AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-03, 20:36   Link #1
lune776

Looking for Anime that deals with the following topics...

Hi guys,

I'm not terribly familiar with Anime; Miyazaki is really the extent of my knowledge. But I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions on anime that deals with the following:

1) Japanese language/culture; I'm looking for anime that reveals or provides insights into Japanese culture; Buddhist thoughts; Japanese cultural events, etc. I'm looking for something along the lines of Ikkyusan (it has a lot of puns and depicts the life of Buddhist monks)

2) Japanese society; Something that reflects Japanese society at the time of its creation or specific times it aims to depict (something like Grave of the Fireflies)

3) Social issues; An anime that touches on issues such as pollution, welfare, etc.

4) Women-related issues; Is there an anime that addresses women's issues/rights?

Thanks, I'd appreciate any suggestions you all might have.

Arigato gozaimasu!
Old 2009-03-03, 20:51   Link #2
james0246

Can you tell us which Miyazaki films you have seen? Because if you haven't seen all the Ghibli films, that should be your first stop (For instance, Pom Poko, Whisper of the Heart, and Only Yesterday immediatly spring to mind).
Old 2009-03-03, 20:58   Link #3
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

1. I'd suggest anything that involves lots of ghost hunting. These are a great way to get to know japanese mythology and such. A very good suggestion for what you're looking for is probably Mokke and perhaps Natsume Yuujinchou

2. Oh man, there's many. If you specifically want a period piece, there are a million samurai drama out there. The most gritty and realistic one is Shigurui but for something a little more romantic, there's always Rurouni Kenshin. Going beyond samurai era, you don't get a lot of anime set in the early 1900s Japan. If you want to see some in the 80s or so, watching drama series from that time period is probably fine, I suggest Maison Ikkoku or Touch. If you want a more modern society outlook on Japan, anything from director Satoshi Kon will probably be up your alley, and OH! Actually his movie Millennium Actress spans the whole history of Japan! that's a great choice. I'd also suggest the light novel Boogiepop and Others (available in the US but hard to find in stores) which is a great portrait of modern Japanese psychology.

3. Your best choice is definitely Earth Maiden Arjuna and others may include FLAG for wartime and Welcome to the NHK for more osycho-social issues.

4. There is nothing dealing with women's rights per say, but there are anime made for women that certainly tackle their issues, most notably Nana.

All those should get you off to a great start. If you want to see some anime that are a huge integral part of Japanese culture to the point that every Japanese citizen knows about them, I'd suggest series like Ashita no Joe, Doraemon, and Touch.

If you'd like to see some of the most widely regarded anime out there that take place in real Japan, I suggest Honey and Clover and, once again, Nana

It hasn't been made an anime yet, but the manga series 20th Century Boys is an absolutely integral modern work that is greatly insightful of Japan of the 70s and today.

Hope I've been helpful.
Old 2009-03-03, 21:08   Link #4
Nosauz

Dues, when you mention touch, wouldn't any adachi series fit,

Genshiken is pretty good, its a slice of life that deals with otaku, whom are a japanese phenomenon and the different types of women within otaku culture.
Old 2009-03-03, 22:04   Link #5
lune776

I've seen Totoro, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Laputa, Kiki, and Princess Mononoke (although not recently). I know Miyazaki deals with a lot of environmental issues among others. Thanks so much for your comments and recommendations so far, I really appreciate them!
Old 2009-03-03, 22:09   Link #6
james0246

Since Deus ex Digital Boy allready picked the majority of what I was going to recommend (strong seconds for all Satoshi Kon films, especially Millenium Actress (which covers a large portion of what you are looking for) and Tokyo Godfathers), I will also put forward Kamichu!.
Old 2009-03-03, 22:32   Link #7
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

OH snap yes, DEFINITELY second Kamichu which is not only excellent portrayl of Japanese mythos but also an 80s Japan period piece. Excellent choice.
Old 2009-03-04, 04:42   Link #8
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

this is quite old, however "Haikarasan ga Touru" is one of the few anime/manga that actually deals with feminism and it also happens to show the japan of the afterwar.

Old 2009-03-04, 09:37   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Many modern series have feminist themes, sometimes subtly presented, sometimes less so. In a contemporary setting, Hataraki Man portrays the difficulties faced by professional women in the still quite patriarchal Japanese workplace. The heroine is a 28-yo editor working for a Japanese magazine.

The story of Saiunkoku Monogatari concerns a 16-yo girl who wants to become the first female Imperial official in the fantasy Asian empire of Saiunkoku. Her difficulties achieving her dream, and the resentment she faces from the male officials, make up a substantial portion of the story.

In Twelve Kingdoms, another imperial Asian fantasy, children are not conceived through sexual intercourse, and the women are thus liberated from the demands of child-bearing and child-rearing. (People still have sex, but purely for pleasure.) The implications of this fact for gender equality are discussed throughout the show.

Both these shows are based on light novels by female authors, as is Seirei no Moribito, which portrays a 30-ish female bodyguard entrusted with the protection of a young prince in yet another fantasy Asian empire. Balsa is as strong a woman as you'll find in anime, but she doesn't seem to suffer much as a result of her gender, despite the rather traditional roles occupied by other female characters in the show.

Shows like Tweeny Witches, Angelic Layer, Dennou Coil, Noein, Nijuu Mensou no Musume, or Shion no Ou portray self-motivated young girls who don't rely on men or boys to support them. In series with older protagonists like Planetes or Nodame Cantabile, the female lead does rely on an older and more experienced male "senpai" at the outset, but in both cases the women find their own paths, even as the romance blossoms. Not all series with young adult women rely on this pattern, of course. Romance doesn't really concern Nina Fortner, the German law student in Monster; she has much more important issues to confront.

One other, unrelated show I'll mention is Oh! Edo Rocket which portrays Japan in the 1840's as it copes with the arrival of the West and discontent among the populace after the famine and unrest of the previous decade. Though the show is wildly anachronistic (people have TVs and blogs, for instance), it does depict some historical events like the 1837 rebellion in Osaka and the imposition of censorship by the Shogunate soon thereafter. The low social position of tradesmen and craftsmen is also a recurring theme.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2009-03-04 at 09:55.
Old 2009-03-04, 10:25   Link #10
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
One other, unrelated show I'll mention is Oh! Edo Rocket which portrays Japan in the 1840's as it copes with the arrival of the West and discontent among the populace after the famine and unrest of the previous decade. Though the show is wildly anachronistic (people have TVs and blogs, for instance), it does depict some historical events like the 1837 rebellion in Osaka and the imposition of censorship by the Shogunate soon thereafter.
Heh, while we're on the subject of wild anachronism, be sure to catch Samurai Champloo, too. It's essentially a samurai-action drama ("chambara") mixed with heavy doses of modern Japanese hip-hop and R&B. One of the lead characters wears a pair of Oakleys even though the show is set in Tokugawa Japan (1603 to 1868), while another one fights with a frenetic mix of martial arts.

As for an anime set in a specific period of Japanese history, I'm surprised that SeijiSensei neglected to mention the ongoing The Tale of Genji, an anniversary project based on Japan's most famous historical novel.

For anime on social issues, I strongly second the recommendation of Planetes, which deals not only with the consequences of pollution in outer space, but also with nationalistic conflicts arising from the divide between rich and poor countries.

If you're willing to explore a bit outside Japanese-themed anime, I'll also highly recommend my favourite anime, Haibane Renmei, which deals with the important social issues of coping with loneliness and finding personal salvation. The anime is not set in Japan, and it features angel-like characters that seem more relevant to Judeo-Christian mythology, but it deals with its subject matter from a uniquely Japanese perspective.

And I can't believe I nearly forgot to include Toshokan Sensou (Library War). It deals with the issue of censorship and features Japanese librarians who take up arms to defend books against brutish censors. It's an anime that would instantly appeal to all raging leftist Che Guevara-wannabe otakus out there!

For anime on women issues, Kurenai is worth watching. It may not appear feminist at first glance, but that's because it surfaces those issues in more subversive ways.

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2009-03-04 at 10:36.
Old 2009-03-04, 11:54   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I'm surprised that SeijiSensei neglected to mention the ongoing The Tale of Genji, an anniversary project based on Japan's most famous historical novel.
I've avoided recommending Genji until there are more subs available. I'm putting my hopes on Yoroshiku, though they're having some problems translating the more formal Japanese used in this show. Japanese speakers can watch the show on YouTube.
Old 2009-03-04, 17:49   Link #12
blewin

1. Genshiken - looks into the otaku culture of Japan.

3. Welcome to NHK

Quote:
wiki entry:
Hikikomori (ひきこもり or 引き籠もり ,Hikikomori?, lit. "pulling away, being confined", i.e., "acute social withdrawal") is a Japanese term to refer to the phenomenon of reclusive individuals who have chosen to withdraw from social life...
I suppose this anime could also come under number 1.

Honey and Clover - the anxieties of college students and graduates in their uncertain futures.
Closed Thread