AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-02-09, 19:12   Link #461
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

I wonder who Black Gold Saw is in real life. So its was that easy to change Kagari's mind. Obviously she chose to stay shut in because of the trauma and just blamed on Yomi so she wouldn't be alone. That scar was a little too much.
Old 2012-02-09, 19:21   Link #462
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I think there's no need to reiterate that the story and the character designs took a dip in the anime series. However, it can't be helped. The character designs for the OVA cannot be used because the designer left Ordet for iDOLM@STER, and Yusuke Yoshigaki, who worked on the anime series' character design, has worked only as a character designer on two shows, the other one Mahoutsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto: Natsu no Sora.

For those curious, the storyboard for the first two episodes are made by Hajime Horinouchi (ep 2), Hiroyuki Imaishi (OP; eps 1-2), and Shinobu Yoshioka (ep 1), while the episode directors are Hiroyuki Imaishi (eps 1-2), Shinobu Yoshioka (ep 1), and Yoshikazu Ui (ep 2).
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 19:40   Link #463
E_I
Yuri fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I think there's no need to reiterate that the story and the character designs took a dip in the anime series. However, it can't be helped. The character designs for the OVA cannot be used because the designer left Ordet for iDOLM@STER, and Yusuke Yoshigaki, who worked on the anime series' character design, has worked only as a character designer on two shows, the other one Mahoutsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto: Natsu no Sora.

For those curious, the storyboard for the first two episodes are made by Hajime Horinouchi (ep 2), Hiroyuki Imaishi (OP; eps 1-2), and Shinobu Yoshioka (ep 1), while the episode directors are Hiroyuki Imaishi (eps 1-2), Shinobu Yoshioka (ep 1), and Yoshikazu Ui (ep 2).
What do mean they can't use the character designs? Does the guy own them? They can't draw them to match the original designs?
E_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 19:56   Link #464
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_I View Post
What do mean they can't use the character designs? Does the guy own them? They can't draw them to match the original designs?
He would be able to sue them if they tried to copy his designs since he isn't working with company in charge of the project anymore.
Old 2012-02-09, 20:23   Link #465
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Really? If that's the case, then the company should change the way they draft their labour contracts. In most other industries, whatever an employee creates remains the property of the company and the respective contracts usually stipulate that the employee is not allowed to use confidential information he gained over the course of the employment in future work. The main problem I can see is that Bread Rock Shooter was created independently by Huke and as such is his intellectual property.
frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 20:59   Link #466
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolity View Post
Really? If that's the case, then the company should change the way they draft their labour contracts. In most other industries, whatever an employee creates remains the property of the company and the respective contracts usually stipulate that the employee is not allowed to use confidential information he gained over the course of the employment in future work. The main problem I can see is that Bread Rock Shooter was created independently by Huke and as such is his intellectual property.
Thay maybe true however the artist in question was only contracted and paid to do the ova project by the time BRS was able to get a television release he was already working on Idolm@star. It's not like he quit in the middle of the project with no heads up. He he did his job and left according to the grounds of his contract. I'm sure he would have came back for the television series if wasn't tied up in Idolm@star.
Old 2012-02-09, 21:41   Link #467
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Well - I watched the OVA last night and then re-watched ep 1 of the tv series, and just finished watching ep 2, and you know, I kinda like the general premise of the series. Yes - there are differences in art and all, but.... Well, maybe I should put it all in spoiler tags just in case.

Spoiler for OVA and tv series relations musings:

I will give a 7/10 vote for ep 2. Not bad. But to be honest I am kinda glad it is only 8 eps. I don't know if I could "take" the premise and even story for even a full 12/13 eps.
Old 2012-02-09, 21:53   Link #468
Patchy
練紅玉
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Cloud View Post
That looks amazing, may I claim that one?
Sure just grab it if you wanted to.., ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnighT-WolF View Post
Those are GORGEOUS! Are those images originally "wallpaper-sized"? If so can you post them??
>_< sadly they weren't, just edited them and putted some bg...

Here are the sources of them...

Shiro
-----------------------------
-----------------------------
Currently Doing:
Currently Hidden in depths of Chireiden

Patchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 22:02   Link #469
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

This show does have minor problems but I don't care, after this episode I can easily say I fucking love it. Couldn't look away for a second and my interest was completely swept up in all of what was happening.

I didn't expect the issue with Kagari to resolve itself so soon though. I thought she'd be the antagonist for the whole run of the series. When she cut that heart-shaped scar into Yomi with the needle, she was starting to become one of those cold-hearted ruthless villains where seeing them finally get their comeuppance would be so satisfying. It's a shame her psychosis was cured so soon and easily. Quite disappointing. I kind of wish Mato or Yomi would've decked her at least once and then maybe I'd be a little more content with that.

Action in the Otherworld scenes were brilliant here. BRS didn't take that shit no more and brought out a big-ass gatling gun against Chariot's mount. Not to mention the way she finished off Chariot by decapitating her. That was so goddamn cool. We need more female characters this awesome in anime.

And Black Gold Saw appears for the first time interrupting what was happening. I wonder if she even has a real-world counterpart? I wonder what that scene was supposed to mean...

I'm looking forward to seeing where this will go next and how it'll all come together.~
Old 2012-02-09, 22:44   Link #470
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post

I understand changing Yomi, but why Dead Master too? Her OVA design was pretty much identical to Huke's.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 22:49   Link #471
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
I understand changing Yomi, but why Dead Master too? Her OVA design was pretty much identical to Huke's.
Dead Master appears more moe in this version which is more in line to her being abused in real life by Kaguri.

I love this version. It's not shying away from displaying psychological trauma.
Old 2012-02-10, 00:09   Link #472
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Black Rock Shooter Episode 2

The writing in this series keeps going from bad to worse. Every little bit of subtle character interaction and development I enjoyed from the OVA seems to be flushed away here.
How can be something that didn't exist in the first place be flushed away? Not saying this adaptation is better (it's on par with the original - i.e. horrible), but the OAV had zero meaningful character interaction.
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-10, 01:27   Link #473
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
I don't know about bad scriptwriting... what I do know is that it is unconventional... now should this lead to merging the two worlds presented and utilizing the wasted original character designs and counteract the little time the show has, or just end up in failure, will see soon enough.

At least it's not boring like other shows

Otherwise I liked the second episode more... not that improved in any department, but the storytelling picked up pace to accommodate the 6 episodes remaining to complete. Still the visuals are really unispired and very trivial, no cathedral-like bathrooms, or living rooms with the secondary function as an exhibition of modern art

And what happened to men (functionally, not physiologically) in this universe, could help counteracting all these emotional explosions from the yuri female-friendship cast
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-10, 01:39   Link #474
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep2:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-10, 03:04   Link #475
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
O
Machine shooting candy (or whatever in English) --> (゚Д゚)
(゚Д゚)(゚Д゚)(゚Д゚)(゚Д゚)(゚Д゚)(゚Д゚)(゚Д゚)(゚Д゚)
Shouldn't it be "Candy-shooting Machine"?
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-10, 04:24   Link #476
Elestia

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Dead Master appears more moe in this version which is more in line to her being abused in real life by Kaguri.

I love this version. It's not shying away from displaying psychological trauma.
Honestly, being moe-iefied is not a requirement to create a damsel-in-distress scenario.

This episode's action scenes in the otherworld is probably the only thing worth praising.
Old 2012-02-10, 06:10   Link #477
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Spoiler for ep2:
Noitamina's got some great comedy anime this season, hasn't it? The scene at the hospital was the funniest thing I've seen all week. The drama was so overblown it was hilarious. Ka ga ri

So, as it turns out, Yomi was not responsible for Kagari's accident at all. Even better, Kagari was in fact completely healthy! And everybody else knew it! For some reason, her parents as well as Yomi's figured it was better to go along with her every whim (she must have been what? 6 years old at best at the time) and the Takanashis moved back into their old house for her sake. They even closed a blind eye to her mistreatment of Yomi. Superb parenting skills, I must say.

The action scenes continue to be the saving grace of this show. They've drawn another connection between them and the real world by having Mato see them in her dreams. I wonder where they're going with this. When BRS cut Karagi's head off and the hospital room went completely silent as a result, I thought Kagari had died, which would have been an interesting development. You die in BRS world, you die for real. Turning into a vegetable could have been an ironic twist of fate too. But nope, all it did was to completely cure her insanity (what a radiant smile she had her face afterwards!). Can't wait to see her behave like a completely different person next week!

Doctor Black Rock Shooter's next patient should be Yuu/Strength. She appears to be relatively normal but the fact she's always in the counselor's room is suspicious. She's probably going to grow more and more jealous of Yomi like in the OVA until she reaches her breaking point.
Old 2012-02-10, 07:12   Link #478
wm4

@Marcus H., @E_I, @Dark Wing etc
Wasn't the new character design for sales of new figures ?
It is a common practice. We saw Sayla Mars in bikinis in a war drama, then someone made
a PVC figure out of it, then bummmmm, there is one more must-have in one's Gundam collections.
wm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-10, 08:03   Link #479
Shinn_Kabuto
Ore wa Kyasshan!

Can't wait for next episode. As I saw the preview, it seems that are we actually gonna get an Otherworld backstory?

Is it just me or we will see Otherworlders talk on the next episode?
Shinn_Kabuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-10, 08:31   Link #480
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Spoiler for episode 3 preview:

Tags
action, slice of life