a bit sad about Matsuri, I feel nothing towards Yorito who ruined the series for me near the end. I mean, in the beginning, it's obvious he's gaga over Matsuri, but in eps 11 he suggests to Aono to leave to another city with him so she wouldn't be sad. Then he does another unexplained 180 in the next episode saying that he'll never go with Aono or something to that extent. So yeah, when Yorito bit the dust in this eps, I was actually glad for once that the protagonist has died (which to my knowledge I have never felt before).

Overall series grade: C.
The mysterious pasts of the main 3 was intruiging, and it had some touching moments here and there. And of course, Aono as psycho-moe was great, but Mana stole the show for me as one of the most considerate and compassionate characters I've seen in recent anime history.

However, major inconsistencies concerning Yorito's part left me with bitter taste in my mouth, and it was enough to knock my grade down by a whole letter since his motivations was IMO the most important part of the show.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2007-07-01, 23:36   Link #58
iamthebest22

Pretty wierd ending though... I didn't quite like it as much, thought it could have been better, but I guess that they might have been saving it for later on... Anyways, Yeah I take the two bottles at the end that Matsuri and Yorito are still alive. Guess i watched too mcuh of those Fate stay night plot types that this sort of disappointed me instead. Still was good, it's just that I had wished for more...
Old 2007-07-01, 23:44   Link #59
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Is it bad that i've been more interested in mayuko and takeshi's story for abit now and that hasnt really changed with the final episode.

I guess I missed those nice Matsuri x Yorito moments. My interest kinda dropped off when she moved out and the whole fight scenes later on really didnt help me any.

But I will say for the first half of the series and the lovely swordsman x eternal loli story it was a series well worth watching and im quite interested to see what the content of the DVD episodes is.
Old 2007-07-01, 23:47   Link #60
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
That was a beautiful ending. Some of us expected how it turned out, but that doesn't make it any less beautiful. It's just so pretty I can nearly cry.

I might have cried, in fact, if the story presentation hadn't shifted as it did prior to the finale. This story is about the characters and their relationships, but by the end of the series the focus seems to be the battle, which itself doesn't feel as climactic due to the previous battles, and we don't really get to see some of the relationships beyond the superficial level. So not only does the focus of the series feel a bit lost by that point, but we're not given the time or emotional tug that we need to really feel pulled into the final events. They just seem to "happen". I figured it might happen this way, and it disappointed me.

The last half, though... That was wonderful. It took a bit of time to re-establish the emotional ties that the fighting really loosened, as well as to adapt to the shift to Aono as the protagonist (especially after the "loss of focus" issue from before), but it did it, and did it beautifully.

Random notes:
- It really bugged me that Original Yorito's "way for Matsuri to see the sky" was mentioned before. The scene we see in this episode was touching, but the earlier mention of it was distracting, and not in a good way.
- We finally really get to see how Matsuri and Aono have progressed emotionally by seeing the flashbacks in this episode. They were wonderful scenes, but if we'd really gotten to see them this way before, the final battle would have been much more meaningful and emotionally entangling.
- Takeshi shaved. NO!!
- It was adorable and appropriate to see Sae still obsessed about her hige dandii, but this was kind of ridiculous. No, REALLY ridiculous.
- Although I don't think the music distortion worked at all (the effect fell flat and ended up being distracting, imo), the fashion sense joke was hilarious and touching.
- It really bothers me that there doesn't even seem to be hope for Mayuko's situation. Of course, that wouldn't really fit into the story too well, and it would slightly diminish the meaning of Takeshi's continued devotion, but... it kind of stings.

All in all, a wonderful series, but one, I think, that failed to reach its full potential. Kyoani, I want a 24 episode remake, please. Well, I joke about that, but don't mean to imply that Nomad did a Toei-level travesty, just that it fell short on a few points that hurt the series as a whole. It's atmostphere still makes it one of the most beautiful series I've seen.

I'm eagerly awaiting the DVDs, whatever their content.
Closed Thread