AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2014-02-08, 00:58   Link #21
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

That "surveillance" one, probably explains while there are people coming back to their rooms with the doors left open or someone coming into their room at night, lol. But it could be those refugee's looking for a place to stay - which is a lot less funny.
Old 2014-02-08, 06:09   Link #22
james0246

I am impressed. Beyond the standard issue of whitewashing of history always found in these events, Sochi's Opening Ceremony was quite beautiful and very evocative. From the grand special effects and majestic spectacle of lights and sounds, to the sheer artistry of the costumes and staging, and the wonderful opening and closing, Sochi managed to fully impart a true sense of history and placement of Russia on the international stage. There'll be justifiable criticism of the Communist U.S.S.R. era depictions, but beyond that particularly sore point, the overall presentation was truly grand. Of particular spectacle was the opening video of a young girl reciting the Cyrillic alphabet, with each letter tied to a Russian contribution to world history leading to a wonderful depiction of the 9 unique "islands" that make up Russia; later the floor show managed to create a truly beautiful ocean setting with tumultuous waves; the War and Peace ballet was quite lovely; and the show closed on a simply sublime display of constellations representing the various disciplines of the Winter Games.

Sadly, NBC ruined the presentation with their incessant talking and their inability to understand basic framing. Too often entire images were destroyed simply because the NBC producers thought a close-up was needed when the events were never created with close-ups in mind. This was especially true of the ballet performances which were more or less ruined by the camera workers not understanding that ballet is more than just the hot girl getting twirled by the closest guy.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-08, 06:31   Link #23
Mr Hat and Clogs

I completely missed the opening ceremony, will have to look up a highlights video on youtube once my datacap resets.
Old 2014-02-08, 09:32   Link #24
konart

I strongly suggest to watch the entire thing instead of just highlights.
In case NBC was that bad, you can watch russian live rec.
Old 2014-02-08, 09:40   Link #25
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I'm honestly starting to wonder how the heck Sochi even managed to win their Olympic bid.
A lot of people thought that 7 years ago when they got the games over Salzburg, Austria, which was, far and away, the superior choice in every manner.

Anyway.... the Opening Ceremonies were gorgeous, of course, as I expected of the Russians. So much culture and history beyond the dark marks of their past (and there are plenty).

The 9-hour time difference is going to make watching a lot of my favorite events live an issue. I like a lot of the Nordic ski events, like the skiathlon this morning. Hopefully I'll be able to catch highlights on the Sochi or NBC page...

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-08, 10:13   Link #26
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
Do you have an online place in mind (that fits with this site's rules)? I refuse to watch NBC. Unbelievable incompetents and crassly American-centric. They failed with London and they will fail with Sochi.

I wonder if the BBC has some sort of recording.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-08, 11:09   Link #27
JagdPanther

I think NBC's coverage blows for a variety of reasons, but I have never really understood the whole argument about them being bad because they're "American-centric." It's an AMERICAN news channel. They're going to cater to their primary audience, which is, surprise, surprise, vastly American by citizenship.

Are they incompetent? Absolutely. But the American-centrism is completely justifiable, in my opinion. I wouldn't expect any other country's news outlets to be 100% impartial. If there are any, good for them.

Old 2014-02-08, 11:22   Link #28
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Are they incompetent? Absolutely. But the American-centrism is completely justifiable, in my opinion. I wouldn't expect any other country's news outlets to be 100% impartial. If there are any, good for them.
I would expect whoever have the right to broadcast here mainly on most finale and the performance of our athletes. That and most if not all the hockey match because that's what is most likely to interest Canadian audience
Old 2014-02-08, 11:49   Link #29
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
Live coverage of Games that is free exists? Can't afford to miss Asada vs Kim....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
A lot of people thought that 7 years ago when they got the games over Salzburg, Austria, which was, far and away, the superior choice in every manner.

Anyway.... the Opening Ceremonies were gorgeous, of course, as I expected of the Russians. So much culture and history beyond the dark marks of their past (and there are plenty).

The 9-hour time difference is going to make watching a lot of my favorite events live an issue. I like a lot of the Nordic ski events, like the skiathlon this morning. Hopefully I'll be able to catch highlights on the Sochi or NBC page...
It all just seems to be 1-4 minute long snippets though =/
Old 2014-02-08, 12:09   Link #30
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Live coverage of Games that is free exists? Can't afford to miss Asada vs Kim....
Sure. Plenty of illegal streams around. Some countries might stream their coverage. For the USA, NBC has "free" streaming of almost every event if you have cable/satellite service with an approved provider. I'm watching Luge runs right now and watched Men's 10k Biathlon earlier on NBC's website. We have DirecTV, which allows my family to watch every event online for free as part of our subscription to DTV.

Quote:
It all just seems to be 1-4 minute long snippets though =/
Yeah, true. If I recall, though, NBC eventually had entire events posted on the website for rewatching 4 years ago.

Old 2014-02-08, 13:00   Link #31
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Anyone see the photos of the living conditions for the olympians in Sochi? Pretty terrible

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-08, 14:29   Link #32
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

A Canadian gold-silver double in the Ladies' Moguls in freestyle skiing!!! We have 2 sisters, Justine (gold) and Chloe (silver) Dufour-Lapointe winning this. Irrepressible performance by the sisters. They also have an older sister, Maxime, who participated in the same discipline today.

Also, hats off to Aiko Uemura of Japan for giving a solid performance overall with a 4th place at her 5th participation at the Olympics.

Bravo aux 2 championnes de chez nous, ŕ Montréal!!!

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2014-02-08 at 21:15.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-08, 15:28   Link #33
sbg711

An information war is in full swing to aid the always politically beneficial russophobia of western states.
I've skimmed through all of the supposed "issues" reported. And honestly speaking, their insignificance compared to how much attention is given to them, is just comical. You could scoop just as much bullshit, if not more, anywhere from Japan to Canada. The expenses were huge because the city's infrastructure was built from scratch. Funds weren't just used to host the event, but to give the city enough resources and life force to last a century as a resort.

Other than that. Magnificent opening ceremony. I hoped they'd put extra focus on Russia's 17th-19th century history. And they did it splendidly.

sbg711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-08, 17:40   Link #34
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Oh look who wrote an article here!

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2014-02-08 at 18:33.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-08, 18:05   Link #35
Mr Hat and Clogs

Wrong thread?
Old 2014-02-08, 18:19   Link #36
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Wrong thread?
I already wrote him. I expect an edit soon.
Old 2014-02-08, 18:34   Link #37
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Fixed. I think my smartphone is dying.

Thanks Kira. Owe you one.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2014-02-08, 18:46   Link #38
Mr Hat and Clogs

http://dailycurrant.com/2014/02/08/m...dead-in-sochi/ Sounds legit.
Old 2014-02-08, 18:54   Link #39
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Quote:
But who knows what caused them. Maybe he tripped and fell on a set of knives. Right now we’re ruling this an accidental death.
The FSB or GRU this time round?

Old 2014-02-08, 19:02   Link #40
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
“It’s terrible when accidents like this happen. But then again, maybe Mr. Avdeyev should have thought twice before he screwed up the Olympics. Accidents tend to happen to people who betray Russia.”
WTF? How can anybody even dare speaking this kind of crap out loud?

I'm absolutely gutted and disgusted when reading this kind of stuff.

Tags
olympics