AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-07-22, 20:24   Link #341
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
That's a far enough cry from the situation presented in the show that it's not particularly relevant as an analogy... and if you made that earlier post with religious ideas in mind, that's a legitimate point and I understand where you're coming from now.
Why are people asserting their secular "there is no worth in dying" argument for a show that directly mentions God and the heavens to begin with?

The entire message behind the Kizuna arc is that Ai convicted herself to bring salvation to others in place of the missing God.

God may have been the one to remove Kizuna's immortality, but it was Ai who grieved for him, cared for him, told him about the woman he was looking for, and generally granted his wish for happiness overall. Also as a gravekeeper, she was the one who had to see him off. Her statement at the end is supposed to show the development she had compared to how uncertain she was when Kizuna asked her in the previous episode. That was supposed to be the highlight of Ai's character, not the fact that she could dodge bullets Matrix style
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 20:26   Link #342
Traece
:cool:

At this point it's good to toss in the reminder that HH had to be buried not because he was undead, but because he would have become increasingly more dangerous as his term as an undead person elapsed. That's why people are buried to begin with. If they live too long, they're likely to start killing people.

As for HH, again I don't fault him as much as I fault the author for creating such a weird situation. For his eternal life to magically be cured by finding out his has a daughter so he can do the exact opposite of what a person with a daughter is expected to do... Hmm... To me, his death only sad on the first glance.
Old 2013-07-22, 20:38   Link #343
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Why are people asserting their secular "there is no worth in dying" argument for a show that directly mentions God and the heavens to begin with?
Because even from a religious standpoint, is there worth to be found in dying in the world of Kamisama no Inai? After all, the premise of the story is that God says "Fuck y'all, I'm out" and abandons the world. If God declared himself 15 years ago to have abandoned humanity, then people might wonder if God lets the departed into Heaven anymore; much the same way as a friend who completely severs ties with you likely won't invite you to his house again any time soon.
Old 2013-07-22, 20:49   Link #344
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Because even from a religious standpoint, is there worth to be found in dying in the world of Kamisama no Inai? After all, the premise of the story is that God says "Fuck y'all, I'm out" and abandons the world. If God declared himself 15 years ago to have abandoned humanity, then people might wonder if God lets the departed into Heaven anymore; much the same way as a friend who completely severs ties with you likely won't invite you to his house again any time soon.
Kizuna claimed that was the oversimplified sensationalist explanation spread out to everyone. For all we know, that may just be what people believed to rationalize the changes like dead people not passing on. Also as Kizuna theorized, God may have been there all along, but he is just stupid in the way he grants wishes. After all, Kizuna still became immortal, then had his immortality removed years after God supposedly went missing.

Either way, it was also mentioned that's why the gravekeepers are there - to help the people where God could not, and it's also what Ai explicitly stated she would do at the end of the episode.
Old 2013-07-22, 21:54   Link #345
maplehurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
At this point it's good to toss in the reminder that HH had to be buried not because he was undead, but because he would have become increasingly more dangerous as his term as an undead person elapsed. That's why people are buried to begin with. If they live too long, they're likely to start killing people.
Well, there are hints in ep3 that he's already going mentally unstable before being turned into undead...

As for the undead killing people part if they live too long... I don't know if it's inevitable as in inevitable deterministic chemical process(material or spiritual) or something else that's not so deterministic....

Though mathematically speaking, ANYONE would have increasing chance of becoming killer the longer they live. (unless they in coma)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow5ya
Either way, it was also mentioned that's why the gravekeepers are there - to help the people where God could not, and it's also what Ai explicitly stated she would do at the end of the episode.
I have a feeling God is "trolling" rather than "unable"...

Last edited by maplehurry; 2013-07-22 at 22:06.
maplehurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 21:59   Link #346
Traece

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehurry View Post
Well, there are hints in ep3 that he's already going mentally unstable before being turned into undead...

As for the undead killing people part if they live too long... I don't know if it's inevitable as in inevitable deterministic chemical process or something else that's not so deterministic....
That's run-of-the-mill crazies though, not symptoms of being an undead person.

One would expect HH to experience a certain level of insanity considering he lives forever, and is in a constant search for his lover who disappeared.
Old 2013-07-22, 22:11   Link #347
maplehurry

Quote:
That's run-of-the-mill crazies though, not symptoms of being an undead person.

One would expect HH to experience a certain level of insanity considering he lives forever, and is in a constant search for his lover who disappeared.
My speculation is that the undeads have a similar mental struggle (instinct to live on with loved ones conflict with the social norm to get buried and fear of getting buried), the longer this mental struggle lasts, the more mentally unstable they become.
Old 2013-07-22, 22:39   Link #348
Traece

Quote:
My speculation is that the undeads have a similar mental struggle (instinct to live on with loved ones conflict with the social norm to get buried and fear of getting buried), the longer this mental struggle lasts, the more mentally unstable they become.
The implication made by the characters is that they suffer a breakdown of their mental capabilities. Hence the comment about their self-preservation instincts being heightened and taking control of them.

This is probably because of neurological damage from them being undead and stuff.
Old 2013-07-23, 01:37   Link #349
Tranhieu

Now how come Ai didn't fight back with that inhuman strength of hers in episode 1? I think I finally got why she didn't have even a single bruise after taking that much beating from her dad
Tranhieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-23, 01:44   Link #350
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

I couldn't help but picture bossun when that villain talked, it was not intimidating at all, its more of a joke situation for me.

anyway, I thought the whole thing was about ai finding her father, and they'll be traveling and have wacky adventures together, but no, they decided to bury him.

Quote:
Now how come Ai didn't fight back with that inhuman strength of hers in episode 1? I think I finally got why she didn't have even a single bruise after taking that much beating from her dad
HH was just that more powerful than ai and HH was not about to use his full power on a 12 year old girl.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-23, 03:49   Link #351
backbone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranhieu View Post
Nah, she actually did fight him back in eps 1 upon realizing entire villagers got killed by him. It's just her aim were too off that Hampnie could easily dodge her attack.
backbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-23, 08:56   Link #352
Shadow5YA

Quote:
The implication made by the characters is that they suffer a breakdown of their mental capabilities. Hence the comment about their self-preservation instincts being heightened and taking control of them.

This is probably because of neurological damage from them being undead and stuff.
Most likely this, since the farmer from the village had no focus in his eyes at all and took quite a bit of time to realize that half his head was gone.
Old 2013-07-23, 10:18   Link #353
maplehurry

^while Traece's theory is quite likely, that farmer was actually doing a decent enough job WITH half of his brain gone.

Did he cover up his head in the novel too or is it just anime censorship ?
Old 2013-07-23, 11:26   Link #354
eduard3

Quote:
You've quoted an old post of mine, but my feelings remain the same:

After all these replies, I'm just going to make the safe assumption that nobody actually bothers to read all of my posts, and you all just respond to whatever part you agree or disagree with at your leisure. I write quite lengthy posts, so I don't blame you all, but I don't write all those paragraphs for show. Sometimes they have important information. After all, I already knew all of this before I had not just you but others as well regurgitating that same information back at me. Hint: Something something author's choices something something already said all this before anyhow.
If you actually read my post, you'd see I also addressed your later ideas(3 posts below the one I quoted?) as well in an edit. But I guess you stopped before that or didn't even bother.

"Perhaps I'm confused, but was he really undead or had he merely just come back to life?" is the start of your "newer" post that I "ignored"
Now read the SECOND line of the post you snipped. Please don't be a hypocrite, we have enough in this world.
eduard3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-23, 15:16   Link #355
Dop
Mmmm....

Well that was unexpected, and kind of makes Hampnie the Ned Stark of the series!

As for Ai suddenly becoming a loli badass, well she IS only half-human and her gravekeeper ancestry possibly gives her some powers. Notice how all those 'wisps' appeared when she made her entrance?
Definitely something going on with the wisps, I think.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-23, 16:58   Link #356
Polarpew
Bash'a no falor talah

Send a message via AIM to Polarpew
oh what the hell, they killed him off.....
Old 2013-07-23, 17:08   Link #357
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Episode 3

Still a depressing episode...... I'm so impressed... Makes wanna want to look back to the value of life again....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-23, 18:19   Link #358
ellessarr
Banned

i was reluctant to post but today after watch eh episode(waited for subbs)...

ok i can accept who god realized his desire to die happy and who he not a MC and even who anime rushed the first arc, but c'mon this author is a such big troll, how dare he killed her father so too early even in LN or manga or another source, when finally he realized who she was his daughter he died, and have only one f*************************************** day with her, this was one of the most troll epic evil anticlimax moment who i see in a anime, i was really wished who after he and her find who their are true father and daughter their gonna have some more time together before something bad happen but this, give me a horrible taste in the mounth of how evil is this author, i was really looking to see this series but after this "end"(this for me was like the "last episode", a very bad and evil end), i can't really express how angry i'm now, even if in manga or LN their have more time togheter this dont help much since this time was before them find the truth, if was after ok but before omg...

i really dont know if i gonna keep following this or just wait till the last episode, i really get depressed
-999999 / 10
and not was because was rushed bu because how cruel the author was with this "killing him after he find who he have a daughter and not giving then really a good time to be "together".
ellessarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-23, 18:28   Link #359
shadow1296

y'know with how this episode played out this series is going to get sadder to the point where everyone who watches will be suffering from depression before we get that happy ending, if we get one
Old 2013-07-23, 18:42   Link #360
Shadow5YA

Quote:
^while Traece's theory is quite likely, that farmer was actually doing a decent enough job WITH half of his brain gone.
You're being optimistic. Even if he was still capable of reason, his dulled reactions still show that he is getting farther away from how a living human being reacts. That difference would likely grow larger as time passes.

I'm sure the entire village was aware of this. They just had to push beyond their limits despite that for Ai's sake.

Tags
fantasy