AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Psycho-Pass

Notices

Old 2012-09-14, 03:43   Link #421
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

confirmed as this year guilty crown

let the ragefest begin!
Old 2012-09-14, 03:49   Link #422
Vito
Asshole.

This is why only duckroll should be allowed to post in this thread, the rest of the comments are worthless and just make it hard to find the good stuff.
Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 04:01   Link #423
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
http://mantan-web.jp/2012/09/14/2012...00066000c.html

This also states "planned for 2-cours".

OMG!!!!
22 episodes!!! like i expected!!! AWW YEAHH!!!

now the only thing looking forward too is how good looking the animation will be
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 06:45   Link #424
Jetzero Infinity

Sweet it's two cour. Not that I was worried about the story being rushed with Gen doing it, but at least this way we can probably get some good character driven stuff in(which Madoka while great, was kind of lacking in).
Jetzero Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 07:39   Link #425
Kirarakim

So both the Noitamina series are two cour this upcoming season. Is that a first?
Old 2012-09-14, 08:25   Link #426
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
So both the Noitamina series are two cour this upcoming season. Is that a first?
Yup. This is the first 2-cour hour long noitaminA block with the same shows running throughout. Both shows are also produced by Production IG, and both also involve Nitroplus. Both shows are also directed by guys who previously worked on the Sengoku Basara series. Coincidence? Or fate?
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 11:06   Link #427
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It's nothing against the two shows picked, but I'm generally not thrilled with two 2-cour shows in NoitaiminA. Not only is there an outside chance both could be sub-standard, but in any given season I count on NoitaminA to produce at least one of the most interesting new series.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 11:47   Link #428
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

It's riskier, but 2 cours can also mean that we'll have two great show for two seasons.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 12:40   Link #429
Phyris

Quote:
Originally Posted by articuzwolf View Post

let the ragefest begin!
I think Guilty Crown is still this year's Guilty Crown, seeing as it ended in March this year.

But seriously, I have a feeling Production I.G. are over their Blood-C/Guilty Crown phase. One of the main problems with the latter two shows was that they were too derivative, i.e. either based on an already mediocre franchise (never got the appeal of Blood+ apart from the glorious soundtrack) or just a carbon copy of Code Geass on meth, acid and my grandmother's old foot cream. Nevermind the awful writing...

And two cours means we can really delve into the meat of the story. It also gives the writers enough time to space out Urobutch's twisted sense of humour. In other words, Akane won't have to die until episode 13 rather than 3.
Phyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 13:04   Link #430
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
It's nothing against the two shows picked, but I'm generally not thrilled with two 2-cour shows in NoitaiminA. Not only is there an outside chance both could be sub-standard, but in any given season I count on NoitaminA to produce at least one of the most interesting new series.
Well let's hope we get 2 good shows then 2 cour won't be a problem

Although for me it's more of a problem because I have to think carefully about how much I can follow with my schedule. If many shows are carrying over into the Winter that will limit when I can add on with winter shows.

I am almost hoping of the many shows I am interested in some will be easy to drop. Although not Psycho Pass...that one I really want to be great.
Old 2012-09-14, 14:14   Link #431
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Here's a clean scan of the Psycho-Pass spread in Otomedia, from 2ch:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

The illustration here is by Hiroya Iijima, colored by Noriko Arisawa.

The choice of illustrators so far for the spreads are interesting, especially if they're an indication of the animators potentially working on the show itself. Michinori Chiba and Hiroya Iijima are both animators who worked under director Fuminori Kizaki on his various projects - Afro Samurai, Basilisk, and more recently X-Men. I would be pretty excited if Kizaki himself is somehow involved with this show, because he does action with adult characters pretty well.

I'm still wondering who did the Animage spread though. That one looks the worst by far. Lol.
Old 2012-09-14, 14:14   Link #432
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

But see... Even if both are good shows, part of the charm of a new season is looking at the new NoitaminA show(s), and I'll miss that.

I hate to even dignify the whole "next Guilty Crown" debate by responding to it, but really? You're equating a show written by Urobuchi Gen to one written by Hiroyuki Yoshino?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 14:25   Link #433
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
But see... Even if both are good shows, part of the charm of a new season is looking at the new NoitaminA show(s), and I'll miss that.

I hate to even dignify the whole "next Guilty Crown" debate by responding to it, but really? You're equating a show written by Urobuchi Gen to one written by Hiroyuki Yoshino?
I agree completely here. I'm sure FujiTV has other commercial plans in mind which resulted in this result, but as a viewer I think it would have been more interesting if they decided to stagger one of the shows instead. If Robotics;Notes is to run for 2 straight seasons, then I wouldn't mind if Psycho-Pass goes for 11 episodes and ends at a cliffhanger, allowing another new noitaminA show in Winter. After Robotics;Notes ends, a new show could take over in Spring, with Psycho-Pass returning for another 11 episodes after the Winter show concludes.

Such an arrangement would keep the programming fresh while allowing both shows not to be short changed in terms of content.
Old 2012-09-14, 14:35   Link #434
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

We have already seen over the decades a massive decrease in shows 2 cours or longer to one cour, with Noitanima we've seen shows even as much as only 8 episodes. Personally so long as the shows are actually good, I prefer 2 cour every time.
Old 2012-09-14, 14:41   Link #435
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Well let's hope we get 2 good shows then 2 cour won't be a problem

Although for me it's more of a problem because I have to think carefully about how much I can follow with my schedule. If many shows are carrying over into the Winter that will limit when I can add on with winter shows.

I am almost hoping of the many shows I am interested in some will be easy to drop. Although not Psycho Pass...that one I really want to be great.
My problem with noitaminA is that I'm always busy on Thursdays and Fridays and end up falling behind on at least one of the shows. I didn't get around to finishing Tsuritama until a couple weeks ago, and now I have to catch up on Natsuyuki Rendezvous and Moyashimon. With 11 episode series, that's not too hard, but 22 eps ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by articuzwolf View Post

let the ragefest begin!
I dropped GC when the MC returned to school and the girl from the battle turned up as a Mysterious Transfer Student. Just how bad did it get after that?
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 14:45   Link #436
Kirarakim

Thursdays always tend to be my busiest time too. If I like both Noitamina series I will be following 3 shows: This, Robotics Notes, and Shirokuma Cafe

And I am not even sure if any other shows I am interested in will be airing on Thursday.

A lot of times though I just end up carrying the Thursday shows over on Friday. Watching anime on Friday night is perfect for me because I don't feel like doing anything else.
Old 2012-09-14, 15:47   Link #437
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Can we not add to the flamefest that is always associated with even mentioning Guilty Crown and just be happy that Psycho-Pass is going to be a decent length of episodes? Sheesh...
Old 2012-09-14, 16:52   Link #438
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Response to the comments a few pages back ... I know I will sound crazy, but I am thankful that the anime designs ended up looking less than Amano's concept designs Boy, they were closer to looking like the Reborn cast than it was comfortable for me ...

Quote:
I don't really want to add much to this, but I do agree that it is pretty ridiculous to compare Guilty Crown to Psycho-Pass, but for reasons that extend beyond the chief writer of both shows.

Now, not to knock down on GC anymore than others had done, but I think that it was pretty clear that from the start it was along the lines of the sort of show that was more aimed at a different sort of audience than the typical noitaminA series, and it was geared more towards being a commercial success first and foremost as part of it's mission. Psycho-Pass (and to a large extent, Robotic;Notes as well) are both clearly created to be commercially successful and appeal to as many people as possible, but unlike GC there isn't the sense that they are the shows that the time slot was trying to differentiate itself from

I think it would be more accurate to compare P-P and R;Notes to AnoHana and Eden of the East, since even though there was still the usual otaku appeal in both these shows, they still attempted to be as wide reaching as possible to both audiences, old and new of the time slot. GC on the other hand felt a whole lot like it was the antithesis of noitaminA, like it had never belonged there.

Mind You, I do think that overall GC wasn't nearly as bad as it's usually made out to be nowadays. I mean I think it's not a good show by any stretch, but it certainly had some good point to it (The character designs (both concepts and anime), the artwork and animation, the music etc. even the writing had some interesting ideas here and there I thought, though they had done a bad job at capitalizing on them in the show proper.) In any case I don't believe that is going to be much of an issue with either shows here
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
I agree completely here. I'm sure FujiTV has other commercial plans in mind which resulted in this result, but as a viewer I think it would have been more interesting if they decided to stagger one of the shows instead. If Robotics;Notes is to run for 2 straight seasons, then I wouldn't mind if Psycho-Pass goes for 11 episodes and ends at a cliffhanger, allowing another new noitaminA show in Winter. After Robotics;Notes ends, a new show could take over in Spring, with Psycho-Pass returning for another 11 episodes after the Winter show concludes.

Such an arrangement would keep the programming fresh while allowing both shows not to be short changed in terms of content.
I do agree that it would've been more interesting as viewers to have at least one of the shows change every season, but I also think this could prove to be an interesting plan as well.

Here is my guess to why they decided to go down this road; it is to experiment with a new arrangement and see if it proves better than what had seen throughout the past 2 years, where we had shows of different genres airing back to back (e.g Usagi Drop/No.6, AnoHana/C, Fractale/Wandring Son) and they ended up producing some very mixed results. I recall some pointing out back then that it was actually harder for the slot to attract enough people to watch it, since the shows were of such different nature and aimed at different audiences, which made sense to me looking at the ratings and the general reactions them.

So what I think they are trying to do here is that they are trying to have both shows attract the same general audience (while maintaining a wide general appeal in order to better guaranty success) by having them both be by the same studio, be of similar/sharing genres (sci-fi), billed as something for a mature audience (but still with a typical anime touch) and have as many well known and respected names attached to them so that the audience would all be on the same wavelength and would be more likely to tune in to the next show after the first one ends. In a way it's trying to bring back a sense of harmony to noitaminA.

So in a sense, even if this seems safer and less exciting, I think that this arrangement is more along the lines to testing something new compared to what we had in the past.
Old 2012-09-14, 17:03   Link #439
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Just to add another point, we have seen SO MANY shows in recent times suffer from the 11-12 episode format. It prevented Kids on the Slope from being the quite near master piece it could have been. It also utterly destroyed shows like No.6. I can't express just how relieved I am to hear both these sci fi shows are getting two cours because of it. They would never develop properly otherwise.
Old 2012-09-14, 17:31   Link #440
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

I think that usually has more to do with the skill of the writer and the scope of the story being more suitable to fewer or more episodes, but I do think that having both series be two cours this time is better, if to only to experiment with the idea of having longer shows and seeing if they get to be better overall than shorter ones, even if I personally prefer the shorter approach.

Tags
action, psychological, science fiction, thriller