Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2011-07-18, 16:50   Link #1581
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranuus View Post
Unfortunately it sounds like even with that fact, right now they have explicitly stated they aren't planning to increase release speed, although I think 3 novels a year would make more sense at the least.
Aye, I understand the sales curve of book releases to maintain a steady cash flow but the 3-4 month cycle works fine. 1 or 2 a year is a bit painful for what are short light reading.
Old 2011-07-18, 17:31   Link #1582
Redeyes260
Los Illuminati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye, I understand the sales curve of book releases to maintain a steady cash flow but the 3-4 month cycle works fine. 1 or 2 a year is a bit painful for what are short light reading.
Those were my thoughts exactly. I guarantee even if every single fan sends them e-mails and letters asking for the speed of release to increase, they simply won't do it. Which will harm the fan base in the long run.
Redeyes260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-18, 17:38   Link #1583
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Exactly what I said in my letter tbh, along with other bits and pieces. I am thankful they are bringing the series to English officially, but the wait to finish the series will definitely put some off and frustrate those of us who are willing to wait. With 6 years til the series concludes they must realise they could lose fans, and I believe some of the books were written and published in Japan at a higher rate!
Reading: None at the moment
tyranuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-18, 18:38   Link #1584
Redeyes260
Los Illuminati

Quote:
Exactly what I said in my letter tbh, along with other bits and pieces. I am thankful they are bringing the series to English officially, but the wait to finish the series will definitely put some off and frustrate those of us who are willing to wait. With 6 years til the series concludes they must realise they could lose fans, and I believe some of the books were written and published in Japan at a higher rate!
They should, but they might not. It is possible that they know and are taking the risk, or are oblivious to it, which I doubt. I am willing to wait, but the hype is really the only thing keeping me with the series, which is not good.. But what was the distance between the 16th boOk and the 17th? I am sure that they do. But I am curious as to the specifics of why they can not speed it up.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Off topic, but for those that watch the anime, if you look at Funimations Season 2 playlist for Spice and Wolf, the first 2 episodes of season 2 were dubbed and put up as a teaser. The rest of the show will be put onto youtube once the sales have died down. CHEERS

Last edited by Redeyes260; 2011-07-19 at 21:41. Reason: Important >:O
Old 2011-07-19, 12:03   Link #1585
dippindots326

Yen Press frustrates me so much..
dippindots326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-20, 00:10   Link #1586
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

As has been discussed before... book sales in this market follow a 3-6 month sales curve (high sales then taper off). Keeping the cash flow keeps them alive. Also there's a historical down trend of total sales between the first book and the last book in a series (e.g. 20K books of volume 1.... to 5K books of volume last)

That's hard for "true fans" to grasp but "average fan" seems to be easily distracted.

So basically, fans have to buy more and harder. 3 months per book is *my* preferred timing (for both reading and budget reasons). The Yotsuba books (1-2 a year) and the G.A. comic books (1 a year) can make one crazy.
Old 2011-07-20, 04:21   Link #1587
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

I completely get what you mean Vexx, but with average fan stats like that you would think they might worry about fan drop off in (since publication started) roughly 9 years.
3 books a year would be a lot more tolerable and less forgettable, and would also theoretically sustain the high book sales without oversaturating the market.
Old 2011-07-20, 12:19   Link #1588
kazinki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeyes260 View Post
Did you guys not read any of the 77-79th pages?
I thought about the finale, but not only that, i wanted the novel, too.
I lost a lot of time to find the novel from 5-15 (jp ) but i can't find out vol 16 and vol 17
at least Horo and Lawrence end in happy, i can die now )
kazinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-20, 13:30   Link #1589
ThunderSt0rm

Send a message via AIM to ThunderSt0rm
I might be picking up volume 4 later today. I checked a Barnes & Noble a while back for it but they only had the manga (I might have checked before it released though.....)

Waiting for new releases is even worse now, at least for those that can't read japanese :[
ThunderSt0rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-20, 21:43   Link #1590
Redeyes260
Los Illuminati

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderSt0rm View Post
I might be picking up volume 4 later today. I checked a Barnes & Noble a while back for it but they only had the manga (I might have checked before it released though.....)

Waiting for new releases is even worse now, at least for those that can't read japanese :[
Yea, most of us cannot read Japanese, so we must wait as well :I.... ALSO... I learned that the release of Spice and Wolf season 2 on BLU-RAY and DVD has been pushed back to August 30th, which is bullcrap, because I was hoping to of gotten it for my birthday :'(

Last edited by Redeyes260; 2011-07-20 at 23:08.
Old 2011-08-05, 00:39   Link #1591
noahgab1133

shoot I wanted to watch it before school started XD. Well I checked my local bookstore, and found an amazing deal seems like the owner was a fan of the series and bought some copies, I managed to get a discount for buying all the books and manga currently released so That should keep me happy til i get the blue rays. As for the spoiler, I can now officially die of happiness. Still I am a die hard fan and will probably wait all these years for the books, just wish they got more popular, so they could be released faster.
noahgab1133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 04:10   Link #1592
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeyes260 View Post
Yea, most of us cannot read Japanese, so we must wait as well :I.... ALSO... I learned that the release of Spice and Wolf season 2 on BLU-RAY and DVD has been pushed back to August 30th, which is bullcrap, because I was hoping to of gotten it for my birthday :'(
Actually, I got an email saying that my copy is in the mail (Don't ask me how, but I sure am not complaining)! It should be here by Monday at the latest! So, hopefully everyone else who ordered it will have there copy soon as well!

Last edited by Rajura; 2011-08-05 at 04:13. Reason: Added content
Rajura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 12:05   Link #1593
Redeyes260
Los Illuminati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajura View Post
Actually, I got an email saying that my copy is in the mail (Don't ask me how, but I sure am not complaining)! It should be here by Monday at the latest! So, hopefully everyone else who ordered it will have there copy soon as well!
Maybe the push-back was just a scheme? Because if they're keeping their original schedule then that's even better.
Old 2011-08-05, 12:35   Link #1594
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajura View Post
Ooooh, that's good news, as I'd also been told the season had been pushed back. Who did you order through?

As I'd heard mixed messages elsewhere too, I've specifically asked Rightstuf to hold my order back til after the 15th on the off chance it went out this week and it reached the UK in a week.

Remember to let us know what cut of the last episode is used
Old 2011-08-10, 21:03   Link #1595
Lexxus
YES! Hahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaAlba View Post
spoiler for volume 17, thanks for kaibayugi2002

Wow. So that's how it ends? Damn. Looks like I need to buy a LN for this. Seems like there is an epilogue. So what happened after volume 17?
Lexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-11, 04:55   Link #1596
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

Quote:
Ooooh, that's good news, as I'd also been told the season had been pushed back. Who did you order through?

As I'd heard mixed messages elsewhere too, I've specifically asked Rightstuf to hold my order back til after the 15th on the off chance it went out this week and it reached the UK in a week.

Remember to let us know what cut of the last episode is used
Oh, as an update... I was given a bit of misinformation. So, when it arrived last Friday, all I received was the Season 1 Blu-ray... that's good but...
Old 2011-08-11, 06:21   Link #1597
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxus View Post
Wow. So that's how it ends? Damn. Looks like I need to buy a LN for this. Seems like there is an epilogue. So what happened after volume 17?
That is the epilogue.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 20:01   Link #1598
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

ah, my copy of the last volume has finally arrived.... tempted to just dive in with dictionary and notepad and struggle through.
Old 2011-08-14, 16:11   Link #1599
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Damn you Vexx
Enjoy
Old 2011-08-15, 02:03   Link #1600
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Actually, its fairly painful. Manga is easier for me to handle because its usually written for young teens (fair amount of phonetics and even furigana). Getting through a light novel is a grinding process for me. Believe me, I am very thankful for the folks at B-T so I can compare what I thought something said to their take on it.

Tags
light novels, seinen, shounen