AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-20, 01:32   Link #461
Spectrum
Bene Gesserit witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelion Xgouki View Post
Huh, the thread seems to be littered with a few complaints on DVD issues (timecodes mostly) and translation inconsistencies (Arf/Alf/Aruf). Well, hope the A's release will be better.
Still working through S1 (and re-watching My Hime simultaneously, hence the slowness). The timecode thing is *really* annoying.

WMP won't seek properly. MPC won't seek properly. I even tried out the Windows Media Center player and I couldn't even figure out how to get that to seek because I never use the POS.

Buuuuut...VLC does seek! Because VLC really flat out doesn't care what condition your file is in. XD Shame I don't really like watching DVDs using it...
Old 2008-12-20, 02:16   Link #462
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post

Buuuuut...VLC does seek! Because VLC really flat out doesn't care what condition your file is in. XD Shame I don't really like watching DVDs using it...
Ehhh? That's really weird. A reason to redownload VLC, I guess.

I won't be able to watch my DVD boxset till I return home from college Saturday...I have everything mailed to my hometown since it's more reliable. The problem will be getting back Saturday evening and having a huge pile of DVD's and games to waste the night playing with, and yet have a Strike Witches RPG campaign to GM (and prepare for) the next Sunday ww
Old 2009-01-13, 16:05   Link #463
Shadow Angel
Hellraiser

Anyone pick up the second season yet?
Old 2009-01-13, 19:08   Link #464
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Angel View Post
Anyone pick up the second season yet?
Mine shipped from Amazon yesterday.
Old 2009-01-13, 20:56   Link #465
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Amazon Canada won't ship theirs till Jan 27th
Old 2009-01-15, 05:20   Link #466
Laevatein

DVD Pacific still seems to be waiting on it...
Old 2009-01-15, 20:22   Link #467
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

And it's here! *happy dance* Through two episodes already. Can't comment if the timecode thing is repeated since I watch on a low-end Sony player instead of the computer. Also can't comment on the dub since I watch it with subs. Let's see:

They're starting with "Raising" Heart right from the get-go this time.

Leti grew another t in her name: "Letti."

Arf is still "Aruf"...that's actually starting to grow on me, especially since it gets around the "You named your dog ARF?!" jokes. Fate's kinda like Ford from Stargate: Atlantis in that respect--she shouldn't get to name things.

Wolkenritter came out Volkenritter...hmm? Since I know nothing at all of German, I can't comment.

Two choices have me dancing in the streets with the happys: "Zafira" rather than "Zafila" and "Laevatein" rather than "Levantine"!!! Actually, three; Signum's "Panzergeist" was translated as "Armor Spirit"--Vita's spell ("Panzerschild," I think, but Graf Eisen's hard to follow in a language I don't understand at all) still was "Tank Barrier," though, which makes me a bit curious (Maybe I'll check the dub to see how they do the German-language spells)?

Anyway, I'm enjoying it immensely, which is the important thing.
Old 2009-01-16, 00:40   Link #468
Once and Current Subber

Something in my soul rebelled at "Armor Barrier". ;p

I consulted a couple of German-speaking Nanoha fans on the translation. Didn't end up keeping most of the German in the subs, though. The only captions that come up match the Japanese captions, which may be a bit weird for the dub, because they're not done consistently. Ah well, that's the way they wanted it.
Old 2009-01-16, 09:07   Link #469
Shadow Angel
Hellraiser

So how does Hayate and her knights sound?
Old 2009-01-16, 21:16   Link #470
TeleIce
*lurk lurk lurk*

Send a message via AIM to TeleIce
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Wolkenritter came out Volkenritter...hmm? Since I know nothing at all of German, I can't comment.
I'm no German expert, but I do believe that w's are pronounced as v's.
Old 2009-01-16, 21:51   Link #471
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleIce View Post
I'm no German expert, but I do believe that w's are pronounced as v's.
They are. I meant, I don't know enough German to say if either one is a correct German spelling (since German also has a V, such as in Vaterland) and what the different versions would mean, if it matters. Definitely a question for actual speakers of the language, not for me.
Old 2009-01-16, 22:24   Link #472
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
They are. I meant, I don't know enough German to say if either one is a correct German spelling (since German also has a V, such as in Vaterland) and what the different versions would mean, if it matters. Definitely a question for actual speakers of the language, not for me.
In German, V is pronounced like F.
Old 2009-01-17, 01:55   Link #473
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

W has a "V"ish sound in German.... "V" has an "F"-like sound.
Old 2009-01-17, 18:35   Link #474
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Getting even more intriguing, belatedly I realize (with some online translations) that "Volkenritter" and "Wolkenritter" would have different meaning in German, with Volkenritter being something like "Knights of the People" (I can't believe it took me that long to think of "der Volk") while "Wolkenritter" would be "Cloud Knights." Zafira's line in ep. 6 about being "the clouds which gather around our master" or however it went sounds like it should be a reference to the literal meaning of "Wolkenritter," but who knows? Clearly the Japanese licensors wanted "Volkenritter" for some specific reason. Maybe it relates to their preferred model of car?

Most importantly, I'm now onto disk 2 and everything's consistent. That's way more important than nitpicking anyway--amazing what you can do when you actually have enough time to do the work on the whole project instead of changing things at the last minute, right, Avatar?

...flipped over to the dub to save my wife's ears; the knights' voices are nicely distinctive from each other and to match their personalities, and I genuinely like Vita and Shamal's voices. Hayate is the only one of the five I find considerably better in Japanese.

...man, with every episode that passes I'm reminded of why I loathe the Lieze twins with a depth of maliceful hatred I usually reserve for members of the New York Yankees.
Old 2009-01-18, 19:22   Link #475
michelleann
Just a silly voice actor

Hey guys. I just wanted to pop over here and say thank you to everyone who has picked up copies of the US release of Nanoha and Nanoha A's. It's been really interesting reading this thread and seeing the reviews for the dub. I can't wait to read more comments on A's. I got my copy on release day and devoured it. I enjoyed A's (both the show itself and the dub) a lot more than the first season.

Anyways, enough rambling from me! Just wanted to say thank you. Have a great day!
Old 2009-01-23, 20:17   Link #476
Ryand-Smith
Mecha Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Ryand-Smith Send a message via MSN to Ryand-Smith
Hey its no problem, I'm a wandering animation student, so I have to help the industry after all. I have my A's in the MacBook so I'm just going to marathon it tonight post class. Its nice to talk to staff of a project by the way.
Old 2009-01-25, 07:18   Link #477
mastapsi

Just finished watching the A's dub. I am torn. For the most part I enjoyed the VA's, with the exception of Signum's self-admitted rough start, though that straighted out fairly quickly, and a bit of an issue with Vita. The real problem here is that the script hovers between mediocre and terrible at some points. The pacing in general is bad with the dialog being given in often awkward manners and orders, and some of the lines are just terrible. Some of the translations are bad too.

Vita's VA. I genuinely liked Vita's English VA, and she fits the character perfectly. The problem is when Vita delivers a particularly emphatic line. When she does, her voice becomes nearly unintelligible. There were several lines in the first episode that I did not catch due to this. This usually isn't a problem since it is usually pretty easy to guess what she said (usually "damn you").

The Raising/Raging thing. Not only were they inconsistent between the two seasons (with Raging used in S1), but they were inconsistent in S2, where they use both... within seconds of each other. They do this in Episode 4, when Nanoha activates Raging/Raising Heart for the first time after its repaired. Nanoha uses "Raging Heart" when she first activates it (before the actual activation), and Amy uses "Raising Heart" when explaining the new parts, then Nanoha uses "Raising Heart Excelion". Literally seconds. Cue the Raging/Raising debate, again.

Finally, in the dub, following Nanoha physically piercing the Reinforce/Book of Darkness's barrier with the Excelion Buster A. C. S. , rather than just keeping the "Break Shoot", they decided to translate that as "Starlight Breaker". I seriously have no idea how they managed that. In fact, this entire scene is pretty terrible, which is a shame, as it is possibly my favorite Nanoha scene, right up there with Quattro getting blasted.

Good job on the VA's part, just wish the translators/writers would be a little more attentive, considering they had how many years to work on the script since this was first licensed.
Old 2009-01-25, 22:34   Link #478
Once and Current Subber

Keep in mind that they did not have "many years" to work on it; the project was completed in something of a rush as Geneon prepared to sack its entire production department. (And on something of a shoestring too; if I had cut my rates any lower, I'd have been able to claim the difference as an in-kind charitable contribution on my tax return...)
Old 2009-05-09, 05:04   Link #479
Deus_Ex_Obscurum

Honestly...I hated the dub.

Nanoha's voice was way too piercing in my opinion. In the japanese she was softer and whilst I fully admit nine year olds can be so very grating...just didn't mesh.

Fate was flat and emotionless. In the sub her voice had restrained emotion but now...

Geneon massacred it. Nanoha dub to me is like the Tsukihime anime for those that played the game.

The one redeeming quality was oddly Bardiche. Sounded much better and more "scythe-like" if that makes any sense what-so-ever.
Old 2010-02-09, 21:26   Link #480
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I just heard from a friend who bought a Nanoha dub in Chinese... And it sounded redonkuclous