AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Who are your favorite characters?
Alto Saotome 202 36.59%
Sheryl Nome 388 70.29%
Ranka Lee 159 28.80%
Brera Sterne 75 13.59%
Ozma Lee 127 23.01%
Cathy Glass 62 11.23%
Klan Klan 203 36.78%
Mikhail Blanc (aka Michel) 156 28.26%
Luca Angeloni 24 4.35%
Nanase Matsuura 23 4.17%
Canaria Berstein 18 3.26%
Leon Mishima 13 2.36%
Howard Glass 6 1.09%
Grace O'Connor 41 7.43%
Bobby Margot 61 11.05%
Nene Rora 14 2.54%
Raramia Rerenia 13 2.36%
Jeffrey Wilder 18 3.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-13, 00:00   Link #161
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalem View Post
If she became a carbon copy of Sheryl she would still be disliked. Why do we want a copy when we have the real deal? No, she needs to come into her own. A growth spurt to get rid of that loli moe design certainly wouldn't hurt either.
I can't say I am big on the loli scene, but I don't see anything wrong with Ranka being the way she is. Physically, anyway.

I don't suppose I can blame her for constantly getting into trouble, but that cannot be helped. Nonetheless, Ranka is her own character with her own growth. Sheryl is an inspiration for Ranka, but I think Ranka fully recognizes her own value and potential. In other words, she does not seek to become Sheryl #2.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-07-13, 00:01   Link #162
zalem

Well, the growth spurt wouldn't hurt because then at least I wouldn't cringe every time I see Alto and Ranka together.
Old 2008-07-13, 00:03   Link #163
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalem View Post
Well, the growth spurt wouldn't hurt because then at least I wouldn't cringe every time I see Alto and Ranka together.
Oh, I don't mind that, because I want to be extremely comfortable, with a warm and fluffy feeling inside whenever I see Sheryl and Alto together.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-07-13, 00:17   Link #164
wolfboy
:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
Ranka didn't become the underdog until the end of episode 6 with the earring gift and the goodbye concert. In fact, if we take the deculture version of episode 1 into account then Ranka was the presumed leading lady for over 5 months. The Ranka support base was strong and healthy going into the series while Sheryl's was almost non-existant with many Frontier's fans hostile or at the very least ambivalent to Sheryl's character.
More like Episode 4 where she lost the Miss Macross contest. And I don't know where you're getting this non-existant Sheryl fans from. I'm pretty sure Sheryl fans have been fans since the beginning and they're the same people posting now.

Quote:
Unlike what Wolfboy suggests, the show's fans were in fact not rooting for the underdog, Sheryl. It took episode 5 to really grab the audiences' attention and then it took episode 6 to install an initial fanbase. After that, Sheryl's character development has slowly, but solidly, won over a number of fans while at the same time maintaining the loyalty of the older fans. It has been quite fascinating to watch the evolution of the main characters' fanbases. Just go look at the older episode threads and listen to how the tones and opinions evolved.
Sheryl was never the underdog, especially not after episode 5. Besides, she can't be an underdog, she's Sheryl.

Also, this whole moe/loli thing is a ridiculous argument. People have problems with it, but Klan is somehow #2 on the list.
Old 2008-07-13, 00:22   Link #165
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
Sheryl was never the underdog, especially not after episode 5. Besides, she can't be an underdog, she's Sheryl.

Also, this whole moe/loli thing is a ridiculous argument. People have problems with it, but Klan is somehow #2 on the list.
Sheryl is an underdog? Heh, I don't know who said that but I did not believe in one second that Sheryl was the underdog. The underdog from episode 1 ~ 11 had been Ranka, who pulled a super in 12 and offset the balance.

Prior to that, Sheryl was never the underdog, she was on top of everything you can possibly imagine. Yes, she became an underdog as of episode 12, but she already had 11 episodes worth of a head start.

- Tak

Old 2008-07-13, 00:29   Link #166
wolfboy

I wouldn't say she's becoming the underdog after 12, more like topdog falling tragically under unusual circumstances.
Old 2008-07-13, 00:33   Link #167
Tak

Quote:
I wouldn't say she's becoming the underdog after 12, more like topdog falling tragically under unusual circumstances.
Well, previously, I described her situation as "being sledgehammered to the head, stabbed multiple times and kicked while down". I thought I should change my stance and use a milder term.

- Tak

Old 2008-07-13, 00:43   Link #168
wolfboy

Either way, she's probably going to end up stopping the war co-op with Ranka. That'll boost her status back up or she'll end up with Alto in a quieter life tossing the fame.

EDIT: Actually nevermind, she probably wouldn't toss the fame. She'll juggle both.
Old 2008-07-13, 01:03   Link #169
Tak

Quote:
EDIT: Actually nevermind, she probably wouldn't toss the fame. She'll juggle both.
Come to think of it, in terms of fame, Alto isn't so shabby himself

I totally see him being part of her music video.

- Tak

Old 2008-07-13, 01:19   Link #170
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:

At least Klan Klan has an adult form. That helps her A LOT I'm sure.
Old 2008-07-13, 01:19   Link #171
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

Curiously, Alto and Ranka's ratings have been in sync for the past few days.

But what I'm worried about is that they're slowly creeping into Klan's second place position.
Old 2008-07-13, 01:51   Link #172
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGloval View Post
But what I'm worried about is that they're slowly creeping into Klan's second place position.
Bah, for a secondary character with very few screen time, she is doing a hell of a job. We shouldn't ask for more, after all, this is not her story.

- Tak

Old 2008-07-13, 02:29   Link #173
wolfboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
At least Klan Klan has an adult form. That helps her A LOT I'm sure.
True...but in terms of loli, Ranka's not even that bad. I understand though. It's the same reason I root for Eri/Yakumo in School Rumble instead of Tenma.
Old 2008-07-13, 06:21   Link #174
hai_san

oh ho Ranka overtakes Alto for the first time and getting 3rd Place, slowly they approach Klein's position, Klein needs more screentime !!
Old 2008-07-13, 08:48   Link #175
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
More like Episode 4 where she lost the Miss Macross contest.
How did losing a contest which had nothing do with the love triangle put Ranka in the underdog position? After episode 3 and 4 Ranka X Alto fans were running riot here and on online blogs and Sheryl fans were in the minority, episode 5 changed everything.

Quote:
And I don't know where you're getting this non-existant Sheryl fans from.
He's not saying Sheryl fans were non-existent, he's saying that after Deculture there was mostly Ranka fans, you seem to forget how popular the Nyan Nyan dance part was. Sheryl's popularity exploded from episode 5 Star Date and onwards, this episode was the clear launching pad for Sheryl. The only place that was completely pro Sheryl from the start was Chinese forums, English forums became this way and in Japan it's still fairly even between the two girls.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Sheryl fans have been fans since the beginning and they're the same people posting now.
That's why I've seen countless people over numerous forums say during episodes 5-8 and onwards that they love Sheryl now when they thought she was a complete bitch earlier on? I've seen a girl on ANN go from "I dislike Sheryl because she reminds me of a bitch from school" to "Sheryl is so awesome now, I love what they have done with her!!!". I'm sure there's at least 2 dozen or so people here who became Sheryl fans after episode 5 and I'm being conservative with those numbers.

Quote:
Just like how she couldn't get shot down by Varja because she's Sheryl? That worked out real good didn't it. She's in the underdog position but she's a completely different underdog to what Ranka was from 5-11. Check the spoilers thread to see how long she stays in that position or if she's still in it...
Old 2008-07-13, 12:45   Link #176
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
I was a Sheryl fan from the first episode, but that has more to do with the fact that I don't like Loli's.

What can I say, girls half my age don't appeal to me?
Old 2008-07-13, 12:49   Link #177
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
I was a Sheryl fan from the first episode, but that has more to do with the fact that I don't like Loli's.
I know I will like Sheryl because she came out a bitch in the first episode. If she was all sweet n' sticky, I don't think I'd like her at all, regardless of looks.

- Tak

Old 2008-07-13, 14:19   Link #178
wolfboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
How did losing a contest which had nothing do with the love triangle put Ranka in the underdog position? After episode 3 and 4 Ranka X Alto fans were running riot here and on online blogs and Sheryl fans were in the minority, episode 5 changed everything.
Because underdog refers to her position as a love interest and nothing else, right?

Quote:
He's not saying Sheryl fans were non-existent, he's saying that after Deculture there was mostly Ranka fans, you seem to forget how popular the Nyan Nyan dance part was. Sheryl's popularity exploded from episode 5 Star Date and onwards, this episode was the clear launching pad for Sheryl. The only place that was completely pro Sheryl from the start was Chinese forums, English forums became this way and in Japan it's still fairly even between the two girls.
I'll take your word for it. I'm not going back to re-read all those threads again.

Quote:
Just like how she couldn't get shot down by Varja because she's Sheryl? That worked out real good didn't it.
That's called hitting reality and has nothing to do with being an underdog. It would be absurd for her to come out unscratched.

Quote:
She's in the underdog position but she's a completely different underdog to what Ranka was from 5-11. Check the spoilers thread to see how long she stays in that position or if she's still in it...
Going from the top to the bottom because your manager's trying to kill you =/= underdog.
Old 2008-07-13, 14:52   Link #179
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

The term "underdog" generally refers to someone who is at a disadvantage. The reasons for that disadvantage don't matter in themselves. You can't be a topdog while being on the bottom.

By using the term, people are hinting at the crisis/catharsis setup which most stories seem to follow. It doesn't have anything to do with strength of character.
Old 2008-07-14, 00:17   Link #180
wolfboy

In this case, it kind of does. Were she to become underdog because Ranka beat her at her own game fair and square, then it'd be a true loss, but it only happened because of Grace's meddling. But who knows how things turn out. Maybe she really will replace Sheryl genuinely. And maybe your definition of underdog is different from mine, but that's how I feel about it.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters, favorite