AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Ore no Imouto

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-03, 00:29   Link #61
jedinat

Kyousuke's character doesn't make any sense to me. You don't go from being a regular brother who largely ignores his sister to suddenly some kind of desperate servant descended from a long line of servants who give their lives in service to their queen, and then proceed to hover strangely between the two personalities.
Old 2010-11-03, 03:34   Link #62
vaden
0118 999 881 999 119 7253

I think part of Kyousuke's motivation is to be a desire to keep his family relationships from getting completely upended as Kirino becomes more comfortable with her otaku identity — something that wouldn't be happening in the first place if he hadn't encouraged her to be more open about it, so he feels some responsibility in the matter. He's obviously not happy with his relationship with his sister, but letting Kirino lose the support of her father or her best friend partly as a result of his intervention would only make things more tumultuous between the two of them. Kyousuke is only going to catch the blowback from what happens to her if he doesn't step in.
Old 2010-11-03, 06:55   Link #63
Kamonichan

One complication is that I'm not sure if Kyousuke really knows which life he wants to lead. I can say that, hearing your younger sibling say that you abandoned them, though, that can really get to you. And it stays with you. Clever girl, Kirino. Clever girl.
Old 2010-11-03, 23:19   Link #64
shaolinx
Kani Fascination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamonichan View Post
One complication is that I'm not sure if Kyousuke really knows which life he wants to lead. I can say that, hearing your younger sibling say that you abandoned them, though, that can really get to you. And it stays with you. Clever girl, Kirino. Clever girl.
Clever, manipulative, and selfish... worst possible combination. No wonder why he abandoned her the first time :P
Old 2010-11-04, 13:40   Link #65
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Kyousuke's character doesn't make any sense to me. You don't go from being a regular brother who largely ignores his sister to suddenly some kind of desperate servant descended from a long line of servants who give their lives in service to their queen, and then proceed to hover strangely between the two personalities.
It hasn't been revealed why yet, but Kyousuke and Kirini mutually ignored one another. When Kirino begged for "life counseling," one thing led to another and they started talking again.
Old 2010-11-04, 15:27   Link #66
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
The part of ignoring started on episode 5, where Kirino outright said that Kyousuke was ignoring her from his life for the majority of Kirino's lifetime. So they just naturally got along with spacing the other out of their lives as much as possible.

Then Kyousuke found the eroge game, which is Kirino's most precious treasure (little sisters ftw?) if Kyousuke just gave the game back to Kirino and not cared, then it would still go on with ignoring eachother. But he actually wanted answers, and he then got himself into a situation involving Kirino.

Kyousuke's dream in the very first episode involving his little sister completely looking different, and looking cute was probably a desperation dream of him finally wanting to get along with his sister. Well that's just an assumption by the way. Especially with the funny thing going around with everyone talking about little sisters
Old 2010-11-05, 05:31   Link #67
Kamonichan

That's true. I personally found it hilarious that a loving-sister Kirino was so far out there to Kyousuke that he rejected the possibility even in his own dream. I'm hoping for a backstory episode where they examine Kyousuke and Kirino's falling out.
Old 2010-11-05, 11:28   Link #68
ChainLegacy
廉頗

The bit about them ignoring one another makes her love for the eroge more interesting. Perhaps she has some kind of mental issue regarding no affection from her brother, and turned to the fantasy world to alleviate those feelings?

Though I have to agree with what others are saying regarding his bizarre personality. What I find especially strange is the amount of bravado and guts he had when he confronted his father and his complete inability to stand up to Kirino? That house needs a dose of Confucian values imo, lol...
Old 2010-11-05, 18:13   Link #69
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
The bit about them ignoring one another makes her love for the eroge more interesting. Perhaps she has some kind of mental issue regarding no affection from her brother, and turned to the fantasy world to alleviate those feelings?
I think the Kirino thread has a good estimate of what Kirino was like when the "alienating" started, and why Kirino went into the world of eroge
Old 2010-11-07, 20:23   Link #70
GundamZZ
残念美人

I think Kyousuke is already. He is supposed to represent the viewers. He is like viewers' avatar. At the beginning, he receives the rude and degrading treatment from her Kirino and his dad. Story wise, it's logical to build up this uneasy atmosphere. Once, the tension reaches the peak. Krino and his dad will treat him differently. I think they will treat him with TLC (Tender Loving Caring). I think he will have difficult time to adjust. Kirino surely this ionic behavior from her dad. About the comment "you don't look like your sister at all". I think it's a good source doujinshi material.
Old 2010-11-07, 23:43   Link #71
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
It hasn't been revealed why yet, but Kyousuke and Kirini mutually ignored one another. When Kirino begged for "life counseling," one thing led to another and they started talking again.
While Kyousuke ignored Kirino, I think that Kirino started avoiding him once she started liking eroge, since she wasn't sure how he would react and was afraid of how he might react rather that ignoring him. And by the way she talked to him after he found the DVD, she was really afraid of how he would react.
MAL
Old 2010-11-08, 04:58   Link #72
Kamonichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
While Kyousuke ignored Kirino, I think that Kirino started avoiding him once she started liking eroge, since she wasn't sure how he would react and was afraid of how he might react rather that ignoring him. And by the way she talked to him after he found the DVD, she was really afraid of how he would react.
Well, Kirino admits that she didn't tell anyone about her eroge hobby because she was afraid of how they would react. So to me it seems like she was just treating him as "the other," just some person who happened to live next door (albeit it the next door down the hallway). I think the fact that Kyousuke's father is so distant is probably why Kyousuke doesn't believe all the news reports that all the other non-otaku seem to obsess over. If Kyousuke and his father had a closer relationship, Kyousuke would probably be more like him.

Of course, I find it interesting that the eroge was the flag that started raising all these other flags. Wish it would be the same with me, but alas, some people have all the luck. Most of them are in Japan for some reason.
Old 2010-11-15, 17:36   Link #73
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Now things are getting more interesting for Kyousuke.

The tension between an incest relationship with Kirino, or a relationship with his childhood Manami is getting quite serious. In episode 7, where Manami overhears that Kyousuke and Kirino are in a hotel together will probably get her thinking "o.o"
Old 2010-11-16, 11:36   Link #74
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Now things are getting more interesting for Kyousuke.

The tension between an incest relationship with Kirino, or a relationship with his childhood Manami is getting quite serious. In episode 7, where Manami overhears that Kyousuke and Kirino are in a hotel together will probably get her thinking "o.o"
Yeah thats one of my fave scenes in this series, he should have just said he was with a girl and left it at that.

i guess he didn't want to hurt Manami's feelings tho.
Old 2010-11-16, 16:38   Link #75
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdestroy View Post
Yeah thats one of my fave scenes in this series, he should have just said he was with a girl and left it at that.

i guess he didn't want to hurt Manami's feelings tho.
Yeah, if he said he was with a girl, it might cause Manami to either get jealous and sad in a way, or she will actually be happy for him for finding a girlfriend, and Kyousuke will think she misunderstood.
Old 2010-11-16, 22:15   Link #76
Kamonichan

He could have just explained what happened. The script would have been something like this:
"Kirino got splashed with water, so we went into a love hotel."
"Convenient that there are always love hotels around when someone is unexpectedly splashed by water."
"Well, as you know, Japanese love hotels are attracted to rain and unexpected splashing bodies of water, so it kind of snuck up on us."
"Of course."
Old 2010-11-16, 22:18   Link #77
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamonichan View Post
He could have just explained what happened. The script would have been something like this:
"Kirino got splashed with water, so we went into a love hotel."
"Convenient that there are always love hotels around when someone is unexpectedly splashed by water."
"Well, as you know, Japanese love hotels are attracted to rain and unexpected splashing bodies of water, so it kind of snuck up on us."
"Of course."
That completely caught me off guard nice script Kamonichan
Old 2010-11-29, 15:19   Link #78
kitten320

I feel sorry for the guy, to live with someone as ungreatful as Kirino is hard. Can't believe that some people are mad at him when he shouts at Kirino -_-

I seriously don't understand why he is dealing with allof that especially when he was ignoring her before.
Old 2010-12-21, 03:49   Link #79
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
You know, the more I reflect on the character of Kyousuke, it feels like he's really depressed. It's a shame, because we don't really know why, but it's clear that he has no motives in life. In fact, what true person desires to be average? He wants to have an average, non-eventful life. And yet, he doesn't have the timid personality to show he's afraid of life or responsibility or the big world out there. He feels rather misanthropic if you consider the way he treats other people and he assumed that his family automatically didn't care for him as much as his sister.

In a way, it's almost deserving. If he doesn't want to live that kind of life and has that kind of attitude, why should people even treat him that way? It makes more sense on how this family is related, yet at the same time it makes it twice as dysfunctional.

I've been really wondering if Kyousuke getting obsessive over his sister's life has really brought him any good, and I'm starting to believe that it has. It's subconscious in a way, because it felt like he had total disregard for people in general. But being around Kirino, has gotten him more accustomed to people. It's almost like in the first episode, there Otaku-stigmatism was in full-effect, but Kyousuke was on the completely opposite side of the spectrum of being a depressed, normal man with no fulfilling desires or wants of life.

Does anyone think that was the point of this character?
Old 2010-12-30, 14:23   Link #80
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
I think at times, this guy is a non-entity. He has nothing to strive for, no goals, no passion, no sense of pride to be a person. He is perhaps a real non-person male lead.

Tags
characters