AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-07-06, 15:29   Link #1501
TurquoiseThyme

Loved seeing the Gekko!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgerz View Post
A lingering version of Dewey's virus perhaps?
Spoiler for Do we need spoiler tags for the first series?:
TurquoiseThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 16:34   Link #1502
Xagzan

Haha, well I'm certainly enjoying the series a great deal now Hope the second half keeps up the pace now that things seem to have been kicked in to high gear! Of course, now that we have all this mindfuckery, they better have a coherent, eventual explanation for these mysteries at the ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMon10A View Post
Consequences to the plot aside, that was a full on fanboy meltdown moment when the Gekko-go emerged from the Scub coral.
This. I think I even shouted

I'm wondering though, just how long Eureka and the Gekko were in that Scub. On the other hand, maybe their appearance was prompted by Naru's disappearance. But then, did Naru go to the original E7 world? And just what version of Eureka is this? Love being this confused, makes it feel like the original show.

Oh, and was anyone else amused by Truth trying to catch the smoke ring then getting startled when it vanished? I thought it was a nice quirk to give what has largely been a one-dimensional character to this point.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 16:43   Link #1503
ReddyRedWolf

Given the hostility Rebecka showed by the mere mention of J. Johansson something tells me he had a relationship with Generation Bleu and they had a disagreement.

Truth is doing what he does because of his father's teachings.

Something tells me J. Johansson went mad thinking the world is wrong thus it doesn't deserve to exist.

Truth becomes his instrument and pawn.

Doesn't that sound familiar?
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 17:16   Link #1504
Dextro
He Without a Title

Btw I get the feeling that "Truth" is just a "normal" person like Naru is that got a bit of Scub Coral inside him and as such he's able to experience the physics altering abilities typical of colarians on the original show. I thought that was a nice way to explain to us what he actually was while still making his completely overpowered entrance seem at least plausible.
Old 2012-07-06, 17:21   Link #1505
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Well, I totally agree about the inspirations for the original E7's scifi roots. But I think that in many ways Kyoda is trying to somewhat distance AO from E7 in terms of inspirations and roots, but not in a negative way. Instead AO is a proper sequel to E7 which isn't trying to be a predictable or safe sequel. Instead it wants the audience to wonder a little about it, and I think there's a deliberate attempt to make it "feel" off when compared directly to E7 in several ways.
It's funny how you credit this to Kyoda, when in fact the types of changes we're seeing are 100% in Aikawa Shou's sweet spot as a writer, and he's the one major staff change between the two shows. I agree with you that this is taking a bold and admirable path in trying to be a sequel that's thoroughly different from its predecessor, but I don't think you're crediting the right man for being the agent of change.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 17:35   Link #1506
lann

It seems to me that this series will tie together both the canon TV series and the movie. Ao seems to be movie Eurekas kid. Just a theory.
Old 2012-07-06, 17:41   Link #1507
miketyson

duckroll: all very good points as well. Until I see a character pull out and use a last-ditch plasma blaster they'd kept hidden inside a false tooth I won't know if it's actually a homage here or just a bunch of coincidences (and the fact that bungie are huge banks fans along with the huge success of halo means that it's hard to determine how much is direct influence and how much is indirect influence via halo, anyways).

One thing I've suspect a bit is that the secrets are more about communication than attacking (though clearly they do both), though it's only in episode this is done so clearly as to be worth bringing up. In 12 we do have a secret that is easy to interpret as clumsy but communicative in attempt: on the one hand we had a coral chunk that wound up having a surprise hidden inside it, and on the other hand our secret was a scary rattlesnake jack in the box (thus, likewise, a surprise hidden inside an otherwise innocuous container).

Going from memory the rest all seem like they'd require incredibly tenuous interpretations to mean something (at least now, maybe they'll be clearer in hindsight), but if future secrets are also easy to interpret (like the upcoming "giant" might be), it wouldn't surprise me if the secrets are less "glitches in the matrix" or whatever and more "really, really clumsy attempts at communicating something...but also used as weapons for reasons as-yet unknown".
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 18:35   Link #1508
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Have to say it was pretty epic when the Gekko just popped out of the Scub Coral like that. A kind of "holy crap" moment. The last couple episodes have seemed to lock in more on the alternate universe view of the series. Though the source of this universe or the reason it's connected to the original E7 universe is still uncertain to me.

Regardless nice to see Eureka again for longer than a simple flashback. Though the fact she doesn't recognize Ao does make you wonder about timelines. Still pretty damn fun. But not seeing anyone else from the group makes you wonder who else if anyone is in that ship.

While the mysteries continue did get some answers. Confirmed that Eureka disappeared into that light and Nirvash was left behind. What Ao can see that the rest of them can't. And why Naru (and probably Truth) can use those abilities.

Am starting to wonder about Naru's mental state though. Seems a bit off after gone with Truth.
Old 2012-07-06, 19:02   Link #1509
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

I don't think we should jump to conclusions on Eureka quite yet, though it is likely this isn't the same one timeline-wise. She's had all of a few seconds to look at Ao, and from far enough away that she isn't going to get the best look at him. Not to mention he's gone from toddler to young teen in her absence, and he had brown hair when she knew him.
Old 2012-07-06, 19:07   Link #1510
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
I don't think we should jump to conclusions on Eureka quite yet, though it is likely this isn't the same one timeline-wise. She's had all of a few seconds to look at Ao, and from far enough away that she isn't going to get the best look at him. Not to mention he's gone from toddler to young teen in her absence, and he had brown hair when she knew him.
True, but she looks more convincingly late 20s than early 40s - and she does indeed look pregnant.
Old 2012-07-06, 19:25   Link #1511
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
True, but she looks more convincingly late 20s than early 40s - and she does indeed look pregnant.
Pregnant, I'll give you. She doesn't age, though. She was found looking more or less the same as she does in the present. Remember, Renton was like five or so when his dad vanished, and Eureka looked the same then as she does when he meets her again later.
Old 2012-07-06, 21:56   Link #1512
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Eureka !!!
Gekko State...

And why do i sense that Elene is Anemone after episode 11??
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 22:44   Link #1513
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I hadn't noticed, but 15 year-old Hatakayama Kosuke, who was great as Nitorin in Hourou Musuko, is playing the Harelquin pilot/teaboy Rajmakur. Nice to see him getting some more work.
Old 2012-07-06, 22:49   Link #1514
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
It's funny how you credit this to Kyoda, when in fact the types of changes we're seeing are 100% in Aikawa Shou's sweet spot as a writer, and he's the one major staff change between the two shows. I agree with you that this is taking a bold and admirable path in trying to be a sequel that's thoroughly different from its predecessor, but I don't think you're crediting the right man for being the agent of change.
I don't credit the actual execution of the changes to Kyoda, don't misunderstand, I credit the decision to go this way to him. Kyoda is the director and the main reason why the series even exists, so it is certainly his intention to go for something different, and hence he picked different writing staff for this purpose. If he wanted the same thing, he would probably have gone with Dai Sato again. I totally agree that the style of the story and the way things develop are 100% Aikawa's style. But that's the direction that Kyoda wanted for this series, so when comparing the two shows, it makes sense to look at it from the perspective of the person who is in charge of both series and made the major calls.

Edit: Speaking of Aikawa, I think it's going to be really interesting in the next month or so. From ep11 onwards, Aikawa is going to be writing every single episode through to ep16 at least. Almost all are solo scripts, with the exception of ep15 which is written by both him and Shinichi Inotsume.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 00:12   Link #1515
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseThyme View Post
Loved seeing the Gekko!

Spoiler for Do we need spoiler tags for the first series?:
You know, after watching the eleventh episode that theory doesn't sound far-fetch'd.

In Elena's hallucination, there were short glimpses of the ....
Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 00:23   Link #1516
Destined_Fate

Well things are getting interesting. Though I have to question why the other team is even in the opening when they haven't really done anything since their debut other than get demolished than tripping off a Secret.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 00:37   Link #1517
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Well things are getting interesting. Though I have to question why the other team is even in the opening when they haven't really done anything since their debut other than get demolished than tripping off a Secret.
You're acting like this is the first opening ever that has characters in it that don't do much.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 00:39   Link #1518
Destined_Fate

It isn't just one characters, it's a team and all can pilot. Yet they haven't been used at all despite them being seemingly important. With a younger Eureka appearing in her Nirvash it puts to question if they will ever see any use now.
Old 2012-07-07, 01:12   Link #1519
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Great episode. This gets really interesting.

This "Eureka" might be from another universe specifically the movie one. I somewhat doubt time travel is involved. It is a lot easier to accept alternate dimensions than time travel.
orpheus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 01:13   Link #1520
Destined_Fate

Tying together both the Movie and the TV Series to the Sequel? Have these guys been playing too much Super Robot Wars Z, Z2?

Tags
harem, mecha, romance, science fiction, shounen