AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-27, 17:08   Link #17941
Kenju of the Right
Imagine Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kyon View Post
or to be the lead protagonist of a novel series herp derp
Blasphemy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Acqua: With this, I win.
Touma: *Negates the attack*
Acqua: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
*gets stabbed*

Golem: Brofist!
Touma: Come at me, bro!
Golem: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
*gets destroyed*
That's how it's done
Intellectual Village: Volume 6 Chapter 3
Mitou Shoukan:// Blood Sign Volume 1 Chapter 1
Heavy Object: Volume 10 Complete
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk: Volume 7 Chapter 2
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Volume 12 Chapter 12
Rokka no Yuusha Volume 4 Chapter 1

Old 2012-03-27, 17:13   Link #17942
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kyon View Post
or to be the lead protagonist of a novel series herp derp

He's protag material. Though he's not the best example.
Old 2012-03-27, 17:31   Link #17943
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

As promised, the rest of my impressions of chap 22 to 36:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Road so far...

(*Insert 'Carry on my Wayward Son' in the background*)

If I have to name the 'main character' of this volume, it would have to be the 'Kihara Family'. Just like how the 'main character' of volume 3 is the 'United States'. We learn alot more about the Kihara as a whole in this volume than any before, while individually we get two separate backstories on two of them. Kihara Kagun is probably a character that is a long time in the making, simply put you don't have a family made up of the scums of the Earth without at least one of them growing a conscience. I like Enshuu's backstory because it wasn't a sob story about her getting kidnapped and imprisoned, it was actually a horror story of how you cannot contain a Kihara.

I still have no idea what did Shuri do to Sigyn... And how did Utgard-Loki get knocked out by an illusion ?

I said before that the main character of volume 4 is the Kihara Family, but if I had to pick a protagonist for this volume it would be Maria. Ever since she appeared, she's been taking the spotlight for most of the scenes, primary because she's the most knowledgeable of three girls when it comes to Supernatural abilities. She displayed an almost Kamijou-like quality with how she could infer Marian's capabilities through her actions even though this is the first time she's fighting a Magician, at the same time there's that lecture she gave to Enshuu as she delivered a long awaited beat-down... Btw, on hindsight, I guess it should have been obvious that there's no way Enshuu was actually becoming those characters she had named But it was funny when Enshuu tried to use Kamijou Touma's thought pattern and Maria countered by saying that might only scare her sister

Everything comes full circle with the connection between Maria-Kagun-Marian, which once again on hindsight, the student-teacher relationship between Maria and Kagun should have been obvious The lovers relationship with Marian on the other hand was not expected Since her introduction Marian has been depicted as this cruel, unstoppable monster, to have her rage like this over one person was something I didn't expect to see .

Okay, I'm also going to need a full explanation about the whole alter-dimension thingy because I get the feeling this isn't going to adapt well in the Anime

And now my favourite moment, Maria probably spent the entire volume hearing Kamijou's name being thrown left and right, she herself probably knows a few things beforehand but didn't think much about them. But then to see him in person and actually living up to the rumours that she had heard (I blame it partly on how the narrative hyped it up ) that must have been quite emotional for her. Kamijou on the other hand shows his leet Paragon skills as he persuaded Marian from ending the world, and it looks like his observation skills have improved sharply as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This time it took me thirty minutes to write this
Old 2012-03-27, 17:37   Link #17944
Ashaman

Huh, re-reading Vol 19 - The awesome C film Saiai dragged Hamazura to watch then missed herself was by Beverly Seethrough. The one from Liberal Arts City.

Interesting. I wonder what other cameo's there are hidden in the main series referencing Railgun SS stuff.
Old 2012-03-27, 19:35   Link #17945
Twi

I'm more interested in the martial artist girl...she'd be an excellent addition to the harem and maybe even an instructor for him. Imagine them working up a sweat in a ring, and...No, I'll save that for the fan fiction section.

But did anyone think that they'd attack the tournament on the first day?
I mean I expected the Kihara's to pop up in the last round and screw everyone else over.
Old 2012-03-27, 20:36   Link #17946
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
I'm more interested in the martial artist girl...she'd be an excellent addition to the harem and maybe even an instructor for him. Imagine them working up a sweat in a ring, and...No, I'll save that for the fan fiction section.

But did anyone think that they'd attack the tournament on the first day?
I mean I expected the Kihara's to pop up in the last round and screw everyone else over.
Nah, I don't have high expectations for Opendays, her role in this volume is similiar to Shuri in that they respresent the people in the outside world and how they view the supernaturalish powers of both Kihara and Gremlin. I can't see her or Shuri getting involved after this.

Of course nothing is confirmed for Maria as well but I feel she has a much better chance due to the combination of her connections to Academy City partiularly her sister, having an actual foreshadow in NT2, but more importantly is her witnessing the attle of the Haxx at the end... Thats got to count for something if Kamachi picked her right?

Oh as for your last point, Kamachi isnt the type to play by convention If he gives you a tournament set up, u can be sure its not going to be a tournament
Old 2012-03-27, 21:09   Link #17947
leukrota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post

I still have no idea what did Shuri do to Sigyn... And how did Utgard-Loki get knocked out by an illusion ?
There's no clue for Shiri/Sigyn... but I can play a bit with what happened between Utgard and Ransuu.

Starting with the assumption that both Utgard's magic and Ransuu's spores provoke the subject to become immersed in a nightmare like illusion. Ransuu's attack would have to be released from a mechanical device and probably doesn't act immediately so quite likely Ransuu launched his stuff first and then Utgard used his magic on Ransuu before being affected himself by the spores. That way both would be "simultaneously" affected by their opponents attack. Now, I'm not sure if they died or simply became trapped in illusions but if they did die I would say it could have been form the stress of confronting "every" bad guy's nemesis, Kamijou Touma
Old 2012-03-27, 21:41   Link #17948
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Of course nothing is confirmed for Maria as well but I feel she has a much better chance due to the combination of her connections to Academy City partiularly her sister, having an actual foreshadow in NT2, but more importantly is her witnessing the attle of the Haxx at the end... Thats got to count for something if Kamachi picked her right?
I loled because while Mikoto gets to defeat cannon fodders in Index series, Maria got real darkness personified: Kihara Enshuu and Bersi, Marian, Othinus, Touma's legendary mode, Invisible Thing, Othinus, Fiamma and Ollerus all in one row .
Old 2012-03-27, 22:04   Link #17949
Acer
Death to the infidels!

I imagine her thinking about all these things while taking a bath, seriously, what she saw must be enough to let a normal person crazy.
Old 2012-03-27, 22:09   Link #17950
desrtsku
Nympholept

2 God Tier, 2 Upper High Tier, 1 (debatable) high tier, 1 high middle tier, 1 middle middle Tier and 1 low Tier. She even broke Accelerator's encounter record
Old 2012-03-27, 22:51   Link #17951
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:

Of course nothing is confirmed for Maria as well but I feel she has a much better chance due to the combination of her connections to Academy City partiularly her sister, having an actual foreshadow in NT2, but more importantly is her witnessing the battle of the Haxx at the end... Thats got to count for something if Kamachi picked her right?
Agreed, I also have high hopes for Maria's role in the future. My dreams of her becoming Touma's personal maid may be sort of far fetched, but I believe strongly it can come to pass. Perhaps she'll tag along with Touma, Ollerus and Fiamma? I really, really hope so. To me, the most impressive thing about Maria is the fact that she can fight that well as a Level 2. When she was first introduced, we heard she was a genius at psychic power development, so finding out she was a Level 2 seemed like a cop out. But really, being able to fight like that at Level 2 means she really is a genius. Perhaps she is like Tsuchimikado, and only started the curriculum recently? If so, more props for her.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Old 2012-03-27, 22:57   Link #17952
Miraluka
Banned

Maria is a Hidden Badass, I think that trope fits her perfectly.
Old 2012-03-27, 23:14   Link #17953
whitecloud

in maria case it's because she can use her power (centrifugal force) efficiently and it fit in her fighting style which is revolve around martial art
Old 2012-03-27, 23:17   Link #17954
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
in maria case it's because she can use her power (centrifugal force) efficiently and it fit in her fighting style which is revolve around martial art
Capoeira, right?
Old 2012-03-27, 23:51   Link #17955
Sumeragi
Banned

Something that has been nagging at me. Can someone get me the original Japanese for the afterwords of NT4, particularly the Maria section? I'm uncertain about "ball dance" since I thought it was "pole dance".
Old 2012-03-28, 00:06   Link #17956
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

sorry if this has been asked before, its been about two weeks plus since NT4 came out, has the number of sales been released? If so is it the usual 150k+ ?

Back to Maria, she's an expert at using her powers, but the nature of that power doesnt allow her to be any stronger imo, even if she can increase her strength to 10 or 20 times, she'll still end up with broken bones.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2012-03-28 at 00:23.
Old 2012-03-28, 00:21   Link #17957
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Something that has been nagging at me. Can someone get me the original Japanese for the afterwords of NT4, particularly the Maria section? I'm uncertain about "ball dance" since I thought it was "pole dance".
The Jwiki agrees with you. They normally source the novel directly, so it's probably sourced directly from the afterword.

Quote:
Back to Maria, she's an expert at using her powers, but the nature of that power doesnt allow her to be any stronger imo, even if she can increase her strength to 10 or 20 times, she'll still end up with broken bones.
The limit is twice the centrifugal force, "impact" and "power wise" that could be more than twice, depending on which move she is using.... but the true charm of that was that she can make subtle attacks that aren't supposed to be "that strong" become very effective with the help of her ability; in other words "the upgrade" that she gets in raw power is there, but isn't that exaggerated, but the range of application and the surprise factor she gets supposedly adds a lot; she could even push back battle hardened "normal" people like Oumi back.
Old 2012-03-28, 00:37   Link #17958
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okashira View Post
The Jwiki agrees with you. They normally source the novel directly, so it's probably sourced directly from the afterword.
Thanks.

Turns out it's pole dance (ポールダンス), not ball dance. Seems like I was right he first time
Old 2012-03-28, 00:47   Link #17959
leukrota

... so... where did she get that skill?

(I gotta stop the useless habit of using ^ when referring to the post above mine... where the hell did I pick that up?)
Old 2012-03-28, 00:57   Link #17960
Sumeragi
Banned

Probably online messaging

Anyway, Japan is somewhat familiar with Capoeira, because of the large Japanese Brazilian community (minimum 1.5 million). Break dance is popular among the younger generation, and pole dancing..... go to any Japanese red light district, since there are plenty of places featuring pole dancing, never mind that pole dancing is also used as exercise by quite a few girls.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen