AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-09-24, 22:55   Link #1
velderia
Former NEET.

A Question about Light Novels

I'm not sure where to post this. Feel free to move this if I violated something.

I was just really wondering though... and I did some searching too.

Has there been an American who created a light novel (in English, with manga-styled illustrations)? Or, maybe I should ask has there been a English-speaking person who has created a light novel?

I've been wondering about making one myself when I have the opportunity. I'm good at drawing, but doing comics can be exhausting sometimes... I'm faster at writing than at drawing. Maybe I can self-publish through something like Lulu.
velderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-24, 23:06   Link #2
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by velderia View Post
I'm not sure where to post this. Feel free to move this if I violated something.

I was just really wondering though... and I did some searching too.

Has there been an American who created a light novel (in English, with manga-styled illustrations)? Or, maybe I should ask has there been a English-speaking person who has created a light novel?

I've been wondering about making one myself when I have the opportunity. I'm good at drawing, but doing comics can be exhausting sometimes... I'm faster at writing than at drawing. Maybe I can self-publish through something like Lulu.
I don't know of any American who has published a light novel that was picked up in Japan (though Megatokyo was recently picked up as an OEL manga to be produced in Japanese for Japan manga readers) .... Tokyopop keeps pushing the O.E.L. stuff so you might check their offerings. I could argue that English "light novels" have been around a long time.... the Hardy Boys, the Three Investigators, Nancy Drew, Tom Swift, etc.
Old 2009-09-24, 23:09   Link #3
LynnieS

Not to mention fanfics.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 00:49   Link #4
Clarste
Human

What do fanfics have to do with Light Novels?
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 07:01   Link #5
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉´)

Send a message via AIM to LiberLibri
Quote:
Originally Posted by velderia View Post
Carrie Asai has. The Japanese version was illustrated by 田倉トオル (TAGURA Toru).

If you aim at the Japanese market, then you should promote yourself strategically. It is not a bad way to apply to the Dengeki Illustration Contest, for example.
LiberLibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 11:44   Link #6
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
What do fanfics have to do with Light Novels?
In Japan, one form of self-publishing is done through the keitai, and the stories are usually pretty light. The writer uses his keitai to key in the story, chapter by chapter, and puts them online. His readers then go to read it. I believe that a few of the writers' works have been published in real life now.

Side note: Chinese writers have something similar, but they go through an online publisher like Qidian who, if they prove popular, will sign the writers to contracts. Once signed, future chapters then cost a few yuan each for the non-pirate readers. The really big writers get book and/or game deals.

Translated into Western terms, the writing part is closer to fanfic than the self-publication process, IMHO. If velderia is serious about doing an English version of the light novel, starting out - and then growing beyond - this way is one possibility.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 16:36   Link #7
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

Twilight (yes THAT one) is published in Japan in light novel format. They splitted the books into a smaller books, included shoujo manga styled illustrations. The four books are splited into 13 light novel sized books.

http://twilight.lost-star.org/manga.php

Despite it's not written as a novel, looks like Japan decided it's better to make it more like a light novel. As much as I dislike twilight, I think a light novel format seems to be a good format for it.
Old 2009-09-29, 17:41   Link #8
mg1942

This just in from YEN PRESS!

brilliant marketing or fail train?
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 18:17   Link #9
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Now, those shoujo illustrations may make Twilight actually more bearable.

As for this Spice and Wolf pic.... give me Horo. Thanks.
Old 2009-09-29, 18:36   Link #10
mg1942

For the new spice wolf novel to generate more sdales, I think yen press should make a spinoff company (still owned by Yen press) that specializes with novels. No matter how hard they try to make the cover look western it;'s still gonna be relegated to the manga section in Barnes & Novle because - It's yen press!

won't surprised if they change the spelling of her name to HOLO
Old 2009-09-29, 18:46   Link #11
Slice of Life
eyewitness

I've seen better Horo cosplay that particular costume. If you wanna call it costume.
Old 2009-09-29, 21:52   Link #12
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
This just in from YEN PRESS!

brilliant marketing or fail train?
Aye, this cover is being discussed inthe S&W forum... it only makes sense to me if they're going to shelve the books in the adult fiction section. I don't see it going anywhere good in the anime/manga section (fear the irate mothers who think anime/manga is for kids).

Now I think S&W *belongs* in the young adult or adult section (all that economics) but so far most bookstores automatically put light novel translations in with the other manga.
Old 2009-09-29, 21:59   Link #13
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

IMO, light novels are aimed at a slightly older audience. I mean: You are reading text. Given the stereotype of short attention spans among kids today....
Old 2009-09-29, 22:03   Link #14
mg1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Now I think S&W *belongs* in the young adult or adult section (all that economics) but so far most bookstores automatically put light novel translations in with the other manga.
and that's a problem
they just offended many manga fans with the cover and the majority non-manga fans will not pickup something near B&N's manga/comic section
Old 2009-09-29, 22:08   Link #15
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I'm not offended (non-fan here). It's just that the model's smile looks a little.... odd. I half expected Horo to be a sneering monster, judging by this cover.