Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2014-03-21, 13:46   Link #121
Rayneing
Trombe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Seriously, I don't see why people need to bring up Zeta and Victory when Tomino already made Turn A. (Were there a lot of deaths in Turn A? I honestly don't remember now, but it didn't seem a lot, no more than what is typical for a Gundam show.)
Turn A has so few deaths, the main character doesn't even kill anyone (mook or otherwise) until the last ten episodes.
Old 2014-03-21, 15:03   Link #122
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Seriously, I don't see why people need to bring up Zeta and Victory when Tomino already made Turn A. (Were there a lot of deaths in Turn A? I honestly don't remember now, but it didn't seem a lot, no more than what is typical for a Gundam show.)
We brought those up since, depending on Tomino's state-of-mind, we may get a series like those aforementioned ones. Turn-A is indeed one of Tomino’s more “cheerful” and balanced works, and he got even softer by making the Zeta Movie’s ending a happier one than the depressing original. I pray that this G-Reco will be more like the balanced Turn-A than kill’em-all Victory, but I also pray he doesn’t make it too silly with too many slapstick jokes like ZZ.
Old 2014-03-21, 15:35   Link #123
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
We brought those up since, depending on Tomino's state-of-mind, we may get a series like those aforementioned ones.
Well, maybe so. But it seems to me that the late 80s and early 90s was just one part of his life. I mean, I don't know, does Tomino have a history of mood swings?
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-21, 18:10   Link #124
Scorpiopt

I just hope that this does not pull a turn-A 2.0 ( yeah i know unpopular opinion but for me turn-A was nothing but average )
Scorpiopt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-21, 18:16   Link #125
Galaxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpiopt View Post
I just hope that this does not pull a turn-A 2.0 ( yeah i know unpopular opinion but for me turn-A was nothing but average )
Don't beat yourself up, I can't even get pass the mustache...
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-21, 22:35   Link #126
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
Quote:
As opposed to them being killed by the enemy in the first place? Sorry, I don't see how you can justify killing someone for failing to be killed.
about Crossbone Gundam...... oh, forgot to tell you the most important part, they pretty much have to live by the laws of a dictator...... a fruit cake one that is....... & yes, his goal is to make a planetary scale genocide on the planet that gives life to all, mother earth, with nukes, so your self inflicted accident is now officially your crime that you have to pay for it........
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-21, 23:07   Link #127
Frontier

I wonder how long it'll be until the word "Gundam" gets uttered on the show? I think it was 11 episodes into Turn A before someone actually called Turn A a Gundam, and I think 11 more before someone mentioned it again .

I also remember the Victory not being referred to as a Gundam for at least a few episodes...
Old 2014-03-21, 23:40   Link #128
IceHism

is this a series or a movie. I read on another website that it was a movie?
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-22, 00:44   Link #129
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I wonder how long it'll be until the word "Gundam" gets uttered on the show? I think it was 11 episodes into Turn A before someone actually called Turn A a Gundam, and I think 11 more before someone mentioned it again .

I also remember the Victory not being referred to as a Gundam for at least a few episodes...
how about Gundam SEED along with its sequel? it's only like on their 1st episodes due to the fact that word Gundam is an acronym in the C.E. verse instead of the typical "power of a small GUN but with the strength of a DAM that holds back water" thing going on, the characters only refer them by unit's respective names of Strike to Raider, instead of the word Gundam being chanted repeatedly like a name of an entity,
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-22, 00:48   Link #130
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

E7 design... hmm...

I hope there is no alien technology...
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-22, 01:11   Link #131
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. View Post
about Crossbone Gundam...... oh, forgot to tell you the most important part, they pretty much have to live by the laws of a dictator...... a fruit cake one that is....... & yes, his goal is to make a planetary scale genocide on the planet that gives life to all, mother earth, with nukes, so your self inflicted accident is now officially your crime that you have to pay for it........

Yeah, well, as I said:
Quote:
Sure it's questionable if you're dealing with questionable people who would kill their own comrades over some perverted sense of honor.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-22, 01:53   Link #132
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Reconguista made for them kiddies:
http://zakitakubu.com/2014/03/20/tom...-for-children/

Though Tomino has always say that his shows are made for kids... No matter how gory or violent they are.

Edit: the translated presentation on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugwngyeTeVA
O god I cant wait to see this turn into a kill-em-all fest for the kids xD
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-22, 06:24   Link #133
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Hmm...

I wish that Gen and Tomino worked together on this project.

*hides*
Old 2014-03-22, 06:24   Link #134
RES-01 Perses Gundam
A Contradiction Beneath

I think Tomino means Reconguista in G to revitalise the Gundam franchise, so it needs to appeal to kids in order to build up a younger fanbase that can keep the franchise profitable and running for the next 35 to 40 years. Tomino even said he didn't like how the franchise is run like a "business model", but admitted that it is necessary to keep the franchise thriving for the next few decades. So I guess the "Gundam team" is embarking on a two-pronged approach; first to continue churning out occasional produces the current Gundam fanbase is familiar with, such as Origin and Unicorn to keep people like me and perhaps everyone here happy. Second to create something like Reconguista in G that could spooked off some of the older fans, but necessary to attract younger viewers who have different tastes from us.

It's also particularly symbolic how they decided to position the new series in the Reguild century, set after UC. There's continuity, since Reguild century happens after UC and will definitely borrow familiar elements from UC, but there's change as well, as Reconguista is allowed to experiment with concepts and grapples with issues, themes that would not be possible if it's still stuck in the world of UC.
RES-01 Perses Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-22, 06:45   Link #135
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Say, how the heck would we turned from Universal Century to Reguild? They changed, like from A.D to U.C, or maybe like Turn A where different civilization built up after another?
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-22, 07:15   Link #136
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Maybe post Zanscare crisis?

I mean so many wars can't be healthy for the civilization as a whole
Old 2014-03-22, 07:43   Link #137
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RES-01 Perses Gundam View Post
I think Tomino means Reconguista in G to revitalise the Gundam franchise, so it needs to appeal to kids in order to build up a younger fanbase that can keep the franchise profitable and running for the next 35 to 40 years. Tomino even said he didn't like how the franchise is run like a "business model", but admitted that it is necessary to keep the franchise thriving for the next few decades. So I guess the "Gundam team" is embarking on a two-pronged approach; first to continue churning out occasional produces the current Gundam fanbase is familiar with, such as Origin and Unicorn to keep people like me and perhaps everyone here happy. Second to create something like Reconguista in G that could spooked off some of the older fans, but necessary to attract younger viewers who have different tastes from us.
He's just doling out the old company line. Bandai has been attempting to expand the Gundam audience since Gundam F91, Victory, G, etc... And they've always intended to target younger audiences with their TV shows, whereas OVAs are geared more for older fans, since they are the ones who would spend money on buying videos and DVDs.

Quote:
It's also particularly symbolic how they decided to position the new series in the Reguild century, set after UC. There's continuity, since Reguild century happens after UC and will definitely borrow familiar elements from UC, but there's change as well, as Reconguista is allowed to experiment with concepts and grapples with issues, themes that would not be possible if it's still stuck in the world of UC.
Basically this. It seems the space elevator is powered by Minovsky particles, and we'll probably see other UC terminology being used like that too. But making this a pure UC series would set expectations for fans which Tomino doesn't want. I doubt we'll see a lot of connections with UC story-wise either. He's made it clear he was done with UC and is only really using the UC setting here.
Old 2014-03-22, 08:37   Link #138
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Quote:
Originally Posted by RES-01 Perses Gundam View Post
Wait, isn't that how he made the first Gundam series at first since he doesn't have big sponsors yet at that time. But I'm hoping that he won't be inserting some Super Robot elements like the G-Armor module and such.
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-22, 08:56   Link #139
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

No, even if Tomino wants to, Sunrise won't be done with U.C. There are some time hole (like the 6 years between First and Second Neo Zeon War) that could be filled.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-22, 09:42   Link #140
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Nice to see Tomino back, not too worried about the "aimed for kids" thing. Wonder if it will be like Turn A. From the PV visuals do seem like E7 though that doesn't bother me. Though the MC did look weird at times.

I'll reserve judgement on the gundam until i've seen better images. From the PV it didn't look too good, but from the 35th anniversary project picture and line art it looked cool. Like the idea of the v-fin moving. Don't think it can be worse than "mustache" gundam.

Story preface seems cool. I wonder how many years after UC this will be. It will interesting how they try and bridge the gap between the timelines, if they do that at all.