AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-01-07, 00:55   Link #1
ClannadDango
A novice to anime

Anime/Visual Novels with Complex/Good Storylines?

I've distance myself from anime because I thought the stories were boring but once I saw Clannad I changed my opinion and started getting into the anime/manga/visual novel medium.

I wanted to know if there were any anime/manga/visual novels with complex, groundbreaking, or good storylines like:
Clannad
Kanon
Cross Channel
Ever 17
Saya no Uta
Umineko
Higurashi
Death Note
Paranoia Agent

I guess stories like Twilight Zone, X Files, Matrix, Inception and stuff that have complex storylines and are metaphysical but no so much as they are confusing and don't make sense. Stories that are still grounded in the real (modern) world.

Thanks
Old 2011-01-07, 02:07   Link #2
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

My two recs are Seirei no Moribito and Ghost Hound, both Production I.G. masterpieces from 2007. The first is a beautiful and moving character study with the finest animation of any TV series, IMO. The second is a disturbing, thoughtful and challenging mind-trip with unbelievably great sound and pretty damn good characters to boot.
Old 2011-01-07, 02:20   Link #3
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

On visual novels...

I recommend two.

Sharin no Kuni Himwari no Shoujo and its successor G Senjou no Maou. Both wonderful games.

I say this as someone who loved Ever17 and enjoyed Cross Channel.
Old 2011-01-07, 02:24   Link #4
ClannadDango
A novice to anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
My two recs are Seirei no Moribito and Ghost Hound, both Production I.G. masterpieces from 2007. The first is a beautiful and moving character study with the finest animation of any TV series, IMO. The second is a disturbing, thoughtful and challenging mind-trip with unbelievably great sound and pretty damn good characters to boot.
I've watched parts of Seirei no Moribito but never completely. But your blog article on it's character study sounds amazing. I will have to check it out.
Old 2011-01-07, 02:30   Link #5
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Tatami Galaxy. Like right now. Twilight Zone meets Groundhog Day, minus the fear and mystery and replacing it with the more mundane and intrapersonal.
Old 2011-01-07, 02:38   Link #6
ClannadDango
A novice to anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Tatami Galaxy. Like right now. Twilight Zone meets Groundhog Day, minus the fear and mystery and replacing it with the more mundane and intrapersonal.
Twilight Zone meets Groundhog Dog sounds like Higurashi or Haruhi's Endless Eight. Okay I will make sure to check out Tatami Galaxy.
Old 2011-01-07, 09:23   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'll second Enzo's suggestions and add Monster, especially as you're looking for "stories grounded in the real (modern) world."

Black Lagoon might also fit your request, though the stories aren't as deep as Monster. Some of the arcs are better than others, especially those in the second season.

I'd also suggest Dennou Coil. Don't be put off by its focus on elementary-school children. It's most definitely a complex story, though it has a near-future sci-fi aspect. Another excellent science-fiction show with young protagonists but a complex storyline is Noein.
Closed Thread

Tags
clannad, cross channel, inception, umineko, visual novels