AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-10-13, 21:31   Link #121
Kakkou
Tch.

Shinjurou's "It may not be a matter of who or when but why" (or something like that) pretty much sums up my feelings for the first mystery. It was plain as day to the point you could map out a rough idea of the killer and method before the guy even died. Only thing left was the motive. I hope they come up with better cases than this.

OP/ED are good, especially the ED. LAMA is really growing on me and the visuals are nice. Aki Toyosaki was pretty swell as Inga. This is probably her first lead role where I actually like her voice work. The premier didn't really do much to draw me in but was alright enough for me to stick around for now. If anything I'd watch it just to find out what'd the deal with Inga's supernatural powers and how the two of them met.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 21:35   Link #122
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

That was interesting. I felt a bit overwhelmed at first with just how many different names they were throwing at me, but maybe it's because I'm tired and it's late, but other than that, it was definitely not a bad ride. The mystery was somewhat cookie cutter and didn't really have any particularly memorable twist to it. Still, I liked most of the dialogue, and visually the show has a very distinctive air to it, which fits well for a detective series. The music was equally good, and I love that more classic guitar piece at the end where Yuuki started explaining stuff.

Other than that, I'm also a bit relieved that the supernatural Panda Lady part wasn't as exaggerated as I thought it'd be. Having a shot at one question could actually work well as a plot device. At least for as long as they don't have him asking directly "are you the culprit", haha. As it is, it's a nice trump card for the detective, who certainly can't go around wasting his shot while being completely clueless about the case. Not a fan of magical plot devices, but I guess this is far from being a horrible one as long as they keep it in check.

Overall, it wasn't great, but it didn't bore me either. There's loads of room to improve here, so I'll be back for another few weeks. Aside from the mystery solving, the small flashback before the OP also had me intrigued, so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou
Shinjurou's "It may not be a matter of who or when but why" (or something like that) pretty much sums up my feelings for the first mystery
Haha. I must agree with this, although this particular line brought a smile to my face. It just screams "classic conceited detective line" that would fit every other great detective story. I could picture Poirot saying something along those lines, although I'm certain it would sound somewhat more française!
Old 2011-10-13, 21:39   Link #123
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

For those who are confused, Inga is a GIRL. She's just very... lacking in her smaller form. I'm pretty sure about this.

Anyway, I love the OP and ED. Both the songs and visuals were great (with School Food Punishment's song being the best of the two). The BGM is nice to listen to and helps the plot illustrate its points/retain the mood well.

I find Rie EXTREMELY annoying for some reason. Not that she has an annoying personality or design, I'm just really turned off by her in general and I can't explain why. Maybe if she gets some character development I'll change my mind later on, but for now she's just a pest to me in any scene she appears in -- especially if she's in a scene with her father or Izumi... who I actually find twice as annoying.

Otherwise, no complaints. I like the setting. In a lot of anime you either see a COMPLETELY destroyed post-apocalyptic Japan, a futuristic Tokyo, or some made-up city that is just a wannabe Japanese city. I think a setting with recently-ended wartime type of environment (where part of the city is actually still intact) is kinda neat.

It'll be interesting to learn more about these characters down the line. I like Inga and Shinjurou quite a bit (even Rinroku seems like he may be pretty interesting).
Kismet-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 22:01   Link #124
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

So is Inga a trap or what
Old 2011-10-13, 22:08   Link #125
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Heh, someone on ANN pointed out this fun little easter egg:

wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 22:30   Link #126
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
For those who are confused, Inga is a GIRL. She's just very... lacking in her smaller form. I'm pretty sure about this.
Seiyuu doesn't agree...

Quote:
Toyosaki said she was excited to win the role of Inga after an audition.

"I want to play Inga in a mysterious and innocent manner so that I can pull the charm out of him with my acting," Toyosaki was quoted as saying.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 22:31   Link #127
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
So is Inga a trap or what
All sites I've personally looked at with info on UN-GO list her as female (in both forms). Of course, that might be inaccurate. Perhaps her smaller form is just not well-endowed/doesn't bare as much femininity as people would prefer or can easily identify with, maybe possibly as a disguise or to conserve energy...? That is, IF Inga is female, which seems to be up in the air at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Seiyuu doesn't agree...
Maybe Toyosaki was mistaken? Until either the director/producer says it or if a character in the show says it outright, I'm considering Inga 100% female.

Plus, if Inga is really a guy (or some weird guy/girl combo thingy), wouldn't Shinjurou have been verbally/noticeably disgusted by that kiss?
Old 2011-10-13, 22:32   Link #128
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
Heh, someone on ANN pointed out this fun little easter egg
So how long before she stars in her own NoitaminA show?
Old 2011-10-13, 22:39   Link #129
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
All sites I've personally looked at with info on UN-GO list her as female (in both forms). Her smaller form is just not well-endowed/doesn't bare as much femininity as people would prefer or can easily identify with, maybe possibly as a disguise or to conserve energy... that is, IF Inga is female.

Maybe Toyosaki was mistaken? Until either the director/producer says it or if a character in the shows says it outright, I'm considering Inga 100% female.
Actually, I've yet to see a site list Inga as female, FWIW. I guess someone could read Meiji Kaika Ango Torimono-chō if they want to know for sure, but it's not translated to English as far as I know.
Old 2011-10-13, 22:47   Link #130
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Plus, if Inga is really a guy (or some weird guy/girl combo thingy), wouldn't Shinjurou have been verbally/noticeably disgusted by that kiss?
Well, you're forgetting that part of the male population actually likes getting kissed by other men as opposed to women. More likely Shinjurou is just used to Panda Lady's antics, he did look rather put upon when she appeared.

Quote:
Actually, I've yet to see a site list Inga as female, FWIW. I guess someone could read Meiji Kaika Ango Torimono-chō if they want to know for sure, but it's not translated to English as far as I know.
Wait, you're telling me that a crazy, possibly gender transforming side-kick is actually in the original story? These sound like kinda trippy stories....
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 23:33   Link #131
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

When you're some crazy being able to shoot butterflies into people's eyes and what not, does the normal question of gender even matter? She/he/it has boobs in butterfly mode, so as long as there isn't anything dangling down there that you feel when she/he/it presses up to you to plant a smooch on your face, who cares?
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 00:49   Link #132
musouka

Quote:
Or just look at the official website, where Inga is listed as a "bishounen."
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 01:10   Link #133
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yeah, Google Translate chokes on the character pages so I wasn't sure, but that's pretty much what I figured.
Old 2011-10-14, 02:19   Link #134
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
??
I was pretty sure we had a discussion about how he's actually a boy like two months ago. You can search through the thread if you want, but he was confirmed male.
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 02:26   Link #135
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Okay the culprit reveal wasn't too shocking (I already guessed the minute that girl collapsed from the wine), the motive was a bit circumspect (you can't make that sort of love genuine or sympathetic and they tried to) and it did rely on a convenient power to get behind the case (they didn't really need it since they had already proved her guily with the trousers), but these were only minor problems I'd be nitpicking at compared to how great just about everything else was. I want to know more about Shinjuro and Inga and I'm already hoping to ship Shinjuro with Rei.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 02:31   Link #136
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

So, did I interpret it correctly that Shinjuro is called the "Defeated Detective" because even though he always solves the case, they're all covered up by Rei's father, hence the public thinks Rei's father is the real genius detective?

Also, I doubt this is a show where romance is going to play a central part, but I know that never stops the shipping. Still, it's not like Rei has a whole lot of competition, eh?
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 02:52   Link #137
black_star
How should i say it?

Quote:
W...ww...WHAT? Inga is a GIRL? Man, she looks transgendered.
Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice! - Doquixote Doflamingo

MAL Twitter
black_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 04:22   Link #138
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

To be honest, I enjoyed this more than I enjoyed Guilty Crown episode 1 (I enjoyed that too, but not as much). I like it, definite keeper. Better main character for sure.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 04:32   Link #139
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_star View Post
W...ww...WHAT? Inga is a GIRL? Man, she looks transgendered.
Apparently, according to a couple of other posters and the official site, I'm wrong and Inga is a boy. Which angers me because of the ridiculousness/nonsensical nature of it. Why have a little boy that transforms into a mature female form? That's very... Sailor Stars-ish? *Sighs* I will never understand the Japanese...
Old 2011-10-14, 05:52   Link #140
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Apparently, according to a couple of other posters and the official site, I'm wrong and Inga is a boy. Which angers me because of the ridiculousness/nonsensical nature of it. Why have a little boy that transforms into a mature female form? That's very... Sailor Stars-ish? *Sighs* I will never understand the Japanese...

The character page doesn't post anything for Inga yet. So where is the other proof of gender?

That design has gone too far female not to be considered female. Besides, the official subs labeled adult form as female.

Tags
aikawa, bones, mizushima, noitamina