AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2006-03-10, 12:53   Link #201
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
"Favorite" is a matter of opinion. "Best" is a matter of fact. If it were "Your best anime character," then it would be opinion. But these are clearly labeled "Best anim character," so either the voters have the wrong definition of "best," or they're getting one-dimensional and shallow. >.> And Kira is far from the best, even in GSEED.

For Kira to be everybody's favorite is perfectly fine. But for them to label him as the best, makes me feel like I'm going to throw up.
Old 2006-03-10, 15:51   Link #202
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

Anime magazines are not an authoritative stick by which "best/dynamic/deep/whatever" can be measured by. "Best" and "Favorite" are practically synonyms in this case. If you ask me who I think the best anime character is, it'll probably be the same person as my favorite anime character simply because the poll is not asking me to consider character in terms of personality but in terms of my opinion. What I'm trying to say here is these polls are incredibly biased.

And FYI, the polls say "Kira (GSD)" because that's the more recent series he has appeared in. It says "Freedom Gundam (GSD)" on the mech list too, for the exact same reason. Going back to what I said, Kira has a lot of fans. GS and GSD are both extremely popular shows. Kira was a great character in GS and not so great in GSD, but not everyone is going to have your opinion about Kira post-GSD. For example, myself. I loved Kira in GS, he wasn't my favorite character but I enjoyed his story and problems. In GSD I was glad to see him return, but 30 episodes later all he basically did was kick everyone's ass and be a hypocrite (Shinn was a hypocrite too, but his hypocrisy was slightly a little more on the level and can be blamed on ignorance rather than arrogance, which was Kira's problem in GSD). Do I like GSD Kira? Not really. Does that make me want to dump him off my favorite character list? No, because I still recall 50 episodes of him being an interesting and fun character.

So, to reiterate, "best" has a very elastic definition in this case. Kira has a HUGE fan following, and that's reason enough for him being ranked #1 on favorite character polls.
Old 2006-03-10, 15:57   Link #203
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

I know these polls are biased. And I also assumed that they just automatically put "GSD" there anyway. But I stick with my stance that he doesn't belong there in first place. >.> I was glad Kira returned in GSD as well, as an at-the-time devoted Kira fan...and then he just fell as a character. >.> He wasn't the best character even back before GSD, though.

As I said, it's perfectly fine to have him as a favorite. That is your opinion. In these polls though, I was right in one of my two assumptions that the line between the definition of "Best" and "favorite" is blurred here. >.>
Old 2006-03-12, 05:27   Link #204
mikyu

soo ... let's step in the discussion to say something ^^ .... and I don't want to discuss or argue with anybody here, I just had the feeling to say it when I read this thread

I love Lacus and Kira and that's good so!

reason: they are just cool in GS, I don't like them in GSD so much (sure they had some great appearance, but that was all .... ) ... but there is no chara in GSD which I like ... so ... that's why I can understand the readers of Newtype, Animage and Animedia ... hey, they are the greatest magazines in japan!)
mikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-13, 09:40   Link #205
Last_Hope
System/Web developer

I just wanted to be the first to congratulate Shinn Asuka on his nomination as best villain in the Animereactor Community Awards 2005.

Want to know who did this kickass sig? Just click it!
Last_Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-13, 12:31   Link #206
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_Hope
I just wanted to be the first to congratulate Shinn Asuka on his nomination as best villain in the Animereactor Community Awards 2005.
Lol, did Durandal get nominated? At least he was a real villain.
Obi-Wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-13, 13:43   Link #207
demon_god04
~Hi -mi- tsu des~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_Hope
I cant help but laugh at that.... atleast hes getting some recongnition....
demon_god04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-13, 16:19   Link #208
Last_Hope
System/Web developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan
Lol, did Durandal get nominated? At least he was a real villain.
I donīt know, all I know is that Shinn was nominated. Something I found to be very amusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon_god04
I cant help but laugh at that.... atleast hes getting some recongnition....
Exactly.

Want to know who did this kickass sig? Just click it!
Last_Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-14, 08:58   Link #209
DropDeadEd
Who knew?

Send a message via AIM to DropDeadEd Send a message via MSN to DropDeadEd
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo69
i just thought it would be Ok to make a thread

Credits=Gunota headlines http://aeug.blogspot.com/

Monthly Gundam Power Rankings
This month's Gundam power rankings in Gundam Ace.

i'm shock Destiny Gundam beating I-justice on the poll not saying Destiny looks fugly cuz it dont but just surprised..
other than that Akatsuki is doing well and strike Freedom along with kira are still keeping their no.1 spot.. unlike most of the C.E characters..
just give lacus a MS and it will sure to be Ranking no.1

What the proverbial hell? @ Kira outranking Amuro Ray

@ Strike Freedom > Nu Gundam? (Why isn't Hi-Nu even on that list?)

Did Kira somehow gain Newtype abilities out of his rectal cavities?
DropDeadEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-14, 12:21   Link #210
demon_god04
~Hi -mi- tsu des~

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandsleepy
March 2006 Animedia Best Character
No. 9 - Stellar Loussier (GSD)
No. 10 - Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
No. 11 - Train Hartnett (Black Cat)
No. 12 - Kurosaki Ichigo (Bleach)
No. 13 - Riza Hawkeye (Full Metal Alchemist)
No. 14 - Shin Asuka (GSD)
Im more choked about Stellar beating Hawkeye, Ichigo, Train, and Sakura in "Best Character" when her dialogue consists of basically 4 words...... -.- Actually im surprised shes even ON the damn list for best character to begin with.....

And Cagalli and Lacus beating Saber is..... oh well
Old 2006-03-14, 13:32   Link #211
SNT1
r0x0rz j00r b0x0rz

Quote:
What the proverbial hell? @ Kira outranking Amuro Ray

@ Strike Freedom > Nu Gundam? (Why isn't Hi-Nu even on that list?)

Did Kira somehow gain Newtype abilities out of his rectal cavities?
this is because its more of a favorite poll, not who the better pilot is. GSD and Zeta are the most recent Gundam show and movies released, therefore mechs and characters of the movies are tops right now.
SNT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-14, 14:01   Link #212
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon_god04
Im more choked about Stellar beating Hawkeye, Ichigo, Train, and Sakura in "Best Character" when her dialogue consists of basically 4 words...... -.- Actually im surprised shes even ON the damn list for best character to begin with.....

And Cagalli and Lacus beating Saber is..... oh well
Just shows how incredibly shallow fans are getting in Japan. Stellar wasn't even a well-done character... >.>
Old 2006-03-14, 14:37   Link #213
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

Well I can understand Saber getting beaten because FSN is just, you know, a walking dog turd wrapped in a cliche, so the fact that its characters are even in the ranking it an accomplishment in and of itself. But Stella beating Ichigo, wow, that's not right. Surprised Shinn is so low considering I heard he was pretty popular in Japan. I guess not as popular as Kira!

*continues to adapt to the new official GSD character names...!*
Old 2006-03-14, 15:01   Link #214
Shadowscar
Reviewer of all anime

Problem with things like this is the most recent always stick out the most in our brains so anything newer is always going to have abetter chance then anything old

As per somebody who just watched Gundam Seed destiny, Then gundam wing, then Gundam Seed(half way thru it now) in that order

Gundam seed Destiny has almost no back bone to it, relaying on flash backs for character developement... So really The way i see it is Gundam Seed Destiny is just about making Big flashy Gundam's fight... Thus why we see alot of Gundam Seed Destiny seem to be on top (atleast in my mind lol)...

Gundam Seed had amazing character's created thru it but so far it has a lacking in raw mech power compared to the other series that i have watched, but the characters like Lacus have just dominated...

The mobile Suit Gundam wing characters and gundams are definately under rated in my mind, Although its hard to say thru power of anything as these are animated.. and if i wanna store a 1,000,000,000 megaton bomb in my right leg i sure as hell am going to for fun :P

Oh ya and if anybody is new coming into the gundam universe The only thing you need to know to enjoy it is

WATCH GUNDAM SEED before GUNDAM SEED DESTINY >_<

The main characters like kira, lacus etc have zero developement and just make you hate them because the story line puts nothing into them it actually takes away from there glory that they had in gundam seed
Shadowscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-14, 15:16   Link #215
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

Destiny is a nice super robot show, has a great story at the beginning, but once it starts it's like a reverse snowball effect. It just started sucking, and sucking some more, and sucking even more than that... etc, I can go on. IMO, they could've saved it with a better ending (omg, it had so much potential to have a good ending despite all the crap in the middle arcs with the Battle of Orb v2.15b starting in ep 40, but no) but it fell victim to recaps and the last two eps being exactly the same as the last two of Seed. I blame a lot of the Eleventh Hour rewrites it had, because I recall a lot of NT spoilers or mag spoilers in general never making it into the show (something about the Minerva kids meeting Andrew in Orb in ep8 or something, maybe that was a rumor...)

Our last hope is the movie version! And since it's being told from Athrun's perspective I really hope the stupid, overhyped Kira vs Shinn rivalry gets canned, or somehow they retcon the last half of the show because that's what really sucked about Destiny. Or give Athrun his manhood back, because that would drastically alter a lot of the Kira pwnage since Athrun would actually kick his ass back (and kick ass against other people, like Chaos, who he beat easily in a Zaku but never with Saviour). I would much rather preferred Strike Freedom showing up as a result of Kira getting "Savioured" by Athrun instead of Shinn's trademarked, I-can-only-kill-people-with-one-move-and-that-is-stabbing-my-big-sword-in-their-cockpit.
Old 2006-03-14, 15:32   Link #216
Shadowscar
Reviewer of all anime

/agreed! to the message above me!
Old 2006-03-14, 15:56   Link #217
demon_god04
~Hi -mi- tsu des~

Quote:
I blame a lot of the Eleventh Hour rewrites it had, because I recall a lot of NT spoilers or mag spoilers in general never making it into the show (something about the Minerva kids meeting Andrew in Orb in ep8 or something, maybe that was a rumor...)
There were alot of bogus previews showing up on the forums, like Shinn ending up on Archangel and meeting the old caste, Kira giving Shin Freedom's nuclear reactor to put in Destiny, I think at one point there was a preview saying Cagalli was going to die.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103
Just shows how incredibly shallow fans are getting in Japan. Stellar wasn't even a well-done character... >.>
I still wonder by which standards are they judging "Best character", Stellar was barely even a character. She was 4 words wrapped in a girls body.... now if it was "Best Looking Character" I'd still disagree but atleast that just means my tastes in character designs are differant then the voters -.-
Old 2006-03-14, 16:59   Link #218
Shadowscar
Reviewer of all anime

she cried alot also, and killed an entire cities in a few seconds... i guess that could be were its based from lol

oh wait she also danced... thats huge bonus :P and by dance i mean spin around and fall in water trying to kill her self

Great roll model :P
Old 2006-03-16, 22:36   Link #219
DropDeadEd
Who knew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNT1
this is because its more of a favorite poll, not who the better pilot is. GSD and Zeta are the most recent Gundam show and movies released, therefore mechs and characters of the movies are tops right now.

Ah so. I figured as much.

I was shocked. If it were about real Pilot Rankings (a la SRW type), I'd protest that they don't even have the CCA Amuro up there.
Old 2006-03-16, 22:39   Link #220
DropDeadEd
Who knew?

Quote:
Well I can understand Saber getting beaten because FSN is just, you know, a walking dog turd wrapped in a cliche, so the fact that its characters are even in the ranking it an accomplishment in and of itself. But Stella beating Ichigo, wow, that's not right. Surprised Shinn is so low considering I heard he was pretty popular in Japan. I guess not as popular as Kira!

*continues to adapt to the new official GSD character names...!*

The breasts did it @ Stellar > most.