AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-11-08, 14:19   Link #141
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
Explain why Usopp is so like popular? I still like dislike him.

Unfortunately, I've seen people have more hate than love for Usopp ever since Water 7. It's sad because he's had roughly the most growth out of anyone in the crew. I mean, look at Thriller Bark. He didn't back down from fighting at all in this storyline, despite facing off against freaking zombies and ghosts. In past storylines, he spent all of his battles running away (like when he faced off against Chu and the Mr. 4 pair), but now we don't see him turning tail at all. The Enies Lobby arc really did a number on Usopp's character development.

...And that's why I'm looking forward to see what surprises Oda has in store for him now that he's seperated from the rest of the crew. His dream is to be a brave warrior of the seas, and I think having a solo adventure will be a good test for him.....

Oh, and I'm about 100% certain that Fisher Tiger is a merman. His name alone should obviously imply what species he is. Unless anyone is suggesting that he's a self-hating human racist? I kinda doubt that Oda will take that route in a shounen series. After all, if memory serves me right, it was due to complaints from other countries about Whitebeard's jolly roger looking too much like a swastika that forced Oda to change it to the anime's version of the symbol.....
Old 2008-11-08, 14:22   Link #142
Sordes Pilosus
Claymore Addict

Likly we will see Whitebeard vs Shichibukai not quite yet. It wont happend for a few "days" stil. By then Luffy will probably meet up with the rest of his Crew or atlest part of it. From there its possible we will see the WB vs Shichibukai, but the situation regarding Hancock and the Whitebeard battle will probably come "before that". And its not set in stone that next chapter will be the chapter Luffy will leave in.
Old 2008-11-08, 14:27   Link #143
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sordes Pilosus View Post
Likly we will see Whitebeard vs Shichibukai not quite yet. It wont happend for a few "days" stil. By then Luffy will probably meet up with the rest of his Crew or atlest part of it. From there its possible we will see the WB vs Shichibukai, but the situation regarding Hancock and the Whitebeard battle will probably come "before that". And its not set in stone that next chapter will be the chapter Luffy will leave in.
Even if Luffy meets up with his crew, they CAN'T go into battle. Are you really asking him to like get captured? Luffy is so pathetically weak compared to the admirals and schibukai right now.
Old 2008-11-08, 14:32   Link #144
marvelB

Quote:
Even if Luffy meets up with his crew, they CAN'T go into battle. Are you really asking him to like get captured? Luffy is so pathetically weak compared to the admirals and schibukai right now.

Unfortunately, I agree. Heck, we saw how not just him, but the entire crew wore themselves out by taking out that one Pacifista at Sabaody. Then we saw Luffy get smacked around by Sentoumaru shortly afterwards (who was able to damage Luffy despite not being a DF user himself). He may have a rare type of Haki, but he's still got a long way to go before he can play with the big boys......
Old 2008-11-08, 14:40   Link #145
james0246

Quote:
This is One Piece. Give Luffy and company a day or two of rest as well as a day or so of training, and you will get an entirely new opponent...though I will admit that the difference in strength is too great to just surmount in a few days of training. So, by next encounter, Luffy will be closer to equalling his opponents, but not surpaasing them.
Old 2008-11-08, 14:42   Link #146
Freya

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Unfortunately, I agree. Heck, we saw how not just him, but the entire crew wore themselves out by taking out that one Pacifista at Sabaody. Then we saw Luffy get smacked around by Sentoumaru shortly afterwards (who was able to damage Luffy despite not being a DF user himself). He may have a rare type of Haki, but he's still got a long way to go before he can play with the big boys......
yeah...even if you say "Hey! But with if someone like....Boa and etc." She can't do much. Not to that extent.

What's most likely going to happen is she'll accept the Shchibukai gathering and while on the way take Luffy with her and like drop him off at wherever.

What happens after is unknown since we don't know if Oda will show each other char with their own little arc. But I highly doubt it. Lot's more to show and continue with the story.
Old 2008-11-08, 14:57   Link #147
marvelB

Quote:
yeah...even if you say "Hey! But with if someone like....Boa and etc." She can't do much. Not to that extent.

Uh-huh. Heck, in Sabaody, Luffy had a legendary pirate like Rayleigh helping him out, yet the most he was able to do was hold back Kizaru (sure, it's true that he was complaining about not being able to do more due to his old age, but the point still stands). Simply put, Luffy ain't ready for this upcoming clash of the titans. He'll have his chance to step up to the big league after reaching the New World.....
Old 2008-11-08, 15:01   Link #148
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sordes Pilosus View Post
Rurik what about if Margaret would ask Sanji about his Kintama ? I belive he would die even more likly then. Regarding Slayerx's opinions. I agree with 90% or so of what ive seen recently, the only exception i cleary disagree on is regarding the fact around Margaret, there is plenty to support that she can be a likly Ninth strawhat, and im not stating that because im a Margaret fanboy, i prefer Robin :P Its just to much general evidence that Margaret aint a "short term character". She has gotten to much attension for that.
well being a Robin fanboy doesn't stop ya... i love Nami but that doesn't stop me from Loving Robin also =p

Vivi, Conis, Pauly, Nojiko, Camie, Hachi, the giants, Bon Clay, Dalton, and so on all got as much or even more attention than maragaret has and NONE of them had joined the strawhats. In fact, Pauly was heavy speculated to be the strawhat shipwright and Vivi was around long enough and close enough to the crew to get her own eyecatch in the anime; and i think there was even some speculation over camie

Oda throws in characters like these ALL the time... The starwhats need allies in each arc to help show them around and help us get an understanding of the area and the story... they are plot elements to help move the story forward

in Margaret's case, her primary purpose so far has been to show Luffy a kinder side to the amazons, give him someone that he likes and doesn't want to see get hurt, aswell as tell him a bit about the island and Boa... If it wasn't for margaret's interaction with Luffy, Luffy's anger over her and the others getting turned to stone would not have been as effective... its one thing if Boa turns a person to stone, it's another thing if that person worships and admires her; only thing that will piss off Luffy more than hurting his nakama is seeing someone else hurt their own nakama... really so far margaret has been all part of a method for Luffy to show Boa his true kind nature

there are ways to tell if someone will be a potential strawhat...
-Having a dream that can only really be fullfilled by traveling away from home (requirement)
-Having a really dramatic/tragic past (requirement)
-a role in the crew (not required, but an extremely good sign)
-a reason to not stay on home and/or having a personal desire to leave
-Having a real heart-to-heart moment with Luffy
-Have Luffy call them his Nakama
-Being somone that Luffy finds really "cool" or "funny"

i think that covers all of them and Margaret has yet to show a single one of those...
And you can't underestimate these things... Vivi came extremely close to being a strawhat to the point that Luffy would have taken her but she did not... and one thing we can tell is that vivi only filled the Nakama requirement very well along with the heart-to-heart moment, but did not have the 2 most important traits of a strawhat which is a dream that requires them to leave or a dramatic/tragic past that helps shape those dreams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phenomenol View Post
This was a sob story chapter.
Anyone think after next chapter, when luffy gets the ship and starts sailing more light will be shed on the Whitebeard vs Shichibukai situation?
nope

Quote:
Oh, and I'm about 100% certain that Fisher Tiger is a merman. His name alone should obviously imply what species he is. Unless anyone is suggesting that he's a self-hating human racist? I kinda doubt that Oda will take that route in a shounen series. After all, if memory serves me right, it was due to complaints from other countries about Whitebeard's jolly roger looking too much like a swastika that forced Oda to change it to the anime's version of the symbol.....
Y'know i look at Fisher's picture and i do think he does kind of a resemble a tiger fish
Old 2008-11-08, 15:05   Link #149
Freya

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phenomenol View Post
This was a sob story chapter.
Anyone think after next chapter, when luffy gets the ship and starts sailing more light will be shed on the Whitebeard vs Shichibukai situation?
"the ship" i believe is going to be Boa's.
Old 2008-11-08, 15:28   Link #150
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Y'know i look at Fisher's picture and i do think he does kind of a resemble a tiger fish

Alternatively, he could be a tiger shark, as well:

Spoiler:
Old 2008-11-08, 15:47   Link #151
neoeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleutheria View Post
Dang, I refuse to believe that Oda had such a background to Hachi's Sun Tattoo so many chapters ago...

Also, very good point above about no reaction to the name Monkey D.

This is what freaks me out man.Does he thinks this much in advance?. So we probabaly has 500 more chapters to go( which is YAY for me). I really hope op never ends.
Old 2008-11-08, 16:56   Link #152
Freya

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoeagle View Post
This is what freaks me out man.Does he thinks this much in advance?. So we probabaly has 500 more chapters to go( which is YAY for me). I really hope op never ends.
Oda does what Kishi and Kubo can't: Good chapters and cliffhangers every week.
Old 2008-11-08, 17:02   Link #153
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
A DAY?
He would be awfully stronger if he had a whole day.
Just look back at Enies Lobby: He went from "loosing badly against Lucci" to "beating him" in only a few hours.

Enies Lobby was a different story. The reason he lost to Lucci the first time around was because he was too preoccupied with the Robin situation. He even goes as far as to tell Blueno that he had already came up with the Gears after his loss to Aokiji, but sometime before arriving at Water 7 (this was even foreshadowed when he was in Rocketman. He specifically says that he had some new techniques that he wanted to try out shortly before arriving at EL). I'd say that Luffy would need a bit more than a few days' time before he's strong enough to take on guys as powerful as the admirals or Yonkou....
Old 2008-11-08, 17:20   Link #154
Slayerx

Quote:
Alternatively, he could be a tiger shark, as well:

Spoiler:
nah i still say tiger fish... i say he's a tiger fish cause i feel like he bares some resemblance to one unlike a tiger shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoeagle View Post
well, really good writers do think of these things far in advance... major characters, plot point, areas, events, and so forth; not doing such things can lead you to making continuity errors

And Oda has shown a couple of such errors... One was when Zoro cut through and destroyed Hachi's sword during the arlong arc... this clashes with the point that Zoro didn't learn to cut steel till his fight in alabasta... Another would be Luffy being effected by Nami's "lovely punch"; with that i doubt Oda took into account that Luffy was gonna need to be like 100% unaffected by sexual attacks in order to face boa

In hachi's case... he wasn't the only one with the mark, others like Arlong and Marco also displayed the mark on them. The mark was not of the arlong pirates and thus had unknown origins... at the very least, Oda likely knew the mark would be that of sun pirates and carried over from Jinbei's crew... however, one might ask why oda would bother with such a detail... i mean, buggy and Shanks used to be part of Gold Roger's crew but do not share any kind mark that links them together; why give the fishmen a mark to link them to their old crew? One posibility is the fact that the mark was gonna have a much greater significance later on

its not hard to believe Oda may have thought this far ahead in the case of Hachi's mark... if he came up with the ideas that Mariejoe would be filled with nobles, that the nobles engage in slavery, and that fishmen would be discriminated agaisnt; having Hachi or his fellow fishmen be former slaves, and giveing them a mark as such is not a large leap

though on the other hand, this could be an example of very good retcon at work... in that Oda did not think about this stuff before hand, but manage to work it all together in such a fashion that it becomes hard to tell that he didn't... the only thing that might make one suspect as such is the idea that Hachi was not necessairly a slave and it was given to all the fishmen... it's kind of like he didn't want to make Hachi a former slave, but at the same time wanted to use his mark as a sign of slavery and thus found a way around it...

it's really hard to tell if Oda planned it out or not
He either planned it out ahead of time or he's very good at pulling off retcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya
Oda does what Kishi and Kubo can't: Good chapters and cliffhangers every week.
Amen to that
Old 2008-11-08, 20:33   Link #155
7th_dimension

is it true hebihime is the most beautiful person in the universe of one piece?
...then luffy should marry her... what willl happen next??? hahaha i'm joking, dont get to think so serious ^^
Old 2008-11-08, 20:37   Link #156
scopa
I Like Anime™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
nah i still say tiger fish... i say he's a tiger fish cause i feel like he bares some resemblance to one unlike a tiger shark

well, really good writers do think of these things far in advance... major characters, plot point, areas, events, and so forth; not doing such things can lead you to making continuity errors

And Oda has shown a couple of such errors... One was when Zoro cut through and destroyed Hachi's sword during the arlong arc... this clashes with the point that Zoro didn't learn to cut steel till his fight in alabasta... Another would be Luffy being effected by Nami's "lovely punch"; with that i doubt Oda took into account that Luffy was gonna need to be like 100% unaffected by sexual attacks in order to face boa

In hachi's case... he wasn't the only one with the mark, others like Arlong and Marco also displayed the mark on them. The mark was not of the arlong pirates and thus had unknown origins... at the very least, Oda likely knew the mark would be that of sun pirates and carried over from Jinbei's crew... however, one might ask why oda would bother with such a detail... i mean, buggy and Shanks used to be part of Gold Roger's crew but do not share any kind mark that links them together; why give the fishmen a mark to link them to their old crew? One posibility is the fact that the mark was gonna have a much greater significance later on

its not hard to believe Oda may have thought this far ahead in the case of Hachi's mark... if he came up with the ideas that Mariejoe would be filled with nobles, that the nobles engage in slavery, and that fishmen would be discriminated agaisnt; having Hachi or his fellow fishmen be former slaves, and giveing them a mark as such is not a large leap

though on the other hand, this could be an example of very good retcon at work... in that Oda did not think about this stuff before hand, but manage to work it all together in such a fashion that it becomes hard to tell that he didn't... the only thing that might make one suspect as such is the idea that Hachi was not necessairly a slave and it was given to all the fishmen... it's kind of like he didn't want to make Hachi a former slave, but at the same time wanted to use his mark as a sign of slavery and thus found a way around it...

it's really hard to tell if Oda planned it out or not
He either planned it out ahead of time or he's very good at pulling off retcon

Amen to that
I seem to remember reading that the CP9 arc was the halfway point.

That tells me that Oda has already planned out the entire story. He probably just focuses in on more of the smaller details as he gets closer.

But I am sure he already knows all the main characters that the crew will meet in the future.
Old 2008-11-08, 21:09   Link #157
marvelB

Something I'm rather curious about: Just how many factions of the former Sun Pirates are there? If we take Yosaku's info from earlier in the series into account, then we know that Jinbei is the captain of the Merman Pirates (which means the Sun Pirates had already disbanded). Then part of his crew split and formed Arlong's crew, supposedly in exchange for his Shichibukai position. But then we also have Macro's crew, who we first saw in Hachi's ministory and more recently during the Duval battle. In fact, nearly all the mermen we've seen in the series so far have had the sun tattoo. The only exceptions I can think of are the mermen from Foxy's crew, Kapoty (the martial artist swordfish guy) and Big Pan (the half-giant guy from the Groggy Monsters)....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th_dimension View Post
is it true hebihime is the most beautiful person in the universe of one piece?

Technically, Hancock would be the most beautiful human female, yes. But according to Lola's crew, mermaids surpass her in beauty.....
Old 2008-11-08, 22:21   Link #158
ellifeedn
Thinker

That beautiful female comment is definitly going to bring the wrath of certain members here.
Old 2008-11-08, 23:21   Link #159
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Still it was hinted in the end of chapter 521 that she might gain a crush on Luffy lol the first female to fall in love with Luffy since, well the manga started
Old 2008-11-09, 01:34   Link #160
Freya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargumm1i View Post
Still it was hinted in the end of chapter 521 that she might gain a crush on Luffy lol the first female to fall in love with Luffy since, well the manga started
I doubt she literally meant love. Just like as in admire as in someone who would actually punch the person who she most hates.