Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2007-05-19, 22:24   Link #21
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Got my hands on the awful screener version, but still, I found it a brilliant movie. I enjoyed it a lot more than TokiKake (though I enjoyed TokiKake, too). 9.5/10.

The music was wonderful. Now it's time for me to dig the OST...

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-21, 20:52   Link #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post

The music was wonderful. Now it's time for me to dig the OST...
Definitely pick up the OST. I have been listening to it since i got a couple of months ago. I especially like the opening song; good shit!
100587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 19:48   Link #23
Fellini 8.5
Film Snob

Toronto premeire?

Does anybody have any idea where the Toronto premiere is going to be? All the online movie sites end at Thursday, and what few indie cinema sites I could find make no mention of it. I don't know Toronto well enough to have a suspicion of just where it's going to be shown, but I'd really like to book a room up there before it's too late. :P
Fellini 8.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-23, 09:19   Link #24
Darmani

Location: Michigan ... Rochester Hills by some gas station and my job
Send a message via Yahoo to Darmani
Yeah it was something of a nerd fantasy at the end.

I'm still not sure why the cop escaped the madness
Darmani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-24, 07:13   Link #25
Thyrz
Laidback Luke

Watched it on HD 720p, thought it was pretty good.

Too bad I'm having trouble enjoying anime lately. Probably watched too much.
Or maybe *gasp* I'm growing out of it?!
Old 2007-06-24, 08:58   Link #26
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Quote:
Yeah it was something of a nerd fantasy at the end.
That pretty much sums up my impression of the ending. Fat and immature technogeek suddenly getting married to the hottest chick around for no apparent reason. Love is blind and reality's weirder than dreams.

Overall, it's pretty to look at and it kept me preoccupied for some time but it doesn't really leave a lasting impression, kinda like most Hollywood films.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>
G. Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 16:21   Link #27
tritoch

Felt like End of Evangelion all over again
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-08, 21:25   Link #28
wao
OK.

Cathay can have my firstborn, I swear.
http://sg.movies.yahoo.com/Paprika/m...8/photos/?id=1

It's coming to Singapore! And not in some obscure film festival, too! *dances*
Old 2007-07-10, 04:24   Link #29
Ottocycle

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
Cathay can have my firstborn, I swear.
http://sg.movies.yahoo.com/Paprika/m...8/photos/?id=1

It's coming to Singapore! And not in some obscure film festival, too! *dances*
Nice to see that the Tokikake showing wasn't a one-off thing.
Props to Cathay for spearheading the non-Ghibli anime movie import movement!

But I fear for its box-office takings...yes it's critically acclaimed and all, but will it be as digestible enough for the mainstream as Tokikake, or to quote a past work of the director's, Tokyo Godfathers?
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 17:33   Link #30
aorta

DVD shipped from Amazon today.
aorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-27, 11:15   Link #31
mdauben

I didn't realize this was coming out today! Having seen a fansub of it, its one I definetly want to own. Guess I need to stop by Best Buy on the way home today
mdauben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-13, 18:14   Link #32
waffo
25% Unknown

Send a message via AIM to waffo Send a message via Yahoo to waffo
I bought Paprika last weekend and just watched it today. Awesome movie! I randomly want to watch Tokyo Godfathers again, now.

I'm not expecting much of an answer to this question but it's been bothering me. When I was watching the credits roll, I suddenly heard some Vietnamese in the middle of the ending song. Is there any reason why it's there?
waffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-13, 19:56   Link #33
psycho bolt
Cowmaster

I don't think its Vietnamese. I think its Thai. The music is by Susumu Hirasawa. You should look him up cuz its mostly influenced by him.
psycho bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-13, 20:02   Link #34
aorta

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffo View Post
I'm not expecting much of an answer to this question but it's been bothering me. When I was watching the credits roll, I suddenly heard some Vietnamese in the middle of the ending song. Is there any reason why it's there?
Not sure. I did find this:

"Xin chào các bạn. Đây là Quê Hương của chúng tôi. Đây là tương lai của chúng tôi."

The translation is :

"Hello friends. Here is our countryland. Here is our future."

source: http://honyaku.livejournal.com/1583....d=20783#t20783
aorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-14, 18:49   Link #35
dauthik
Guitar Hero

Send a message via AIM to dauthik
I'd forgotten about this movie. It was great, but seeing as I'd forgotten about it, it didn't make that much of an impression on me. I remember that the entire time I was watching it, I was thinking: If I smoked pot, then this would be the movie I would smoke to and then go watch.

It probably didn't help that it was one of those obligatory dates you have with your ex-boyfriend right after you break up so that he/you don't feel bad and attempt to remain friends. >_>

The animation was gorgeous though. The scene where the obsessed-doctor guy takes a knife to Chiba and rips Paprika out was my favorite.
dauthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-15, 21:54   Link #36
waffo
25% Unknown

Send a message via AIM to waffo Send a message via Yahoo to waffo
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho bolt View Post
I don't think its Vietnamese. I think its Thai. The music is by Susumu Hirasawa. You should look him up cuz its mostly influenced by him.
I'm talking about the part of the song with the woman speaking. I don't think it's Vietnamese. I know it's Vietnamese. I just want to know why it's there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aorta View Post
Not sure. I did find this:

"Xin chào các bạn. Đây là Quê Hương của chúng tôi. Đây là tương lai của chúng tôi."

The translation is :

"Hello friends. Here is our countryland. Here is our future."

source: http://honyaku.livejournal.com/1583....d=20783#t20783
Cool. The end of it was unclear so it's nice to know the end of what she said.
waffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-17, 06:55   Link #37
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
I'm talking about the part of the song with the woman speaking. I don't think it's Vietnamese. I know it's Vietnamese. I just want to know why it's there.
Walking frogs playing flutes marching to the tune of technicolour confetti. A mountain of life-size dolls under a parade of shrine gates while a swarm of blue butterflies snatches you away to the Promised Beach somewhere in the azure waters of Southeast Asia.

This your brain on anime. Vietnamese lyrics popping up in the middle of a Japanese song almost seems tame by comparison.

Seriously though, only the composer would know the answer. I've had such a trippy good time watching Paprika that I forgot to ask.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-18, 02:08   Link #38
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

This weekend I was lucky enough to see Paprika for the first time. My friend showed it to me on Blu-Ray on his home theater. Paprika HD on a bloody huge screen really cannot be beat in terms of animation beauty.

To be honest, this movie did not have one of the deepest stories I've ever seen. I really thought that many of the characters needed a lot more fleshing out. I kept seeing hints of much depth that they had, but we never really got to know them well enough. In particular the main character needed to have her quirks explained though I think I've got a pretty decent idea of what her deal was. It seriously suffered in the transition from novel to movie. Far too much was left out.

However, the story was a perfect excuse for Satoshi Kon to go hog wild with his surprising scene changes, unique visuals and beautiful animation. In that respect this was a perfect vehicle for the animation. It let Satoshi Kon do what he does best. And of course, the music was incredible also. I can not tell you just how awesome it was on a 5 foot screen with full surround sound. (And I imagine it would be just as wonderful if I'd seen it in an actual movie theater.) That totally made the movie. It just didn't really need a plot to keep me rivited.

However, if I'd watched it in normal definition on a TV screen I fear I would have felt cheated by the thin-ness of detail in the story.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-18, 10:56   Link #39
innominate
hiatus almost permanent

Was trying to pick out messages from the show...

about
...how everyone believes they can keep stuck in their own world (i.e. internet indulgence) and have perfect control (over themselves and maybe even others) via this outlet and fail to realise that the internet is just another facet of social interaction not unlike 'reality'...

... how much do DC minis resemble the internet? D:

/agree with NSW, on the other hand: not enough character development =)

on another note... this is also the seventh time I almost thought I was reading Cats' posts... T_T
innominate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-18, 11:48   Link #40
gaguri

I dug the premise, and I loved how it showed the ways in which our subconcious thoughts can influence our daily lives, as well using controlled alternative reality to let those sometimes repressed thoughts run free. The whole deal of 'wonderful vision of sharing dream with others' vs 'dream is too sacred' didn't strike cord with me though. And of course, this movie proves yet again that Kon is nuts (in a good way!), producing some of the most bizarre visual imageries (aka frog parade, a human emerging out of another human wtf) I've seen in long time. His unconventional ways of unfolding a story through sheer visual power and atmosphere was easily the highlight of this movie for me.

However, I think the biggest flaw in this film was how the story was resolved. It juggled with two plots, and the lesser of the two (concerning the detective and him trying to decipher his dream) has so little to do with the other when all is said and done. Addition to this is 'O I love this fat guy, because um I like the way he is, even though I'll probably get crushed to death while we're getting down dirty', which came out of nowhere. Well, to be honest, subtle hints were thrown here and there, about her true feelings towards him, but to use that as a way to defeat the bad guy in the end? Bit anticlimatic, but not a total failure, since well, the whole sequence of her eating the guy out and clearing the sky was breath taking.

And the other minor flaw I have is the characters. imo the detective is the only character who is fleshed out really well (although his significance to the overall story is reduced to nil when his own plot is resolved). Antagonists are interesting, but nothing we are compelled to feel anything for. As for the main character though, I don't have much to complain about.

So although not among hist best (which are imo, Millenium Actress and Tokyo Godfather), this is yet another great addition to Kon's achievement and worthy of recommendation to just about every anime fans. If I was to rate it, it'd be about 8/10.
gaguri is offline   Reply With Quote