AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-10-05, 12:17   Link #241
durack

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post
pretty interesting premise. I don't expect anything great from this series though. Decent and if a bit more than that, then I'll take that as bonus. The characters are ok, fairly typical. What I don't like most is Cecily's design. A Knight dressed like a maid? Come on!
Well, this is Generic JRPG-ish anime, as such it's maid armor or thong armor, take your pick

IMHO, the best knight design I've seen recently was that girl from Regios, the one with curly blond hair.
durack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 12:29   Link #242
TrueKnight

Cecily is there as a fanservice character and that’s fact, I mean it’s a female knight wearing boob-plates along with a miniskirt. Hell it’s freaking obvious the main girls are meant to be a male-bait eyecandies. At least so far it’s building a plot.

And like they say, in shonen fantasy j-rpgs women wears revealing clothes….Yeah one of the few rare exceptions is Regios…
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 12:38   Link #243
deadlight
バカ うさぎ

Screen shots + Story of next episode....
http://www.blasmi.com/story/02/index.html
deadlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 12:45   Link #244
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher View Post
AnimeNewsNetwork has (sofar) 12 episodes on their list. And since I don't see how this lighthearted anime will have more than 13 episodes, seeing cecily training in swordcombat is a poinless waste of time for us. Time would be better spend on the story or the cast.
Well, her getting better seems to be part of the story, and she is part of the cast. Honestly, I thought this should've been obvious or at least expected by now.

Personally, the only thing worth criticizing about Cecily at this point is her armour. Seriously, for something like that to be made of metal is a waste. It might not be as heavy, but it's obvious the anime is blatantly going for something maid-like in appearance.

Cecily announcing her name and heritage is reminiscent of samurai of yore, when at the battlefield they would announce their descent and the accomplishments of their clan. When she pulls out her broken sword it's a symbolic gesture more than anything, showing her dedication to what she believes in, for herself and in front of Luke who refused to forge her a new sword. The problem here is that the 'name-announcing' could get pretty old after a while, and the anime doesn't really need to remind its audience of this fact every now and then.

I think at this point it's utterly silly to criticize Cecily for being such a noob at her profession, because well, that's the point. Characters who start from zero are everywhere, and they exist in order to portray a story of growth. If her character doesn't grow and develop from this, then that's worth criticizing.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 12:49   Link #245
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Personally, the only thing worth criticizing about Cecily at this point is her armour. Seriously, for something like that to be made of metal is sort of a waste. It might not be as heavy, but it's obvious the anime is going for something maid-like in appearance.
It's a surprisingly common trope for only one purpose:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BreastPlate
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 12:49   Link #246
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Why complain if Cecily is an eyecandy knight? It IS an anime.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 12:51   Link #247
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Let's be fair.

Luke, I think, is just as much eyecandy to the female veiwers.
Old 2009-10-05, 13:05   Link #248
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Luke, I think, is just as much eyecandy to the female veiwers.
Exactly. Both are pretty much on the same level when it comes to fanservice for their target audience.
Old 2009-10-05, 13:25   Link #249
TrueKnight

No one’s actually complaining about Cecily’s character, she’s interesting as it is. If I could sum it up the only major complaints about her so far are her out of place maid-knight outfit (obviously) and her frequent family title declarations. I can live with the outfit because it was meant to be fanservice and pleases one's male eyes so no objection here. But if you start announcing your dad’s name more than 4 times in a single episode....

If you ignore her outfit and title declarations she’s could be a favorite for some.

And Luke against a cute maid-knight, hot spirit-sword girl and moe elf-mascot in a fanservice bout? Sorry even if Luke’s a badass but his bishieness loses this one, hardcore.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 13:28   Link #250
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight View Post
And Luke against a cute maid-knight, hot spirit-sword girl and moe elf-mascot in a fanservice bout? Sorry even if Luke’s a badass but his bishieness loses this one, hardcore.
Well there has to be something for the girls. I wouldn't be surpised if the bad guy turned out to be a Draco in Leather Pants.
Old 2009-10-05, 13:32   Link #251
Starry Dust
Lurkin' in ur threadz.

....but I like Luke's bishie-ness ( actually it's one of the more selfish reasons why I watched this)
Though in some shots he looks totally girly. Not that I'm complaining lol.

Wasn't the bad guy in the OP?
Starry Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 13:37   Link #252
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust Romance View Post
Wasn't the bad guy in the OP?
I wouldn't know. I usually skip them unless they're masterpieces. Even then I usually skip them or else don't pay much attention.
Old 2009-10-05, 14:06   Link #253
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight View Post
No one’s actually complaining about Cecily’s character, she’s interesting as it is.
Nope. Go back a few pages.

She's been quite the centre of attention lately... which only makes sense considering she carries the role of co-protagonist on her shoulders.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 14:26   Link #254
LKK

I see Cecily's frequent naming of herself to be an indication of her lack of confidence. She's over-compensating; partly to convince others of her worthiness to be a knight, partly to convince herself of her worthiness to be a knight. I hope that as her abilities and confidence grow, her need to declare her name will diminish. (Notice that I'm assuming her abilites will grow. Otherwise, the story will quickly become tiresome in my opinion.)

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 14:33   Link #255
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
I see Cecily's frequent naming of herself to be an indication of her lack of confidence. She's over-compensating; partly to convince others of her worthiness to be a knight, partly to convince herself of her worthiness to be a knight. I hope that as her abilities and confidence grow, her need to declare her name will diminish. (Notice that I'm assuming her abilites will grow. Otherwise, the story will quickly become tiresome in my opinion.)
Her development should be one of the main factors as the story progresses. If not like you said, then the show will seem quite tiresome if she ends up being the same old Cecily without any change from this first episode. I'm almost tempted to start reading the manga now because of that, just to find out.
Old 2009-10-05, 14:35   Link #256
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Her development should be one of the main factors as the story progresses. If not like you said, then the show will seem quite tiresome if she ends up being the same old Cecily without any change from this first episode. I'm almost tempted to start reading the manga now because of that, just to find out.
*laughs* Impatient, much?

Any show can hang on character development. This one clearly needs that to happen, or Cecily will quickly grind many would-be fans out.
Old 2009-10-05, 14:38   Link #257
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
*laughs* Impatient, much?
No, not at all. It's called discussing the future of the series.
Old 2009-10-05, 15:01   Link #258
Searcher
RRR/Kotori/Tessa Servant

I don't think there will be much character development since this anime has, sofar, only 12 episodes.
I think the writers will aim more for the action seq, much easier than character development. And later some (small) drama about luke's "dark" past.
2006-09-13, 02:28
The Searcher became a Legend!111 - (to)Arimfe

Quote from the Legendary!111 Searcher
"My heart is big enough for all the girls that lost"
Searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 15:29   Link #259
HandofFate

pretty magic sword forging circle.
that alone, with the music convinced to follow the series.

and Lisa.
Old 2009-10-05, 15:49   Link #260
LKK

Luke's character design reminds me of Renton from Eureka 7. But looking at the respective ANN encyclopedia entries, I didn't see any connection between the two character design production staffs. Still, in terms of looks, Luke and Renton could be cousins. But not in terms of personalities.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, fantasy, shounen