AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2008-04-26, 10:25   Link #181
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei View Post
Did you know it's almost mandatory in every contract for an R1 anime company that they HAVE to translate the Japanese credits?
I dunno if you noticed, but we're not the R1 industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatakae View Post
Like I wrote earlier, not everyone is so well-versed in Internet culture or wants to make the extra effort to look up to an online data base (I feel redundancy). Please think of people who are not like youself and your peer groups.
If there is seriously anyone who is watching fansubs that is incapable of using Google to find production informaton for movies or TV series, I'm pretty sure that person is beyond all human help already.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 10:31   Link #182
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
I dunno if you noticed, but we're not the R1 industry.
I was just saying that it is the clear wish of the Japanese that the credits get subtitled. (It's also the clear wish of the Japanese that we don't fansub their shows, but you get my drift ).

Quote:
If there is seriously anyone who is watching fansubs that is incapable of using Google to find production informaton for movies or TV series, I'm pretty sure that person is beyond all human help already.
I can tell you've never sat down and actually translated credits for a fansub before. There are plenty of which that cannot even be found on Google or ANN in either english or Japanese (and god help you if you can't read Japanese).

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 10:48   Link #183
Bot1
The Supreme Pontiff

though i usually watch the op of a show i tend to overlook the text in it and i'd never go back to watch either the op or the ed if i wanted to know who worked on the ep/show. i also very rarely look at fansub staff credits. i'll never go "shit that was well done who was the awesome encoder/typesetter/editor/ect that did this?" i will however go "holy fuck that was a steaming pile of crap who was the retard that did this?" and then go find the staff credits.

AKA Malakith
Bot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 11:20   Link #184
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
I can tell you've never sat down and actually translated credits for a fansub before. There are plenty of which that cannot even be found on Google or ANN in either english or Japanese (and god help you if you can't read Japanese).
publish
them
on
your
website

REVOLUTIONARY IDEAS ITT
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 12:53   Link #185
Tofusensei

Quote:
publish
them
on
your
website

REVOLUTIONARY IDEAS ITT
Okay, let's end this discussion, please.

If you want clean openings, get the raws or buy the DVDs. Otherwise, piss off ^^;

-Tofu
Old 2008-04-26, 13:02   Link #186
Jaka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatakae View Post
I have no idea, maybe you tell me why you're so vehemmently opposed to see translated credits. Some traumatic experiences, perhaps?
It blocks the animation, and it's unnecessary. Something along the line "to bomb for peace" lolwut

Quote:
Okay, let's end this discussion, please.

If you want clean openings, get the raws or buy the DVDs. Otherwise, piss off ^^;

-Tofu
The opening/ending sequence is not for you to put a shit load of text on it.
Maybe they animate the fucking thing for a reason?
Jaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 14:27   Link #187
Tofusensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaka View Post
It blocks the animation, and it's unnecessary. Something along the line "to bomb for peace" lolwut

The opening/ending sequence is not for you to put a shit load of text on it.
Maybe they animate the fucking thing for a reason?
Wow.

Spoiler:
Old 2008-04-26, 15:34   Link #188
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
The moral of the story is, you will not convince myself or Teppei or others to not subtitle credits. We feel it adds more to the overall fansub experience and shows a level of dedication that others might not be willing to do. If this bothers you, do not watch our fansubs.
OK, this thread has been off-topic for a while now. The above reply from Tofu should really end it. Any futher off-topic replies on this will be deleted.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-03, 16:11   Link #189
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
OK.....maybe I'm just butting in, maybe I'm just beeing oggtopic, (in witch case, feel free to delete this, Moderator-san) but..........have some people in the past 2 pages been bitching about translated credit, or is it just me? People who are getting something FOR FREE, bitching about how that said FREE stuff is not to their standard? Have people been telling the kind gentlemen/women who bring stuff FOR FREE how they should do it in the future? Because if so........then that part of the fanbase is behaving like spoiled brats.
I usualy don't try to be nice to people I don't actually know, but complaining about stuff I get for free.....that's a new low....a very low low.

I personaly enjoy the translated credit, especialy the voices and directors. Please continue to do what makes you happy, LE, and thank you for the great HD release
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-04, 12:03   Link #190
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

Why couldn't we argue about free things? We live in a free world, obviously we can bitch/argue about anything we want. Just because you get it for free doesn't mean that you couldn't say "it sucks". If the taste of tapwater sucked and you said "it sucks" and then someone else said "YOU CAN'T SAY IT SUCKS YOU GET IT FOR FREE" (okay, tapwater isn't technically free, but neither are fansubs, you are using eletricity and paying for internet to get fansubs), how would you react? Would you agree with him/her?

And fansubbers aren't any sort of "god-like" beings or anything. Sure, they might have more skills than your average leecher (since they are the ones providing the fansubs afterall), but they're humans too. Everyone makes mistakes, everyone have preferences, people can learn from their mistakes by listening to feedback, and people can listen to other people's opinions and decide how to react to them.

This is yet again one of the topics that have been discussed to hell and back, and no matter what the outcome of the discussion is, there will be always be opinions and people expressing their opinions, and you won't be able to change that.
Daiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-04, 12:47   Link #191
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daiz View Post
Just because you get it for free doesn't mean that you couldn't say "it sucks".
There's a big difference between saying "this translation sucks" and saying "you suck because you put credits in." The former may turn out to be a valid critique, the latter is just bigotry.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-04, 12:52   Link #192
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daiz View Post
Why couldn't we argue about free things? We live in a free world, obviously we can bitch/argue about anything we want. Just because you get it for free doesn't mean that you couldn't say "it sucks". If the taste of tapwater sucked and you said "it sucks" and then someone else said "YOU CAN'T SAY IT SUCKS YOU GET IT FOR FREE" (okay, tapwater isn't technically free, but neither are fansubs, you are using eletricity and paying for internet to get fansubs), how would you react? Would you agree with him/her?

There is the option of not watching the releases you think suck, y'know. That's called free will. If you don't agree with it, fine, but most of the time, the fansubbers actually don't care whether the leechers like it or not because it's *their* preference. Also, if you really wanted to open a discussion on this subject, a new topic should have been made - instead of taking this one off-topic.

Quote:
And fansubbers aren't any sort of "god-like" beings or anything.

Oh I dunno, I'm amazed at what some encoders can do

Quote:
i also very rarely look at fansub staff credits. i'll never go "shit that was well done who was the awesome encoder/typesetter/editor/ect that did this?"

Actually, that's something I do. I find fansubber-watching by way of credits is a good way of finding quality releases -- doesn't always work, admittedly, but with lots of subbers being in more than one group now, I'm interested who pops up where and what project, etc. I can see why you wouldn't though.
False Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-04, 13:08   Link #193
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
"you suck because you put credits in."
I agree that saying it like that is just stupid, but you're still free to express your opinion if you think they're blocking the animation etc. Whether the fansubber cares or not doesn't matter in this case, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Dawn View Post
There is the option of not watching the releases you think suck, y'know. That's called free will. If you don't agree with it, fine, but most of the time, the fansubbers actually don't care whether the leechers like it or not because it's *their* preference.
True, true, but even then you're still free to express your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Dawn View Post
Oh I dunno, I'm amazed at what some encoders can do
Being an encoder myself I can appreciate the skills other encoders have, but we're still humans after all.

Anyway, the point was that everyone is free to express their opinion, whether it's regarding a free fansub or a commercial product or whatnot. Whether the opinion is actual criticism or just baseless whining doesn't change the fact that the one holding the opinion is free to express it.
Old 2008-05-04, 17:41   Link #194
ScR3WiEuS
My E-Penis > Your E-Penis
*Fansubber

sigh, i shouldn't even get involved, but w/e.
the answer is very simple: mind your own fucking business.
it's one thing to call a fansub shitty because of inferior tl, edit, etc.
but arguing about stuff like production and fansub credits is just... well...
a waste of time. it's usually done pretty tastefully. OP animation is interesting for what? 1 time? ... barely
so w/e really.

as for encoders, well... for the people with perhaps one of the least important jobs in fansubbing, they've got the biggest ego. and funny enough, the bigger the ego and mouth, the bigger the disappointment when you compare their work with some of the unknown encoders i've worked with.

daiz. it's one thing to express your opinion. yes. we do have that liberty (when the admins aren't marching in their brown shirts ^_^ ). but expressing your opinion can be done in a civil way and for a valid reason. as always, Lythka has it completely right (though he's once again ignored). stating your opinion as to contribute to a discussion is fine. but some people just end up sounding like children.

saa, i think i understand thefluff though. some other ex-DVD rippers i know think similarly. i think that perhaps they're still trying to do a more businesslike DVD-rip like release. for those who started fansubbing a few years ago will understand why stuff like translating credits is kinda fun. i guess it's one of those little things that set your releases apart from warez groups, and gives a "warmer" feeling to your release.
Old 2008-05-05, 04:51   Link #195
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScR3WiEuS View Post
daiz. it's one thing to express your opinion. yes. we do have that liberty (when the admins aren't marching in their brown shirts ^_^ ). but expressing your opinion can be done in a civil way and for a valid reason. as always, Lythka has it completely right (though he's once again ignored). stating your opinion as to contribute to a discussion is fine. but some people just end up sounding like children.
As I quote myself: "Whether the opinion is actual criticism or just baseless whining doesn't change the fact that the one holding the opinion is free to express it."

Personally I don't really care about whatever whoever thinks (or who makes an idiot ouf himself/herself by acting stupid) but I just wanted to make clear to DmonHiro that people are free to express their opinions, no matter how dumb/useless/badly expressed they are.
Old 2008-05-06, 17:55   Link #196
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
I never said that people don't have the right to express their opinion. By all means, you may say anything you want about anything you want. However, that also means that I am entitled to express my opinion about your opinion (not you in particular). I never said that nobody can say "It sucks", I just said that I finf it very distasteful to complain about something you are getting for free. Nobodu is forcing ayone to wach anyones fansubs. If someone does not like the translation/the encoding/the credits/the karaoke, they are free to not watch that release. They are also free to tell the subbers/encoders that they think they made a bad release. But from that to DEMANDING that they do the release in a certain way is a very long way.
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-06, 19:27   Link #197
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Wrong. Making negative opinions about free things like fansubbing is banned by World Law. This should be known.
Only positive comments in this thread please. If you don't like credits you aren't allowed to say anything about that because in turn it might hurt someone else's feelings because they in turn think that since it's being done for free you aren't allowed to say naughty things.

P.S. DmonHiro, you just ranted that people with opinions you don't like can gtfo. You stressed the word FREE, as in FREE things are exempt from anything but positive feelings. You are right nobody is forcing me to watch anyones fansubs. No one is also forcing you to read my posts. So deal with the fact that people don't have the same opinion as you. Also if you think anyone is seriously DEMANDING things on the internet, lulz to you. What happens when someone doesn't listen to the demands...nothing lol!

I put forth the idea that intergnat demands are meaningless. Stop pretending they are real.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-07, 10:23   Link #198
pichu
*Fansubber

Hence, I've considered myself a failing fansubber, as I've thought all of my work failed. However, I find it even more distracting when other fansubbers are trying to show off their work, when their work is even more subpar compared to my failure work. (and there's a recent incident that someone attempted to show off his work in a recent release to me, but it turned out to be worse than what I've done over the past year--which, of course, I've considered my work to be failure) ;_;

But yes, the point of fansubbing is to understand the releases. But the point of me fansubbing is to challenge myself in different ways; I've enjoyed challenges quite a bit, and of course, for `moe` too. I'll quit fansubbing when there is nothing left to challenge in the areas I've enjoyed doing more.

So, I only looked up at people who can do better jobs than me in fansub releases rather than looking down at fansubbers and releases (i.e., some people here) in order for me to do a better job next time. ^^;

Last edited by pichu; 2008-05-07 at 10:35.
pichu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-11, 19:24   Link #199
Snoopyagent007

i'd like some input on what you guys think we (we being www.ji-hi.net) should do for groups that jump into subbing a project in the middle of the show and haven't done the first episode. should we accommodate them by recapping an entire show for all the groups on the episode that said new group started on or just forget them?
Snoopyagent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-11, 20:04   Link #200
martino
makes no files now

Does it really happen that often to be worth recapping all the groups again? Not that I'm fully aware, but as far as I know it usually happens on shows that have been stalled by groups and then others trying to finish it off. As an exception I can see D Gray Man as an example, where it looks like a couple of speedsubbing groups have been battling it out between each other. :/

Or did you have a specific example in mind?