AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Amagami SS

Notices

View Poll Results: Amagami SS - Episode 20 Rating
Perfect 10 3 4.55%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 4 6.06%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 25.76%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 15.15%
6 out of 10 : Average 11 16.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 9 13.64%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 3.03%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.52%
1 out of 10 : Painful 9 13.64%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-21, 04:24   Link #61
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumine View Post
This video was my exact reaction to this episode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laiVjd1q-hw
That never gets old.

On the side, it also answers my questions as to why the raw for 20 was so dang late.
Old 2010-11-21, 05:31   Link #62
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Worst. Ending. EVER!
Old 2010-11-21, 05:37   Link #63
MikeyGrey
believe...

got some f/sn & clannad flashbacks from the trees but thats pretty much it. ending ruined the rest

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2010-11-21, 09:00   Link #64
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagayaki View Post
Even if nice guys finish last, that's irrelevant here. Finishing last implies someone beat you. Rihoko didn't lose so that someone else could win. She just flat out lost. Nobody won here.

The motivation for an omnibus romance is to explore multiple relationship possibilities, which didn't happen here. Nothing happened in this arc that couldn't have happened in the other arcs.

However, there are some perfectly good stories where the main couple never gets together. Even with the friendship ending, this arc would've been fine if the writers had shown us things about the characters we didn't already know, or had the characters or their relationships with one another change and grow through their experiences during the arc. But neither of these happened.

People graduated, a new member joined the club, people slept through things and ate a lot of sweets. It was a crappified version of K-on. If they were doing slice-of-life instead of romance for this arc, they should've at least done a good job of it.

tl;dr: Nothing of value happened in this arc. Rihoko got the shaft, but so did the viewers. Way to screw up, writers.
well.. this is slightly off topic, but let me explain

when you are called a "nice guy" that is just lip service

what they really mean is "There is nothing really noteworthy about this person. This person is plain. This person doesn't have an exciting personality"

And sadly, that describes Rihoko

Now, from what I understand she had a different personality in the manga (perhaps more drive?), so things folded out differently.

So I'm sorry, "nice guys" finish last for a reason.

And to my understanding, not all arcs use the best ending anyway. I believe only Haruka and Ai's arc used their best endings.
Old 2010-11-21, 09:03   Link #65
Used Can

I think I can understand what they tried to do with Rihoko's arc, since, rather than following the typical formula in which the guy suddenly starts a relationship with girl and they hit it off, here we had an already established relationship (much different than what he had with Kaoru) and instead of developing quickly into romance, we're shown them as best friends with the open possibility that, maybe, one day they'll get into a romantic relationship.

The problem is, when you're dealing with a romance anime, in which all the girls are getting their romantic end, most people pretty much want to see how it turns out with every single girl. So, when you have an arc with barely any romantic development and without a romantic end, many fans are bound to be displeased - especially considering how cute and endearing Rihoko can be.

I cannot call it a bad arc on itself, since it tried to deliver a theme and story and it did it. However, in my opinion, that simply didn't fit this anime and left me with a bad after-taste.

I'm really hoping they won't ruin Tsukasa's arc.

Anyway, Haruka keeps being awesome. If there was a main female in this anime, it'd definitely be her. Even if Ai is my favourite from the game and the mangas, Haruka is the best girl in the anime. She seriously can brighten an episode.
Old 2010-11-21, 09:14   Link #66
Kagayaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
well.. this is slightly off topic, but let me explain

when you are called a "nice guy" that is just lip service

what they really mean is "There is nothing really noteworthy about this person. This person is plain. This person doesn't have an exciting personality"

And sadly, that describes Rihoko

Now, from what I understand she had a different personality in the manga (perhaps more drive?), so things folded out differently.

So I'm sorry, "nice guys" deserve to finish last.
Maybe I wasn't clear in my previous post. "Nice guys" generally do finish last. But I don't really care whether or not Rihoko ended up with Junichi.

What I meant was that the writers should have added more character development in order to make the arc interesting. Which they didn't.

A growing romantic relationship is of many, many ways they could've done this. But as it stands, the characters are still pretty much the same at the end as they were in the beginning, and we didn't learn much about them that we didn't already know.

So we basically agree that as she is portrayed in this arc, Rihoko is boring and doesn't really try to do anything to change herself or her situation. I'm saying that maybe better writers could have brought out something more interesting in her, even if it didn't involve romance.

Last edited by Kagayaki; 2010-11-21 at 09:26.
Old 2010-11-21, 10:56   Link #67
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Subs for episode 20

キタ━━━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━━━!!!!!

Welp...

Spoiler for ep 20:

One of the progress yet not progress... Bah.

Last edited by SageGaiGar; 2010-11-21 at 11:22.
Old 2010-11-21, 11:23   Link #68
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

Quote:

That was well done. Whoever did the script for that totally nailed it.

I wasn't tied to having a "good" end for all the girls, but I'm not surprised they've mixed it up for each of the girls.
Old 2010-11-21, 22:16   Link #69
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah kind of disappointed at the ending. You could see it coming, but still wish they had moved things along. Instead have the likely result down the road of them ending up as a couple. But don't actually see it happen. Of course with Junichi not being that sharp in this kind of thing and Rihoko having no rush to get anything to happen here is where you have it. I mean the tea club and Kanae can only do so much, the rest was up to them.

At least the tea club survived .
Old 2010-11-22, 02:29   Link #70
Dr. Casey

I liked episode 20 Rihoko was the best she is a great heroine I enjoyed watching this episode and I don't think Rihoko's fat
Old 2010-11-22, 02:37   Link #71
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Yeah kind of disappointed at the ending. You could see it coming, but still wish they had moved things along. Instead have the likely result down the road of them ending up as a couple. But don't actually see it happen. Of course with Junichi not being that sharp in this kind of thing and Rihoko having no rush to get anything to happen here is where you have it. I mean the tea club and Kanae can only do so much, the rest was up to them.

At least the tea club survived .

Are you suggesting Rihoko's Arc be renamed to The Tea Club Arc? Because I think that's brilliant
Old 2010-11-22, 02:38   Link #72
Dr. Casey

Of course, everything Flare says is brilliant.
Old 2010-11-22, 04:48   Link #73
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

In the end I still preferred Kanae and the two tea club members to Rihoko , so I am not really disappointed by this, and though romance didn't develop I did still enjoy the episode and I was glad Junich did at least join the tea club so she wouldn't be alone.

P.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itlandm View Post
Nut even if not, I think this series is a strong contender for "most wasted potential award 2010". So much good art, so much dumb script.
No, trust me that award undoubtedly is deserved by Mayoi Neko Overrun, I am sure anyone who's seen it would agree with me sadly.
MAL
Old 2010-11-22, 06:23   Link #74
Sai Feng
Yo-poko! O_O

They better make a 45-minute OVA retelling Rihoko's arc.

Trap + Ponytail + Mini-skirt + Stockings = Deadly Combo
Old 2010-11-22, 09:05   Link #75
Arnavion

What are you guys talking about? It was a happy end! The tea club survived and might even get new members!

What? You mean the arc wasn't about the tea club? Even though that was the major focus of every episode? Some girl named Rihoko?

Quote:

Help I can't stop laughing...
Old 2010-11-22, 11:58   Link #76
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Yeah, that was the feeling I got about this. It's more about the tea farking club than Rihoko. As someone else said, it felt more like a slice-of-life show rather than a romance one.

I mean seriously, Haruka gets an effing time skip to when she actually is already married to Junichi, and we get this for Rihoko? All I ask for is for a peck in the cheek, or even just a tight hug between the two, and we don't even get that?

I mean, I get all the undertones of the 4 episodes dedicated to her. From the motto persistence is key, the tea club symbolizing their romantic relationship, that before it was only Rihoko in the tea club as was her one-sided love, that before she needed her sempai's help with her love, that now Junichi is also in the tea club helping to keep it going and she doesn't need her sempai anymore, that once they graduate from the tea club their love will graduate also to the next level, etc... but goddamnit, I want something more tangible. I mean, other girls got it... why not even one small ounce for Rihoko?

Grr... makes me mad. Oh well, at least I thought Kaoru's was very well done, and that was the osananajimi-like ending that I expected for Rihoko as well. But alas, it ain't to be. Yar... >_>

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2010-11-22, 15:47   Link #77
msg

I've to admit I'm fairly dissappointed of how they handle this series, it could've done better..sigh.I could even say kimikiss is tad better than amagami.The directors who is doing this series should be shot
Old 2010-11-22, 16:59   Link #78
pikachuwei

that hitler's vid

and the start of ep 20 basically described our thoughts

WHAT?! NO PROGRESS?

my theory that haruka end is the real ending of all paths of amagami still stands~
Old 2010-11-22, 17:45   Link #79
Dr. Casey

What a tragic ending Amagami SS has if that's the case.
Old 2010-11-22, 17:51   Link #80
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
The directors who is doing this series should be shot
I think that's going just a tad bit to far..